PS3 Slim Pre-Order $299.99 at Kmart.com - 8/24 Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

benartmao

CAGiversary!
UPDATE: Pre-order link is live!
:ps3: PS3 Slim Pre-order $299.99

I didnt believe it but kmart is a major chain and apparantly in the morning its going to be selling " new exciting ps3"

http://www.kmart.com/

its on the front page and at first i thought maybe just a new maybe 1tb ( lol ) ps3 but it does say rumors are true or something.... im going in the morning just to try and get one.

And an apparant PS3 price cut

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigBizzee']People that see it in stores for $299 and don't know the slim is on the way ;)[/QUOTE]
Man, will those people feel stupid in a couple of weeks.

No doubt. I foresee plenty of Soccer moms in Walmart snatching up fat PS3's....sad.

When will the PSN be back up? I'm curious to see if a new firmware is available - or if there is mention of BC somewhere on the interwebz

pretty awesome. I'll pick one up.

I'm confused on what Sony is doing with the Phat. Dropping the price to $299 tomorrow, why would anyone pick it up? I'd understand if it was $199. It would be flying off the shelves.

Nice. I want to see some decent pictures of it, but so far great price, fully-featured, big hard drive, and 36% lighter? Full of win.
[quote name='bkforyou']pretty awesome. I'll pick one up.

I'm confused on what Sony is doing with the Phat. Dropping the price to $299 tomorrow, why would anyone pick it up? I'd understand if it was $199. It would be flying off the shelves.[/QUOTE]
Much like the 40GB PS3s (and 20gb x360s/cores), retailers will eventually clear out the stock below retail.

I wonder how many threads will be created in the deals forum over the next couple days talking about the PS3 price drop. The flaming will be vicious, and entertaining.

[quote name='jp0213']I wonder how many threads will be created in the deals forum over the next couple days talking about the PS3 price drop. The flaming will be vicious, and entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. Gotta start preparing my flaming shield and speeches. :cool:

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']So the slim will be 299.99 the first week of September and the fat will be 299 starting tomorrow? Who would want the fat at the same price?[/QUOTE]
Makes me think that retailers will find a way to sweeten the pot to get rid of their current stock. Free game, $50 gift card, something like that.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Man, will those people feel stupid in a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

maybe, maybe not if they pick up a unit with bundled game in it....I don't think most people care about the difference between a 80gb drive and 120gb drive....and if the price on the 160gb unit drops to $300, hard drive space centric folks might be feeling quite smart picking that up at that price.

I was hoping they'd add BC to the slim, so I'm kinda bummed even thought it was a bit unrealistic to expect that. I have 2 60GB PS3's so I could sell one and get a Slim, but then I'd have to hassle with bringing the 60GB out to the living room whenever I wanted to play PS2 games.

[quote name='BigBizzee']When will the PSN be back up? I'm curious to see if a new firmware is available - or if there is mention of BC somewhere on the interwebz[/QUOTE]
No mention of BC in the 3.00 firmware update that did drop today:
  • “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
  • Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
  • Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
  • PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
  • Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
  • Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.
Source

[quote name='omyard']I was hoping they'd add BC to the slim, so I'm kinda bummed even thought it was a bit unrealistic to expect that. I have 2 60GB PS3's so I could sell one and get a Slim, but then I'd have to hassle with bringing the 60GB out to the living room whenever I wanted to play PS2 games.[/QUOTE]
How often do you play PS2 games?

I played MGS2+3 (and 1) before 4 launched and thats about it since...2007. I have like 60 games for PS2 but damned if I can stand the graphics and loadtimes when theres waaaay too many 'current-gen' games to be getting on playing.

I'd like to see PS2 games on PSN though for some rare titles and (hopeful) eliminated load times I guess.

LOL still no pics in this thread.

ps3-slim-big-1.jpg

6215296_blog018.jpg

I'm still happy with my BC 60gb model with a 320gb HD swap. ;)
From the pics it looks like they removed everything shiny and used hardware buttons for the power and eject.
I'm excited to see the price cut though... definitely puts the ps3 in a better position competitively.

i've never got the 'slim' thing. it's not like a carry my console around. it sits in one place all the time. heck it could be twice as big if they wanted it to be.

[quote name='tranms']I'm still happy with my BC 60gb model with a 320gb HD swap. ;)
From the pics it looks like they removed everything shiny and used hardware buttons for the power and eject.
I'm excited to see the price cut though... definitely puts the ps3 in a better position competitively.[/QUOTE]
That is until the 360 Elite drops down to $299 tomorrow. ;)

Sony has been one step behind all the way this gen, but the $300 price tag is still welcome initiative.

[quote name='Japakneez']LOL still no pics in this thread.[/QUOTE]
Well sorry, nerdy mcnerd, but my 35mm camera was all out of film.

If Best Buy has the Metal Gear/Killzone fat combo for 299.99 I would rather have that. If the Uncharted bundle is 299.99 I would rather have that, also.

[quote name='denshaotoko']i've never got the 'slim' thing. it's not like a carry my console around. it sits in one place all the time. heck it could be twice as big if they wanted it to be.[/QUOTE]
Power supply. And maybe they're too stylish to have something that big in their living rooms (though IMO YMMV, glossy phatty > all in looks besides a glossy big HDTV).
[quote name='Jodou']That is until the 360 Elite drops down to $299 tomorrow. ;)

Sony has been one step behind all the way this gen, but the $300 price tag is still welcome initiative.[/QUOTE]
Its (I imagine) a little bit different to people buying a PS3 for $300 at the first time or buying a X360 at that price which has been available for ages (and lower, for more value-minded consumers). And one is 'new'. Sony better ad support it big time if they want to gain anything though.

Wish they kept the PlayStation 3 in spiderman font. Looked much nicer IMO.

That thing is sweet looking...I still could see myself selling the 60GB and using my PS2 when BC is needed. It looks alot more like a piece of an entertainment system now, and less like a spaceship or whatever.

While I really don't care about the looks, I will be grabbing the Slim. Bigger hard drive and less power consumption give you no reason to want the "phat" one over it at the same price point.

[quote name='nsb']Wtf. Its much (much) thinner but they actually made it wider?
3833615213_2c582aab60.jpg

3834410088_48a94f1b44.jpg

Thats just too much..space...first pic, very nice, second pic @_@[/QUOTE]

It's not MUCH deeper...would it really matter the space needed from front to back? Do FAT PS3's hang off the edge of people's shelves?

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']If Best Buy has the Metal Gear/Killzone fat combo for 299.99 I would rather have that. If the Uncharted bundle is 299.99 I would rather have that, also.[/QUOTE]

The uncharted bundle is the 160 gb variant which i believe has been reported to be reduced to just 399 vs the old price of 449. I am very interested in finding out about the mgs4/killzone 80 gb bundle from best buy though. There is also the little big planet / wall-e bundle that I am less interested in. Is the mgs4 / killzone bundle even still available at best buy?

I was pretty excited about this at first, but I think I'll probably just keep my old PS3 after seeing the pictures.

It just looks kind of...cheap and plasticy.

I DO like that they are getting away from the shiny piano finish - that was a fad that Apple created with the Ipod, and it SUCKED.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back