Professor Layton

[quote name='Warner1281']where'd you get a hidden door code?!? I thought it was included in the manual for the upcomgin sequel.

In other news, I finished the game last night. Definitely a fun game and I look forward to a sequel. I had the "plot" figured out well before the end of the game, but it was fun nonetheless. The last few bonus puzzles were killer though. Ugh. Stupid red princess boxes and 8 queens were about to make me break the DS.[/quote]

I'm going to have to cheat on the Grand Master Princess in a Box. I looked on Gamefaqs just to see what I was up again and the minimum number of moves is something like 89. Yeah, no thanks, count me out.

[quote name='Warner1281']where'd you get a hidden door code?!? I thought it was included in the manual for the upcomgin sequel.

In other news, I finished the game last night. Definitely a fun game and I look forward to a sequel. I had the "plot" figured out well before the end of the game, but it was fun nonetheless. The last few bonus puzzles were killer though. Ugh. Stupid red princess boxes and 8 queens were about to make me break the DS.[/quote]

There's an action replay code that will give it to you.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm going to have to cheat on the Grand Master Princess in a Box. I looked on Gamefaqs just to see what I was up again and the minimum number of moves is something like 89. Yeah, no thanks, count me out.[/quote]

My final move count was in the 700's. I got her out, but I'll be damned if the guards weren't bloody and beaten as I shoved their fat asses in the tiny spaces.

Princess in a Box will haunt my dreams forever. And if I ever really see a Princess in a Box... that's where she'll stay. She's on her own.

[quote name='chair_home']Princess in a Box will haunt my dreams forever. And if I ever really see a Princess in a Box... that's where she'll stay. She's on her own.[/quote]

Agreed. That's the only puzzle I have left.

[quote name='pete5883']This week's puzzle is up.

It's an easy one.
[/quote]

This week was pretty easy, but I liked it.

I've only downloaded the first weekly puzzle so far, because I'm still working my way through the main game (93 puzzles solved and about to head into the tower). When you download the weekly puzzles, does it erase the old one, or can you download and have them all on there at once? Do you have to download the puzzle the week it is available?

[quote name='spydey']This week was pretty easy, but I liked it.[/quote]

Agreed! Once I figured out exactly what was being asked, I couldn't help but smile :D:applause:

I haven't bought this game because I tried the demo on the web and I couldn't see how this was any better than a book of puzzles. Plus the demo puzzle was a very old puzzle that I've done before. I can't remember the solution, mind you, but the idea of solving a puzzle I've done before doesn't exactly excite me. Is the game just a collection of old puzzles, or is there anything new in it?

[quote name='Tybee']I've only downloaded the first weekly puzzle so far, because I'm still working my way through the main game (93 puzzles solved and about to head into the tower). When you download the weekly puzzles, does it erase the old one, or can you download and have them all on there at once? Do you have to download the puzzle the week it is available?[/quote]

No, it doesn't erase the old one. The newly downloaded puzzle is added to a list of the previously downloaded ones. Also, you don't have to download it the week it's available - it'll automatically download any previous weeks' puzzles, as well.

[quote name='crunchewy']I haven't bought this game because I tried the demo on the web and I couldn't see how this was any better than a book of puzzles. Plus the demo puzzle was a very old puzzle that I've done before. I can't remember the solution, mind you, but the idea of solving a puzzle I've done before doesn't exactly excite me. Is the game just a collection of old puzzles, or is there anything new in it?[/quote]

It's pretty much old puzzles or puzzles you would find in a book with a story wrapped around it.

Finished all 120 puzzles and the main game last night. You guys actually had me really apprehensive about the tower, but I actually did not find it all that challenging compared to what I expected. Princess in a Box was tricky, but not THAT bad (unless you were anal and wanted to do it in the least amount of moves).

I really liked the ending, even if it was a little vague. To wit:
It's all well and good that they want the town to go on forever, but what happens after Bruno dies (which looks like it will be pretty soon)? Who will maintain the robots then? And now that the town has served its purpose, why would Bruno even want to keep things going? They really needed a scene with him at the end to tie things up a bit more.

But in general, the charming story and characters, great music and cutscenes, along with all the cool unlockables really made this game for me. That's why I love this game but was bored to tears by Brain Age and Big Brain Academy. Made it seem like there was a purpose to all of it...A goal.

Now to start making my way through all the bonus puzzles!

Oh, anyone know if it's possible to download the music from the game anywhere?

[quote name='Tybee']
I really liked the ending, even if it was a little vague. To wit:
It's all well and good that they want the town to go on forever, but what happens after Bruno dies (which looks like it will be pretty soon)? Who will maintain the robots then? And now that the town has served its purpose, why would Bruno even want to keep things going? They really needed a scene with him at the end to tie things up a bit more.
[/QUOTE]

I speculated on this to a large degree, but no one really responded to it.

I still haven't figured out W-5. :(

*edit* I must have put it in wrong the first time. I started putting in answers I already tried, and I got it.

