PS1 Custom DVD Cover Art - Calling all artistic CAGers!

Guilty Gear (Click here for High Res)
ggdvds.jpg

Marvel vs. Capcom (Click here for High Res)
mvcdvds.jpg

Next up: X-Men Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes

edit: Removed ESRB logo from Guilty Gear due to lame fighting game icon in lower left.

greatly improved quality of MvC front cover.

next three will come in a batch:
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Marvel Super Heroes
Capcom vs. SNK Pro

this has nothing to do with this thread directly, theres some nice stuff here, but i HATE dvd cases, they are SUCH a waste of space, i wish cd cases were still the norm =o\

[quote name='punqsux']this has nothing to do with this thread directly, theres some nice stuff here, but i HATE dvd cases, they are SUCH a waste of space, i wish cd cases were still the norm =o\[/QUOTE]

Maybe we can start a thread where we make CD cases for X-Box, PS2, and GCN games?;)

that would be hot, but the books wouldnt fit....might be fun anyways...and i DID just get 50 dreamcast games (read: cd cases) from tru ^^

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Maybe we can start a thread where we make CD cases for X-Box, PS2, and GCN games?;)[/QUOTE]

That'd be sweet, but then we run into issues with instruction books and whatnot..

but you're right.. that would save me a ton of space!

Hey, could you possibly upload some higher-res versions, like png or tif? JPEG compression kills the pics when you look at them really close.

FANTASTIC work though. I would immediately start printing these out and ordering cases if I had a nice printer and 234234 cartridges.

[quote name='Scorch']That'd be sweet, but then we run into issues with instruction books and whatnot..

but you're right.. that would save me a ton of space![/QUOTE]

Yea that's the only problem, but I still think I might start the project, as I'm quite bored atm, what with becoming unemployed later today.

im all for it, i freakin hate dvds cases

to make things easier though, we should leave out the "behind the disc" art, because it would be hard to line it up properly, and it would be more expensive to print

this could be fun though, the whole "downsizing" aspect of the artwork could allow for an esier use of custom covers.

[quote name='punqsux']im all for it, i freakin hate dvds cases

to make things easier though, we should leave out the "behind the disc" art, because it would be hard to line it up properly, and it would be more expensive to print

this could be fun though, the whole "downsizing" aspect of the artwork could allow for an esier use of custom covers.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I think I'll do a test run of it later just to see If I could manage it.

You don't like DVD cases? But CD cases always end up cracking and what not. They should make DVD cases around the size of NDS boxes, that would save up some room.

Argh... I keep trying to make a cover for Digimon World but GIMP 2.2 keeps freezing...
and my computer is built for heavy cpu usage like this!

One question - are you re-typing the text from the boxes or are you reusing the text from the boxes? I found reusing the text would cause a blurry mess, while re-typing it stands out more.

a small note on yours sneaky, could we move the ntsc/uc logo to under the ps logo on the top of the side banner?

im attempting to emulate ps1 cases fully in my design, unless you like it better over on the corner ^^

also, since you said that was your template, there are quite a few small white pixels on the sidebar

man, im a real slave driver!

[quote name='punqsux']a small note on yours sneaky, could we move the ntsc/uc logo to under the ps logo on the top of the side banner?

im attempting to emulate ps1 cases fully in my design, unless you like it better over on the corner ^^

also, since you said that was your template, there are quite a few small white pixels on the sidebar

man, im a real slave driver![/QUOTE]

Hush you. And that NTSC/US was actually on the MGS case like that, I didn't put it there,a dn I don't feel like having to blend over it.

I don't know if this will help any, but I made one for a Official Playstation Magazine demo disc (its for PS2 though). This was my first time seriously using GIMP, so it doesn't look too good.

*Note: I do have the higher-quality version on my hd*

thx for starting this... i can't print them out until i upgrade my current printer but i like look at all the new covers.

One of my favorite games:

Legend of Legaia.
I'm getting better at this with every try to make one.

EDIT:
Here is another. I have had nothing to do today b/c I didn't have to work.

Argh... I was already working on a Gran Turismo one... the poster after me beat me to it.

[Another]EDIT:

and another:

i guess this would sorta be the most appropriate place to put it - i was looking for a good dvd cover art for my swapmagic 3.6 discs - i tried that cdcovers.cc place, but most look pretty unprofessional. there was one nice plain b and w design, but they only made a dvd one, and the cover had a little too much stuff still needing to be touched up on (odd black smudges and such.). would anyone be willing to whip up ones for the cd and dvd discs?

Well, here is another.

Oh, and here is the text that has to be at the bottom of each case:
Liscensed by Sony Computer Entertainment America for use with the Playstation game console. Playstation and the Playstation logos are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. The ratings icon is a trademark of the Interactive Digital Software Association. Manufactured and Printed in the U.S.A. THIS SOFTWARE IS COMPATIBLE WITH PLAYSTATION GAME CONSOLES WITH THE NTSC UC DESIGNATION U.S. AND FOREIGN PATENTS PENDING.

I've done every one of mine so far in GIMP.

Has anyone thought about using some of the artwork from Saturn cases for the games that were released on both systems? Might save some time, but I don't know how available Saturn case scans are...

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']Has anyone thought about using some of the artwork from Saturn cases for the games that were released on both systems? Might save some time, but I don't know how available Saturn case scans are...[/QUOTE]

I don't know about needing to use them for the playstation cases, but some Saturn DVD cases would be cool as well. I was bored and did a slackjob one for Croc on Saturn. What do you think:

It is surprisingly easy to get the Saturn case artwork to fit on the DVD size artwork with just a little skewing of the image dimensions. Maybe this could be another new project?

[quote name='magius360']It is surprisingly easy to get the Saturn case artwork to fit on the DVD size artwork with just a little skewing of the image dimensions. Maybe this could be another new project?[/QUOTE]

This is something I've been kicking around in my head since May when I got a Saturn and some disc only games. Seeing the mockup, I'd say let's do it! :)

If I can help (file hosting, etc), let me know.

daroga

Hello,

I'm new to the site and was wondering if there were any more PS1 DVD covers on the way (because you guys are doing a magnificent job). I too have a few that I might be able to add to the collection as well if there is interest.. Anyway, thanks for your time.

Scott

It's been awhile since I've seen this thread. I don't know what happened. I think most people stopped work on it. I did some work on one, but I never finished it. I just never decided if I liked these more than the regular style ps1 cases.

I think they look great and it helps line up all those series that are on both systems like Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Twisted Metal, Final Fantasy etc.

If anyone could provide some longbox-type scans of pictures/logos of a game I might be able to compile a decent cover for you.

Just found this thread and I'm realy enjoying it - I'm currently working on a cover for Persona 2, though I can only get so far right now. Tomorrow, I can use the scanner at my work and get some realy good scans for it. As soon as it's done I'll post it here.

Here's a start - I just used what images I could google - I took a little artistic liberty with it and rather than just do a straight conversion I did it in the style that atlus has been using lately (Magna Carta, etc) Let me know what everybody thinks. Also if anybody wants a higher resolution version PM me and I'll send an uncompressed PDF. (Imageshack won't let me post an uncompressed version...)

[quote name='cyrix`']If anyone could provide some longbox-type scans of pictures/logos of a game I might be able to compile a decent cover for you.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly artwork, but I hope it helps you.

GamePapers

bread's done
Back