Professor Layton

I bought it, too, and it arrived on the same day as Apollo Justice. How to get that one by the wife? "Honey, this one has brainteasers and puzzles, I think you'll like it. Why don't you take it first?" (while I play my way through Apollo.) he he he. Sucker!

So... I'm glad they decided not to include many impossible puzzles in the story chapters. #133 and the first downloadable puzzle have stumped me thoroughly.

I just finished the game. I really enjoyed getting away from violence, and just solving puzzles for a while. I thought all the puzzles were very entertaining, and I really enjoyed it, more than any other DS game. The only close DS game that was nearly as good was Phantom Hourglass in my opinion. It took me about 8 hours to finish, and I loved it the whole way through.

Totally disappointed w/ the weekly puzzle today. Way too easy. Was hoping for more matchsticks...I like the matchstick puzzles.

this game is awesome, perfect for the airplane. very well done, the art style is great. ( i heard its by that guy who did that one oscar nominated animated movie.) its a pretty good story too, im not that far though. Better keep playing!

[quote name='Backlash']Got this for Valentine's Day (yes my wife rocks) and started playing it Friday night. I can't put it down. I love it. So far I'm about 60-odd puzzles in, plus 7 or 8 hidden puzzles that I've found.

The puzzles aren't too too easy (mostly) but they're also not so hard that they're frustrating. There's only been one so far I haven't solved, and that's just cause I don't want to do the math (the multiplying mice puzzle).[/quote]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL that one is so easy... think about it.... you take ((((ONE))))) mouse home. if you don't figure that one out your lamo.

[quote name='Strell']Edit: Yes, Miss Gwen. I like games with nice protagonists, too. Since you probably thought I didn't. Jerk.[/quote]:sitting here looking the picture of innocence and virtue:
Jerk? I? Sir, you offend me, I don't know of what you speak.

...so I said, "pretentious?! Moi?!!"

[quote name='SpottedNigel']The more I play, the funnier that PA comic gets.
2 Hours in and loving it... the music is great.[/quote]Agreed and agreed. Lately, some of my favorite music to have playing is from adventure types. Gotta check to see if Galbadia has it yet.

[quote name='Strell']Question/slight annoyance:
When you're climbing the tower and going through all the doors, the ...oh I guess it's the seventh one. It shows a pegboard and asks you to make seven squares, but can only use each peg once.

DO NOT GIVE ME HINTS.

All I wanted to complain about was that the square-detection/conditions for victory sort of annoy me. Cuz I found a way to make seven using overlap. I.e., I had these two big squares, and their corners overlapped each other, forming a third square. In my mind, that counts, but the game didn't count it. So now I've got to look for a way to do it where I'm making all the squares, but I think that shows more creativity on my own part than the game's.

There's been a few other puzzles where my thinking leads me to believe that I've got the correct solution (and I'm not talking about the trick questions or anything), but the game isn't seeing something the way I am. This isn't one of those situations where I thought I was right, it's one where I could easily prove something satisfies the conditions of the puzzle, but the game just isn't built to recognize it.

Dunno if anyone else agrees. Game is still fantastic. This is one of the best games for the DS, easily.
[/quote]There have been at least a couple where the game logic is not equal to all possible answers. The peg/7 square puzzle is one of them. I too, found a completely legitimate answer to that puzzle and it was rejected. Then I got mind-tunnel-vision and had a hard time seeing the "correct" solution.

[quote name='sqyxzylyx']The most annoying puzzle so far is the cake with GECY NW. I used all the hints and still unable to decode the message. I had to use google to figure this one out.[/quote]The only clue I needed was the "text thumb" clue. Soon as I heard that, I knew the secret message because I use my phones a lot, but I rarely ever speak into them.

I'm finished, solved every puzzle I found (still missing one, but I don't remember what the puzzle number is) some at first try, some took a clue or more work. But all in all some good brain teasers. I did wish the mystery was more involved. As in, less pixel-hunting for puzzles. But it is what it is; a cute way to present some lateral thinking challanges.

Some other random thoughts I've had since beating the game and slowly working through the remaining puzzles/bonus puzzles. For the record, I am somewhat OCD about such things, and like to consider the world/universe of the game itself. So if you want to be a jerk and say that I over-analyze and whatnot, then yes, I do, but you're still a jerk.

#117 asks you to paint a cube with three colors - red, blue, and yellow - in "as many possible ways as you can without repeating patterns such that no two faces that touch use the same color." The answer is that there's only one way to do this, which requires two opposite faces to be one color (think the top and bottom of the cube) and the remaining four faces to alternate the other two colors.

