PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a good price on a new Vita? Just saw them on clearance at Meijer for $149. The Borderlands bundle was included at that price but they apparently sold out.

Also on clearance was PS TV for $49.

I know there are some colored versions supposedly coming out soon that will probably be cheaper, but my guess is they will be made with cheaper components and fewer options. Worth picking up or should I wait?

BTW, do not own a Vita yet.
I regularly see Vitas (Slim/OLED) from $100-120 on AWD (both dingers and trade-ins) and used Vitas bundled with games and memory cards at that same price range on eBay. $150 is more than fair if you are very interested in getting a Vita and prefer new, but otherwise I would spring for a used Vita off of eBay or hold out for some cheap dingers off AWD.

The PS TV bundle is more than worth $50 if you don't mind being tethered to a TV to play PSP/PS1/PSV games, but I wouldn't say that the standalone PS TV is worth that price. My guess is that both PS TV sets will be heavily discounted in BF, so watch out for that.

I generally enjoy my Vita and it sees a fair amount of use, but a lot of that comes from being able to play PSP and PS1 games on it. There aren't a ton of native Vita games that are worth playing unless you are pretty into anime stuff and very niche games, both of which have earned the Vita its reputation as a shovelware spawning ground. If you want any recommendations then I'd be glad to give you some based on whatever guidelines you have.

I generally enjoy my Vita and it sees a fair amount of use, but a lot of that comes from being able to play PSP and PS1 games on it. There aren't a ton of native Vita games that are worth playing unless you are pretty into anime stuff and very niche games, both of which have earned the Vita its reputation as a shovelware spawning ground. If you want any recommendations then I'd be glad to give you some based on whatever guidelines you have.
while I agree vita gets mostly indies and localizations, it's all far from 'shovelware'. you may not be into those genres, but shovelware it is not. the only shovelware the vita gets is the occasional mobile port.

Many of the indies are the critically acclaimed ones, and the localizations are generally [not always] relatively popular. The vita doesn't have a reputation of getting lots of 'shovelware'... that's the realm of the original wii and ios.

while I agree vita gets mostly indies and localizations, it's all far from 'shovelware'. you may not be into those genres, but shovelware it is not. the only shovelware the vita gets is the occassional mobile port.
I didn't say that I considered the Vita's library to be made up of shovelware, only that an extensive number of almost exclusively niche releases caused most people to view the library that way.

I didn't say that I considered the Vita's library to be made up of shovelware, only that an extensive number of almost exclusively niche releases caused most people to view the library that way.
Yeah, but i'm saying I don't think that's true. 'Shovelware' has a very specific definition. You're the first person I've ever heard call the vita library 'shovelware'... because it's not. Sure, various slurs that imply indies and localizations come up all the time, but shovelware is more like what the wii got - quick cash ins on waggle, or what ios gets -- quick cash ins on flappy bird or whatever is the game of the moment. Indies and localizations aren't 'shovelware'.

It's not a bad game for $16. Like Little Big Planet, it has a lot of charm and is very creative. You are a bit late to the party though as far as cheap games go, Target clearanced all of their Vita games out over the past few weeks at 70% off and most of us were able to get several games for less than $10 apiece. Unfortunately most stores are dry at this point, though.
Yeah I was here for the target deals. Problem is, all my targets had nothing, but some rhythm game. Have 20% off, so might get it from psn.

Just pick up my Vita last week from Amazon. Got the Boarderlands bundle for $190. I figured with a game and a memory card that was a decent price.

What did you guys think of street fighter x tekken? I'm debating on keeping it or trading it. I picked it up from Target during the vita clearance. I don't really play fighters, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing it.
It's an okay game. I wasn't that into SF X T but it did satisfy my need for a fighting game on the Vita until I got better games.

Just pick up my Vita last week from Amazon. Got the Boarderlands bundle for $190. I figured with a game and a memory card that was a decent price.
save for the 64 gig card.
8 and 16 or to small I.M.O. and 32 one is to close to the 64 in price not to get.
i have most retail games and with patches and stuff it fills fast.

What is a good price on a new Vita? Just saw them on clearance at Meijer for $149. The Borderlands bundle was included at that price but they apparently sold out.

