PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

I would say maybe try looking around at different department stores and seeing if you can order a 60gb online from them before you get an opened one.
You're right, it's never a good time to throw down that much cash, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

As some of you may have read, I'm thinking about getting back on the PS3 bandwagon. My reasons for leaving the Xbox aren't too terribly important right now except to say that I'd like to simplify my electronics life a bit. I've currently got a 360 to play games. I've got a mac mini as my media center PC. It's a system that's working pretty well in many respects, but not ideal because I've got too many electronics.

I wonder if the PS3 can substitute for the 360 and mini. My mini houses all my music and video. Most of the music is in AAC format (non-DRM mp4 audio) and the movies are either .avi or .mp4 files. Can the PS3 play these files back? If I install Linux on the PS3, can I install a bittorrent client to pull down my tv shows, as I do with my mini?

My mini also serves as my tv tuner for clear QAM broadcasts. I get local (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox) HD channels for free because they are broadcast in the "clear" and all I have to do is hook up an HDHomerun box to the computer. It works great for my HD broadcast needs. I've read rumors of the PS3 getting tv tuner/DVR capabilities. Is this true?

I'm thinking of selling my mini, returning my 360 to Costco and getting a PS3. Are any of you using the PS3 as your media center? What are your experiences like? TIA.

I use my PS3 as a media center, but only because I'm bored and use the remote play feature on my PSPs (both slim and fat).

The PS3 is supposed to play DivX and WMV files, which it seems to have no trouble doing. Xvid is hit or miss. Supposedly, H.264, MP4, MPG and TS work. Other formats beyond the ones I mentioned are not going to work right now (as far as I know). Sometimes, different versions of different formats work better than others. I think out of the 10 random videos I tried in different formats about 5 worked. PSP owners will be able to stream Blu Ray movies from their PS3 to their PSPs.

I do not have an internal card reader on my PS3 because I'm running a modified 20 GB base model with some bells and whistles I added on my own. I copy files from my PC to the PS3 through the network.

Right now, I don't think it's safe to use it as your only media center source because it doesn't play back everything. It's fairly easy to convert files to work on the PS3, as long as, you don't mind letting your computer do the converting while you sleep.

Here is a quote from kotaku:

"DivX playback is limited to non-copyrighted material under 2GB, and DivX 3.11 and earlier encoding is not supported. "

Tool to convert videos to PS3 formats, and I am not responsible if this fucks your computer up, and yes there ads on the page

This may have been covered, but I've spent about an hour looking through google to find something, and here and found nothing, so here goes.

I have the rhapsody music service on my pc, and the program (running in UPnP) will show up on my PS3 as a media server, and I can scroll through all of my tracks and whatnot, but none will play as they are in an "unsupported format."

Anybody know of a way to get this to work? Or because the files are downloaded in either .wma (drm) or .rax (drm) make it impossible?

I can't seem to get it to work.

Will.

Ebay scammers like to say "only opened to test" when really it simply was a used system or game.

I love the auctions that claim "NEW" but when u read the description it says it has been opened to "test" ....

Double check the auction listing.
Contact the seller. Ask him for an explination as to why it was not sealed/new.
If you are correct and he is a honest seller he will offer to give you a refund or possibly give you 50-100 dollars back due to the system being used and not "new"..

I would try and see if some kind of partial credit/refund could be made.

You probably wont have much luck trying to find 60gigs in your local stores.

People love the PS3. But a lot of people sell their items for money since money can pay bills etc etc. Thats what ebay is about. Has nothing to do with a item being unwanted.

I've got VisualHub that'll convert anything to anything (on the Mac), so I can convert stuff. I'd rather not have to and since I rip my own DVDs and netflixed ones, I can make sure they're in the right format.

How's the UI for playback? Is it usable?

Can the PS3 use a networked drive? I'm planning on getting a NAS drive for all my media storage and it'd be great if I can use the media there without trouble.

If you are going to have a nas device, make so it can run tversity. Tvsersity handles the transcoding of of formats that the PS3 does not support. Then you don't have to have the hastle of converting and copying to the PS3.

The PS3 can't access network drives, only uPnP media servers (ala tversity). The 360 is the same in this regard.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']If you are going to have a nas device, make so it can run tversity. Tvsersity handles the transcoding of of formats that the PS3 does not support. Then you don't have to have the hastle of converting and copying to the PS3.

The PS3 can't access network drives, only uPnP media servers (ala tversity). The 360 is the same in this regard.

~S[/QUOTE]
I'd like it to be independent of my computer, so it won't be "running" anything. If I've got to run it through my computer, I'll use the Nullriver software (Medialink) on my Mac. Anyone with experience using it?

But what you're telling me, and what I've found, is that NAS won't work. What about an external drive? I've got plenty of those lying around.

