PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually inclined to believe them that the original 3DS isn't powerful enough to fully handle SNES Virtual Console games. There's more to emulation than just being more powerful; it's got to be powerful enough to emulate the system perfectly (which is already difficult enough if the two systems have fundamentally different architectures), while also running all the 3DS functions like sleep mode, wireless activities, and restore points.

I'm not mad about the reason they gave for not having SNES games on original 3DS. What I'm mad about is the fact that they're the ones who made the system so damn underpowered in the first place, with outdated technology straight out the gate. You can't make an intentionally gimped system and then be surprised when it's unable to handle new things down the line.
The 3DS was released in 2011. It did fine when it is finally having problem in 2016.

Anyone here played the Ys game on Vita? I enjoy the top-down Zeldas, Diablo, and Baldur's Gate style games...just trying to figure out if I'll like it...
If you're looking for a top-down rpg then grab a copy of dungeon hunter for the vita. It has a diablo feel to it, and I believe there is a demo on the psn if you want to try it before buying it

The 3DS was released in 2011. It did fine when it is finally having problem in 2016.
It's not just that though really. We were told by Nintendo that the 3DS would be more reminiscent of the N64 in terms of power and game quality we could expect, but the cold hard truth is the games we have gotten for it are more like 1st gen PS1 games as far as the quality goes. Back to once again only seeing a handful of 1st party Nintendo titles that are actually on par with anything from the N64, which leads anyone with even half a mind to believe that Nintendo has probably got software locks on the 3rd-party developer kits preventing them from having the ability to make games that can take full advantage of what system hardware yet again.

For me, the 3DS has been the most disappointing Nintendo handheld system since the GBA. And there to, Nintendo touted the GBA as being as powerful as a PlayStation yet we only ever got games just barely on par with SNES titles, and far from looking as good graphically due to the utterly terrible low res screen. And here we are again in 2016 with a Nintendo handheld released in 2010 that has a top screen pixel count lower than what the PSP was capable of. Pixel counts:

Consoles of Note:

Genesis/MD: 256x224 and 320x224, or 320x448 interlaced

SNES: 256x224, or 512x448 interlaced

N64: 320x240, or 640x480 interlaced

Handhelds of Note:

GB/GBP/GBC: 160x144

Game Gear: 160x144

Game.Com: 200x160

TGE: 400x270

Virtual Boy: 384x224

GBA: 240x160

N Gage: 176x208

NGP/NGPC: 160x152

WS/WSC: 224x144

DS: 256x192 (each screen)

PSP: 480x272

2DS/3DS: 400×240 effective pixels (top screen) and 320x240 (bottom screen)

Vita: 960x544

So effectively what happened is that by the time Nintendo began developing the DS all of their then known competitors for the handhelds market had dropped out thus resulting in Nintendo slacking off with the attitude that they both owned and fully controlled said market. Interestingly though the PSP released in 2004 before the DS was released and even then Nintendo failed to perceive any new entry in the market as being a threat to them, once again because of the difference in price points between theirs and Sony's system.

Fast forward to 2010 and 3DS is released. Nintendo still has the cocky attitude that they can shove off whatever hardware spec they feel like with whatever bottom of the barrel low res screens they can scrounge up onto consumers and no one will mind even though the PSP is still on the market and still looks and sounds superior. Sony releases the PS Vita in 2012, with the PSP system officially being discontinued globally in 2014, further proving that there were plenty of people that did care about the appearance quality of new games coming out in the 21st century. Nintendo in the meantime still pushes out games that literally look like something that would have been released in the mid-90's, no amount of 3D gimmickery can polish that away.

Nintendo in the meantime still pushes out games that literally look like something that would have been released in the mid-90's, no amount of 3D gimmickery can polish that away.
Well, you're overlooking some crucial factors that tie directly into the nature of handhelds. Having a higher-resolution screen on a handheld is actually a drawback, not an advantage. This is doubly true when the screens you are using are fairly small to begin with.

