PS2/PS3 E3 Game Announcement Thread

simply put--
if it is roughly the same size of a PS2 controller, it won't feel that much different than what we are used to. it just looks like a ps2 controller but with tusks instead of nubby teeth

If you look very closely at the IGN pics you can see a lot of the tiny imperfections that make it obvious they arnt renders. In I-8 you can see the floting character casts a somewhat blocky shadow, in the GT4 shots you can see the cliping in someof the low poly-count characters that they use for secondary pit crew and by standers. The Killzone pics have a lot of fuzzy pixels that would have been perfect looking had it been rendered.

Whoa, I-8 is the most impressive to me. It seems to be in an actual gameplay situation instead of some glamour shots. Looks nice.

I'm mildly confused by Sony's statement on the Cell processor. They made it out to be vastly better than than the 360's even though they both are based off of the same basic processor, clearly the cell is more powerful due to it's design. (Both the Cell and the 360's processors are based off of the Power PC processor/G5 processor seen in macs.) I wonder if they took into account that the 360 has 3 of these processor vs. Sony's one. Sony went on about how much more powerful one cell processor is verses the 360's yet they didn't state if its more powerful than all 3 or just 1. Ideally wouldn't the 360 have the greater processing power? Everything else about the systems are about equal if you look at their specs on IGN.

I plan on buying both consoles, (most likely all 3 like I did this gen) but this whole show that sony pulled off seemed like the same bs that they did with the PS2 and its emotion engine.

just got home and finished reading most of the thread. I am now getting excited over the next gen. XBOX 360 looked great but, IMO, it seemed like their games were stuff that current pcs could handle.

I'm really not liking the system design though. I was hoping for something ultra-sexy after seeing the PSP. Ah well, its not that important to me.

About the controller. 1)It isn't final (although probably close to it) 2) none of us have felt it. I also find it strange that they decided to allow 7 wireless controllers. Why not 8 like PS2/PS1 or 6 just to make it even. I rarely use more than 4 so its not really a big deal, but the odd number bugs me a bit. I'm glad they finally got rid of multi-taps though. I really hated sony for not providing 4 ports in the PS2 when the Dreamcast and N64 both had 4. Sony has totally redeemed itself in my eyes. They fixed everything that was wrong with PS2. Here's to hoping for good hardware this time around.

Best news of the night, Hideo writing script for MGS4.

Most likely the 7th controller is going to be a mouse or keyboard. That seems more logical, than an added 7th player. It just wouldn't be symmetrical on screen.

[quote name='Zoglog']why do you people always assume multiplayer games have to have split screens.....[/QUOTE]
Because they want to see a screen divided 7 ways. :razz:

[quote name='CaseyRyback']that they probably changed the design solely because of the 93 million dollar lawsuit and the cease and desist order they were given from Immersion[/QUOTE]

you do realize the lawsuit was not for the controller itself but for the force feedback mechanism within... It has nothing to do with affecting how the controller turned out -_-...... that's all Sony's creative team there for yah. It's a shame if they force you to play killzone on that controller. They really need to switch the left analog and dpad position.

The only benifit i've seen in keeping in that position would be #1 ape escape, and #2 any virtual on type contorl games.

[quote name='Zoglog']you do realize the lawsuit was not for the controller itself but for the force feedback mechanism within... It has nothing to do with affecting how the controller turned out -_-...... that's all Sony's creative team there for yah. It's a shame if they force you to play killzone on that controller. They really need to switch the left analog and dpad position.

The only benifit i've seen in keeping in that position would be #1 ape escape, and #2 any virtual on type contorl games.[/QUOTE]

I know the lawsuit was about the force feedback but they also had to add wireless support along with a battery, which probably made the old style controller too small to fit anything (the force feedback barely fits inside). I do still think the lawsuit probably still factored into the changing of the controller, considering they probably do not want to have any further problems with Immersion.

