PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

Ok, so my PS3 seems to be functioning fine, from a hardware standpoint, as it turns on normally, the fans start up, the HDD light blinks a bunch, the green light comes on and stays on, etc. But it is a having a ton of problems that I can't figure out:

--No video
--No audio
--Controllers not responding (they won't turn the system on, even when connected via USB)
--Won't turn off right (it beeps fast 3 times when i touch the power button, but doesn't shut off. i have to hold the power button for like 5 seconds for it to shut off)

I've already tried HDMI, Component, and AV cables. I've tried HD and SD tv's. I've tried video reset and hardware reset. Any ideas? The system has been working fine for a year, with no problems, and then BAM...it stops working today!

Please help!

Thanks

[quote name='yukine']Looks like enough space to me, I'd probably bring it more forward though since you have the room and I believe most of the heat exhaust is from the back fan.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I think it is enough room as well, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Unfortunately, that is really the only spot I have for it.

Well I have some PS3 issues. My HDD says the file system is corrupt and then it fixes it supposedly but when I do almost anything it freezes, and half the times I turn it on my memory is gone and other times its there. I emailed Sony and theyre sending me a coffin since its under warranty. Im assuming the HDD is corrupt but I cant reformat it because my PS3 freezes at system settings. Anyone know a way I could fix it without sending it in to Sony?

I recently purchased a Sony HDMI cable for 69.99. It was the bundle pack that came with a USB cable. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=454436201&pf_rd_i=507846

My question is, "Did I get ripped off?" I probably falsely believed it was the cable I needed for my PS3. It was advertised on the box that it was specifically made for the PS3 in mind. Also, the cable was a Sony brand. I am a casual gamer (I play about once every two weeks), and therefore I am not that technologically literate. All I wanted was an HDMI cable for my PS3 that supported 1080p output for my HDTV.

Unfortunately, you did get ripped off. For the most part HDMI cables are all the same.
There is no difference between expensive "name brand" cables like Monster or Sony and generic ones that you can get for a few dollars at plenty of websites. If you can get a refund, you should.

Then purchase some cheap-o cables at a place like MonoPrice or Meritline.

You didn't get ripped off, you got raped. That's more than the price of a game for some damn cables! It's ridiculous how companies try to take advantage of people with cables. Cables are cables. I have like tons of optical, component, HDMI, USB, DIV/VGA cables and never paid more than $5 for one. And they all work perfectly.

Return them if you can.

I love going into Best Buy and seeing the $89.99 6 foot HDMI "gold" cables and listening to the sales guys talking shop about them to customers. I'm not all that tech savvy, but I do know that the quality difference seen between a pair of $5.99 and $89.99 cables is non-existent.

OK, thanks to everyone who replied. You were very helpful.

I have one last thing to ask, and Google isn't really helping. Why are some of these cables made out of GOLD?

[quote name='Argenin']OK, thanks to everyone who replied. You were very helpful.

I have one last thing to ask, and Google isn't really helping. Why are some of these cables made out of GOLD?[/quote]

prevents corrosion

[quote name='Argenin']OK, thanks to everyone who replied. You were very helpful.

I have one last thing to ask, and Google isn't really helping. Why are some of these cables made out of GOLD?[/QUOTE]

IIRC, on HDMI cables the only thing that is "gold" are the connector prongs since there aren't really metal wires inside, which like another user said, is to "prevent" corrosion. Basically just a way to get more money for nothing.

The only thing that matters for HDMI chords are its version, I believe the most recent ones should be 1.3 certified. Basically the higher the version, the more compatible the cable is to other apps.

Also since HDMI sends digital signals, the quality of the cable doesnt mean jack, so the gold plated stuff is bs like the others have said.

But yea, you bent over hard on that one, monoprice has 1.3 cables for around $6 and amazon has some for dirt cheap too.

Certain Youtube videos will no longer play in the PS3 web browser. It's weird. Can you guys check these videos out from your PS3 browser? Please click on the URL links and view them on the normal Youtube page. They may work in the embedded forum thing here.

These two both don't work. (Warning: NWSish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgXvR97Wk6g (Dick In a Box)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p713bNaO4A (Angry Video Game Nerd: Nightmare on Elm Street)

The video player just remains black while the audio plays in the background. Is this happening to anybody else? Youtube ran much more reliably before the latest firmware update despite being a little out of sync. I'm running 480i with component cables in full screen mode.