[quote name='D_Icon']Would this work good with a PS3?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2
[/quote]
Yes. They rule--I have 4 of them. Don't use them with my PS3 (HDMI FTMFW!!), though there is one hooked up to my PS2 (don't ask me why I haven't disconnected it yet, I don't know :)). They're about the best optical cables I've ever seen/used, in terms of build quality. Which is nice since they're 1/4 the price of the cheapest horseshit cables you can get at BB. :)

Those will work beautifully with your PS3.

[quote name='geko29']Yes. They rule--I have 4 of them. Don't use them with my PS3 (HDMI FTMFW!!), though there is one hooked up to my PS2 (don't ask me why I haven't disconnected it yet, I don't know :)). They're about the best optical cables I've ever seen/used, in terms of build quality. Which is nice since they're 1/4 the price of the cheapest horseshit cables you can get at BB. :)

Those will work beautifully with your PS3.[/quote]

Thanks for the help. I didnt know PS2 had an optical cable outlet, I might get two then.

On eBay the key is to be careful and only buy one from an individual with 100% feedback and what sounds like an honest description. I always avoid eBay "stores" where 95% of the item's description is a bunch of un-related BS with legal terms and other crap.

And btw, buying PS3 games on eBay is always worth it. Blu-ray discs have a special hard coating that does an excellent job preventing scratches. I've bought like four used PS3 games and none of them have had any scratches whatsoever.

DRM makes it impossible.

I'm in a similar situation with my Zune Pass. Songs work on the 360 but not on the PS3.

[quote name='Thomas96']I don't think sony will bring out the 65nm chips until they're redesigning the console.[/QUOTE]40GB has a 65nm cell, but still a 90nm GPU.

[quote name='naes']My 20GB runs extremely quiet so I don't see why sound would be an issue on any.[/QUOTE]The 20GB PS3 consoles are very quiet (It's what I own). My only issue with them is I cannot upgrade to wireless easily and I need more HDD space (so I plan to upgrade it). I just hear a few 80GB PS3 consoles (and maybe some 60GB) which aren't quiet, but not many.

EDIT: Glad to hear you get a PS3 naes. :D Hope to see you online one day. ;)

[quote name='mtxbass1'](which sounds like a small jet)[/quote]
This is OT but, [most] small jets are louder than the big ones. The inlet guide vanes on the smaller bizjets are part of the problem. The first stage compressor is right behind the IGVs and that high pitch sound is the compressor choping the air right after the IGVs. The 360 sounds more like a jumbo turbo fan. :D

Oh yeah, PS3s are almost silent. Mine makes noise, but only when I have the sound down and am really trying to hear sounds.

question, does remote play allow you to watch blu-ray on your psp? I dont see the blu-ray option when I'm accessing my PS3 through remote play.

[quote name='kleptoix']question, does remote play allow you to watch blu-ray on your psp? I dont see the blu-ray option when I'm accessing my PS3 through remote play.[/quote]

I do not believe so. This is by design I think (they do not want you to be able to watch your Blu-Rays on your PSP, at least not yet).

[quote name='cochesecochese']Is there any way to make a DS3 work with Windows as a gamepad?[/quote]

There are no technical limitations that prevent you from using it, but Sony has not written drivers for it. I think this is because they do not want to spend resources on it, but I do not know. That does not mean someone else has not taken the initiative and written drivers for it though.

[quote name='Oxygen']There are no technical limitations that prevent you from using it, but Sony has not written drivers for it. I think this is because they do not want to spend resources on it, but I do not know. That does not mean someone else has not taken the initiative and written drivers for it though.[/quote]

I found a driver for the Sixaxis, but I've never tried it before.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Is there any way to make a DS3 work with Windows as a gamepad?[/quote]
There's a SIXAXIS driver, might work with the DS3 but without rumble.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45209

Be careful though, it uses some open source USB drivers that can screw with your existing USB devices. It prevented my Zune from synching and gave me a big headache trying to figure out what was causing it.

Sorry guys, I have family over and I'm trying to show them pics on the PS3 but I need help. How the hell do you access the SD slot on the system? I have the card filled with pictures but I don't know how to access them. I put the card in and they don't show up in the pictures section so what else should i do? Thanks.

Did u push it all the way in? i was havin the same problem with my pro duo card the first time i used it

Hey all,

Just picked up a used 20 GB machine today, mainly looking to replace my DVD player and my media PC with it. Things are rolling pretty well except for a little issue.

Certain video files (the ones I was getting the problem with are fairly recent episodes of Naruto Shippuden if that helps anything) report the completely wrong length, so a 20+ minute episode will only playback for 11 seconds. In the Display mode that lists the time of the episode and how long it has played, it lists it as only being 11 seconds long total. This happens for all the Naruto eps, but not the few other video files I currently have on the machine. Everything I've been doing has used DivX for what it's worth, both functional and non-functional.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Yeah, i pushed it in and out a few times but there's been no luck. I think there's supposed to be some kind of "check memory card" option but it doesn't show up.

