PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

Maybe it has something to do with the bitstream in the file. If it is packed, the PS3 might not play it. If you are using Windows, try out MPEG-4 Modifier. It also works on Linux and OS X thru Mono. Load up the file, and hit "Unpack Bitstream" and save the new file. Try that new file, and see if that helps.

[quote name='Oxygen']Maybe it has something to do with the bitstream in the file. If it is packed, the PS3 might not play it. If you are using Windows, try out MPEG-4 Modifier. It also works on Linux and OS X thru Mono. Load up the file, and hit "Unpack Bitstream" and save the new file. Try that new file, and see if that helps.[/quote]Awesome, thanks so much! I'll give that a shot when I get home.

I just seemed weird to be that it would, just fine, for like 15 seconds or less. My experience with codecs and videos, etc. is always that it seems to either work fine or not at all.

I apprecite the input. If anyone else has any thoughts, let me know!

It really seems like Sony really loves the 40GB model. It's selling really well and is cheaper to produce than all the other previous version. I can see them pushing this version since it seems to have found the right price point to start selling well. I wonder if they might eventually discontinue the 80gb model and just release versions of the 40gb with maybe more HD space in the future.

Care to share your knowledge? I google'd but I failed. :lol:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yes. I've done that a bunch of times myself.[/quote]

[quote name='Oxygen']Maybe it has something to do with the bitstream in the file. If it is packed, the PS3 might not play it. If you are using Windows, try out MPEG-4 Modifier. It also works on Linux and OS X thru Mono. Load up the file, and hit "Unpack Bitstream" and save the new file. Try that new file, and see if that helps.[/quote]Worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

[quote name='Teqonix']If there's no memory card icon showing up, then it sounds like you could have either a bad memory card or it's been formatted improperly. I'd see if you could hook it up to a PC, transfer the pictures off, then format it and put it back in the PS3 and see if you get an icon showing up for it.[/QUOTE]

Problem solved. I reformatted the card and then put the pics back on it and voila, it worked perfectly. Thanks guys.

Thanks guys. Added a few of the links posted to programs and further guides to the OP. Will continue to add the small trivial knowledge as we come up with them. Tons to cover here, I know and it's hard with not having much time to fully update the OP, but please do continue to try and ask the questions in this thread to cut down on forum clutter. Thanks.

[quote name='rpgpeng']Not sure if anyone asked but... can you use the ps3 guitar with Guitar Hero(1 and 2) on the PS3?? :???:[/QUOTE]Nope. The USB dongle is not made to work with PS2 games also, since it will just turn off completely and not function.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Damn, VG you are torturing yourself. Can't you just pick up some sidework on craigslist and scrape together the cash?[/quote]I don't need the 80 gig version, I want a PS3 to play PS3 games, not PS2 games.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Thanks guys. Added a few of the links posted to programs and further guides to the OP. Will continue to add the small trivial knowledge as we come up with them. Tons to cover here, I know and it's hard with not having much time to fully update the OP, but please do continue to try and ask the questions in this thread to cut down on forum clutter. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for maintaining as long as you have. :) These boards needs a "wikipost" like slickdeals has so we can all contribute.

I just got my PS3 from ebay...the guy shipped it in a box, with no cushion, system was just in the box and the box was pretty beat up...I plugged it in through HDMI and when I power it up all it does is beep once and then 2 quick beeps and it stays off. The machine seems to start and shut down pretty much immediately. Can I assume that its broken?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just got my PS3 from ebay...the guy shipped it in a box, with no cushion, system was just in the box and the box was pretty beat up...I plugged it in through HDMI and when I power it up all it does is beep once and then 2 quick beeps and it stays off. The machine seems to start and shut down pretty much immediately. Can I assume that its broken?[/QUOTE]Well, try this:

-Turn the power switch from the back on (to put the PS3 in standby).
-Press the power button on the front (PS3 makes one beep) and keep your finger on the power button for about 5 seconds (so it can beep again).

If a picture shows up, it will say it detected an HDMI cable and you need to select yes a few times (The PS3 will check all the resolutions your TV supports).

