PS2/PS3 E3 Game Announcement Thread

[quote name='basketkase543']If you could care less, than that would mean that it holds some sort of importance for you. If you couldn't care less though, than that would put it on the bottom of your priorities.[/QUOTE]

An obvious typo, you understood what I meant though.

News: Metal Gear Solid 4, MGA2, and MGS3: Substinence all officially announced.

"First up, Konami announced that Hideo Kojima, creator of the Metal Gear Solid series, would become head of a new internal developer at the publisher. Inventively called Kojima Productions, the studio currently has three projects on its plate--MGS4 and two other Metal Gear Solid titles.

According to Kojima, who was on-hand at the event, the concept behind MGS4 will be "nowhere to hide." Stealth options will be greatly reduced, with more reliance on camouflage a la MGS3: Snake Eater and more use of the infamous cardboard box. Set in a future world after the events of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, the game will see the return of all the major characters from the series, including Solid Snake, Meryl, Otacon and Revolver Ocelot.

MGS4 will also sport an online battle mode, the details of which Kojima did not go into. "That's all I can say until next year," he said,"[except] the graphics and sound will rival anything Hollywood does." Gamers will have to take him at his word, since no footage of the game was shown at Konami's event.

Kojima Productions' second title is Metal Gear Acid 2, the sequel to the PSP card-battling game featuring series hero Solid Snake. Footage of the game revealed a much more visually stylish game than its predecessor. It sported cel-shaded, anime-style graphics and will also feature Ocelot.

Last is Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, a play on the eat-or-die gameplay elements and culinary subtitle of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Like Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence features the original Snake Eater with a bunch of new content.

However, unlike Substance, this content will likely appeal to many who have already played Snake Eater. Foremost, it will feature online multiplayer action, with Kojima saying his team was aiming for a maximum of eight players. The online portion will sport two modes: "Snake vs. Enemies," where multiple players hunt down one opponent and "Team Battle" with multiple players fighting cooperatively.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot POSTED: 05/17/05 04:21 PM"

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/news_6125243.html

wasn't it hehe? It hits the MGS fanboy in me so hard ;) but I try to contain it lol. But I really do admire kojima's games even though he goes a little kooky sometimes ;)

[quote name='Zoglog']But I really do admire kojima's games even though he goes a little kooky sometimes ;)[/QUOTE]

I think you would have been more accurate if you replace 'kooky' with 'batshit fucking crazy'

Don't know if this has been posted before, probably already has.

I was scrolling down through IGN...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615745p1.html

" Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars. "

Im shocked that they got this thing under $600, that's pretty cheap for the current specs right now, but obviously the PS3 isn't going to fly off shelves at that price, I bet it gets rounded to $500 US.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Don't know if this has been posted before, probably already has.

I was scrolling down through IGN...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615745p1.html

" Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars. "

Im shocked that they got this thing under $600, that's pretty cheap for the current specs right now, but obviously the PS3 isn't going to fly off shelves at that price, I bet it gets rounded to $500 US.[/QUOTE]

ANd there goes any chance of me buying this one until a price drop...

[quote name='clockworkvictim']ANd there goes any chance of me buying this one until a price drop...[/QUOTE]

Same here (if it's true.) In fact, I don't know ANYONE who would pay that much for it, and pretty much all of my friends have PS2s and were really looking forward to PS3.

Actually chances are better that the price will end up about 450 by the time September rolls around. Between the super expensive Cell chip and the wireless controller and 2 generation BWC I'm not totally suprised at the price tag, of course I'm sure some stores will offer a nice fat trade in offer on your old PS2s seeing how you wont be needing them anymore.

I thought companies learned their lesson with the $400+ Sega Saturn.

Combine that with the new standard of $60.00 game titles, goodbye $49.99 (which was already a ripoff for all but a handfull of truly exemplary titles).

I guess Sony and MS are banking on the desire of hardcore gamers to really pony up the cash to get into the Next-Gen club.

At $450 bucks, that bitch had better come with a game.....and not just a non-interactive demo disc.