[quote name='pumbaa']"They also ran the computer generated Spider-Man model from the actual Spider-Man 2 movie in real-time on PS3. Amazing."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614678p1.html

Are they effing serious? Sony is NOT fucking around this generation.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that, sony makes high mark claims before, which they didn't live up to, Remember, them claiming "real time toy story on PS2" Hah! Ha! have yet to see that...

The PS3 is sure impressive but, sony has fuck me up the ass too many times...
Having 3 PS2 broken down on me and shitload of dead pixel on my PSP w/ my Right shoulder button sticking... I'm sure PS3 will follow suit...

I'll wait atleast a month until I hear some good remarks... before dropping the dough for sony this time...

[quote name='Zoglog']why do you people always assume multiplayer games have to have split screens.....[/QUOTE]

Thats because most multiplayer games have split screens. (exceptions being fighting games.)

Did Sony mention anything about the online side of things? Are they going to try and improve it at all or provide a Live type service?

For whoever that was talking about the air vents, they're right on top when it's standing up.

Very good showing, they showed off the technical aspects and had plenty of games to show off as well. I can't wait to see what else they have in store as we approach the coming months and the launch of the Xbox 360. I don't remember seeing the controller anywhere in the conference so that would seem to tell me it's not a final design like it has been mentioned. Now I'm waiting for the Revolution showing and much more games and info to come out this week.

that is the ugliest system ive ever seen in my life!. The Controller looks god awful uncomfertable. Think The Duke on xbox was bad? just wait...

I dont care for the idea of a front loading game system either. Especially with the used industry being so huge, how on earth can you imagine the games being taking care of when theres immature teenagers and children pulling the discs out and getting them all finger printy/ dirty?

I doubt they'll go as far as Live, it's still not a well proven buisness model. Anything that = extra fees is usually unwelcome.

The force feedback lawsuit would have forced them to get rid of the dual motor design, inorder to create a vibration motor that worked the same with all the previous games and still have the new functions would have meant a redesign of the circuitboard inside and no longer using "dual motors" it was probably a silly idea to keep calling it a "dual shock" so they changed it. That's how I see it.

The "Toy story" comment was more that they could do toystory-like graphics which, while they have had horrible anti-aliasing issues, still isn't too incredibly far from the truth. They were talking about characters with facial feature that can change and look highly detailed in an open environment. If anything Squeenix proved the system was capable of that several times in a single year. Now can they controll a Movie level Spiderman CG? I sure they can, can they do it in a game environment with 30 NPCs and 5 city blocks of buildings while calculating collision and AI? Probably not but that's not what they said, all they said was they could run a spiderman model with no problem.

The controller design isn't so bad, but I definitely prefer the look of the PS2 model. I really don't care how it looks as long as it feels right while playing and is comfortable.

The FFVII demo looked great, hopefully it's the beginning of a remake on the PS3. That would probably be my first pre-order since the PS1 days(at the cheapest possible price of course).

If the PS3 really is more powerful than the 360 then maybe Team Ninja will decide against making future games for the XBOX. That would make me happy while also saving me money. :D

[quote name='onikage']The controller design isn't so bad, but I definitely prefer the look of the PS2 model. I really don't care how it looks as long as it feels right while playing and is comfortable.

The FFVII demo looked great, hopefully it's the beginning of a remake on the PS3. That would probably be my first pre-order since the PS1 days(at the cheapest possible price of course).[/QUOTE]

the point im making is it LOOKS uncomfy. someone earlier said it looks like a microsoft sidewinder controller, and those things were TERRIBLE.

The feel of it, of course, is still out in the open. But i dont care for what ive seen so far.

Alas...could not join CheapyD this year in L.A. so I am living off the articles on the web.

Some PS3 Musings.....
Maybe its just me....but is anyone else kinda disappointed in the design???

1) Its looks like the almost the same form factor as the PS2....just curved??!! Can't tell from pics but is it the size of the Slim PSTwo?? That would be impressive.