Higher resolution screens draw more power, both in terms of actual electricity and rendering muscle. A lower-resolution screen means that you can have a longer battery life, a very important feature for a handheld system.

This has been a problem for Sony's line of handhelds from the beginning. Their desire to make high-end, high-performing handhelds have made for great systems, but much less portable systems. Nintendo's focus on dated technology makes for much stricter hardware limitations, but the end result is far more appropriate for a portable gaming experience. Processing muscle is not the end-all be-all that some gamers make it out to be. Working within limitations often makes for tighter experiences.

It's also worth noting that some of the best titles to come out on the Vita have been smaller, more focused indie titles that don't necessarily take advantage of all of the system's power.

Yea, but it's not like the 3DS lasts that long. Stock PSP lasts longer than the 3DS. And the Vita lasts about as long as the 3DS. Vita also lasts much longer with wi-fi on, in sleep mode. I can't make my 3DS XL last 3 days in sleep mode.

It's not like the DSLite days, where it lasts like twice as long.

It's not just that though really. We were told by Nintendo that the 3DS would be more reminiscent of the N64 in terms of power and game quality we could expect, but the cold hard truth is the games we have gotten for it are more like 1st gen PS1 games as far as the quality goes. Back to once again only seeing a handful of 1st party Nintendo titles that are actually on par with anything from the N64, which leads anyone with even half a mind to believe that Nintendo has probably got software locks on the 3rd-party developer kits preventing them from having the ability to make games that can take full advantage of what system hardware yet again.
endo slacking off with the attitude that they both owned and fully controlled said market. Interestingly though the PSP released in 2004 before the DS was released and even then Nintendo failed to perceive any new entry in the market as being a threat to them, once again because of the difference in price points between theirs and Sony's system.

<snip>

Fast forward to 2010 and 3DS is released. Nintendo still has the cocky attitude that they can shove off whatever hardware spec they feel like with whatever bottom of the barrel low res screens they can scrounge up onto consumers and no one will mind even though the PSP is still on the market and still looks and sounds superior.
Very well said. Nintendo's hardware, both handhelds and home consoles, have been substandard in terms of specs and features for over a decade. They really seem to be putting the bare minimum into all of their gaming hardware, in order to keep their profits up. The end result is that the gaming community is forced to accept the poor hardware, if they want to play Nintendo's iconic games. It really would be better for all gamers if Nintendo stopped making gimmicky, low-spec hardware, and just focused on games.

Well, you're overlooking some crucial factors that tie directly into the nature of handhelds. Having a higher-resolution screen on a handheld is actually a drawback, not an advantage. This is doubly true when the screens you are using are fairly small to begin with.

Higher resolution screens draw more power, both in terms of actual electricity and rendering muscle. A lower-resolution screen means that you can have a longer battery life, a very important feature for a handheld system.

This has been a problem for Sony's line of handhelds from the beginning. Their desire to make high-end, high-performing handhelds have made for great systems, but much less portable systems. Nintendo's focus on dated technology makes for much stricter hardware limitations, but the end result is far more appropriate for a portable gaming experience. Processing muscle is not the end-all be-all that some gamers make it out to be. Working within limitations often makes for tighter experiences.

It's also worth noting that some of the best titles to come out on the Vita have been smaller, more focused indie titles that don't necessarily take advantage of all of the system's power.

Yea, but it's not like the 3DS lasts that long. Stock PSP lasts longer than the 3DS. And the Vita lasts about as long as the 3DS. Vita also lasts much longer with wi-fi on, in sleep mode. I can't make my 3DS XL last 3 days in sleep mode.

It's not like the DSLite days, where it lasts like twice as long.
I can leave my Vita unplugged for 2 weeks.... and it STILL has juice when I come home. (Was on vacation and forgot it)

I can leave that underpowered N3DS unplugged for 2-3 days and its dead.