I know there are some colored versions supposedly coming out soon that will probably be cheaper, but my guess is they will be made with cheaper components and fewer options. Worth picking up or should I wait?

Just picked up my OLED vita on ebay for $89 + $9 shipping and it came with an 8GB memory card.

Only advice I have is don't buy a used Vita without a memory card. You will spend at least $50 on one of those.

I can't speak to a small text size (played on PSTV hooked up to a 27" monitor) but I couldn't get into Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters. It's got some weird maze step on a certain spot battle system or something. And you're right the tutorial wasn't much help. I'll check out that link though.
Art is really nice, even blown up on a big screen. Dialogue was kind of odd 'What? You would hit a girl!' etc.
I'll have to give it another chance some time.
There should be tips about selecting actions somewhere on that page too. Not that you normally get the desired results anyway, but it's worth a read. (I tried punching those annoying ass gay guys that keep trying to kiss you so many times, but they would just giggle about it and stuff. I wish they would just molest the annoying rocker dude instead. I hate some of the characters so much. The girls are mostly okay though at least)

Just hit a milestone, 100 physical and complete copies for the ps vita (any imports have English subs or English dialogue). Huge thanks to everyone who posted deals.[attachment=17938:20151025_175453.jpg]

Just hit a milestone, 100 physical and complete copies for the ps vita (any imports have English subs or English dialogue). Huge thanks to everyone who posted deals.
attachicon.gif
20151025_175453.jpg
Pretty awesome.

What are three or five of your favorite Vita games?

I am at 60 Physical    15 Digital  

I bought the majority of games before the Target Clearance.. 

Picked up  Street Fighter X Tekken  at Target only thing I didn`t already have..

Also have a lot of PSN + Games to finish before my PSN +  runs out

This thread has been Great ..

Why disgaea 4 vita cost so damn much on ebay?

Not sure, got it on eBay for 55 or 60(this was the CE) from a seller who was selling his entire Vita collection. I was able to get some amazing deals from him through buy it now. I assume he wasn't aware of the value of his rare collector editions.

Why disgaea 4 vita cost so damn much on ebay?
It was available at MSRP ($40) for the longest time, then Amazon suddenly restocked it at $30 for no apparent reason, which is when I picked my copy up.
3T7MsGO.png

It's out of print now, so your best bet would be to pick up a copy from a third-party seller on Amazon for $43.90 which is probably about the same as MSRP + tax.

Yeah, but i'm saying I don't think that's true. 'Shovelware' has a very specific definition. You're the first person I've ever heard call the vita library 'shovelware'... because it's not. Sure, various slurs that imply indies and localizations come up all the time, but shovelware is more like what the wii got - quick cash ins on waggle, or what ios gets -- quick cash ins on flappy bird or whatever is the game of the moment. Indies and localizations aren't 'shovelware'.
Hmm so most Vita games are acclaimed titles?? It goes both ways they have great games and horrible games

So it's either acclaimed title or shovelware? Tough crowd in this thread.

If the Vita had a Skittles or M&Ms game, I would see the strawman's shovelware accusation. But if it's just that there are some crappy titles (which every console since the Odyssey had), then really?

So it's either acclaimed title or shovelware? Tough crowd in this thread.

If the Vita had a Skittles or M&Ms game, I would see the strawman's shovelware accusation. But if it's just that there are some crappy titles (which every console since the Odyssey had), then really?
There's always someone a game will appeal to, but I would definitely consider a couple of series on the Vita to be shovelware. There's a certain series with outright awful writing and constant asset reuse, and they manage to pump the games out at an insane pace. We've gotten 4 Hyperdimension Neptunia titles in the West this year alone, with another title already announced for localization and 2 more that have a chance at being localized as well.

Picked up FIFA 14 for $4.98 from TRU.

Also got TRU to price match Best Buy's Spongebob Heropants listing of $11.99. Manager did say that it needed to be in stock, which it wasn't, but then said it wasn't like anyone was buying these anymore anyway.

Seems like there's a pretty broad interpretation of what "shovelware" is defined as in this thread.

Sure, some games really suck, and there are some crappy ports, if you want to call that shovelware.