2) That controller is ugly. Sorry. If Anyone remember the Logitech PS2 controllers from a Couple years ago??? NEXT! (Sony should have settled that lawsuit)

3) Slot Loading.......eeek this worries me.....with the problems with Sony's 1st year models of each of their consoles.....I can sense alot of scratched Discs or stuck ones coming.

4) Is that thing on the left a flip top/down lid for the memory card/sd/memory stick slots/HDD Slots??

5) KILLZONE Pics look impressive......they'd better get the gameplay down b/c the 1st one SUCKED.

6) They better have a reason to integrate the HDD like the XBOX 360.....i.e. an online service with one username and friends list......seriously....or it could be a dodo like the PS2 one (though I love it.....and HD LOADER).

7) They show 3 different colors......but will Sony ever actually offer them??? I don't see them doing that.

8) TEKKEN 6...better be online. WARHAWK....I almost fainted. I absolutely loved that game....really sold the PS1 to me as the beginning of the next gen when I bought that game. Despite the cheesy FMV....oooh the memories.

Anyhoo....can't wait to see what Nintendo has tomorrow morning. One thing I will say....Sony's announcements while impressive I don't see as many people holding off for PS3 only this time around as with PS2 vs Dreamcast.

Me....I'll buy everything.....2x

From the available pics, I can't really judge how round the top will be. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable. The overall shape of the ps3 reminds me of a scanner or a printer.

The controllers look horrible, completely UGLY and I'm not quite sure how they would stick to that "tusk" design. Take a look at the ps2 controller, the two handles slant downward and your hand conforms neatly around them. Now if the ps3 contoller has the long handles and they also slant, it'll still be comfortable but imagine placing the controller down on the ground. It would be very awkward looking. And if they don't slant, which looks to be the case from the pics, then it's going to be quite uncomfortable.

I also don't like how the triangle button and circle button seem to be on the edge of the controller and the shoulder buttons seem to be really far up.

Gamewise - I don't like where Capcom's going with Dante's design with the long bangs and he looks a lot skinnier.

It's been confirmed that the PS3 will be backwards compatible so I'm probably going to stick with it since I've already got so many ps2 games. I hope that sony will continue to have exclusives from Capcom, Square, just to name a few plus I'm sure sony won't fail in the first party games either. And I can't wait to see games in HD and hopefully aliasing problems are a thing of the past.

yes the 1080p resolution is very impressive...that is one thing that I saw in the specs that they have on the XBOX 360. While not an issue for me (I am waiting patiently till june-august thats when the 1st 1080p sets really get into mainstream stores)....the average gamer may not be able to afford full 1080p resolution until well into the PS3 lifecycle (smallest 1080P screen I've seen is 50"....and its expensive). Though it is ...so sick.

Damn am I the only one who didn't like Warhawk for the psx?

You guys that think the ps3 looks ugly or too big...remember that you can fit a hard drive in it, and if they didn't curve the system, it would look almost identical to the ps2, as you can see from the bottom.

Games that look really amazing to me are Heavenly Sword, Gundam, NioH, Killing Day, Eyedentify, and Fight Night(even tho I hate EA).

My main concern about the ps3 are the loading times. How fast will the Blu Ray, DVD, and CD discs run at? I could stand Blu Ray running at 2x, but it'll suck for CD/DVD to run at 2x, since most games will be coming out on DVD at first(at least I think). And also if the backwards compatibility games will be capped at 2x as well.

I remember why I love WARHAWK so much.....of the 1st gen PS1 games...it was pretty groundbreaking IMO. Singletrac (now Incognito) was ON FIRE with TWISTED METAL & WARHAWK.

I remember the exact level where you blow up this warship and all the planes and I said "what am I supposed to do now"

WHen i figured ou you had to fly into the Warship and blow it up from the inside.....was a moment of gaming bliss.