The problem with the Saturn was it was low tier compared to it's opposition in the PS selling for 100 bucks less also Combined with Sega's superflawed strategy of releasing it earlier than planned and alienating several store chains who intrun refuse to stock the system altogether, it was garuanteed to lose out regardless of a 400 dollar price tag...

Ultimately I want to wait and see what type of price point ACTUALLY ends up on the tag rather than instatnly start complaining about a rough japanese price estimate and dollar conversion. It's still more than a year away.

True, but there is no denying that the $400 pricetag turned off an awful lot of gamers. The Sega Genesis crowd was chomping at the bit for the next big thing from Sega, but Sony came along and ate their lunch.

400 bucks hurt but peoplw will still pay it, 300 hurt and sthey still do it and even 250 hurts like hell but you have to pay for new stuff and the newer it is the more exspensive. (and you have to admit the PS3 so far is looking a lot better than the Saturn!)

But, actually I wouldn't be suprised if that leaked price was just a ploy to get MS to reveal their pricing so they can trump them with a better price later on.

Oh, if I have the money Ill buy it.....Or perhaps "stupid". Well either way.......same ends :)

Then I'll stupidly (I mean 'enthusiastically') pay $60 bucks a pop for some games for the thing.

Thankfully I'm not a huge gamer anymore...by that I mean I buy all the systems, and then buy like 2 - 3 games a year, ones that really catch my eye. Then I tend to play them for awhile, move on to something else, then come back to them. Hell I just finished Vice City 2 months ago (!). I still have some races left in Burnout 3.....Halo 2 I'm not even past the first level.

So the price hit wont hurt me as much as itw ould someone who buys every single title...

But its also alot to ask parents around xmas time. If kids beg for XBOX 360, bet your ass parents wont be coughing up $400 more for a PS3 a few months later....and you know Sony is worried about that. Initial system shipments are always high.....the early adopters, but thats not what keeps a system afloat...its the month-to-month and year-to-year sales that make a company money, not shipping the initial 2 million units or whatever.

I think this is probably what Nintendo is hoping for. Nintendo is going to introduce their new system at a much more reasonable price-point, and release a bunch of kid-friendly games for it....flashier and prettier than GameCube stuff, but at a much lower pricepoint, and parents are going to buy them.

You wont be playing Need For Speed 5 on it, and you wont be playing Gran Turismo on it, but how much "reality" do you need for a Mario Kart game before it becomes "something else", something inaccessable to its target audience.

Crap...I need a gamecube now just to play those Star Wars games.

[quote name='Alpha2']If you look very closely at the IGN pics you can see a lot of the tiny imperfections that make it obvious they arnt renders. In I-8 you can see the floting character casts a somewhat blocky shadow, in the GT4 shots you can see the cliping in someof the low poly-count characters that they use for secondary pit crew and by standers. The Killzone pics have a lot of fuzzy pixels that would have been perfect looking had it been rendered.[/QUOTE]

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140675

PS3 Videos Possibly Pre-rendered
Controversy erupts over Sony press conference.
by Garnett Lee, 05/18/2005 19 of 24 users recommended this story.
The past 24 hours have been an emotional roller coaster ride for game fans anxiously waiting the PS3. At its press conference Sony thrilled the crowd with videos that definitely said "next generation". To an audience eagerly hoping to be blown away it was like a nuclear bomb went off and they ate it up. It was a powerful shot across the bow of the other contenders in the escalating console wars, but was it real?

Before sunrise today a spark of doubt was smoldering. It caught fire by the end of the day. In the midst of the storm brewing this morning a poster identifying himself as Epic's Mark Rein posted to the Voodooextreme forums talking about the videos seen at the conference. While he did preface his comments saying that everything he saw looked perfectly achievable, he clearly said that he had seen the three or four times during rehearsals and only Sony first-party, Epic and EA demos were running in real-time on the PS3.

