PS3 Slim Redesign - Real - $299

@ surak
I would be surprised if they go that route, because it makes slimming up a PS3 with only a negligible reduction in width and depth that much more pointless.
The convex "grill" of the top looks like it gives the system more stability while vertical [compared to the PS2 slim] so it probably won't need a base anyways.

It looks real enough to be real, in my opinion. However, it still looks like it has close to the same footprint as the current PS3 so I'm not sure how desirable it would be to current owners. Plus it would be pretty tough for me to give up 2 extra USB ports and memory card reader. I actually use those more than BC!

Yeap Sin pretty much confirmed It's real. He's one of those "Sony" Insiders and has always been right... if I am to believe what everyone says. He's gunning for Sept.

Slim PS3 will probably help them cut costs amongst other things and have the few naysayers (such as myself) buy a PS3 in the long run.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeap Sin pretty much confirmed It's real. He's one of those "Sony" Insiders and has always been right... if I am to believe what everyone says. He's gunning for Sept.

Slim PS3 will probably help them cut costs amongst other things and have the few naysayers (such as myself) buy a PS3 in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Do you think Sony's going to do the price cut, but it's not a price cut thing with this? I think it'll happen.

With their financial situation they can't really afford a price cut, and I'm guessing the slim is a long term project to reduce costs. Maybe a price cut next year instead? Or just more bundles *shrugs*.

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']I'm guess no one noticed that the PS3 image on the box is NOT the console shown in the other images?

It's fake, and pretty obvious at that.[/QUOTE]

? The whole console is only shown on the box. Most of the other pics are of the console shell - and just the top at that.

slim_ps3_270x333.jpg

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']I'm guess no one noticed that the PS3 image on the box is NOT the console shown in the other images?

It's fake, and pretty obvious at that.[/QUOTE]

Get glasses.

@ TheInfiniteAmmo
I'm guess no one noticed that the PS3 image on the box is NOT the console shown in the other images?

It's fake, and pretty obvious at that.
The only obvious thing is that there's a lip in the box art [underneath] where the disc is put in; could be placeholder art or maybe the lip can hide in the PS3.

It could very well be something viral that Sony is doing to create more buzz for the PS3 prior to E3.

From what I'm reading on these boards and a few others, a good percentage of individuals are waiting for a price drop and/or redesign. Perhaps by floating out these rumors, people will pay more attention to Sony at this year's E3 than last year and conclude, "The heck with it! I can't wait any more! *runs out to buy a system*"

I call shenanigans, however, unless someone can prove that PS3s are made in China.

[quote name='Ecofreak']It could very well be something viral that Sony is doing to create more buzz for the PS3 prior to E3.

From what I'm reading on these boards and a few others, a good percentage of individuals are waiting for a price drop and/or redesign. Perhaps by floating out these rumors, people will pay more attention to Sony at this year's E3 than last year and conclude, "The heck with it! I can't wait any more! *runs out to buy a system*"

I call shenanigans, however, unless someone can prove that PS3s are made in China.[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean unless you can't prove they're made in China? All the consoles are made in China.

I wonder if this isn't going to be Sony's cheap version of the PS3. No BC, no memory card slots, no wireless, and only 1 USB port. Bundle in a couple of Greatest Hits/PSN games and toss in a decent size hard drive and you've got your $199-$249 version of the console that you can sell to the masses. You sell a bunch of them, and as the regular SKU drops price, you phase this one out.

That makes more sense to me than it actually being the slim version.

At this point, the system needs a radical redesign and a relaunch to gain back some momentum.

They could also have the opportunity to include one of those new motion controllers they're working on.

Not to mention any major revision would also include a plethora of cost reducing measures.

i don't even understand how people would even consider this to be plausible. there is a particular reason as to why the current ps3 is the size that it is and i don't see a redesign of the system anytime soon until they are able to consider the cost. this is just a hoax or in this case BS.

we will never see a redesign not maybe until another 2 years or more [i'm thinking 5 years]. to reduce the size of the gpu and cell processors into a size that is heat sufficient will be a long time.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']i don't even understand how people would even consider this to be plausible. there is a particular reason as to why the current ps3 is the size that it is and i don't see a redesign of the system anytime soon until they are able to consider the cost. this is just a hoax or in this case BS.

we will never see a redesign not maybe until another 2 years or more [i'm thinking 5 years]. to reduce the size of the gpu and cell processors into a size that is heat sufficient will be a long time.[/QUOTE]

Why would Sony wait that long when PS3 is doing terrible? They need to inject some new batteries to the damn thing. Im pretty sure they'll announce the price drop at E3 and annouce the new model around Fall to be released Holiday 09.

Dont get me wrong. I thought the same thing. Why release the Slim so soon? Well they need to this time and they have been working on the 45nm chips for some time so its plausible that a Slim model is hitting soon.(Fall 09)

[quote name='darknight88']Why would Sony wait that long when PS3 is doing terrible? They need to inject some new batteries to the damn thing. Im pretty sure they'll announce the price drop at E3 and annouce the new model around Fall to be released Holiday 09.