Play time, about the same honestly..

The underpowered N3DS *should* be the one lasting 2 weeks unplugged, and have at least a much longer playtime than the Vita. but it doesn't..

snip cause length
Couple things to note. 3DS was supposed to be "comparable" to the gamecube in terms of power, not the N64. Have you looked at a N64 game in the last decade? The 3DS blows it away. I'll assume that was a typo.

GBA compared to the PS1? Sure, maybe in raw processing "numbers" but it was never sold as a real 3d capable machine. Plus we are all smart enough to know that GHz and "bits" comparing between different devices is foolish at best. It was all marketing and that was rampant with every company.

Screen rez with the 3DS at least makes some amount of sense with the 3D aspect. Yes, 3D is a gimmick and it doubles the amount of rendering a system has to do, but it was the rage when the 3DS was being developed. Sacrifices had to be made for it to be designed around 3D. It sucks, but there was a reason. Also 2 screens over 1, yadda, yadda.

Yes Nintendo was cocky with the 3DS, just like Sony was with the PS3, or Microsoft with the Xbone.

PSP sold great (DS too) because of other factors besides games and hardware. They were both pirated to *****. Yes I think that is a plus, especially in the long run when support for the system is gone, but you can not forget about it when talking about sales.

I can leave my Vita unplugged for 2 weeks.... and it STILL has juice when I come home. (Was on vacation and forgot it)

The underpowered N3DS *should* be the one lasting 2 weeks unplugged, and have at least a much longer playtime than the Vita. but it doesn't..
Maybe they changed something with the 2DS. The one I have will power on after a month or longer, as long as it's been powered off. I don't know about sleep mode as I don't use it.

Maybe they changed something with the 2DS. The one I have will power on after a month or longer, as long as it's been powered off. I don't know about sleep mode as I don't use it.
Powered off 3DS's last months. I assume he was talking about sleep mode, which is rather short.

Very well said. Nintendo's hardware, both handhelds and home consoles, have been substandard in terms of specs and features for over a decade. They really seem to be putting the bare minimum into all of their gaming hardware, in order to keep their profits up.
You seem to be ignoring the obvious. It's been close to three decades, not one. This has been Nintendo's approach to video game hardware design since around 1984. They did this with the Famicom, and everything since. They have never, NEVER focused on power over affordability. They have never attempted to lead the market in terms of processing power.

Expecting anything else would be to expect them to not be Nintendo. And if that's really what you want, just buy a Vita. That's what alternatives are there for. It's silly to say that Nintendo is holding their games hostage on weaker hardware. It's their games, on their hardware. And that strategy is what has always allowed them to be what they are.

And while I won't accept that the 3DS and Vita have identical battery lives, I will admit to the Vita's superior idle mode. The difference in run-time for the Vita and 3DS is not as great as in previous handheld iterations, but it's still there. I consistently get a few extra hours out of my 3DS while running games, comparable to my Vita. But the Vita's idle mode is much better than the 3DS's, keeping the system's charge for far longer. Of course, this is because of the 3DS's street-pass feature, which keeps the system more active while idle. But all the same, it is nice being able to fire my Vita back up from idle a few days later and have lost almost no power.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus is pretty solid for a fighter.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Toukiden Kiwami: (Monster Hunter but with Japanese Mythology)

For import, I would definitely recommend

IA/VT

Gundam Breaker 2
The Zero Escape series (999 and Virtue's Last Reward) are maybe my two favorite handheld games ever made. Anyone with a Vita and even a mild interest in virtual novels should play them. You can only play 999 on DS/3Ds and iOS, though.

I also loved Uncharted, Golden Abyss

Well that's true, graphics aren't everything ultimately. In the present market the battery life doesn't seem to be as big of an issue as it was in the past when all the system sucked the life force out of "AA" and "AAA" batteries at a rather alarming rate.