[quote name='Sk']I'm mildly confused by Sony's statement on the Cell processor. They made it out to be vastly better than than the 360's even though they both are based off of the same basic processor, clearly the cell is more powerful due to it's design. (Both the Cell and the 360's processors are based off of the Power PC processor/G5 processor seen in macs.) I wonder if they took into account that the 360 has 3 of these processor vs. Sony's one. Sony went on about how much more powerful one cell processor is verses the 360's yet they didn't state if its more powerful than all 3 or just 1. Ideally wouldn't the 360 have the greater processing power? Everything else about the systems are about equal if you look at their specs on IGN.

I plan on buying both consoles, (most likely all 3 like I did this gen) but this whole show that sony pulled off seemed like the same bs that they did with the PS2 and its emotion engine.[/QUOTE]

Yea, when Sony showed the graph it compared the PS3 cell processor to one 3.2 Ghz Xbox 360 processor. I told this to my brother (Sony Fanboy) and he said “remember the hype with the real time toy story graphics? Sony is just blowing smoke up our asses once again.”

[quote name='goosedude']3) Slot Loading.......eeek this worries me.....with the problems with Sony's 1st year models of each of their consoles.....I can sense alot of scratched Discs or stuck ones coming.[/QUOTE]

I have (had) a Sony Mini Disc Settop player that was a Slot Loader. And oh boy did it suck! It worked perfectly for about a year, then the eject system in it got all busted. If i put anything in it now, I will never get it back....except for the random times it turns on by itself and spit a disc out. Then once its out it keeps trying to spit more discs out even though its empty. I had to unplug it b/c it kept turning on by itself.

I think the slot loader is Sony also trying to deter mods/bootlegs. Definatley no spring trick, flip-top or ghost clips this time. Of course modchip creators are pretty resourceful so we'll see.

I hate the controller look. Dual Shock 2 was the best since the old Genesis 6 button. If it's the lawsuit they didn't have to make it that different. Hell XBOX360s new controller looks more like it. But it may play well, so who knows.

I have to say after viewing the Sony Press Conference.....though the controller of the PS3 is underwhelming. The Technical Demos are outstanding (wow to MOTOR STORM). We'll have to see what Microsoft shows off in their tech demos....

It looks the same size as the original PS2 model.

Intriguing ideas:
the Dual HD Outputs for Panoramic Display over 2 HD Displays (32:9)
The HD IP Camera and promising of Video Chat while playing
PSP Access to your media/Remote Controller/Display via broadband??

Questions:
Will PLAYSTATION NETWORK be as advanced as XBOX Live?
Whats with the 2 Internal Gigabit ports mentioned??

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']that is the ugliest system ive ever seen in my life!. The Controller looks god awful uncomfertable. Think The Duke on xbox was bad? just wait...

I dont care for the idea of a front loading game system either. Especially with the used industry being so huge, how on earth can you imagine the games being taking care of when theres immature teenagers and children pulling the discs out and getting them all finger printy/ dirty?[/QUOTE]

dude stop looking for reasons to bitch.

1) youve never played a game with the controller, please tell me how you know its uncomfortable. the gc controller looked awful to me, but when i was playing a game with it, it worked perfectly.

2)what the hell is your second paragraph even about?! both ps2 and xbox are front loading systems, used market? are you drunk or something?

Hopefully, we will be able to have multiple colors of the system unlike with Xbox 360 which will only be that suck ass grayish white color.

I didn't see the conference but did they state whether or not PS3 will be backwards compatible?

i have a question, it might have already been covered.

will there be controller ports?

i ask this because i would be very dissapointed if i couldnt play with my ddr mats or my taiko drum on the ps3, that would strongly want me to wait until it get really cheap, since those games are important to me and i wouldnt want to have 2 systems around just for those. (though i would)

[quote name='Ledhed']Seriously, what's with the Spider-Man font?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ozzkev55']i noticed the spiderman font, maybe it has something to do with their spiderman fascination

EDIT: There i go again[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i noticed the Spider-man font when i first saw the system. Kinda odd.