And an aside, Google Video used to work on my PS3, but even before the latest update, it would only play sound. Not in the same way that Youtube is screwing up. No video player shows up at all. It's playing, but it's inaccessible. This is probably Google's fault, though. They probably did something that made their video player incompatible with the PS3 browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has happened to me too! I was watching Tina Turner's 'Private Dancer' video (don't ask!) and I heard the audio, but the picture stayed black. I don't know why...

Good, so it's not just me. Perhaps another firmware update is in the works.

At first I thought it was the annotations in certain videos, but at least the AVGN video I posted up there is very old and does not have annotations. And it still doesn't work. Weird.

This one plays most PS2 games:

mgs4ps3bundleoy6.jpg

This one doesn't:

images

[quote name='eau']This one plays most PS2 games:

mgs4ps3bundleoy6.jpg

This one doesn't:

images
[/quote]

Right on Eau. I got the one in the white box. The biggest disappointment for me was that GT4 wasn't playable on it. This works with some PS2 games is BS.

[quote name='soccerstud652']PS3 Ventilation Question:

I just bought a new PS3 (partially in anticipation for Little Big Planet, which was delayed...) and I want to know if my bedroom home theatre unit gives my PS3 proper ventilation.

I bought this player primarily for Blu-Ray on my bedroom tv. I do not know if there are heating / overheating issues with the PS3 (like the 360) so any advice is appreciated.

Picture:

EbaySept08002.jpg
[/quote]

Wait. What recent PS3 model had 4 USB ports on the front? Not the 40gb models, I know that much.

Oh and I apparently have an issue with my PS3's WiFi now. I popped in Little Big Planet and it gave me that 'you have to update' bullshit, then it started downloading.

It got to about 93% and then gave me an 8001000A error, which is the first time I have seen that error on my PS3. And now the WiFi light won't come on for anything.

I've tried resetting my modem and router and even tried shutting down and restarting the PS3. Still nothing.

We had a bunch of quick power outages yesterday during a rainstorm. My PS3 was in standby mode during those, so it probably went off and back on two or three times during that time.

I may call Sony in a little while and explain what happened, see if they can't help me figure this out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wait. What recent PS3 model had 4 USB ports on the front? Not the 40gb models, I know that much.[/quote]

Everything but the new stripped down models (ie the $400 models, 40 and now 80GB).

Also, I don't know who's picture that was, but personally I wouldn't enclose either the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 that much. I mean with the front open maybe it's not terrible, but I wouldn't risk it.

For whatever reason, it seems like my PS3 throws out heat better than my Falcon 360 (like it's fans actually move more heat out, or something), but it would be blowing hot air right against that wood, and I'm sure the temperature in there would be hotter than the room temp.

Oh and I apparently have an issue with my PS3's WiFi now. I popped in Little Big Planet and it gave me that 'you have to update' bullshit, then it started downloading.

It got to about 93% and then gave me an 8001000A error, which is the first time I have seen that error on my PS3. And now the WiFi light won't come on for anything.

Crud, hope you get that figured out :(

[quote name='Wolfpup']Everything but the new stripped down models (ie the $400 models, 40 and now 80GB).

Also, I don't know who's picture that was, but personally I wouldn't enclose either the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 that much. I mean with the front open maybe it's not terrible, but I wouldn't risk it.[/quote]

Even with my PS3 on a table out in the open air, I noticed in the middle of summer that it would keep my room warmer than the rest of the house. I have a sneaking suspicion that my PS3 may have been a 'rented' one someone bought, used while theirs was being repaired and then returned 2-3 weeks later. Although, the system looked pristine/mint when I got it out of the box. But people who do crap like that are normally very careful from what I've seen, so they could've repacked everything like it came from the factory.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Crud, hope you get that figured out :([/quote]

I hope so too, since I just bought a headset to use online against a few people I play with, plus I've heard that many times Sony will send back a USED(but supposedly repaired system) if they have to have you send it in.

If my fuckin' console is breaking down less than a year in, they'll get all sorts of hell from me and they'd better send me a new one or my own PS3 back.

But like I said, after hearing about all of the people who 'rented' 360's while theirs were being repaired, I have a feeling mine was originally bought, used and returned.

From the EU PS3 boards on Sony's site, I found out that the 8001000A error is supposedly a BlueTooth problem, though it appears to be a different kind of connection problem on the PS3's here in the US since aside from the controllers I don't own any BT items.