Of course that meant that the darling of the presentation, Killzone 2, was CG. It also meant that the hardware might not be light-years beyond the competition. After all, that left the Unreal tech demo as the best looking game running real time; more or less the same as the very Gears of War Microsoft used to show off the Xbox 360. That kicked off a cascade of people reviewing what they'd seen with a more critical eye. The consensus coming out is that the scenes are in fact pre-rendered material. Some of the signs that point to that are the extreme particle effects and tightly choreographed shots. On the other hand, our own John Davidson has it direct from Sony contacts that "just about all of it" was "real". As our friend Fox used to be prone to saying, "the truth is out there." What we're wondering is how much it really matters at this point. Hardware is still a long way off and developers will be making the usual enormous strides in quality over the final few months -- Sony, Microsoft and when the time comes Nintendo. For now the one thing certain is they served their purpose. Sony has put the contenders on notice; it isn't coming to this generation resting on its laurels.

So long as it comes close to the pre-renders, nobody will be disappointed.

Well thats not true, there's plenty of people out there who will find a way to criticize every effort.

What I dont understand is how people can look at Killzone 2, and then watch the Ghost Recon 2 or Project Gotham 3 videos, and claim one system looks better than the other..!?!?
That just amazes me.....people are so internally biased its laughable....

[quote name='HeadRusch']So long as it comes close to the pre-renders, nobody will be disappointed.

Well thats not true, there's plenty of people out there who will find a way to criticize every effort.

What I dont understand is how people can look at Killzone 2, and then watch the Ghost Recon 2 or Project Gotham 3 videos, and claim one system looks better than the other..!?!?
That just amazes me.....people are so internally biased its laughable....[/QUOTE]

True, GR2 and PGR3 look very viewtiful, and Killzone 2 and the others were apparently renders anyways. I guess we're just gonna have to wait till March or later to see who is the real powerhouse, but it looks like the 360 isn't going to be as bad as everyone predicted

Well time to start passing on titles and putting my cash towards the 360, MS needs to hurry up with the pricepoint.

"Apparenly" dosent say whether they are or not. I'd want concrete proof either way rather than the suggestion that they arnt. As I said I believe they could be in game models used for dramatic cinemas with some enhancement and not actually gameplay, which is still damn impressive.

The system is still a year away, if this shows what the hardware is capable of even without having the hardware on hand than I'm still happy.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Somebody please tell me that Ken Kutaragi is a midget and that he has infant sized hands because my god its fricken xbox size!!!![/QUOTE]
He's asian, so it should be scaled

EDIT:Apparently hes a tall asian

[quote name='Alpha2']"Apparenly" dosent say whether they are or not. I'd want concrete proof either way rather than the suggestion that they arnt. As I said I believe they could be in game models used for dramatic cinemas with some enhancement and not actually gameplay, which is still damn impressive.

The system is still a year away, if this shows what the hardware is capable of even without having the hardware on hand than I'm still happy.[/QUOTE]

Ign's article about it is pretty good. They mention how they were at the developer's a couple of months ago and asked about Killzone 2. They were told that it was in development, NOT for PS3, and that they hadn't even gotten a PS3 dev kit yet. Obviously, it has been moved to PS3, but my guess is that they had made some of the cinemas and decided to pass it off as gameplay. Odds are when they produced those cinemas they didn't even have any idea as to the power of the PS3, beyond rough estimates. Perhaps the PS3 has that kind of power, but I wouldn't expect to see things that look that good for quite some time.

You can see my edited response in the nintendo thread, I'll go and read the IGN article if I can find it, just understand I'm only trying to be optimistic because this E3 is generally turning out shitty.

Watching Frogger on e3 live at Gamespot. I feel bad for this woman 'showcasing' it, and it must be akward for Gamespot even covering it.

Does anybody care about Frogger anymore?

[quote name='evilmax17']Watching Frogger on e3 live at Gamespot. I feel bad for this woman 'showcasing' it, and it must be akward for Gamespot even covering it.

Does anybody care about Frogger anymore?[/QUOTE]

Did huge business on the PS1 and has been generally profitable ever since. Very dependable kids' franchise, so it isn't going away any time soon.