But what some of those low budget publishers did to the Wii brought the concept of crap to a whole new meaning. There are some games out there on the Wii that are literally the same game but they just reskinned the avatar character and changed some textures and retitled it. For example the game Ninjabread man which was a patched piece of shit from an unfinished Zool game and then later rereleased again as Anubis II. The game literally has 4 levels because the developer didn't finish it and simply released it as is.

There's always someone a game will appeal to, but I would definitely consider a couple of series on the Vita to be shovelware. There's a certain series with outright awful writing and constant asset reuse, and they manage to pump the games out at an insane pace. We've gotten 4 Hyperdimension Neptunia titles in the West this year alone, with another title already announced for localization and 2 more that have a chance at being localized as well.
Shovelware is generally software that's made for the lowest price possible to simply try and capture as many possible sales from unsuspecting consumers as possible. To this end they also notoriously use licenses from popular franchises (especially children's franchises) to lure customers in. The Neptunia series is far from that and we've gotten so many on Vita mostly because they've been porting existing games. Being bad is not the same thing as shovelware.

Yea I think of shovelware as games with very low budgets that are made quickly and have no goal of actually being any good but rather a goal of tricking the consumer (usually kids or casuals) with box art and/or a cheap msrp price to make a profit. They do not care about their company's reputation or series quality only quick profits.

Took a look today, most of the used games at the Best Buy I work at are gone now. Only title left is  two copies of Army Corps of Hell. Guess even blow out pricing can't move this game.

Yea I think of shovelware as games with very low budgets that are made quickly and have no goal of actually being any good but rather a goal of tricking the consumer (usually kids or casuals) with box art and/or a cheap msrp price to make a profit. They do not care about their company's reputation or series quality only quick profits.
Exactly this.

I think the Wii fell victim to this because it's the one console that isn't "hardcore" (marketed and sold as suitable for grandmas) and is purchased by a lot of casuals who doesn't really know about the whole gaming industry and its "gaming standards".

Games that are bad. There's plenty that are just bad despite well intentioned developers and adequate budgets.
And this. Not shovel ware... most of the time... disappointments or over hyped franchise.

On topic: Most Target are out of stock, but I found some places still have Tearaway available around the OC area. Forgot exactly which...(i have like 6 Targets within driving distance...)

I agree with atta's post. $50 is a decent price for the bundle PSTV but not for the stand alone. I think the Sony store was recently clearance them out for around that price and the stand alone for like $25 or something. As for Vita new price... depends how badly you want one right now. Im sure you'll see the bundles at that price or lower around black friday. So if yo can wait i would say do so. Not sure about the colored vitas. Is that a thing? I know they've had them in Japan for a while but i wasn't aware any were coming stateside other than that one blue one GS had

Conception 2 is awesome you get to have sex without protection to save the world.
Well, yeah, you don't wear gloves when holding hands.

Hmm so most Vita games are acclaimed titles?? It goes both ways they have great games and horrible games
The discussion isn't about 'acclaimed titles'. The discussion is about shovelware.

Shovelware does not mean 'bad games' and only 'bad games'. It means devs are literally 'shoveling' crap titles left and right [imagine guys shoveling dirt into a trench], as fast as they can, to make a buck, trying to get in on a fad - sometimes just doing sprite changes and giving it a new title and calling it a day. Like, when waggle got popular and you got a million half-baked party games, or flappy bird got popular and there were a million clones. It can also mean bundles/collections of games, often all crap or maybe 1 halfway decent game sold with a pile of rubbish but that's no longer used quite as much except with steam bundles, sometimes.

The vita is not a haven of shovelware, it is not popular enough to be. The shovelware it does get here and there are ios ports -- those cut&paste mahjong games, the cheapo cut&paste tower defense games [medieval this or that, etc], etc. But that's just the occasional port.

Indies and localizations are not shovelware by default [even if bad], and your original assertion that the vita has a "reputation as a shovelware spawning ground" is incorrect because it would require a misunderstanding of what shovelware is. A device generally needs to be popular, for one thing. Does it have a reputation for 'indie crap' and 'anime crap'? Sure, I guess. Don't agree with it [we mostly get the 'best of' indie games], but sure. But not shovelware. That's mobile and wii, mostly. Atari got quite a bit back in the day too.

I'm not saying all games for vita are good or anything of the sort. Heck, I plat'd conception 2 and it was absolute crap. But it wasn't shovelware.

