PS3 Slim Pre-Order $299.99 at Kmart.com - 8/24 Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

benartmao

CAGiversary!
UPDATE: Pre-order link is live!
:ps3: PS3 Slim Pre-order $299.99

I didnt believe it but kmart is a major chain and apparantly in the morning its going to be selling " new exciting ps3"

http://www.kmart.com/

its on the front page and at first i thought maybe just a new maybe 1tb ( lol ) ps3 but it does say rumors are true or something.... im going in the morning just to try and get one.

And an apparant PS3 price cut

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I have no problems with it, just think its an 'interesting' design choice. Maybe its got to do with cooling, because I notice the vents on the front are gone. Frankly I'm a little amazed they managed to slim it down that much in 3 years. I can only imagine the PSThree (I presume this isn't officially it, this generation is going to last a few years more).
[quote name='CaptainJoel']Do we know any of it's specs yet? Like if it's got wi-fi?[/QUOTE]
Its got everything the phat has. Except Linux installs. Though methinks thats not a hardware issue, more of a security/noonewasevenusingit aspect they can't be bothered to support.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Do we know any of it's specs yet? Like if it's got wi-fi?[/QUOTE]
As a post a couple pages back and the kotaku live blog, has the same specs and functionality, just 120GB drive and it's smaller.

The PS3 Phat does have a sexier design but a larger hard drive and a third less energy consumption is hard to argue with. Besides, it only looks significantly better when looking at the logo side.

dang I'm so glad I could use my 75 off code and my trade in credit.

Paid 72 out the door for ps3 slim

That Slim.. looks like a piece of shit. No offense, but I think my PS3 Phat (as I'm sure it's going to be lovingly named henceforth) is way nicer.

Sweet, now tomorrow I can buy a old ps3 from Walmart, play it for a week, return it and buy the Slim. Pretty sickkk.

So the 80s drop to $299... the same price as the Slim (which has a 120GB HD).

Um... odd? I don't see Sony selling a lot of 80s in the coming weeks.

[quote name='nsb']Nah, I have no problems with it, just think its an 'interesting' design choice. Maybe its got to do with cooling, because I notice the vents on the front are gone. Frankly I'm a little amazed they managed to slim it down that much in 3 years. I can only imagine the PSThree (I presume this isn't officially it, this generation is going to last a few years more).

Its got everything the phat has. Except Linux installs. Though methinks thats not a hardware issue, more of a security/noonewasevenusingit aspect they can't be bothered to support.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks, man!

[quote name='daminion']So the 80s drop to $299... the same price as the Slim (which has a 120GB HD).

Um... odd? I don't see Sony selling a lot of 80s in the coming weeks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but those people that aren't as informed as us in CAG won't know that and they are going to clear the 80GB out of stock to make room for the 120 GB slim so it will eventually be the 120 GB Slim and the 160GB phat left until they release new hardware.

The slim doesn't have that... majestic... and... sophisticated... look that the fat one has... Love my fat PS3. :D It was worth $400. Now no one has the "PS3 is too expensive" excuse to not buy one anymore. :p

hey guys, my best buy has the killzone 2 bundle ps3.

It is still $399.. I was thinking about buying it today, and returning / price matching the price drop tomorrow.... but does anyone thing that the bundles price drop as well??

[quote name='BGOd']The slim doesn't have that... majestic... and... sophisticated... look that the fat one has... Love my fat PS3. :D It was worth $400. Now no one has the "PS3 is too expensive" excuse to not buy one anymore. :p[/QUOTE]

Poor people still have that excuse...

[quote name='poker360']hey guys, my best buy has the killzone 2 bundle ps3.

It is still $399.. I was thinking about buying it today, and returning / price matching the price drop tomorrow.... but does anyone thing that the bundles price drop as well??[/QUOTE]

You can simply return it if they don't...

[quote name='FadeToOne']Poor people still have that excuse...