When you expect so much out of something , the final results will never be good enough, i was expecting way more for 6 years in the making , i am so disappointed by all 3 systems, specially with all of them using the same remote control designs, theres nothing better than change, i think we didn't need new consoles yet , there will be a hard time distingishing the revolution from satellite receivers all around the world, i hope there is more inside that meets the eye, as of right now there is not much that we know about them and there might still be a change of heart for which im praying for, On the other hand There is nothing closer than the revolution and the NES design (picture below), maybe this new generation is named revolution , to remind us all of the revolution made by the NES and that the revolution of Nintendo is back as of this new generation , that nintendo will take over the industry once again , this is samurai x with a cag's point of view !

img_2795079.html

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Actually, the presentation was done with puppets. really, really good puppets.[/QUOTE]

Don't believe him!

IT'S A TRAP!!!

Budokai Tenkaichi is so fucking amazing. Seriously, if you have any interest in DBZ, you'll love this game. It blows away the previous Budokais and it's just so fun to play.

Just curious. Are TVs that support 1080p available today?

It looks like Xbox 360 will support 720p.
PS3 will support 1080p.

So I need to buy a tv that supports 1080p and 720p.

I don't want to pay $60 per game...but don't you guys remember the days of 16bit and 8bit.

Games for SNES and Genesis cost $59.99 and $69.99.

[quote name='Indiana']I don't want to pay $60 per game...but don't you guys remember the days of 16bit and 8bit.

Games for SNES and Genesis cost $59.99 and $69.99.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and in those days I looked forward to a game for weeks or months, and then played it for months once I finally got it. I didn't have hundreds of games or any kind of "backlog."

I think I was happier back then than I am now getting games for $10 and under, oddly enough. Too much saturation today? Ah, well, no use crying about the good old days, it will never be that way again.

1080p is a mystery right now because you get into Upconversion versus accepting a native 1080p signal (like 1080i GT4 isn't really 1080i, its just upcovnerted 480).

There are TV's that will take a 1080i signal and upconvert it to 1080p, but they are few and far between. That will change over time, but we're talking the here-and-now.

The cheapest one is a 37" Westinghouse LCD that upconverts to 1080p. However, wether it will take a Videogame signal and upconvert it (like most TV's will upconvert 720p to 1080i, or downconvet 1080i to 720p) it may not be able to do that with a game signal.

(as most CRT based TV"s can't take a 720p Xbox game and upconvert it to 1080i)....I said most.....not all. Some CRT sets can do this, but most cannot.

So its a grey-area right now. Thing is, 1080i versus 1080p you really shouldn't notice much difference because of the already high-resolution of a 1080i screen. You wont see the combing or artifacting you get with a 480 line interlaced signal.

If sony is saying its machine is capable of OUTPUTTING a 1080p signal, well, then its going to have to be able to paint a 1920x1080 screen 30 to 60 times a second.....and most high end computers can't even do that.

Which gets into another arguement....is a 1080p display displaying at 30 or 60Hrz.....
1080i at 60hz versus 1080p at 30hz...or 1080p at 60hz...!?

I'm shooting for a new lcd based display just for my next-gen systems......I'm shooting for 720p, but if a 1080 LCD becomes affordable with decent performance, I guess I'll consider that too.

Here's something interesting I came across.

Blu-ray will be using a data layer only 0.1mm from the surface. That's compared to the 0.6mm of today's DVDs. That means scratches could be more deadly to your Blu-ray discs. You might want to be more wary of buying pre-owned PS3 games.

I dont remember any SNES game costing $60 bucks. I remember them costing $30 to $40, not sure where you shopped...(Big City perhaps?).

Backlash is 100% correct..we're all oversaturated now......you'd wait months for a game to come out and play it for days, because the game itself was of a repetitive nature. I mean, did it EVER get old beating the crap out of waves of thugs in Final Fight or Streets of Rage? How many times did you replay Battletoads or a game like Actraiser....? Loads. Super Contra? or Contra.....or heck even Castlevania? Or Punch out? We just kept playing.

But today, with games being so story-driven or cinematic, you can blow through a game in one day and then you're left to wonder "Why isn't there more"?? The more cinematic the game is, the more we are impressed the first time through..and the less we are impressed after that.

Our expectations have changed alot as well.