If no picture shows up, it may just be broken. The 360 is set by switching the component switch to HD or SD, while the PS3 resolution has to be reset (if you are going to a TV with a lower resolution than the previous one), so you hold the power button until you hear two beeps (the initial one and another after 5 seconds). If you press the power button, take your finger off, and try pressing it again, it will turn off instead of resetting.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, try this:

-Turn the power switch from the back on (to put the PS3 in standby).
-Press the power button on the front (PS3 makes one beep) and keep your finger on the power button for about 5 seconds (so it can beep again).

If a picture shows up, it will say it detected an HDMI cable and you need to select yes a few times (The PS3 will check all the resolutions your TV supports).

If no picture shows up, it may just be broken. The 360 is set by switching the component switch to HD or SD, while the PS3 resolution has to be reset (if you are going to a TV with a lower resolution than the previous one), so you hold the power button until you hear two beeps (the initial one and another after 5 seconds). If you press the power button, take your finger off, and try pressing it again, it will turn off instead of resetting.[/quote]
Tried it and no go. I press it and beeps one, keep my finger then but it immediately beeps 2 quick times...then goes back to standby. The fan on the back tries to power on but shuts back down.

EDIT: Thanks for the quick response.

EDIT2: This is what the lights look do: They are red, I attempt to turn on, green light briefly shows up, then yellow, then blinking red.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just got my PS3 from ebay...the guy shipped it in a box, with no cushion, system was just in the box and the box was pretty beat up...I plugged it in through HDMI and when I power it up all it does is beep once and then 2 quick beeps and it stays off. The machine seems to start and shut down pretty much immediately. Can I assume that its broken?[/QUOTE]
No advice for you. Just sympathy. That sucks, man. :( I hope you get the bastard to give you your money back.

[quote name='torifile']No advice for you. Just sympathy. That sucks, man. :( I hope you get the bastard to give you your money back.[/quote]

Thanks, I just finished submitting my complaing through PayPal...we'll see what they can do. If all else fails, what's required for Sony to replace the unit if its still under warranty?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']

EDIT2: This is what the lights look do: They are red, I attempt to turn on, green light briefly shows up, then yellow, then blinking red.[/QUOTE]Well, the light is not suppose to turn yellow (have not seen it since I had my PS3).

All right, after doing some searching (can't believe I did not notice this)

360 RRoD = PS3 YLoD.

Here's a link explaining it (and video, but I don't even want to think of it):
http://ps3.qj.net/Video-PS3-dies-after-yellow-light-of-death/pg/49/aid/111969

Yeah, there is a hardware problem and it's dead. Sorry about the news Linkin. :whistle2:(

EDIT: You can Google search PS3 yellow light or something, to find more info.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks, I just finished submitting my complaing through PayPal...we'll see what they can do. If all else fails, what's required for Sony to replace the unit if its still under warranty?[/QUOTE]
Tell me you used a credit card and not paypal funds. If you didn't, you'll get nothing from paypal. If you did, dispute it with your credit card company right away. Don't waste your time trying to deal with paypal. They suck. (I was verifiably defrauded of $150 once through paypal. They did *nothing*. They didn't even try.)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks, I just finished submitting my complaing through PayPal...we'll see what they can do. If all else fails, what's required for Sony to replace the unit if its still under warranty?[/quote]

Ask for a receipt if you didn't get one. Seeing as how the PS3 arrived, I wouldn't be surprised.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, the light is not suppose to turn yellow (have not seen it since I had my PS3).

All right, after doing some searching (can't believe I did not notice this)

360 RRoD = PS3 YLoD.

Here's a link explaining it (and video, but I don't even want to think of it):
http://ps3.qj.net/Video-PS3-dies-after-yellow-light-of-death/pg/49/aid/111969

Yeah, there is a hardware problem and it's dead. Sorry about the news Linkin. :whistle2:(

EDIT: You can Google search PS3 yellow light or something, to find more info.[/quote]
Guess it was too good of a deal to be true...Thanks for your assistance.

EDIT: Just watch the video...that's definately what this machine is doing.