Push it in until it clicks in place (like the PSP's slot). If the system is on and a card in the slot, a yellow dot should light up next to the slot (it's even visible if the door is down).

Navigate the XMB, and you'll see the memory card appear in the photo column. If you can highlight the card on the XMB, press triangle to navigate the card via the folders on the card itself. If the photos are all in one folder, select the first available and navigate them w/ L1 and R1, IIRC.

[quote name='mykevermin']Push it in until it clicks in place (like the PSP's slot). If the system is on and a card in the slot, a yellow dot should light up next to the slot (it's even visible if the door is down).

Navigate the XMB, and you'll see the memory card appear in the photo column. If you can highlight the card on the XMB, press triangle to navigate the card via the folders on the card itself. If the photos are all in one folder, select the first available and navigate them w/ L1 and R1, IIRC.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's the problem: The light comes on but there's no memory card icon. When i first insert the card, it blinks a few times and then gives a solid yellow light but doesn't show any icons.

If your photos are buried too far in folders they won't show up. you may have to edit them where there is only 1 level of folders.

I had this issue with mine: for instance, having Photos->January->Photos here does not work for me but having the january folder w/ the photos in it at the top of the SD card does.

[quote name='basketkase543']I guess that's the problem: The light comes on but there's no memory card icon. When i first insert the card, it blinks a few times and then gives a solid yellow light but doesn't show any icons.[/quote]

If there's no memory card icon showing up, then it sounds like you could have either a bad memory card or it's been formatted improperly. I'd see if you could hook it up to a PC, transfer the pictures off, then format it and put it back in the PS3 and see if you get an icon showing up for it.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Does the 40 gig PS3 have wifi?[/quote]

Damn, VG you are torturing yourself. Can't you just pick up some sidework on craigslist and scrape together the cash?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Exactly. This isn't the 360 (which sounds like a small jet). Even when folding, my PS3 is nearly dead silent. The only time I have EVER heard the fan was when I had it on folding for 41 hours straight. Other than that, it's a non issue.[/QUOTE]

Which model?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, to let you know, most all PS3 consoles are silent. There are some reports of 80GB/Euro 60GB consoles which aren't too silent, but they are still more silent than the 360. Most all 20, 40, and 60GB consoles here are extremely silent, unless you leave them in an enclosed area for a long period of time. My 20GB PS3 is more silent than my Wii even IMO.

The 80GB consoles were manufactured before 65nm cell was being used. I could see SCEA releasing an 80GB revision (who knows, the latest PS3 SKU to be registered at the FCC might be it), with 65nm cell and maybe a few other small cost reductions internally.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it's the 80GB version I'm most likely to get, since the other two aren't available here, and I don't want a crippled 40GB version.

At any rate, I guess I'll just buy an 80GB one when I need it in a few months, and hope for the best. By then there's probably a chance they'll have switched over anyway, since I can't imagine they'd keep using 90nm CPUs.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
At any rate, I guess I'll just buy an 80GB one when I need it in a few months, and hope for the best. By then there's probably a chance they'll have switched over anyway, since I can't imagine they'd keep using 90nm CPUs.[/QUOTE]40GB isn't crippled at all. The only major problem with it is that it cannot play PS2 games. Everything else about it is just fine (IMO, it's mostly better than the 20GB unless you badly want to play PS2 games). There WILL be an emulator one day on the 40GB PS3 which will allow it to play PS2 games, regardless of what Sony says now (for one, they are hiring people to do emulation for PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP, and last gen, the fat PS2 was half software and half hardware for PS1 games. The slim model was 100% software. I guarantee Sony would have preferred to have waited on finishing a complete software emulation (repeating what they did with PS2), but they needed a cheaper PS3 out now).

Also, who knows when the 80GB will go to 65nm, because there are still 90nm chips around (NA and Korea are the only regions having the 80GB now) the factory. I'm not sure if Sony will switch to 65nm or if they'll continue purchasing 90nm (I believe Toshiba handles cell production now).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Which model?

Unfortunately it's the 80GB version I'm most likely to get, since the other two aren't available here, and I don't want a crippled 40GB version.

At any rate, I guess I'll just buy an 80GB one when I need it in a few months, and hope for the best. By then there's probably a chance they'll have switched over anyway, since I can't imagine they'd keep using 90nm CPUs.[/QUOTE]

So a few USB slots, and a mem card reader make it crippled? I mean it has the fancy Chrome stuff, isn't that enough?

Alright, I did some more troubleshooting on my problem, and this is what I've come up with:

The files are XviD encoded. The weird 11-13 second total playback bug happens whether its streamed via WMP, TVersity, or just played off of a USB memory stick in the PS3. I've streamed them off of two different machines and always the same result. Every Naruto episode subbed by DB does this, even fresh ones I just download.

If, however, I run the files through Divx's convertor, they work fine as DIVX files through TVersity.

Any thoughts? Google hasn't even found me a remotely similar problem yet...

bread's done
Back