You can simply return it if they don't...[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty damn poor and I bought it last November.
Still paying for it, actually.

for some reason i always like my original ps3 standing on it's side in a vertical orientation. looks like the slim is designed to be always horizontal unless they come out with some sort of accessory stand for it.

[quote name='womfalcs7']I went ahead and pre-ordered so that I can assure myself one on the first day. Not paying tax or shipping on an expensive product is incentive alone to go with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I did as well, I paid tax, but I used my trade in credit and the $75 coupon for consoles... also a $90 credit from coinstar.

[quote name='bigbizzee']that thing is sweet looking...i still could see myself selling the 60gb and using my ps2 when bc is needed. It looks alot more like a piece of an entertainment system now, and less like a spaceship or whatever.[/quote]

fail

[quote name='TheToE']GS is selling the 80 for 299 right now. Is it bad that I like the 80gb better?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Buy what you want, it'll make you happier. ;)

[quote name='speedrunner17']I want a Ps3 slim.[/QUOTE]

Now that I've looked at the pictures it looks a little weird. I like the slim design, but if it were shiny black with a little more silver. The point is more people can buy the Ps3 now. So now people can buy a Ps3 and have their Ratchet and Clank too.:)

Sony redesigned the PS3 to cut costs and it clearly shows, the whole thing just looks a little on the cheap side. However at $299 it adds great value over the 360 Elite (I have one and it's built super cheap compared to the PS3 phat). This is great news for gamers, especially those that do not have a PS3 yet.

[quote name='BGOd']The slim doesn't have that... majestic... and... sophisticated... look that the fat one has... Love my fat PS3. :D It was worth $400. Now no one has the "PS3 is too expensive" excuse to not buy one anymore. :p[/QUOTE]

...eeehhhhhh...

You can get an Arcade for $199 and a Wii for $199 if you look around; it's still a valid excuse.

Had a litle bit to absorb this all. Had hoped they would make the slim bc. IMO, the current 80gb phat for $299 is an awesome price (especially given the slim has no OS capabilities). If I were in the market, I would buy a phat, replace the 80gb HD with a 320gb HD and call it a day. Let me know if I am missing anything.

LOL Amazon!

"As you may know, the PlayStation 3 Slim is in great demand, and there are shortages of this product across the U.S. In an effort to provide as many customers as possible with the opportunity to purchase PlayStation 3 Slim, we are limiting the total number of PlayStation 3 Slim units that can be purchased. As a result, each household may only purchase one PlayStation 3 Slim unit."

Shortages, eh? They must be right since I haven't seen any around! :D

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I cant wait to see how much a used 40 gig fatty will cost at GS, yeah im cheap.[/QUOTE]

When I checked a little while ago they were still expensive.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']Had a litle bit to absorb this all. Had hoped they would make the slim bc. IMO, the current 80gb phat for $299 is an awesome price (especially given the slim has no OS capabilities). If I were in the market, I would buy a phat, replace the 80gb HD with a 320gb HD and call it a day. Let me know if I am missing anything.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I see no reason to wait for the Slim. Its stipped down and in my opinion ugly and cheap looking. More importantly it still doesn't have BC. With stores selling the 80 GB at $300, many with games bundled I would get one of those if I was in the market. Thankfully I got the 80 gb BC MGS4 bundle last year. Still a damn good price and a much better deal than the 360 elite.

[quote name='lee7sauce']Sony redesigned the PS3 to cut costs and it clearly shows, the whole thing just looks a little on the cheap side. However at $299 it adds great value over the 360 Elite (I have one and it's built super cheap compared to the PS3 phat). This is great news for gamers, especially those that do not have a PS3 yet.[/QUOTE]

I just hope it only LOOKS cheap. I have been waiting to get a PS3, and this may be the right time, but I guess I'll wait for it to come out to make sure that this model doesn't fall apart or have lower quality components.

watch

SONY ALWAYS WINS!!

So, whats the deal with Amazon's warranty policies? If I get the Slim on Amazon to save on tax, will I be screwed if the system breaks later on? Do I have to pay for bad service plan like stores like Target try to sell you?