Dont get me wrong. I thought the same thing. Why release the Slim so soon? Well they need to this time and they have been working on the 45nm chips for some time so its plausible that a Slim model is hitting soon.(Fall 09)[/QUOTE]

price drop and a new model. it's a stupid idea because you're losing money in reducing the price and reducing money by spending more on new designs. it needs to be one or the other or none. if it was both ways then it simply means sony retardation. they can however attract sales by doing what they did in japan, release new colors and designs [like a special edition ps3 with yakuza 3 designs or a resident evil 5 them ...].

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']price drop and a new model. it's a stupid idea because you're losing money in reducing the price and reducing money by spending more on new designs. it needs to be one or the other or none. if it was both ways then it simply means sony retardation. they can however attract sales by doing what they did in japan, release new colors and designs [like a special edition ps3 with yakuza 3 designs or a resident evil 5 them ...].[/QUOTE]

you are right, in a slumping economy the PS3 at $400 will sale well by releasing new colors, compared to its competition which is selling for Half. Yup because thats what the consumers in a bad economy want expensive electronics with varied color sets. :roll:

April's NPDs clearly show that consumers will not be shelling 400 bucks easily for a console.

April's NPDs clearly show that consumers will not be shelling 400 bucks easily for a console.
This is why I think this isn't the slim. I think it's the super gimped, nothing but a BD drive, HDD and a wired connection version of the PS3. The tard pack did great for MS. I'm thinking Sony might be trying the same thing instead of just dropping the price all across the board.

[quote name='el_cheezer']This is why I think this isn't the slim. I think it's the super gimped, nothing but a BD drive, HDD and a wired connection version of the PS3. The tard pack did great for MS. I'm thinking Sony might be trying the same thing instead of just dropping the price all across the board.[/QUOTE]

The hardware revisions that they have done on the PS3 itself has shown, however, that they've been able to 'gimp' (as you put it) the system without largely changing much. The R&D necessary to develop a new console design is far greater than if they simply continued to strip things out of the current model design.

Given your description of a "gimped" design, however, what is significant that all PS3 models offer that would be lost, aside from wireless?

[quote name='Frogurt.man']http://gear.ign.com/articles/983/983284p1.html

I understand that they are not a newspaper but how does garbage like this get greenlit?[/QUOTE]

Getting your hands on a Game Informer 3 days before the public, gives one god-like knowledge above any and all customers .
Not to mention the area behind the counter gives all employees a +5 to their know-it-all attribute .
;)

Ugh, bad reporting.

Here's the big thing though, we all know the initial design of the PS3 was flawed, it's main flaw was cost.

A new PS3 sku is very much plausible, assuming its purpose was cost savings. It could use a completely new bluray drive, a cheaper storage, and have less ports to cost money. A slimmer form would also cut down on materials costs. Also, while the costs to retool would be high, this new design might also employ features that cut down on the costs of manufacturing itself (not just materials, but time and tooling costs).

Yes, it unlikely that this is true, however, it's still pretty plausible that Sony would take this drastic measure of creating a new model, especially when something "new" and less expensive is pretty much what they need right now.

Personally, I don't think this is real, it's probably just a hoax. However, we all can be pretty certain that somewhere Sony is working on another SKU with a different form factor and cheaper production costs.

I think that the pics are real. The main thing is the box, but also, there's another pic that's not shown in this set [see additional bottom plate here - http://kotaku.com/5253475/are-these-the-first-pics-of-the-ps3-slim] where it shows the bottom plate of the newly designed PS3. Bascially on that bottom plate the design is the same as the original PS2 where you can insert the plastic screw covers

examples -

Because the design of the bottom plate is so similar to what we've seen from previous Sony products I think that could be considered as a factor in determining these pics as real. But that's the info that made me come to a conclusion that the pics are real...

I guess at this point all we can do is guess (or use the force to search our feelings..)

[quote name='el_cheezer']This is why I think this isn't the slim. I think it's the super gimped, nothing but a BD drive, HDD and a wired connection version of the PS3. The tard pack did great for MS. I'm thinking Sony might be trying the same thing instead of just dropping the price all across the board.[/QUOTE]

lol why do you have to call it the "tard" pack... lol. If you're right, I hope that it sales for 249 - 300, but I don't think so, because they're giving away a 120gb hdd w/ the system. Although, that would be one heck of a 300 dollar system - [the extra space would be good for those array of PSN titles that are coming] ALso, sometimes, having the "tard" pack will push people to buy the higher version.. people may go in looking at the tard pack and may see more value in the next pack, even if its a hundred dollars more.

An example of this would be Walmarts price / product strategy - Walmart has their tard pack (aka Sams Club) version of everything... people see that version and then decide to buy another product that's a bit better; and when they do that's when walmart would slightly over charge the customer (which is why they had to get rid of the "always the lowest prices" slogan).