[quote name='torifile']Tell me you used a credit card and not paypal funds. If you didn't, you'll get nothing from paypal. If you did, dispute it with your credit card company right away. Don't waste your time trying to deal with paypal. They suck. (I was verifiably defrauded of $150 once through paypal. They did *nothing*. They didn't even try.)[/quote]
I did pay with credit card but to avoid negative feedback on my end, I want to give the user a chance to atleast make it right before I call my CC company.

Quick question for more experienced PS3 users, is there a reason why more games on the PS3 do not support 1080p resolution ? It seems as if even games that support 1080p on the 360 only have 720p support on the PS3. Right now I only have the exclusive games like Uncharted, Folklore, Warhawk etc.... but am at the point now where I would like to have more games on the PS3. It has been much more stable than my 360 with less noise. The scratch coating on the BR discs helps a ton as well with all the friends, nieces, nephews, wife, other relatives and such not being as careful with things as I am.

With my main TV getting above 52" now the difference begins to be noticable. I know they PS3 can handle 1080p for games easily since most of the PSN games I have bought are all 1080p.

Anyone know any reasoning behind it ?

------------------------------------------------------

Also .... sorry to hear about your system Linkin. Hope everything works out for the best.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Quick question for more experienced PS3 users, is there a reason why more games on the PS3 do not support 1080p resolution ? It seems as if even games that support 1080p on the 360 only have 720p support on the PS3. Right now I only have the exclusive games like Uncharted, Folklore, Warhawk etc.... but am at the point now where I would like to have more games on the PS3. It has been much more stable than my 360 with less noise. The scratch coating on the BR discs helps a ton as well with all the friends, nieces, nephews, wife, other relatives and such not being as careful with things as I am.

With my main TV getting above 52" now the difference begins to be noticable. I know they PS3 can handle 1080p for games easily since most of the PSN games I have bought are all 1080p.

Anyone know any reasoning behind it ?

------------------------------------------------------

Also .... sorry to hear about your system Linkin. Hope everything works out for the best.[/QUOTE]PS3 has never had a hardware resolution scaler. What happens is if a developer designs its game for 720p (which most all next gen games are designed for anyway), the PS3 will switch it to 720p. If a game goes up to 1080p, it will display in that resolution. On the 360, a game already has a native resolution (usually 720p) and the hardware scaler just renders the game in 1080p (It's technically not 1080p, just stretches the image to 1080p). In reality, the differences aren't that big unless a game was made for 1080p resolution. PSN games are easy to run in 1080p since they don't use much power (compared to retail games).

Some games (not Folklore I know for sure) are designed to render in 1080i if your TV does not support 720p. For those who have a TV that goes up to 1080p can uncheck the 720p resolution, and it will render in 1080p (Uncharted does this).

Personally, I've grown to like it since my TV can support any resolution, and I mostly want to play my games in the resolution they suit best (well, with my old TV that went up to 720p/1080i, it was definitely important because some games looked better in 1080i while some looked better in 720p, and I didn't manually have to switch).

Everyone thinks that just because 1080p is higher it is better.

You have to remember that the size and distance from your TV matters. I guess if you want to play closer 1080p is better, but from a certain distance 1080i is perceived the same.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Everyone thinks that just because 1080p is higher it is better.

You have to remember that the size and distance from your TV matters. I guess if you want to play closer 1080p is better, but from a certain distance 1080i is perceived the same.[/quote] The problem is, some fixed pixel sets don't have decent scalers, but still have to display at 1080p (because they physically have 1920x1080 pixels), so forcing them to scale 720p-->1080p looks positively awful. For some sets (typically more expensive ones), this isn't a problem.

Another problem is many CRT-based HD sets (like mine) can display 1080i, but not 720p. So when you give them a 720p signal, it downscales it to either 480p or 540p (depending on the design) and then bobs it back up to 1080i

In either case, the best solution is to provide hardware scaling in the source (as the 360 does) so all your games, regardless of resolution, can play in their highest possible quality on the full range of TVs in customers' homes. In order to play PS3 games in HD on my 57" TV, I have to run the PS3's output through a $2100 external scaler (Onkyo 905 receiver with HQV Reon VX-50 video processor). That's pathetic.