We've all got dozens of the same "type" of game...the racing game, the 3rd person action game, the first person shooters. They're all good, but with Halo we want "more"...we want eighty maps not 8.......

We have all grown up to be people who want more choices, delivered faster, and then its "on to the next thing". ADD is something we've brought on ourselves :D

How many times did you replay Battletoads

If by replay you mean get up to biker level then die, then yes I did that all the time. but I never could beat the bike track

There were assloads of games that costed $60 for the SNES..Hell some of them were even $70.

Super Street Fighter 2 comes to mind..I remember buying it at worst buy. The MSRP was 64.99 because it was a 32 mb cart or whatever and worst buy had it on sale for 59.99

as far as blu ray scratches go, the ps3 will likely be using the cd caddy system, so you never come directly in contact with the disc.

I never bought Super Street Fighter 2, I remember plunking down $50.00 for Street Fighter 2 however when that came out, at that point I shouted to my ceiling "WE HAVE NOW REACHED THE AGE WHERE THE ARCADE WILL LITERALLY COME HOME IN NEARLY PERFECT TRANSLATION!"

hahaha..how naive I was....so 80's in my thinking :)

Then polygon games came along and shut me up good.

RPG's I never bought...I thought for the most part the average SNES or Genesis game was $39.99 or $49.99 brand new.....

Weren't games for the "next gen" systems supposed to be cheaper because they were going to abandon expensive cartridges and move instead to cheap CD's?

[quote name='gsr']as far as blu ray scratches go, the ps3 will likely be using the cd caddy system, so you never come directly in contact with the disc.[/QUOTE]

Well, you would come into contact with the disc when you pulled it from the case, unless you have telekinetic powers. But scratches from regular use aren't worrisome. It's the ones you're likely to see on used games that would be troubling.

But maybe Blu-ray has better error correction to compensate.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Well, you would come into contact with the disc when you pulled it from the case, unless you have telekinetic powers. But scratches from regular use aren't worrisome. It's the ones you're likely to see on used games that would be troubling.

But maybe Blu-ray has better error correction to compensate.[/QUOTE]

yeah, well..let's see how they ship them.

[quote name='Backlash']I think some of the RPGs were $60, and Starfox was definitely $70 (the F/X chip, remember?)[/QUOTE]

Plenty of games got into the $80 range. Koei's war games were particularly expensive. The US audience was seen as being very small since this genre was mor elikely to be played on PCs, so they charged high to make money on very small production runs. Some of those titles only had 10K or 20K units. This was a tiny run for cartridges since the cost of the initial mask was quite high and had to be spread across the whole run.

[quote name='HeadRusch']I never bought Super Street Fighter 2, I remember plunking down $50.00 for Street Fighter 2 however when that came out, at that point I shouted to my ceiling "WE HAVE NOW REACHED THE AGE WHERE THE ARCADE WILL LITERALLY COME HOME IN NEARLY PERFECT TRANSLATION!"

hahaha..how naive I was....so 80's in my thinking :)

Then polygon games came along and shut me up good.

RPG's I never bought...I thought for the most part the average SNES or Genesis game was $39.99 or $49.99 brand new.....

Weren't games for the "next gen" systems supposed to be cheaper because they were going to abandon expensive cartridges and move instead to cheap CD's?[/QUOTE]

That was before the average number of personnel on a game project increased by several times. The ability to display greater detail means someone has to actually create all of those details. Where one artist might had created a whole menagerie of monsters in a month ten years ago, it can now take a week to produce one really nice monster with full animation, behaviors, etc. The tools are improving all the time but creating original work that really uses the full capability of these new machines will still require massive amounts of skilled human labor.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Well, you would come into contact with the disc when you pulled it from the case, unless you have telekinetic powers. But scratches from regular use aren't worrisome. It's the ones you're likely to see on used games that would be troubling.

But maybe Blu-ray has better error correction to compensate.[/QUOTE]

No, this would be similar to the UMD style of caddy, or even a 3.5" diskette. It would come encased from the factory. It wouldn't be like the early CD-ROM systems where you had to have your own stock of caddies if you didn't want to hassle with changing out the discs.

bread's done
Back