Even the PSP when new was giving me about five good hours of play time on UMD-read intensive games, and even more time than that on games that were less UMD-reliant. Now I get around three hours of play time on the UMD intensive games and five or six hours on the less UMD read intensive games.

Was getting about eight hours of game play time from my Vita when new, but as it has been heavily used over these last four years I'm now only getting about five hours of actual play time out of it, more time than that if I'm just using it to stream videos and browse the internet, but yeah, the battery is getting old. Can still leave it in sleep mode far days on end with minimal battery drain though.

My 1st gen 3DS is abysmal for play time, about two hours play time, down from around four hours play time when originally purchased. And I use to be able to put it to sleep and it could run in sleep/Street Pass mode for about 50 hours, that's now down to about twenty hours of sleep mode power.

I think it important to point out how readily available car chargers are for our modern systems and how quickly their internal Li-Ion batteries charge in comparison to the old Ni-Cad and even the Ni-MH batteries we use to have to purchase separately. Ni-Cads took up to eight hours to recharge back in the day. Ni-MHs, which are still a current product offering from battery companies, use to take two to four hours to recharge prior to the rapid charger technology hitting the consumer market. And worth noting rapid chargers for Ni-MH batteries are still regarded as a premium after-market charging solution.

That being said, I don't personally feel that the batteries of the current system generation are really all that relevant of a point anymore. Fair to point out that the "New 3DS" and 2DS both have reportedly better battery life than the 1st gen model I have.

Same here, power management on the Vita is far superior. Also needs to be noted that even if the Wi-Fi is turned off on the 3DS, it still can't retain power for more than two or three days before it completely drains its' battery, which is utterly pathetic.

Couple things to note. 3DS was supposed to be "comparable" to the gamecube in terms of power, not the N64. Have you looked at a N64 game in the last decade? The 3DS blows it away. I'll assume that was a typo.

GBA compared to the PS1? Sure, maybe in raw processing "numbers" but it was never sold as a real 3d capable machine. Plus we are all smart enough to know that GHz and "bits" comparing between different devices is foolish at best. It was all marketing and that was rampant with every company.

Screen rez with the 3DS at least makes some amount of sense with the 3D aspect. Yes, 3D is a gimmick and it doubles the amount of rendering a system has to do, but it was the rage when the 3DS was being developed. Sacrifices had to be made for it to be designed around 3D. It sucks, but there was a reason. Also 2 screens over 1, yadda, yadda.

Yes Nintendo was cocky with the 3DS, just like Sony was with the PS3, or Microsoft with the Xbone.

PSP sold great (DS too) because of other factors besides games and hardware. They were both pirated to *****. Yes I think that is a plus, especially in the long run when support for the system is gone, but you can not forget about it when talking about sales.
Confusion on my part, but if they were comparing it to the GC... that's even more abysmal than if they had been comparing it to the N64. There were many very slick well polished N64 games from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party developers on the N64 that looked and played better than some of the games I have tried on the 3DS. Yes, having dual screens can be deemed as an asset, but only when used in a way in which makes sense. Don't misunderstand, I don't hate the 3DS, I'm just very disappointed with it as it isn't perceivably much better than the DS. And I do dearly love the Nintendo DS, it may have been underpowered, but it was still a revolutionary new concept that allowed for some very interesting interface designs that worked quite well for a good number of games on the system.

Where Nintendo keeps failing this century, and why I referenced resolution specs of competing handhelds in the past, is that Nintendo pairing up their new interface concepts with current gen technologies. GBA was really the last handheld they put out on the market where they still felt the need to be competitive and pushed their own envelope of specs further from their previous entries to the system market. Same is true on the console side of the equation for Nintendo, Game Cube was their last truely competitive console. The Nintendo Wii was hardly more than a slightly upgraded GC with a new OS interface, SD Memory Card slot, and crazy TV remote stylized controllers. Wii U has decent system specs, but has so many issues it's almost comical... no, actually it is comical, hence why production is scheduled to cease in a few months... got to make sure they have enough inventory on hand to keep stores stocked another three years. ;)

Announced & Upcoming Physical Vita Games:[/u]
Listed alphabetically with release date after title.

