PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='The 7th Number']ahh so i cant do that from within the browser, thanks![/QUOTE]

Sorry, it's actually named Delete Searches or something like that, not history or cache. If you look at one of the expandable choices on the menu when in the browser it will show it.

Quick question. I know that DLC will not run off of an external drive. However, will DLC work if I copy it from my PS3 to an external drive and then copy it back to my PS3 when I want to use it?

For small DLC this isn't an issue as I can redownload it when necessary. However, for multi GB files like the Rock Band and Guitar Hero song import data it is a pain in the ass. It is one thing to get in the mood for Rock Band and wait 5-10 minutes or so for the music to all transfer in from an external drive. It is quite another to wait for a redownload given how slow downloads go on the PS3.

So over the past 8-12 months my 60GB launch model has been progressively louder and heats up my room like no other. Should I be worried?

I don't want to trade it into GS for that trade in deal because it has backwards compatibility and the memory card reader.

I just got a YLOD and im thinking about sending it back to Sony to get it fixed. What I'm wondering is if Sony will send be back the same ps3. I had a 500 gb hard drive in it with a lot of stuff on it and would like to recover some of the stuff. I know the hard drive is tied to the system so I wouldn't just be able to put it into a new ps3 so I would need the same ps3 to get access to the hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just noticed there's white flickering when I have my PS3 on with HDMI. I had left it on in my basement, got distracted and did something. When I came back, it was really bad. Took out the the HDMI and put it back in, it was a little better but still noticeable. Restarted now and it's still noticeable.

Any suggestions on what to do? I tried both my HDMI cables and it's the same.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Does it do it on component? Do you have an Xbox to try on HDMI, or a different TV to try it on?[/QUOTE]

It's fine on component. My 360 doesn't have HDMI. I have another TV I could try.

UPDATE: Double checked component and it's still fine.

I changed my output settings to only 420p and 720p and there was no flickering. I added 1080i and there was no flickering. Then added 1080p and the flickering was back.

I played around with the other options (except Deep Color Output) and it went away. I walked away for a bit (since it happened when I left the console alone) and it was flickering bad again. I changed the options again but noting happened. I switched the Deep Color Output to off and it went away. I'm going to leave it alone for awhile and see if it comes back. If not, I think turning Deep Color Output off will fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying a different TV now (32" Sony Bravia. The other was 47" Bravia). I'm going to leave it for awhile and see if the flickering shows up. If not, then the outputs aren't clean on the TV.

The cable says 1.3 on it. I got it off Meritline when they had one of their 3 cable deals.

UPDATE 1: 7 minutes later, no white flickering has shown up on the screen. So it's something with my 47" when I have Deep Color Output on Autmoatic.

UPDATE 2
: So, here's what I did today from the beginning (I let the PS3 on for 7-10 minutes since the white flickering started when I left it on for awhile).

On 47" Sony Bravia TV
PS3 displaying in 1080p, HDMI 2 port, Deep Color Output (DCO) on automatic, cheap HDMI cable=white flickering
PS3 displaying in 1080p, Component 2 port, DCO ??? (forget if this was on or off since I think it only applies to HDMI), 3-in-1 component cable=no flickering
PS3 displaying in 720p, HDMI 2 port, DCO Automatic, cheap HDMI=no flickering
PS3 displaying in 1080i, HDMI 2 port, DCO Automatic, cheap HDMI=no flickering
PS3 displaying in 1080p, HDMI 2 port, DCO off, cheap HDMI=no flickering

On 32" Sony Bravia TV
PS3 displaying in 1080p, HDMI 2 port, (DCO) Automatic, cheap HDMI cable=no flickering
PS3 displaying in 720p, HDMI 2 port, DCO Automatic, cheap HDMI=no flickering
PS3 displaying in 1080i, HDMI 2 port, DCO Automatic, cheap HDMI=no flickering

On 47" TV (same one)
PS3 displaying in 1080p, HDMI 1 port, (DCO) on automatic, IXOS HDMI cable =no flickering (This cable connects my sound system to TV. The DVR and DVD player connect into my sound system)
PS3 displaying in 1080p, HDMI 3 port, (DCO) on automatic, cheap HDMI cable=no flickering

And finally, I tried the combination that was giving me a problem before:
PS3 displaying in 1080p, HDMI 2 port, Deep Color Output (DCO) on automatic, cheap HDMI cable

and there was NO white flickering.