Can you upgrade the hard drive on the PS3 Slim? If not, I think the PS3 Phat would be a better value if you plan on upgrading the HDD.

[quote name='stryker']Can you upgrade the hard drive on the PS3 Slim? If not, I think the PS3 Phat would be a better value if you plan on upgrading the HDD.[/QUOTE]
that's a very good question... from the pictures i've seen so far, i dont notice any possible openning slots for a hard drive replacement. :eek:

:(

Underwhelming re-design. Sony needs to make a big splash, and this, while a nice price drop, is not a very sexy looking machine nor does it do anything really nice to spike their sales. Sure it's going to spur a few months of people finlly getting oof teh fence about a PS3 but it's still the most expensive system and lacks a high profile game needed to secure the masses.

Just my $0.02.

[quote name='killer9']it better be upgradeable thats the good part about the ps3[/QUOTE]
The hard drive slot is on the bottom of the console.

[quote name='fatez']that's a very good question... from the pictures i've seen so far, i dont notice any possible openning slots for a hard drive replacement. :eek:

:([/QUOTE]

Actually, the hard drive bay can be on the lower right side of the front view where it displays the type of formats the PS3 plays... so there is hope for modders out there... IN for 1 on Day 1! :applause:

3834387310_31da616aaf.jpg

^^ i doubt there is a slot there to replace the hd

3833594013_06f3ccc5b0.jpg

^^ some people are saying it's on the bottom right of this picture. i am not sure though, but lets hope the hdd is still replaceable.

Should I just buy one now? I want to eventually buy one... but I don't know if I should. I'm leaning towards the original PS3 design but I want to know what the specs of the new PS3 slim are before I dive in to buy the original.

Those of you who have a PS3 now what do you think of it?

Kingdom Hearts III better come out on PS3! I don't want to buy a PS3 and find out it doesn't come out til next generation(I know it's unconfirmed, but still)

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Should I just buy one now? I want to eventually buy one... but I don't know if I should. I'm leaning towards the original PS3 design but I want to know what the specs of the new PS3 slim are before I dive in to buy the original.

Those of you who have a PS3 now what do you think of it?

Kingdom Hearts III better come out on PS3! I don't want to buy a PS3 and find out it doesn't come out til next generation(I know it's unconfirmed, but still)[/QUOTE]
http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/ps3-slim-sized-up-smaller-deeper-no-linux-or-ps2-compatibilit/

here is a comparison chart that might help you decide.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Underwhelming re-design. Sony needs to make a big splash, and this, while a nice price drop, is not a very sexy looking machine nor does it do anything really nice to spike their sales. Sure it's going to spur a few months of people finlly getting oof teh fence about a PS3 but it's still the most expensive system and lacks a high profile game needed to secure the masses.

Just my $0.02.[/QUOTE]

1) agree about the redesign, doesnt do too much, but it does lower the cost cause they use less material. but yeah redesign is bleh

2) "nor does it do anything really nice to spike their sales"
how? its the same price as the 360 now, instead of a $100 difference. i dont see how it DOESNT make a difference, everyone and their mom was bitchin about how the ps3 was so expensive, now theres no difference

3) "lacks a high profile game needed to secure the masses"
uhh doesnt each system only have like one or two triple A titles?

360 - Gears of war, Halo

ps3 - MGS4, Killzone 2?

both have Modern warfare 2, Mg Rising,

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Should I just buy one now? I want to eventually buy one... but I don't know if I should. I'm leaning towards the original PS3 design but I want to know what the specs of the new PS3 slim are before I dive in to buy the original.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat! I always said if they drop to 300.00 im in. Things I wonder about.

Build quality over the original.
Blu-ray drive. Is is as good? I have been hearing its a cheaper drive.
Noise? Is the slim more quiet? Louder?

I plan on upgrading the HDD anyways so space isnt that big of a deal.

I like the design of the fatty better. I am seriously thinking of jumping on the 80GB at this point. Only thing really holding me back is my last question...

Will there be any promotions to get rid of current 80GB stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back