But...we're given primary colors. Which makes me immediately think that you could always mix them and make other colors easily (orange, green, and purple at the least), which would increase the number. I didn't try to guess the number of combinations using mixing, but I did consider it heavily before I just put in the correct answer of 1. Since the only caveat the puzzles gives is "don't leave anything blank," I could see someone struggling with this.

It doesn't say anything about what you can/cannot do with the paint, nor does it give you any guidelines on how much paint you have. I guess if it did give you restrictions, it would be a little more clear. No big deal I suppose, but it's still something to consider. Would have been nice if they'd given us a guideline about no mixing OR gave us something other than primary colors.

Re: Recap - I agree there should be both a skip option you can set somewhere AND a button should allow you to skip. I like the recaps, but one of the big rules of all gaming should be that you can skip such things if you want.

Re: Residents of Mystere - So we learn that they are robots maintained by Bruno (I think that's his name), who is doing it to fulfill the dying wish of the late baron Reinhold. St. Mystere is basically one gigantic gift to his daughter such that she can grow up in a living environment that is very loving toward her, and anyone who can solve all the puzzles becomes her guardian.

But this raises some interesting things to think about. For example, it doesn't look like Bruno has any apprentice. So what happens when he dies? I guess the robots eventually keel over and everyone treats them as dead? And if so, do they bury them? Obvoiusly the idea of a grave has to be in their memories (given the grave of ...Violet? The late mom), and I imagine that the robots have AI sophisticated enough to learn/adapt. Since Bruno always kidnaps them, I wonder what they'd do when he's not around.

Also, does Flora interact with them much? If she does, then wouldn't they wonder why only she ages/grows older? I can't imagine the robots being so advanced that they age, so wouldn't one of them notice this? Even if they didn't interact with her, would they come to that conclusion on their own? This invites a rather interesting question of whether or not one of them might come to understand what they truly are.

Did anyone else get a small chuckle out of Luke's apparent hatred of any women hitting on Layton? I found this amusing. I guess in the world of the game, no one really questions a grown man running around with a young boy (I'd understand immediately if Luke were an orphan, but I guess there's no real reason for the game to go into the backstory of the two characters outside of the bare minimum, even with Don Paolo apparently really having it out for Layton).

Which reminds me - I got a really strong Inspector Gadget feeling toward the end of the game, with Don's funny flying machine and Layton's (as JJJ put it) Macguyverosity. I guess I just yearn for that now-begone animation style. I know the game is compared to Triplets of Bellville a lot, which I enjoy since I watched the movie last weekend and found it endlessly charming, and the French themes overlap.

Level 5 really did do an astonishing job on this game. I kind of want to play through it again immediately.

I guess that's all for now. Like I said, I think about things like this a lot and none of my friends really play these types of games. The ones that do don't have it yet and probably won't for a while, so this is my only real outlet for talking about them. I guess that's kind of pathetic, aye? But eh. I'm writing to get my thoughts out in the hopes someone will respond. If no one does, no big deal.

[quote name='fart_bubble']the puzzle on the 4th level of the tower is kicking my ass. No matter what I try, I just can't get the up and down piece to the right of the red piece to the opposite side[/quote]

You need to move around the small green pieces first. I'm sure you cann find an answer key somewhere online, but it just takes alot of patience.

[quote name='Celticfan106']You need to move around the small green pieces first. I'm sure you cann find an answer key somewhere online, but it just takes alot of patience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I finally beat that one (first thing to do is to get both blue blocks that are above and below the red block on top of each other and after that it becomes easy sailing).

And after that I've set it down for awhile. Wish I would have kept more hint tokens as I get the feeling that I'm gonna be needing those

[quote name='sfriedlander']this game is awesome, perfect for the airplane. very well done, the art style is great. ( i heard its by that guy who did that one oscar nominated animated movie.) its a pretty good story too, im not that far though. Better keep playing![/quote]

Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro)? Sylvain Chomet (Triplets of Belleville)? Neither is true, and as far as I know, the people involved with the game have never made an animated movie, Oscar-nominated or otherwise. But many people have said the art style is reminiscent of the work of both of the aforementioned directors.

Just finished the game with a little help from Gamefaqs and the in game hints, and it was GREAT! Can't wait for the next one!

[quote name='Tybee']Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro)? Sylvain Chomet (Triplets of Belleville)? Neither is true, and as far as I know, the people involved with the game have never made an animated movie, Oscar-nominated or otherwise. But many people have said the art style is reminiscent of the work of both of the aforementioned directors.[/quote]

I would kill for a Layton TV series or movie. I mean, I'm sure it couldn't just be them solving puzzles (or maybe it COULD), but they could figure something out.

I feel like such a ditz! I've wizzed through most of the other puzzles but am stuck in the tower at the draw 7 squares using the pegs puzzle. I see some of you have solved this one--any chance someone will post me the solution?
[email protected]
Thx!