So it seems that there was a problem with the 47 incher's HDMI 2 output. And whatever was wrong with it, turning the DCO off fixed it. But for now, there's no more white flickering.

UPDATE 3
: I turned my PS3 on with the problem settings (PS3 displaying in 1080p, HDMI 2 port, Deep Color Output (DCO) on automatic, cheap HDMI cable) looking at my trophy list and the white flickering came back. I put it in HDMI 3 and there was none. Put it back in HDMI 2 and it showed up. I sprayed some canned air into the HDMI 2 port. It was flickering but then went away. Though it's since come back.

Whatever the problem, it's something with the HDMI 2 port on my TV. We've had it awhile so I don't know if it's under warranty anymore.

Does anyone know if the PS3 Data Transfer Utility transfers every little thing (saves, PSN accounts, user profiles, game data, etc.)?

First I couldn't get the ethernet cable to work and then there seems to be corrupted data somewhere on my old PS3 that I can't clear even with the safe mode option.

[quote name='Hostile']Does anyone know if the PS3 Data Transfer Utility transfers every little thing (saves, PSN accounts, user profiles, game data, etc.)?
.[/QUOTE]

Full system backup will be like how you always see it turning it on, everything will be there how it was

So I just got the YLOD, right after buying PS+ heh, same thing happened to my 360 (RROD) after I bought Live, conspiracies. My Modern Warfare 2 is inside it too, was thinking about sending it to Sony but going to do a 3rd party instead since my saves are not backed up :drool:

Quick question. If I get a new ps3 (we'll say a 60GB) and I want to keep my 250GB, is there any way to put the 250G in the fat, and the 60G in the slim, without too much hassle? So let's say I just take the hard drives out and switch them, will everything be fine? Is it possible? What exactly do I have to do to make everything work out?

It's late and I can't search on an iPhone 1, it's too painful.

I traded in my 60gb fat for a 120gb slim, and nothing transferred. I formatted my 60gb HDD when trading in and deactivated my system.

But with the new PS3, I am unable to re-download Flow (from the valentines day free sale), when I go to the PSN store it asks for $7.99 to purchase. But I've already bought it when it was free.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='jgon85']It's late and I can't search on an iPhone 1, it's too painful.

I traded in my 60gb fat for a 120gb slim, and nothing transferred. I formatted my 60gb HDD when trading in and deactivated my system.

But with the new PS3, I am unable to re-download Flow (from the valentines day free sale), when I go to the PSN store it asks for $7.99 to purchase. But I've already bought it when it was free.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I got flow from the same promotion I think. It's not in my download queue, so I can't redownload it, or share it with other people on my account.

Has anyone heard about any differences between the current slim PS3 models of CECH-21xxA / CECH-21xxB and the "new" PS3 slim models of CECH-25xxA / CECH-25xxB, besides hard drive sizes?

From everything I've seen, it appears to be the same internals between the two model lines save drive sizes.

Does anyone else have any insights into the two model lines?

[quote name='jgon85']It's late and I can't search on an iPhone 1, it's too painful.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
It was a special free version that was probably removed completely from the store once the promotion was over, like the free version of Rag Doll Kung Fu.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It was a special free version that was probably removed completely from the store once the promotion was over, like the free version of Rag Doll Kung Fu.[/QUOTE]

rag doll kungfu is still dlable though i had to redl everything yesterday and was able to get it frommy dl section.

[quote name='lokizz']rag doll kungfu is still dlable though i had to redl everything yesterday and was able to get it frommy dl section.[/QUOTE]
He's talking about just redownloading it directly from the store by going to its page, which won't show the red bag that says that you own it.