- 2016 -
Cosmic Star Heroine (TBA)
Futuridium: Extended Play Deluxe: Limited Edition (5/9)
Gal*Gun: Double Peace (TBA)
Grand Kingdom (6/21)
Lego: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (6/28)
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (5/10)
Muv-Luv Trilogy (November)
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! (4/25)
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (6/7)
Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (9/13)
Rainbow Moon (TBA)
Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (7/26)
Soldner-X 2 (TBA)
Stranger of Sword City (4/26)
SuperDimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls (10/18)
Teslagrad (11/24)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (9/2)
Volume (TBA)
World of Final Fantasy (4th Quarter)
YIIK (TBA)
Zero Escape: Volume 3: Zero Time Dilemma (6/28)

- 2017 -
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (March)

Seems like LRG may as well request auto-deposits from my wallet.  :joystick:

Same is true on the console side of the equation for Nintendo, Game Cube was their last truely competitive console.
This is the issue. The GameCube wasn't competitive. Until the WiiU, the GameCube was Nintendo's WORST performing system comparable to the competition at the time.

I'm not making a judgment call on the system itself. I love the GameCube, and own two of the things. It's a great system, and a fine hardware entry for Nintendo. But in terms of market performance, it lost out to the newcomer Xbox, and got absolutely destroyed by the technically inferior PS2. System power has never been what has held Nintendo back. Their software design easily makes up for technical shortcomings on their hardware platforms. It's the games people come for, and the games that keep them coming back. Making technically superior hardware platforms is NOT the answer for Nintendo.

As to the Vita, I do have to give props to Sony for the system's Sleep mode. Integrating the sleep mode on a system level was a very portable-friendly feature, and does in fact make the Vita a better portable system. Being able to slap the power button at any time, even in-game to enter sleep mode, and then fire it back up any time in the future and just pick up where you left off, that is an extremely portable-friendly feature. They do deserve credit for that very wise decision.

One Piece: Burning Blood is getting physical release in Europe
Someone really should put together and maintain a list of the upcoming physical releases for Europe. I hardly have enough free time to keep up with the North American releases.

Well that's true, graphics aren't everything ultimately. In the present market the battery life doesn't seem to be as big of an issue as it was in the past when all the system sucked the life force out of "AA" and "AAA" batteries at a rather alarming rate.

Even the PSP when new was giving me about five good hours of play time on UMD-read intensive games, and even more time than that on games that were less UMD-reliant. Now I get around three hours of play time on the UMD intensive games and five or six hours on the less UMD read intensive games.
I don't know if it was just mine, but the PSP's battery life was garbage. Oh, it worked fine while you were playing it, hours of gametime. But it kept draining battery even when it was Off, not just Standby, all the way Off. I have no idea how it does that. I've never had my PSP last overnight. You either plugged it in before bed, or you weren't playing the PSP tomorrow.

I can lose my Vita for a week without even worrying about it. I barely bother to save on the Vita. But my PSP is tethered to a socket right next to my Game Gear.

What are 8gb memory cards going for nowdays? There's someone selling a Playstation TV + 8gb memory card for $20 on CL - wondering if it's worth it...
If you can find them, most Walmarts are clearancing out the 8gb for $3.50. If your lucky enough you might be able to find a 16gb for $10.

I don't know if it was just mine, but the PSP's battery life was garbage. Oh, it worked fine while you were playing it, hours of gametime. But it kept draining battery even when it was Off, not just Standby, all the way Off. I have no idea how it does that. I've never had my PSP last overnight. You either plugged it in before bed, or you weren't playing the PSP tomorrow.
Mine was the same way. It was brand new when I bought it, so it wasn't from abuse. It also wasn't the battery, cause I swapped to the larger official battery, and it did the same thing.