I started playing this a couple of days ago and love it. The art and cut scenes really do it for me, and I love the brain puzzlers. I just finished chapter 3.

Someone was asking about the soundtrack...

Silent_Hill_VGM over at Final Fantasy Shrine made two rips, one of music during gameplay + website music and the other a rip of the sound test. I've downloaded them, but haven't listened to them yet. You'll have to register for a free account to get to the download links.

Oh, and I do agree that the chocolate bar puzzle was messed up. I blame it on a bad artist rendering. It DOES NOT look like bites are taken out; I thought it was the wrapper overlapping the bar.

[quote name='Celticfan106']So I just found a great site, AFTER I beat the game... I'll post it up, if you don't want spoilers, don't look at it. I'm using it for painting scraps and the Inn, just wish I knew about it for the puzzles, haha.

http://professorlaytonwalkthrough.blogspot.com/

Hope it helps the people who need it.[/quote]

Are there still people who have never heard of Gamefaqs?

[quote name='Vegan']Are there still people who have never heard of Gamefaqs?[/quote]

I know gamefaq. But, this site was alot better in my opinion.

just started playing this game over the weekend. My sister has it and I helped her beat the last block puzzle so I got into the game too. Awesome game.

I finally solved the first downloaded puzzle. The hint helped, in an odd way. Though I don't remember there being a hint there the first couple times I tried it. Am I imagining things, or was it not always there?

[quote name='pete5883']I finally solved the first downloaded puzzle. The hint helped, in an odd way. Though I don't remember there being a hint there the first couple times I tried it. Am I imagining things, or was it not always there?[/QUOTE]

What hint? "Look harder at it" or something like that? LOL.. Does yours say something different? I still haven't solved that one.

[quote name='DarkKnightCecil']Actually a lived-action Professor Layton movie is planned I believe...[/quote]

Live action?

Eh that'd be lame, I want more of that good french/anime hybrid artstyle.

[quote name='keithp']What hint? "Look harder at it" or something like that? LOL.. Does yours say something different? I still haven't solved that one.[/QUOTE]

In the "hints" window:

However, you can make things easier by focusing on reducing the number of matches that serve as a side for multiple squares.

[quote name='pete5883']In the "hints" window:

However, you can make things easier by focusing on reducing the number of matches that serve as a side for multiple squares.
[/quote]
I certainly didn't see a hints window. And I still didn't figure that one out.

[quote name='botticus']I certainly didn't see a hints window. And I still didn't figure that one out.[/QUOTE]
I just remembered that the manual says that hints are available a week after the puzzle. So that explains it.

[quote name='pete5883']I just remembered that the manual says that hints are available a week after the puzzle. So that explains it.[/quote]And that's pretty awesome.

[quote name='pete5883']I just remembered that the manual says that hints are available a week after the puzzle. So that explains it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, cool-guess I should read the manual sometime! ;) Thanks for the hint--I figured that's what was involved, but I still haven't been able to figure it out! :cry:

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Just picked this game up. Level 5 does it again. (read: Level 5 is the shit.)[/quote]

What else have they done that I should pick up?

[quote name='spydey']What else have they done that I should pick up?[/quote]
I haven't played DQVIII yet, but that's theirs. I highly recommend Rogue Galaxy. Nothing like this game, though.

Finished the story portion of the game yesterday ("yay" for the flu sidelining me for the majority of the week, allowing me to actually play the game for a good period of time!). Now I just have to finish up the 20 or so puzzles that I missed.

I just beat all 135 puzzles. I feel both rewarded, yet very sad that there won't be any more Layton for several months at least. My DS doesn't get a signal from where I'm at either, so I can't get the downloadable puzzles (perhaps a venture to McDonalds would work?). Anyway, it was a great game. It seems like it'll have slightly better replay value than most adventure games too because there were so many puzzles that I'll likely forget the solutions to all but a few after a few months. The sliding puzzles are still giving me nightmares. I need more Layton!

I finished the game, and I started a new one where I won't use hints at all unless I must. I can't wait for the sequel. I am assuming all the Professor Layton games will have / have the same type of puzzles? (Brainteasers I mean).

Gah! Just downloaded the third weekly puzzle...and solved it in under 1 min. Surely these'll get harder, right?

I want more matchsticks.

20080213.jpg

[quote name='spydey']Well, I just put in my hidden door code (3F3C4A2C). I'm kind of disappointed.[/quote]

where'd you get a hidden door code?!? I thought it was included in the manual for the upcomgin sequel.

In other news, I finished the game last night. Definitely a fun game and I look forward to a sequel. I had the "plot" figured out well before the end of the game, but it was fun nonetheless. The last few bonus puzzles were killer though. Ugh. Stupid red princess boxes and 8 queens were about to make me break the DS.

bread's done
Back