The download list is the only place it could still be, though I already had flow before that, so I can't check if it's still there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He's talking about just redownloading it directly from the store by going to its page, which won't show the red bag that says that you own it.

The download list is the only place it could still be, though I already had flow before that, so I can't check if it's still there.[/QUOTE]

oh ok. sony ought to make it so you can delete those things from yor dl spot that way you can clear out the demos and keep the dlc and games in there.

[quote name='shrike4242']Has anyone heard about any differences between the current slim PS3 models of CECH-21xxA / CECH-21xxB and the "new" PS3 slim models of CECH-25xxA / CECH-25xxB, besides hard drive sizes?

From everything I've seen, it appears to be the same internals between the two model lines save drive sizes.

Does anyone else have any insights into the two model lines?[/QUOTE]

All I've read is extremely small amount of less energy used during various functions.

I just got the flashing red light yesterday. It's a 60gb so I don't want to give it up but $150 is steep (or is it $180 now?). I've already gotten it repaired once. I know that if I open it up they won't touch it.
Any suggestions on a decent fix that won't destroy my wallet?

I'm having a problem with my PS3 and Assassin's Creed 2. I'm in Venice (just finished Sequence 9). I go to a fast travel place to go to the Villa. I go to the white room between traveling and after a few seconds, the saving icon goes away and I'm just running around the room. When I hold down the Home button, the screen goes black and nothing else comes up, so I can't quit the game, I have to turn the PS3 off then on.

I'm thinking the first thing someone would suggest is to delete the game data (if AC2 even installs... if it doesn't, you might try it anyways, since I'm sure it's been patched and those install on the hard drive) the try again. Also, check the disc to make sure there's no dirt/dust/fingerprints/etc.
If it does install and you try that and it still messes up, I would suggest re-deleting the game data, then try downloading some demos then try again. The purpose of that is it'll probably offset the physical spot on the hard drive where AC2 installs itself, in case there's some issue with your hard drive.

I did some missions and was able to fast travel from a different fast travel place to a different location. I tried going to the villa from the station I arrived and I still have these issues. So there's something with fast traveling to the villa.

I need some help with this- I have the original GTA IV disc, and I downloaded both Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony a while ago from the PSN store, didn't get to try them until now. They both had icons on the game menu, I pressed on their icons and they both installed one after the other (took a few minutes), and then the icons disappeared. The problem is I can't find how to play either add-on game! There are no icons for them that I can see anywhere, they're not accessible from GTA IV main game when I choose "Load Game", it doesn't come as an option when I start "New Game" (it just automatically loads the first mission of the original game called The Cousins Bellic). So how in the hell am I supposed to access the add-on missions? I haven't completed the main game yet, could that be it, that they only allow you to access after you complete all the Nico stuff?

Please help! I have everything including the original game disc on my PS3. They're all US items, so I know it's not a compatibility problem. And my PS3 is working fine otherwise. I paid $40 for these add-ons and I can't even play them. So damn frustrated right now.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

Anyone know if there's a difference between the PS3 eye that comes with Eye of Judgment as opposed to the one that's bundled with the new PS3 Move package?

So I was going to buy the Liars and Cheats pack and play some RDR since I haven't played in a month. I go to add funds to my wallet and the PS Store is saying that my card is invalid. I checked the info I put and it was all correct. I tried around 5 more times, changing something everytime and it never worked. It's worked before. Anyone know what the problem is?

I've had an issue with my PS3 since I got it but don't want to pay Sony to fix it. I got a used 60b from Gamestop (after they stopped making them), it works fine. It just gives this loud high pitched whine noise when it is working hard (playing a game, movie, or doing a lot of internet browsing).

The system doesn't behave odd, has never frozen no me in the last 2 years, etc. just that noise. I didn't bring it back to Gamestop because it was the only 60gb within 100 miles. Is there a way to fix this or do I either pay Sony $150 to solve or wait until it dies and pay Sony $150 to solve?