[quote name='basketkase543']{QUOTE=Ozzkev55]i noticed the spiderman font, maybe it has something to do with their spiderman fascination

EDIT: There i go again[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i noticed the Spider-man font when i first saw the system. Kinda odd.[/QUOTE]

It's really not that odd, its Sony's new font that they used for Spiderman the Movie made by Sony Pictures, the want you to think sony whenever you see that font, not Spiderman. Not saying it works just telling you why.

Any word yet on whether PS3 is still using Blu-ray or is now using dvds?

EDIT: Oops, heh-heh. I found this at Gamespot:

[quote name='"gamespot"']Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3 will use Blu-ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. Sony also confirmed that the machine will be backward compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, an SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD, somewhat similar to the Xbox 360's. Sony did not mention if the drive would be standard.[/quote]

um why are people complaining about the look of the ps3 , I mean how much different is it than a ps2 . And if i recall the ps2 was also labeled as an ugly machine also .

[quote name='punqsux']i have a question, it might have already been covered.

i ask this because i would be very dissapointed if i couldnt play with my ddr mats or my taiko drum on the ps3, that would strongly want me to wait until it get really cheap, since those games are important to me and i wouldnt want to have 2 systems around just for those. (though i would)[/QUOTE]

I bet they will have some sort of PS2-to-USB port add ons in the future. If Sony doesn't do it, I bet some third party will.

[quote name='punqsux']i have a question, it might have already been covered.

i ask this because i would be very dissapointed if i couldnt play with my ddr mats or my taiko drum on the ps3, that would strongly want me to wait until it get really cheap, since those games are important to me and i wouldnt want to have 2 systems around just for those. (though i would)[/QUOTE]

Neither legacy controller nor memory ports are in evidence from the photos of the rear panel or under the pop-up door in front. But on the controller front that shouldn't be a problem. There are already several USB adapters for PS2 controllers on the market. Sony needs to produce an official version with support in the firmware. This would hopefully also provide at least one legacy memory slot as well.

[quote name='spoo']Yea, when Sony showed the graph it compared the PS3 cell processor to one 3.2 Ghz Xbox 360 processor. I told this to my brother (Sony Fanboy) and he said “remember the hype with the real time toy story graphics? Sony is just blowing smoke up our asses once again.”[/QUOTE]
Thats kind of a let down. So if a developer knew how to get the most out of the 360s three processor they could make equally if not more impressive games. The GPUs on both systems have only a 50 MHz difference between them. So aside from the differences in ram their both about equal. I guess the quality of the games will depend on which system is easier to develop for.

[quote name='Southberm']i love the fact that microsoft and ps3 are REALLY stressing out all these HD features when more than 99 percent of people dont have an HD set, including me and just about everybody on these threads...so i dont see why so many ppl are excited about all these HD features when it doesnt mean squat to almost everybody everybody[/QUOTE]

Everyone I know owns a HD set, including my parents. I've had a 65" HD set since 2001. If you can afford a $300 or $400 PS3 or XBX360, you can afford an $800 widescreen HD-ready TV to display em properly.

I wonder if the multiprocessor deal will work against XB2 vs PS3 the way it did for Saturn vs the PS. It was obvious then as it was in the PS2 that extra processors dont necessarily make a better system.

I feel like the controller ports would have to be under the front lid somewhere as using the old controllers are especially necessary for BWC to be useful. If I have a steering wheel or peripheral controllers like the namco guns it's not like I'm going to no longer need them with the boomerang.

Also I could honestly care less about the shape of the system as long as it plays good games. It's not the system I have to hold while I'm playing them.

Everyone I know owns a HD set, including my parents. I've had a 65" HD set since 2001. If you can afford a $300 or $400 PS3 or XBX360, you can afford an $800 widescreen HD-ready TV to display em properly.