Ys vita is a great game, and I hope we get Ys 8,and it's English localization before the Vitapocalypse.

You might want to buy the Excellent "Ys Seven" (PSP) on PSN as it was a better game imho.

Games to play in a group:

-Freedom Wars (think discount Monster Hunter)

-Terreria (2d action platform sandbox multiplayer, with 100% destructible world) (PC version is better and cheaper, but this version has it's charm)

RPG

-Disgaea ~ any ~ but mostly grab 4 if you like SRPG's

-Tales of Hearts R (hunt in the Game Stop for this one, GS retail exclusive)

Action

-Uncharted Golden A (7.5 / 10 from me, it's very cool at times though)

Shooter

-Killzone: Mercenary , is regarded as the best shooter for the system. It's the only game I don't own from this list.

There are a LOT of oddball titles for the system and they can't be universally recommended to everyone, so you should do a little research on the lesser titles (there is even some interesting "digital :no: only" ones that are great.)
tales of hearts r wasn't gamestop exclusive. it was available on amazon as well which is where the majority of people bought it from because gamestop sucks. On Anywho I rec finding a copy as well. Bamco's store on occasion has it on sale for 20$ but I have no idea who the hell they are fulfilled by these days so good luck.

Keep an eye on craigslist. When people want to dump it, they REALLY want to dump it. And since there's not a lot of demand for it, you won't face much competition.
ebay as well is amazing for vita deals. I got my old vita for 79$ like new. And if you buy one off ebay you can pick up square trade insurance off there as well.

As to the Vita, I do have to give props to Sony for the system's Sleep mode. Integrating the sleep mode on a system level was a very portable-friendly feature, and does in fact make the Vita a better portable system. Being able to slap the power button at any time, even in-game to enter sleep mode, and then fire it back up any time in the future and just pick up where you left off, that is an extremely portable-friendly feature. They do deserve credit for that very wise decision.
They deserve credit for a feature that was not only implemented in a better way 7 years before that (the DS had it, at a system level)? The GBA SP even had it on a per-game basis (the DS has a "GBA mode", which is what it uses to run GBA games so sleep mode is disabled on that and left up to the game to implement) so it is far from new.

Battery life on sleep mode depends on how much the system can (or can't) do while in that state. The 3DS has a lot more features that run in the background even under sleep mode hence battery consumption is higher (Game updates, system updates, DLC, StreetPass, SpotPass, Pedometer, Motion Sensors all use power in sleep mode). When you have nothing to do in sleep mode you can make the battery last almost forever (Hibernate a Win10 machine with power-saving on and you'll see :p). If anything the Vita's sleep mode is pathetic at best. It does nothing while in sleep mode, can't even reconnect if it loses Wi-Fi to finish a download, yet it drains battery power.

Where Nintendo keeps failing this century, and why I referenced resolution specs of competing handhelds in the past, is that Nintendo pairing up their new interface concepts with current gen technologies. GBA was really the last handheld they put out on the market where they still felt the need to be competitive and pushed their own envelope of specs further from their previous entries to the system market. Same is true on the console side of the equation for Nintendo, Game Cube was their last truely competitive console. The Nintendo Wii was hardly more than a slightly upgraded GC with a new OS interface, SD Memory Card slot, and crazy TV remote stylized controllers. Wii U has decent system specs, but has so many issues it's almost comical... no, actually it is comical, hence why production is scheduled to cease in a few months... got to make sure they have enough inventory on hand to keep stores stocked another three years. ;)
I do admit in a perfect world I would want Nintendo to have comparable graphics as the competition. Although Nintendo is the only one to currently have consistent 1080p 60 fps games, (pc not withstanding obviously) so that is freaking weird.

Wii U and Vita have actually followed similar paths. Overpriced for what it is (vita not really anymore except memory), unique (tablet and back touch), failed/underused features, sold significantly better in one region (Wii U in NA, Vita in Japan), poor sales in general, vita has indie and anime games keeping it a float, the Wii U has Nintendo games... the list probably goes on.