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']Right on Eau. I got the one in the white box. The biggest disappointment for me was that GT4 wasn't playable on it. This works with some PS2 games is BS.[/quote]
Exactly why I bought a 60GB off ebay for $390 a few weeks ago.

I don't know if I killed the cable, or what happened. I recently ordered and received today the Onkyo HT-S5100 Home Theater System. The system only allows for HDMI pass through, which is fine with me. Anyway, when I try to hook up my PS3 through the receiver all I get is picture and no sound. The picture is coming from the HDMI, and the sound should be comming from the component cable.

However, no matter where I plug it in at on the receiver, I get no sound what so ever. I've tried hooking it up directly to the tv and get nothing. After I did that, I did the hard reset or whatever on my PS3, and the I heard sound (but it was comming from the TV) via HDMI (which I have no idea how it was). The settings where still video of HDMI and sound over component. I had unhooked the component cable, so somehow I was getting sound over a passthrough hdmi.

Anyway, is the only way for me to get sound by optical cable through the receiver? or is something else wrong in the ps3? I wish I had some way to test each component.

Edit: I've noticed that when I plug in just the red audio cable, I get nothing, but now if I plug the white in, I get sound from some speakers

If it has an HDMI pass through then I believe that both the sound and video should go through just fine. And by the way, component cables aren't for sound, it's video only.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']If it has an HDMI pass through then I believe that both the sound and video should go through just fine. And by the way, component cables aren't for sound, it's video only.[/quote]

HDMI pass through means just video, and no audio tho, and what I ment by component cables, was I was using the audio cables that were attached to it (sorry, should have clarified)

How bizarre that it doesn't output the HDMI to the speakers. Anyway, do you have an optical cable you could hookup to get better sound? You can get one fairly cheap and it would sound better. If not, after looking at the manual, did you assign the HDMI input to say DVD (or whatever your preference is) and then connect your red/white to the DVD section?

If all else fails, I would say try the reset option in the back of the manual.

[quote name='Crichton']How bizarre that it doesn't output the HDMI to the speakers. Anyway, do you have an optical cable you could hookup to get better sound? You can get one fairly cheap and it would sound better. If not, after looking at the manual, did you assign the HDMI input to say DVD (or whatever your preference is) and then connect your red/white to the DVD section?

If all else fails, I would say try the reset option in the back of the manual.[/quote]

Yeah, I told the receiver that DVD was HDMI input 2, and connected the red and white to the DVD on the back of the receiver and no sound.

just tried the composite cable audio plugs and it did the same thing.

As someone who is about to be inducted into the Playstation 3 crowd I have a quick question. I might not be able to get to my PS3 for a few weeks but I'd like to try to reserve my handle while I'm waiting. Can I do this online or do I need to do it on the PS3 itself?

I'm trying to understand this linking FAQ as I think that may be related to what I want to do
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network/LinkFAQ
but I have no idea what I'm linking? Is it one id for everything or one id for web and one for the system and I have to link them?

Playstation ID is roughly equivalent to the XBL Gamertag: it's tied to an e-mail address, and you have an account with the PSN Store with that information. You can have multiple Playstation ID's on one PS3.

'Linking' as described in the FAQ is tying the gamer's PlayStation Underground (PSU) account with your PlayStation ID. PSU pre-dates the PS3, and allows the user to have access to promotions which are not otherwise generally available (e.g. the Resistance 2 Beta going on right now; last holiday season, a PSU mailing included a $10 coupon for video games at BB).

The reasons to do it (from the FAQ):
* Identify yourself on the Web using your PLAYSTATION®Network portable ID
* Display your PLAYSTATION®Network portable ID on social networking sites
* Meet other PLAYSTATION®Network members
* See who's who on the PlayStation message boards Keep tabs on your PLAYSTATION®Network friends on the Web with the Friend List

As to your other question, the link 'register your online ID' in the FAQ should allow you to reserve your handle.

thanks that should do the trick. I scanned that FAQ and I'm almost sure i didn't see any mention of PSU. Oh well. got what I needed.

Let me first mention that I checked the FAQ and didnt find anything...if i missed it somewhere, i apologize.

New ps3 owner here (in about a month). Quick question:

1. I have an older hdtv with DVI input (no hdmi); does the ps3 work with a hdmi to dvi cable?

Peace.

bread's done
Back