I was thinking of getting a PS3 to play games and Blu Ray DVDs. But I also have a lot of regular DVD's. I've been reading about the upscaling features of the PS3 for regular DVD's and they say that it's halfway decent and better than a 360 Elite.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9722853-1.html

Can anyone share their experiences watching regular DVD's upscaled on PS3. Thanks.

[quote name='MadFlava']I was thinking of getting a PS3 to play games and Blu Ray DVDs. But I also have a lot of regular DVD's. I've been reading about the upscaling features of the PS3 for regular DVD's and they say that it's halfway decent and better than a 360 Elite.

Can anyone share their experiences watching regular DVD's upscaled on PS3. Thanks.[/quote]
I've only done it once (just to try), but it does a very respectable job. Better than almost all inexpensive standalone upscaling players, not as good as the high-end ($400+) ones with the HQV Reon or Realta. It's almost as good as my HD-A1, which itself is just a notch below the HQV units. My 60GB does make a little bit of noise when upscaling (fan in 3rd gear), but the 40GBs in my experience are MUCH quieter under load, so you probably wouldn't notice it as long as you have proper ventilation.

Never tried upscaling DVDs on the 360; it's just too goddamn loud to even bother testing.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the PS3's DVD playback.

[quote name='MadFlava']I was thinking of getting a PS3 to play games and Blu Ray DVDs. But I also have a lot of regular DVD's. I've been reading about the upscaling features of the PS3 for regular DVD's and they say that it's halfway decent and better than a 360 Elite.

Can anyone share their experiences watching regular DVD's upscaled on PS3. Thanks.[/QUOTE]The DVD upscaling on PS3 is very good, and definitely one of the best. Now I cannot compare to the 360 since mine does not have HDMI, but many have stated how it is better. It was also stated that the PS3 upscaling could be improved by up to 30-40% sometime:
If you're already impressed by the PS3's upscaling of older PlayStation games and DVD movies, wait until you see what Sony engineers have in store for future updates. SCE chief technology officer Kawanishi and AV manager Kanehide were talking about the future of the PS3's firmware updates when a very interesting claim was made. "We have gotten feedback from critics regarding several failure patters for upconverting, but we are getting closer to the goal. I think we can improve another 30 to 40%," said Kawanishi. He is talking about the upscaling performance, as in, 30 - 40% better than what was given during firmware 1.80. The dynamic duo also believe they can give this performance boost without additional fan noise, further believing in a future, fanless PS3 console. Very cool indeed.
Link

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Methinks I should rename the thread "Ask TMK". Good job.[/QUOTE]There's no denying I know a lot about the PS3, but I'm not familiar with media streaming from the PC and DivX/Xvid (since I do not have any).

Can anyone share their experiences watching regular DVD's upscaled on PS3. Thanks.[/quote]

I was watching the Tombstone DVD on the PS3. It did seem a lot clearer, but the picture was kind of a reddish color. I then just watched it on my regular DVD player. Although it doesn't upscale, the colors weren't as red. I will say the PS3 does make the picture of a regular DVD a lot clearer no doubt.

How do I know if I have the 1.80 firmware?

[quote name='D_Icon']I was watching the Tombstone DVD on the PS3. It did seem a lot clearer, but the picture was kind of a reddish color. I then just watched it on my regular DVD player. Although it doesn't upscale, the colors weren't as red. I will say the PS3 does make the picture of a regular DVD a lot clearer no doubt.

How do I know if I have the 1.80 firmware?[/QUOTE]If you can login online, you have the firmware update 2.10 (because you MUST update your console to go online). If not, under the XMB, check settings, system settings, and lastly system information. That will reveal your firmware, IP, MAC, and your HDD space.

is there a way to buy dlc, dont install it, and take the HD out and transfer the file on your computer, to send to other ppl so they can use it...so basically pirate the games?

besides the gamesharing way

[quote name='hotrocks']is there a way to buy dlc, dont install it, and take the HD out and transfer the file on your computer, to send to other ppl so they can use it...so basically pirate the games?

besides the gamesharing way[/QUOTE]No. Although you can see your download content if you access the PS Store on the PC, you cannot transfer the file to a computer, external HDD, or anything. The only thing which can be copied the PC I think is a PS1 game (if you have a PSP, because it will appear on the memory stick and can be moved over). I won't go any further than that since I never tried testing (don't have both my PSP handhelds with me).