IDK, I think all I really want to get across is that system power is not what creates success nor denies it. Wii U is weak, vita is strong, sold the same. It can be a factor for sure. And like how you love the vita so much, I have played the Wii U far more than my PS4 this gen. I can easily see why some people become huge fans of "failure" systems. There are always big pluses hidden behind what are either legitimate shortcomings or minor annoyances.

tales of hearts r wasn't gamestop exclusive. it was available on amazon as well which is where the majority of people bought it from because gamestop sucks. On Anywho I rec finding a copy as well. Bamco's store on occasion has it on sale for 20$ but I have no idea who the hell they are fulfilled by these days so good luck.
Tales of Hearts R may have been sold on Amazon, but it was never sold by Amazon. It was in fact a Gamestop exclusive outside of the Namco Bandai store.

If anything the Vita's sleep mode is pathetic at best. It does nothing while in sleep mode, can't even reconnect if it loses Wi-Fi to finish a download, yet it drains battery power.
Which is why I boot my system up out of sleep mode to find updates downloaded, trophies synced, and saves uploaded to cloud. And even without that, of course it would drain battery power, it's holding game(s), software, and the OS in volatile memory that needs to be powered to hold its state. Plus, hibernate on a computer and sleep mode on the Vita are two completely different things.

And even beyond that, as indicated by people's frustration at the 3DS battery life, having it do all that crap while in "sleep" mode is stupid.

Tales of Hearts R may have been sold on Amazon, but it was never sold by Amazon. It was in fact a Gamestop exclusive outside of the Namco Bandai store.
Okay, technically what GameStop had with this title was brick & mortar exclusitivity. Bandai Namco sold it both through their own webstore and also sold it through Amazon.com, fulfillment handled by Bandai Namco. Sorry to say I was not paying very close attention to the title at time of release, so I do not know for certain if it was briefly an online exclusive to GameStop or if it was always available online from both GameStop and Bandai Namco. If I had a time machine this is one of those quirky details I'd definitely want to check out.

If anything the Vita's sleep mode is pathetic at best. It does nothing while in sleep mode, can't even reconnect if it loses Wi-Fi to finish a download, yet it drains battery power.
I don't think you really know what the Vita does in sleep mode. I can start a bunch of downloads, then put it to sleep, and it will finish all the downloads by itself, without draining much power at all. The 3DS is absolute junk by comparison, in just about every way. It's certainly nothing to try to brag about, with all its other poor specs and missing features.

Good night, guys. I was just pointing out relative strengths and weaknesses. Basic design stuff. I wasn't attempting to start any sort of war. I enjoy both the 3DS and Vita. I just think it important to recognize some of the factors surrounding them, and how it has affected their relative performance in the market.

The 3DS has a better overall library. This isn't just a matter of taste, it's a matter of numbers. The 3DS has gotten far more developer support than the Vita. And it's continuing to get developer support, while the Vita is almost entirely kept afloat by Japanese and indie devs now. That's a matter of numbers, and the 3DS won that competition by keeping developers on board longer.

The Vita has plainly superior hardware specs. It also benefits from an improved screen with a higher resolution. By providing effective dual analog sticks it also has a more comfortable traditional control scheme. I would argue that it also has a much better on-line store, with a huge offering of legacy software with regular sales. While the development support for the system has been flagging, many of the Japanese games and indie ports for it have been excellent and unique. It's definitely managed to accrue a respectable catalogue, even if the 3DS has outpaced it in sheer volume.

I thought Akiba's Trip was awesome. Someday I plan on running through it again on PS3.
I had originally bought it on ps4, played it a bit, but a little later ps4 broke.
I returned to Amazon and bought vita version.

PS4 version looks so much better, has more on screen people, and really fast loading.

Might rebuy it on ps4 later.