If this was real, wouldn't they at least advertise it as being the "new ps3"? Nowhere on the box does it mention "new ps3" or "ps3 slim" (unless the box was just a prototype). At least with the case of the ps2 slim's boxing, they showed a side picture and called it a slim ps2. I really don't know though. From what I've heard, ps3s are made in factories with pink work areas, and the pics do seem to have just that. Personally, I don't like the look (if that is really the look of the finished product). It looks flimsy, something a chinese knock off would look like.

Now that I look at the image of the bottom cover there's no way this is real because the mold injection birthmark spot is way too close to the PS3 logo .
If there was a screw location near the birthmark for a sticker to cover up I'd reconsider my stance on this .
ps3_more_casing.jpg
That mold mark could easily be put on the inside of the finished part .

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='optimusprime8062']Well, this mock up of the PS3 looks OK. I mean this image IS fake of course but still...

slim_ps3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I hate that pic .
It's just the top of a normal PS3 with a photoshopped bottom .
Very little effort went into it .

[quote name='Richlough']Now that I look at the image of the bottom cover there's no way this is real because the mold injection birthmark spot is way too close to the PS3 logo .
If there was a screw location near the birthmark for a sticker to cover up I'd reconsider my stance on this .
ps3_more_casing.jpg
That mold mark could easily be put on the inside of the finished part .[/QUOTE]

Good point Richlough, another thing that bothers me is why is the PS3 logo on the bottom of the unit as well? I guess we will just have to wait until E3 to find out what the real deal will be. If this is real, and is a much cooler running, lower energy cost effective,plus if this one would not be a dust magnet like the current models, then I might be really interested in buying it.

This ps3 slim is a fake. Look at the box they spelled it as PlayStation 3 instead of PLAYSTATION 3. Doesn't Sony officially spell it as PLAYSTATION 3 ?

[quote name='js1']Good point Richlough, another thing that bothers me is why is the PS3 logo on the bottom of the unit as well? I guess we will just have to wait until E3 to find out what the real deal will be. If this is real, and is a much cooler running, lower energy cost effective,plus if this one would not be a dust magnet like the current models, then I might be really interested in buying it.[/QUOTE]

I thought maybe (if its real) the logo was on the bottom so that it can be seen when the system is in the vertical position.

[quote name='mykevermin']The hardware revisions that they have done on the PS3 itself has shown, however, that they've been able to 'gimp' (as you put it) the system without largely changing much.[/QUOTE]

Double trouble. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're using the PS3 just for next gen features and not worrying about backpat you're getting a better product. My 80 gig runs much quieter and cooler than my 60 gig ever did and I have never missed the two extra usb ports. The newest boards and the 3rd gen heatsink are fuckin beautiful.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']http://gear.ign.com/articles/983/983284p1.html[/QUOTE]

IGN can eat my asshole. That article is a fuckin disgrace.

edit: Right, yeah, my opinion on the whole thing. For starters, the font used in the PS3 logo makes me want to rip my eyes out. Uhhhh I'm not going to bother claiming the model's validity either way but I will definitely buy it if it turns out to be real.

Sony should just make PS3s and give Blu ray players the ability to play PS3 games. Make it so that no matter what you buy you get a game playing device.

[quote name='Thomas96']Sony should just make PS3s and give Blu ray players the ability to play PS3 games. Make it so that no matter what you buy you get a game playing device.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, make all Blu-ray players be PS3s... That makes perfect sense...:dunce:

Copy and pasted...

"

PS3_Slim_1.jpg

PS3_Slim_2.jpg

PS3_Slim_3.jpg

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

PS3_Slim_5.jpg

The slots here fit perfectly with the I/O output of the latest motherboards:

PS3_Slim_6.jpg

Other:

Original 60GB PS3 Motherboard, 180watt versus current 80GB, 110watt (which has 65nm CPU/GPU):

60vs80.jpg

The standard workstations (as pointed out by Sin):

pink_workstation.jpg

Thanks to west and iceatcs for angling the image correctly, the system is almost quadratic:

PS3_Slim_7.jpg

Goldrusher has done a good job trying to fit the various pieces:

PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

So:

1. Convincing, professional chassis mold
2. Logo changed from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3 which is logical, not proof for/against though
3. Packaging image is not shopped (though the pack itself might be custom made)
4. IBM have had the 45nm Cell in production (since mid 2008 I believe?), we all know the story about the general downsizing of PS3 components and lower power needs
5. Pink/green work stations! (same as background)
6. Sony shipped 10m PS3's in fiscal year 07 and 08 each, they are now saying 13m for 09.
7. Maintek Computer located in Suzhou, China, manufactures PS3s. They brought down the thread (Chinese) that was hosting these images with cease and desist.

Don't expect this one at E3, not impossible but unlikely. Late summer/early fall."

E3 is the annouce platform for summer/fall releases. If there's any redesign coming this year, it will be announced at E3.

Hmm, I'll wait to see if this is $300 since my PS3 needs to be repaired...Anyone clues mentioned about msrp?

If this is true I'll get rid of my PS3 and pick this one up. This probably won't have any BC right?

[quote name='Blackout']If this is true I'll get rid of my PS3 and pick this one up. This probably won't have any BC right?[/QUOTE]

Can i ask why you would do that?

bread's done
Back