Wish Linkin's system, I wonder if it was broken before shipping? I'd guess so, but it's even possible it got broken since the idiot threw it into a box...I mean geez! I wonder if they pack LCD screens that way too? :lol:

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Quick question for more experienced PS3 users, is there a reason why more games on the PS3 do not support 1080p resolution ? It seems as if even games that support 1080p on the 360 only have 720p support on the PS3.[/quote]

I think The Mana Knight pretty much covered this, but just to be clear, 360 games DON'T support 1080p. They're rendered at 720p, and sometimes lower (some of the Project Gotham games, Halo 3, etc.), and then it's internal scaler outputs the game at the selected resolution.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of people understand the (huge) distinction, and if the next-next gen systems support 1080p, people will think "but I already had that on my 360!" As well as not understanding that a Playstation 3 game that's displaying 1080p is displaying and processing 2.25x more visual info than a 360 that's "displaying" 1080p. Personally I think it's deceptive. Basically Microsoft is trying to turn a weakness (a system that has even less of a shot rendering at 1080p than the Playstation 3) into a strength (look! every game is 1080p!) by pretty much lying.

As others mentioned, it can be nice having a scaler in the system, and that was probably a good move on Microsoft's part, but if your TV has a good scaler (which it should, if you bought it for gaming) the TV's scaler is going to do a good job too. Sony's TVs (at least recent ones) have excellent scalers that I know are better than Samsung's, but I'm not sure who else ships them with good scalers, as I'm sure that does increase the price at least slightly (I'd think it's got to be a fairly hefty piece of silicon).

The scratch coating on the BR discs helps a ton as well with all the friends, nieces, nephews, wife, other relatives and such not being as careful with things as I am.

What is that? I didn't realize they had anything. That's cool! I'm not going to complain if they can get these discs a bit more robust.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I think The Mana Knight pretty much covered this, but just to be clear, 360 games DON'T support 1080p. They're rendered at 720p, and sometimes lower (some of the Project Gotham games, Halo 3, etc.), and then it's internal scaler outputs the game at the selected resolution.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of people understand the (huge) distinction, and if the next-next gen systems support 1080p, people will think "but I already had that on my 360!" As well as not understanding that a Playstation 3 game that's displaying 1080p is displaying and processing 2.25x more visual info than a 360 that's "displaying" 1080p. Personally I think it's deceptive. Basically Microsoft is trying to turn a weakness (a system that has even less of a shot rendering at 1080p than the Playstation 3) into a strength (look! every game is 1080p!) by pretty much lying.

As others mentioned, it can be nice having a scaler in the system, and that was probably a good move on Microsoft's part, but if your TV has a good scaler (which it should, if you bought it for gaming) the TV's scaler is going to do a good job too. Sony's TVs (at least recent ones) have excellent scalers that I know are better than Samsung's, but I'm not sure who else ships them with good scalers, as I'm sure that does increase the price at least slightly (I'd think it's got to be a fairly hefty piece of silicon).[/quote]Yeah, I was pretty much mentioning that a game could even be 480p, but the hardware scaler will display it in 1080p because that's what it's made to do. Although it may seem like a lot of games are at 1080p, the truth of the matter is that many may might not be in the first place (only rendered in 1080p). Many PS3 games which display in 1080p, are really 1080p because there's no hardware scaler to make it happen. Although some games may use the cell to render in 1080i (when 720p isn't available), but that's not really the same thing, I think.