They deserve credit for a feature that was not only implemented in a better way 7 years before that (the DS had it, at a system level)? The GBA SP even had it on a per-game basis (the DS has a "GBA mode", which is what it uses to run GBA games so sleep mode is disabled on that and left up to the game to implement) so it is far from new.

Battery life on sleep mode depends on how much the system can (or can't) do while in that state. The 3DS has a lot more features that run in the background even under sleep mode hence battery consumption is higher (Game updates, system updates, DLC, StreetPass, SpotPass, Pedometer, Motion Sensors all use power in sleep mode). When you have nothing to do in sleep mode you can make the battery last almost forever (Hibernate a Win10 machine with power-saving on and you'll see :p). If anything the Vita's sleep mode is pathetic at best. It does nothing while in sleep mode, can't even reconnect if it loses Wi-Fi to finish a download, yet it drains battery power.
I wish I didn't read such an awful post before bed. Now I'm going to have nightmares about terrible posts.

I don't think you really know what the Vita does in sleep mode. I can start a bunch of downloads, then put it to sleep, and it will finish all the downloads by itself, without draining much power at all. The 3DS is absolute junk by comparison, in just about every way. It's certainly nothing to try to brag about, with all its other poor specs and missing features.
Thank you for this...I don't care what kind of 'cool' things the 3DS does while in sleep mode. The vita still has the longest battery life when it comes down to its sleep mode.

My vita doesn't download a darn thing in sleep mode... Wonder if there is a setting i messed with at some point...
There is an option I believe that needs to be checked to download in sleep. I'm not 100% on that, but I think so. As for sleep mode between the 3DS and Vita, the Vita wins hands down. My sons 3DS won't last the night in sleep mode if it's not plugged in. I have many devices including the Vita that can go days, weeks, and months with no issues. The 3DS is not good in this area at all. Really, it's not good in many areas, but it's fun and I like it, but the sleep mode is terrible.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Thanks for all the tips and recommendations about Vita games.

I love my Vita and my New 3DS XL equally. Sometimes I play my Vita more, sometimes my 3DS. Right now it's probably my 3DS because of Bravely Second.

Anyway, has anyone played the new Assassin's Creed Chronicles yet for Vita? If so, how is it?

My vita doesn't download a darn thing in sleep mode... Wonder if there is a setting i messed with at some point...

There is an option I believe that needs to be checked to download in sleep. I'm not 100% on that, but I think so.
Settings-> Power Save Settings -> "Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode"

There is a check box next to this that needs to be *UNCHECKED*! It's completely counter intuitive but that's the way it works. I was never able to download in sleep mode till I learned this. Thank you internet.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Thanks for all the tips and recommendations about Vita games.

I love my Vita and my New 3DS XL equally. Sometimes I play my Vita more, sometimes my 3DS. Right now it's probably my 3DS because of Bravely Second.

Anyway, has anyone played the new Assassin's Creed Chronicles yet for Vita? If so, how is it?
AC: Chronicles is pretty great on Vita. There are occasionally some graphical/technical glitches (controls aren't always immediately responsive, the outside of climb-able buildings sometimes stays invisible when you're climbing outside) and the graphics themselves aren't very noteworthy, but I'm enjoying it and it feels perfect in portable format.

Settings-> Power Save Settings -> "Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode"

There is a check box next to this that needs to be *UNCHECKED*! It's completely counter intuitive but that's the way it works. I was never able to download in sleep mode till I learned this. Thank you internet.
Then this might be my issue... If I have to uncheck it because of the misleading description, I may have looked in the settings in the past and thought I had it done correctly. The way I have been downloading games is starting the download, leaving my vita on... Until it falls asleep and make sure I check it to ensure that it is awake and downloading... Man they need to patch that description, that is crappy on them.

I'm charging my system as we speak. Gonna throw some downloads on it and see what happens! I have so many because... They just weren't downloading for me because of aforementioned issues...

bread's done
Back