Sounds like some people in this thread just don't like Japanese-styled games with even a hint of being anime-ish.

And to those I ask, why do you even have a Vita in the first place? It's kind of a machine for that. But just because you're gonna view all games of that nature to be "shovelware", that doesn't make it so. They are not all great, but as been proven by ppl, far from shovelware. There are some true gems if you give them a chance.

But its far too easy to troll so I can see why ppl like that would, I guess.

Different strokes for different folks. Im not a fan of jrpgs either, but the vita has plenty to offer.

I guess it depends on how much you play it and how long you had it. I play more console than vita, and have had it for less than a year. So games like killzone, child of light, freedom wars, uncharted etc etc are still new to me and waiting to be played.

Im also not the type to have a silly amount of games just because i want a backlog to look at. Im sure the same goes for a lot of people around here. My point is that some people dont need a huge selection of games, or to like jrpg's in order to be happy with the vita.

Honestly, im amazed how some of you guys find the time to play so many games.

Different strokes for different folks. Im not a fan of jrpgs either, but the vita has plenty to offer.

I guess it depends on how much you play it and how long you had it. I play more console than vita, and have had it for less than a year. So games like killzone, child of light, freedom wars, uncharted etc etc are still new to me and waiting to be played.

Im also not the type to have a silly amount of games just because i want a backlog to look at. Im sure the same goes for a lot of people around here. My point is that some people dont need a huge selection of games, or to like jrpg's in order to be happy with the vita.

Honestly, im amazed how some of you guys find the time to play so many games.
I like to collect, and having a backlog doesn't really bother me like it does for some people. I'll get around to what I want to play when I want to play them, even if I am behind with what's currently out many times.

I'm not at home a good chunk of my day-to-day life, so I play my Vita way more than my consoles. I have a 3DS too, but honestly, I prefer the games on Vita more. But I agree with you totally; different strokes for different folks. I just hate when people pigeonhole those kind of games because "hur, you like that cutesy, girly, anime shovelware sh*t, what are you, a pedophile?" is a common response that most people have about those kind of games. I love the Neptunia games, I love graphic novel games, but am also open-minded to shooters, fighting games and the like... if they are good and not bore me to tears. I find that these "shovelware" games spoken of are way more interesting and imaginative that any military shooter or assassin game any day.

The Vita is my favorite portable system. It just saddens me that it didn't do as well over here as it could have. At least the 3rd party companies and their games will keep it alive for a while.

As for a good price for a Vita... I just paid the retail $200+tax for mine a couple weeks ago and am very happy not actually trying to get a better deal. It was the Borderlands 2 bundle so I didn't have to just go out and buy a memory card at the same time nor deal with potential issues with a used system. I can wait as long as I want on upgrading to a 64gb card. For indie games and ps1/psp classics 8gb is not the end of the world.. I have 36 games installed on my Vita's 8gb card. For the bigger retail games I'll mainly stick with the physical carts for now. If you can hold out another few weeks though it'll be interesting to see what ends up in the black friday ads (I'd imagine most will be revealed even sooner than a few weeks). But the Borderlands 2 bundle is disappearing fast and in North America there are no new bundles at this point (EU got a couple though). Still part of the reason the Borderlands 2 bundle may have disappeared was to build up stock for Black Friday. Whatever the case... it's a great system for the genre it's so strong in.

Shovelware is generally software that's made for the lowest price possible to simply try and capture as many possible sales from unsuspecting consumers as possible. To this end they also notoriously use licenses from popular franchises (especially children's franchises) to lure customers in. The Neptunia series is far from that and we've gotten so many on Vita mostly because they've been porting existing games. Being bad is not the same thing as shovelware.
Dang straight. Add to that Shovelware is typically launched at a much lower price than the typical retail games to help capitalize on the unsuspecting consumer. I think these days most Shovelware is the freemium garbage that pollutes gaming. Though I'm also not fond of devs making games and then cutting content out to release days later as DLC. The full priced incomplete game crap to nickle and dime the consumer is just something I don't support.

The overall quality (regardless of genre and if you like that genre or not) of games on the Vita is exceptionally high. The number of just outright bad games is pretty low and there are no physically released shovelware games and very few digital games that I would consider on that level. It reminds me a lot of the Dreamcast in that sense.

bread's done
Back