What is that? I didn't realize they had anything. That's cool! I'm not going to complain if they can get these discs a bit more robust.
I did a presentation on blu-ray vs. HD-DVD back in 2005, back when many never heard of the formats. At the time, blu-ray could easily be scratched; however, TDK was developing a hard coat to make blu-ray discs more scratch resistant. Come to find out, my prediction about them making it came true:
Blu-ray discs are more resistant to damage caused by scratches and fingerprints than DVDs due to a TDK hard coat applied to the surface of the disc, according to proponents of the storage format.
http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/hddvd/0,2000063776,339273868,00.htm

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3 has never had a hardware resolution scaler. What happens is if a developer designs its game for 720p (which most all next gen games are designed for anyway), the PS3 will switch it to 720p. If a game goes up to 1080p, it will display in that resolution. On the 360, a game already has a native resolution (usually 720p) and the hardware scaler just renders the game in 1080p (It's technically not 1080p, just stretches the image to 1080p). In reality, the differences aren't that big unless a game was made for 1080p resolution. PSN games are easy to run in 1080p since they don't use much power (compared to retail games).

Some games (not Folklore I know for sure) are designed to render in 1080i if your TV does not support 720p. For those who have a TV that goes up to 1080p can uncheck the 720p resolution, and it will render in 1080p (Uncharted does this).

Personally, I've grown to like it since my TV can support any resolution, and I mostly want to play my games in the resolution they suit best (well, with my old TV that went up to 720p/1080i, it was definitely important because some games looked better in 1080i while some looked better in 720p, and I didn't manually have to switch).[/quote]
Excellent and thanks for the help. I wasn't sure about the way the 360 handles 1080p so seems like there is not really a difference. My TV supports all resolutions up to 1080p and Uncharted definitely looks fantastic even at 720p. If things really aren't being truly pushed out at 1080p yet... guess that just means there are even greater things to come in the future.

Now if they would just hurry up with White Knight Story.....

[quote name='AdvOfJet']
Now if they would just hurry up with White Knight Story.....[/QUOTE]It was suppose to be out in early January for Japan, but nothing has been said. I'm going to bet they'll get it before Summer at least, and we'll get it my Christmas 08 (J-RPGs take a while to translate). I'll keep a close watch and keep you updated. :)

So.. let me get this straight, if I have a TV that only does 1080i (which I do) The PS3 will automatically downscale 720p game's down to 480p.. instead of upscaling to 1080i?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'd like to know.. as this is a major decision in my purchase.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']So.. let me get this straight, if I have a TV that only does 1080i (which I do) The PS3 will automatically downscale 720p game's down to 480p.. instead of upscaling to 1080i?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'd like to know.. as this is a major decision in my purchase.[/QUOTE]Unfortunately yes, because the PS3 does not have a hardware scaler chip (partially because Sony mostly looked at the PS3 to use on more of the newer HDTVs, that already have scalers and such. A previous post explains it). On PS3, it's up to the developer to make a 720p game render in 1080i (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc. do it). Most PS3 games do now, but there still some that do not. It's mostly a big issue with launch games.

Some complain and want Sony to make a solution, unfortunately, the cell is already occupied for games, and they can't exactly make it do the scaling.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Unfortunately yes, because the PS3 does not have a hardware scaler chip (partially because Sony mostly looked at the PS3 to use on more of the newer HDTVs, that already have scalers and such. A previous post explains it). On PS3, it's up to the developer to make a 720p game render in 1080i (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc. do it). Most PS3 games do now, but there still some that do not. It's mostly a big issue with launch games.

Some complain and want Sony to make a solution, unfortunately, the cell is already occupied for games, and they can't exactly make it do the scaling.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the reply. As long as the newer games, specifically the one's you metioned, upconvert to 1080i.. I'm sold. Been a big Ratchet & Clank fan since the original.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Hey, thanks for the reply. As long as the newer games, specifically the one's you metioned, upconvert to 1080i.. I'm sold. Been a big Ratchet & Clank fan since the original.[/QUOTE]Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted scale in 1080i, or so I heard. I remember hearing Insomniac and Naughty Dog confirming it. I could check my PS3 also to confirm it (to be on the safe side), if you would like.

I know Folklore does not do 1080i, despite being new (Resistance and MotorStorm do not). I dunno, I'd have to find a list somewhere.

What are some games you may want....and I'll look into it?