Ummm NO.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Everyone I know owns a HD set, including my parents. I've had a 65" HD set since 2001. If you can afford a $300 or $400 PS3 or XBX360, you can afford an $800 widescreen HD-ready TV to display em properly.[/QUOTE]

I agree, you can get decent hd crt sets starting at 400 bucks....

[quote name='goosedude']yes the 1080p resolution is very impressive...that is one thing that I saw in the specs that they have on the XBOX 360. While not an issue for me (I am waiting patiently till june-august thats when the 1st 1080p sets really get into mainstream stores)....the average gamer may not be able to afford full 1080p resolution until well into the PS3 lifecycle (smallest 1080P screen I've seen is 50"....and its expensive). Though it is ...so sick.[/QUOTE]

Well remember something..1080i is sharp enough that combing and stairstepping doesn't really become a problem. I've watched many a movie at 1080i and never noticed any of the issues that plague 480i playback. There wont be a rush to upgrade from 720p or 1080i to 1080p.....heck the biggest problem will be getting people to any kind of HD set, although thats becoming easier as time goes by.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']7...who the fuck thought up seven...try splitting my screen into sevenths. I hate uneven numbers as it is damnit[/QUOTE]

My guess is that its for 6 players and an eye cam or something.

Not actually 7 player games.

[quote name='Alpha2']Also I could honestly care less about the shape of the system as long as it plays good games. It's not the system I have to hold while I'm playing them.[/QUOTE]

If you could care less, than that would mean that it holds some sort of importance for you. If you couldn't care less though, than that would put it on the bottom of your priorities.

[quote name='Snake2715']My guess is that its for 6 players and an eye cam or something.

Not actually 7 player games.[/QUOTE]

The camera is USB. So it would be 7 Bluetooth controllers.

[quote name='Alpha2']Also I could honestly care less about the shape of the system as long as it plays good games. It's not the system I have to hold while I'm playing them.
[/QUOTE]

I'd get it despite the design, though I wish the PS3 was sleeker looking. I much prefer the look of the Revolution or the Xbox 360.

I was hoping the PS3 wouldn't look this good - it would have been nice to see Sony come in last this time around, just because they've been so far ahead for the last two generations. However, I doubt this'll happen. Though I won't be an early adopter, I am completely sold on the PS3, providing the games announced in the next 12 months look as good as the tech demos yesterday did.

[quote name='Alpha2']I wonder if the multiprocessor deal will work against XB2 vs PS3 the way it did for Saturn vs the PS. It was obvious then as it was in the PS2 that extra processors dont necessarily make a better system.

I feel like the controller ports would have to be under the front lid somewhere as using the old controllers are especially necessary for BWC to be useful. If I have a steering wheel or peripheral controllers like the namco guns it's not like I'm going to no longer need them with the boomerang.

Also I could honestly care less about the shape of the system as long as it plays good games. It's not the system I have to hold while I'm playing them.

Ummm NO.[/QUOTE]

The Saturn became a multi-processor system late in its development cycle and Sega's engineers had little realworld idea of how to implement such a thing. It was a horrible mess of a system and didn't provide a true 3D pipeline like the PS1 did. That was also twelve years ago. It's different story for the new machines. Microsoft has long experience in SMP OS and application design. For instance, one of the test apps that really shows off the power of the new dual core x86 CPUs, especially AMD's, is the Windows Media Encoder.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1813754,00.asp

IBM has been dealing in multicore designs for quite a while now and has a vested interested in providing good dev tools for Cell.

[quote name='Sk']I plan on buying both consoles, (most likely all 3 like I did this gen) but this whole show that sony pulled off seemed like the same bs that they did with the PS2 and its emotion engine.[/QUOTE]

Ah, but we're not talking about Emotion Engine anymore. Now we're talking about the "Reality Synthesizer," which is 35 times more powerful that the system that Saddam Houssein hoarded to launch his nuclear missles. :D

bread's done
Back