[quote name='Tybee']Oh, anyone know if it's possible to download the music from the game anywhere?[/quote]I posted a link back here: LINK

[quote name='Tybee']So apparently the "downloadable" puzzles aren't actually being downloaded. They're already on the cart and are just unlocked via an online key when you connect. Not a big deal, but interesting.

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/03/21/professor-layton-and-the-unlocked-content/

For those that are curious, there are a total of
puzzles all told.[/quote]

Yep, if you have an action replay you can unlock them. I think most people already knew this.

Just got this game off of Goozex and I'm definitely impressed by the animation so far. Good to see a DS game do something a little more than static images and text (although they do some of that as well).

I'm only through 2 puzzles as I didn't have much time, but I dig the style so far.

Me too... waiting for this and Advance Wars: DoR...
[quote name='Snake2715']I patiently await my copy from Goozex[/quote]

I had no interest in this game as I hate PC style adventure games and I hate Level 5...but I just read the Game Informer review, and I'm actually really intrigued now.

It sounds like these puzzles are more like things you might get in a puzzle game almost, versus a PC style adventure game? The two example puzzles they give at the top of the review were actually fun, but I don't know...does this get really hard?

Given that I hate PC style adventures, should I still try to pick this up for $21? I even got burnt out on the first Phoneix Wright before I beat it (had to fight to make it through the last couple of chapters)...so given that, should I even bother with this?

You won't like it. It's an excellent game and you have a history of not liking such things, and I'd rather not have you come back in here and complain about it later.

[quote name='Vegan']

PS You are the enemy of fun.[/QUOTE]

Good one!

say its only $21, but I know you seem to voice your opinion about dislikes. I hardly ever come across them though so its no big deal to me. They are like brain teasers over standard adventure fair... the big complaint I hear is the puzzles are in no way related to the story... so with that being said maybe you will happily finish your first "adventure" game? Its worth more than the $21 on ebay even used, so its really no loss.

I finished this the other day from gamefly and it's probably my favorite game on the DS. I got through every puzzle but that last one (135) was ridiculous! I had to cheat on that one and the "GECY NW" one too. That puzzle drove me insane too. Lost some sleep on both of those.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I had no interest in this game as I hate PC style adventure games and I hate Level 5...but I just read the Game Informer review, and I'm actually really intrigued now.

It sounds like these puzzles are more like things you might get in a puzzle game almost, versus a PC style adventure game? The two example puzzles they give at the top of the review were actually fun, but I don't know...does this get really hard?

Given that I hate PC style adventures, should I still try to pick this up for $21? I even got burnt out on the first Phoneix Wright before I beat it (had to fight to make it through the last couple of chapters)...so given that, should I even bother with this?[/QUOTE]

Get it. It's far from PC adventure games. The only puzzles I'd consider "really hard" are after you've already beaten the game.

[quote name='pete5883']Get it. It's far from PC adventure games. The only puzzles I'd consider "really hard" are after you've already beaten the game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It does look interesting, and I adore the art style. Not sure if I can get Target to actually honor that coupon though. :D

I like to play my DS a bit before going to bed. This habit just started recently,a nd its quite fun.

This game may break that habit as I just get pissed off, and or want to get out a notepad... cant do that in the dark. Damn you Layton!

[quote name='Snake2715']I like to play my DS a bit before going to bed. This habit just started recently,a nd its quite fun.

This game may break that habit as I just get pissed off, and or want to get out a notepad... cant do that in the dark. Damn you Layton![/QUOTE]

I think I've done that too with portable games, but most of the time the game I'm currently playing is either too stressful or too involving. Can't remember what it was I did that with but it was a fun way to finish a day.

this one is my favorite:
2008-03-11.png

Oddly enough, Professor Layton was one of the showcase showdown prizes on Price Is Right primetime last night. It was in a group of items like a Wii and some DSs.

This week's downloadable puzzle is kind of up to interpretation.

While I got the correct answer - mosquito - on my first try, I thought about the problem some more and decided that vampire might also be an acceptable answer. I haven't tried it, but something tells me that it won't be considered correct.

Anyone still playing this? I put it down a while back for what was to be a short time because I was stymied on a couple puzzles...and it turned into a long time.

So I'm at 112 puzzles found, 107 puzzles solved, and no hint coins used (nor hints from anywhere/anyone else). Trying to finish it w/o using any hints at all...but I don't know how long that'll last.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Has there been any news on a release for the second game?[/quote]Well, NA got the first one one year after the JP release. Hopefully we'll see the second around the end of November. No news, though, just conjecture.

Based on what appears to be the total number of puzzles, I am about 2/3 of the way through this game. A few days ago I remembered about the downloadable puzzles, so I snagged them and burned through them in about an hour while laying in bed.

I have had a very strict no spoiler no cheat no walkthrough policy on all of my games for the past 3 years. I have only had a few puzzles really give me pause and one was due to what was probably a bad translation (the instructions given used a word incorrectly, I forget which). I have no hesitation to use hint coins if I get stuck. I have probably used about 8 coins so far and I have about 40 in pocket.

This is a great game and one of my reasons for purchasing a DS. It's also the most expensive DS game I have ever bought ($30). I have a $25 or less policy on DS games, but this one was a must-buy.

bread's done
Back