Reck_Havoc, the Playstation 3 doesn't actually scale anything at all. It's like a PC (or every other console except the 360) where developers have to specifically code for a given resolution, or the resolution isn't supported. The 360 has a separate chip that takes the GPU's output (always 720p or below) and coverts it to whatever you select in the system's blade, which is why every game "supports" 1080i or 1080p, or 480p or whatever. That chip is just taking the output and scaling it to something else, the same as if your TV has a good chip doing the same thing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, I was pretty much mentioning that a game could even be 480p, but the hardware scaler will display it in 1080p because that's what it's made to do. Although it may seem like a lot of games are at 1080p, the truth of the matter is that many may might not be in the first place (only rendered in 1080p). Many PS3 games which display in 1080p, are really 1080p because there's no hardware scaler to make it happen. Although some games may use the cell to render in 1080i (when 720p isn't available), but that's not really the same thing, I think.[/quote]

As far as I'm aware NO 360 games render at higher than 720p. The system has less fill rate than the PS3 (not that the PS3 should be doing 1080p either), and effectively has less memory bandwidth the higher the resolution used. Even at 720p with AA on the entire frame doesn't fit in its 10MB cache. The more that spills out of that, the more you have to use the main RAM's bandwidth. So if you tried doing 1080p, you'd have almost the entire frame being done in main RAM, and at that point the PS3 has over double the total memory bandwidth, more or less (since it has separate video and main RAM). I'm probably not explaining this real well, but the point is the Playstation 3 isn't as affected by higher resolutions as the 360-it's performance dropoff would be more consistent. Also, POSSIBLY the PS3 has double the ROPS, though I've heard some sources say it only has 8, the same as the 360 (the PC equivalent part has 16 though, which would give the system double the fill rate, which of course would make it much easier for it to do higher resolutions since 1080p is over double the pixels of 720p).

I did a presentation on blu-ray vs. HD-DVD back in 2005, back when many never heard of the formats. At the time, blu-ray could easily be scratched; however, TDK was developing a hard coat to make blu-ray discs more scratch resistant. Come to find out, my prediction about them making it came true:

That's fantastic! The last I had heard (I'm sure well prior to either's launch), Blu Ray could be easily scratched. I'm really glad to hear it turned out more reliable than DVD rather than less.

Did a search here but I found nothing. Can someone tell me how to set up a Japanese account? I want to try out the PixelJunk Monsters demo. Do I need a Japanese email address?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Did a search here but I found nothing. Can someone tell me how to set up a Japanese account? I want to try out the PixelJunk Monsters demo. Do I need a Japanese email address?[/QUOTE]First off, you do not need a Japanese email address, just another email (If you don't have a second, create another at hotmail, yahoo, etc.).

I just entered into Google: creating Japan PSN account

and got the result:
http://blogs.ign.com/xheavenxsentx/2006/12/09/39684/

As a hint, after you try out the PixelJunk Monsters demo, delete the demo from your console AND the saved data. I say this because someone at GAF had purchasing issues (can't remember if it was purchasing or playing) despite deleting the demo (It also autosaves data, so I figured to delete it and had zero issues).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']First off, you do not need a Japanese email address, just another email (If you don't have a second, create another at hotmail, yahoo, etc.).

I just entered into Google: creating Japan PSN account

and got the result:
http://blogs.ign.com/xheavenxsentx/2006/12/09/39684/

As a hint, after you try out the PixelJunk Monsters demo, delete the demo from your console AND the saved data. I say this because someone at GAF had purchasing issues (can't remember if it was purchasing or playing) despite deleting the demo (It also autosaves data, so I figured to delete it and had zero issues).[/quote]

Thanks TMK.

I'm picking up a new PS3 either tomorrow or Monday, not waiting for a price drop, if it was going to happen it would be in the ads, and I'm either getting either the 60 gb or the 80 gb, I'm not sure, BC is a big issue since I want to catch up on a lot of the RPGs I missed last gen. So I'm asking is the 80 gb BC up to snuff or am I going to be facing a lot of games that have problems? Motorstorm doesn't interest but I could throw it on Goozex for something I want.

Hey, one other big question if you guy's don't mind. I'll be getting an HDMI cable for the PS3, but I do not have a HDMI enable receiver.. it only does optical/coax. So I'd like to know if I'd be able to use the HDMI cable for video, and the optical cable for audio if this is possible.

bread's done
Back