[quote name='CENNY']I need some help with this- I have the original GTA IV disc, and I downloaded both Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony a while ago from the PSN store, didn't get to try them until now. They both had icons on the game menu, I pressed on their icons and they both installed one after the other (took a few minutes), and then the icons disappeared. The problem is I can't find how to play either add-on game! There are no icons for them that I can see anywhere, they're not accessible from GTA IV main game when I choose "Load Game", it doesn't come as an option when I start "New Game" (it just automatically loads the first mission of the original game called The Cousins Bellic). So how in the hell am I supposed to access the add-on missions? I haven't completed the main game yet, could that be it, that they only allow you to access after you complete all the Nico stuff?

Please help! I have everything including the original game disc on my PS3. They're all US items, so I know it's not a compatibility problem. And my PS3 is working fine otherwise. I paid $40 for these add-ons and I can't even play them. So damn frustrated right now.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]
if i remember correctly in the pause menu i went to new game and selected witch add on to play

Thanks for the reply. I actually fixed the problem after contacting PSN customer service. I'll post this in case it helps someone else with similar problem- I had to delete the game utility data, then reinstall the game, get the latest game update, and then redownload the add-on episodes. It works now!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I've had an issue with my PS3 since I got it but don't want to pay Sony to fix it. I got a used 60b from Gamestop (after they stopped making them), it works fine. It just gives this loud high pitched whine noise when it is working hard (playing a game, movie, or doing a lot of internet browsing).

The system doesn't behave odd, has never frozen no me in the last 2 years, etc. just that noise. I didn't bring it back to Gamestop because it was the only 60gb within 100 miles. Is there a way to fix this or do I either pay Sony $150 to solve or wait until it dies and pay Sony $150 to solve?[/QUOTE]

Is it the fan making the noise?

[quote name='madbst']So I was going to buy the Liars and Cheats pack and play some RDR since I haven't played in a month. I go to add funds to my wallet and the PS Store is saying that my card is invalid. I checked the info I put and it was all correct. I tried around 5 more times, changing something everytime and it never worked. It's worked before. Anyone know what the problem is?[/QUOTE]

Are you using a CC or a PS card?

Has anybody else, that has never had a problem with PSN, been getting kicked off of PSN recently? I noticed it started last week or so while I was playing Demon's Souls, I'd get a pop up that an unknown error occurred (it flashed so fast I couldn't see the error code) and it booted me out of the game.

I changed my password, and it stopped happening for about a week or so, then it happened again this week. I finished Demon's Souls and started Castlevania: LoS and it happened last night again.

It's so strange because I have never ever had a problem with PSN or getting dropped off the network.

Has anybody else had this issue (asking people who have also never had an issue that just started having them).

[quote name='J7.']Is it the fan making the noise?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is. It doesn't sound like a fan at all. It is just like this high pitched whine. No fluctuation like a fan would have from the spin.

[quote name='jh6269']Has anybody else, that has never had a problem with PSN, been getting kicked off of PSN recently? I noticed it started last week or so while I was playing Demon's Souls, I'd get a pop up that an unknown error occurred (it flashed so fast I couldn't see the error code) and it booted me out of the game.

I changed my password, and it stopped happening for about a week or so, then it happened again this week. I finished Demon's Souls and started Castlevania: LoS and it happened last night again.

It's so strange because I have never ever had a problem with PSN or getting dropped off the network.

Has anybody else had this issue (asking people who have also never had an issue that just started having them).[/QUOTE]

Do you have a wireless connection or wired? The only think I could suggest is that a bunch of family/friends have connection issues with wireless, which went away when they connected via Rj45.
Also you could try updating the wireless router software.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I don't think it is. It doesn't sound like a fan at all. It is just like this high pitched whine. No fluctuation like a fan would have from the spin.[/QUOTE]

Someone posted this:
I FIGURED IT OUT! it is coming from the ps3, arround where the hard drive is to be exact, it happens every time im playing poker in PS Home, it may just be home (because there are lots of reports of it happening in home), but i get it only when playing poker... Then, my sister told me to try removing the hard drive and put it back in. So i tried it, AND IT STOPED HAPPENING!!!!! its been over a month now and it still hasnt happened!!!! TRY IT!!!!!!!!! O_O
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...igh-pitched-whine-noise/td-p/28468818/page/22

Hmmm...I'm not relaly technically savy so not horribly confident pulling out my hard drive. Of course as my warrenty is well expired not like I would void anything by doing so.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Hmmm...I'm not relaly technically savy so not horribly confident pulling out my hard drive. Of course as my warrenty is well expired not like I would void anything by doing so.[/QUOTE]

Consult your PS3 user manual booklet as I believe that tells you what you need to do since it was designed to be replaced. Anyone here know how to remove the PS3 HDD without doing any damage to your files?

[quote name='J7.']Are you using a CC or a PS card?[/QUOTE]

CC. It's a debit card actually. But does that matter? I've used it before.

[quote name='J7.']Consult your PS3 user manual booklet as I believe that tells you what you need to do since it was designed to be replaced. Anyone here know how to remove the PS3 HDD without doing any damage to your files?[/QUOTE]

If the PS3 is off when you remove the HDD, you wont have any problems.

Also, removing the PS3 HDD does not void the warranty.

There should be a couple small screws that need to be removed for the HDD to slide out. I'm sure there are tons of youtube videos of it.

[quote name='madbst']CC. It's a debit card actually. But does that matter? I've used it before.[/QUOTE]

Here is a potential answer.

Due to recently, a large volume of counterfeit debit cards have been
created on several financial institutions and have been reported in some
countries overseas. At the recommendation of MasterCard®, [Bank] has
placed a block on its debit cards to prohibit their use anywhere outside
the United States as well as 9 States. The states are listed below.

U.S. States blocked: New York, Kansas, New Jersey, Massachusetts,
Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana (IN), IL Illinois, Georgia,
California, Ohio, Alabama and Kentucky.

We realize that this may cause you some inconvenience, and we would like
to offer some alternatives that may meet your needs:
• If you give us a specific time frame (from what date to what date) and
what country/counties or state you will be traveling to, then we can
un-restrict the debit card. But only for those specific dates and
country/counties and states you will be visiting.
• If you are purchasing items from specific country/countries or states,
then you can give us the specific amount and name of those
country/countries or states so that the transaction will go through.

[Bank] feels that this action is necessary to protect our members’
accounts. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused
you.

Others have posted here with the same problem and some of them have had solutions work for them that don't work for others. I checked out the 1st pg and last pg quickly.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/CREDIT-CARD-NOT-VALID-FIX/td-p/33577483

I would save yourself the hassle though and just pick up a PSN card.

If anyone has some wifi problems with their ps3 and ran into about 10 different error codes, i think i found a workaround. (i had DSN, failed to retrieve ip addy, cannot connect to psn, ps3 said connected- but nat type non existant, ps3 connected- but not able to download/upload)

(note i do not have access to the router here, and this works great if your ps3 is too far away from the router, had ~50 signal, pushing about 95 now)

virtual router for your pc, turns your pc into a wifi hotspot, connected my ps3 with no problems. Just a heads up to anyone out there banging their heads against the wall over this.

Note- i have a 2nd ps3 about 10 ft away works just fine no problem on the same wifi key (auto wifi setup) no clue why this one didn't work though.

feel free to repost in another category

Trying to diagnose a problem for an old high school friend via his post on Facebook.

Friend has an older, fat PS3. Non BC one I believe. He was playing last night and it shut itself off and flashed red. He unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned it on again and it auto shuts off after just a minute or two.

OoW obviously so is he screwed and needs to be a new one, or is it something simple like just needing a new hard drive or do the force eject procedure to get the fans to kick out some dust? Thanks in advance.

bread's done
Back