PS3 Slim Redesign - Real - $299

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can i ask why you would do that?[/QUOTE]

No you can't. :)

I have the 80 GB. I don't like the current PS3 model. It's too damn big and gets dirty way too easily. It's purely personal preference.

Okay, and now I think it's real, there's just so much good evidence that either it's a very elaborate hoax (so elaborate that you really can't blame anyone for thinking it's real) or it is indeed real.

There's two features I'd want to see that would make me consider selling my old backwards compatable PS3 for a new system. Turns out I don't use the BC all that much so I can do without.

First is the ability to use the Bluetooth 2 (or was that 3) feature that allows you to output all audio to a headset, not just voice comms, at high quality. This is already being used in portable media players like the Samsung P2 and P3, and there's already some good headphones/headsets out there that make use of this.

The second feature is for powered USB ports while the system is shut down (but not off via the back switch). It was seriously bad design to require the PS3 controllers to be recharged seperately via another USB device while there's 2 perfect good USB ports on the system.

I think many others here would also consider an upgrade if functionality was improved somehow.

[quote name='Thomas96']Sony should just make PS3s and give Blu ray players the ability to play PS3 games. Make it so that no matter what you buy you get a game playing device.[/QUOTE]

Get a brain, moran.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Yeah, make all Blu-ray players be PS3s... That makes perfect sense...:dunce:[/QUOTE]

the only real difference is the casing... what is the difference between a 300 dollar PS3 and a 300 dollar blu ray player. Its clearly better for Sony to sell PS3s so make a Blu Ray player in a blu ray player case that has the extra feature to play ps3 games.

what I was trying to say earlier is that Sony should make something equivalent to the Panasonic Q, keep it in a regular blu ray casing

[quote name='Thomas96']the only real difference is the casing... what is the difference between a 300 dollar PS3 and a 300 dollar blu ray player. Its clearly better for Sony to sell PS3s so make a Blu Ray player in a blu ray player case that has the extra feature to play ps3 games.[/QUOTE]

Isn't there more difference than just the casing? Do bluray players have a Cell processor?

[quote name='theflicker']Isn't there more difference than just the casing? Do bluray players have a Cell processor?[/QUOTE]

that's why I'm suggesting that they just add the chip to some of the blu ray player models and sell them as Blu ray players, but with PS3 gaming capability. Same blu ray casing, just an added chip for gaming functions - along w/ blue tooth and whatever else is needed. Like the Panasonic Q (which is the best example of what I'm thinking of... or rather the Sega CDX - which was like a regular CD player but it was also a Sega CD ) THe purpose of this is just to sell PS3s to those customers who may be looking for a Blu ray player only. Honestly, I like the blu ray player model designs better than I like the ps3 model design.

[quote name='Thomas96']that's why I'm suggesting that they just add the chip to some of the blu ray player models and sell them as Blu ray players, but with PS3 gaming capability. Same blu ray casing, just an added chip for gaming functions - along w/ blue tooth and whatever else is needed. Like the Panasonic Q (which is the best example of what I'm thinking of... or rather the Sega CDX - which was like a regular CD player but it was also a Sega CD ) THe purpose of this is just to sell PS3s to those customers who may be looking for a Blu ray player only. Honestly, I like the blu ray player model designs better than I like the ps3 model design.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understand how any of this works at all...

[quote name='SkankinRex']I don't think you understand how any of this works at all...[/QUOTE]

He definitely doesn't. He thinks it's just magic inside a box.

Well anyways, I'm beginning to think this is real. After looking at the photo with all the parts put together it looks quite nice, and I may even consider buying one. Who knows? I'm actually for this.

[quote name='SkankinRex']I don't think you understand how any of this works at all...[/QUOTE]

how about you explain it to me.. right now.

[quote name='zewone']He definitely doesn't. He thinks it's just magic inside a box.[/QUOTE]

you mean to tell me that a new model of PS3 can't be made using a more standard blu ray casing... of course there would be some differences.

you what makes you such a queef is that instead of trying to understand what I'm saying (assuming I'm saying it wrong) you try to make a joke of the situation. Its like you think you might be cool.. like Dilian from 91210.

or 90210.. you seem like the person that would like that type of garbage, probably have that game for your DS... Beverly Hills 90210 Touch

Because you're stupid. You think you know how shit works, but you're a retard with an IQ below 70, but you're too dumb to even notice.

Thomas96, what you say wouldn't work because you can't just use a "chip" to add ps3 functionality to a blu ray player. It has special circuitry, including Input/Output functions, a graphics processing unit, and the cell processor. To make a blu-ray player be able to play ps3 games would for all intents and purposes, be a PS3 in a different casing. There's no cost-cutting going to come of it. And it wouldn't be a way to pander game capability to blu-ray owners, as that's what the ps3 already did early in its life. Now players can be had below 200 dollars. That market is gone for the ps3.

Er, back OT: 1UP made a good point about the engadget cease-and-desist. The "leak" could be for a "knockoff" system sold only in China, and the company responsible simply doesn't want Sony to sic their legal team on them.

[quote name='gunm']Er, back OT: 1UP made a good point about the engadget cease-and-desist. The "leak" could be for a "knockoff" system sold only in China, and the company responsible simply doesn't want Sony to sic their legal team on them.[/QUOTE]

ehhh....knockoff manufacturing company having a litigating itch? hard to believe. Sony having one? much easier to swallow.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well since Sony sent their lawyers thata way, I gota assume this all but realz!

Speedy and CC anyone?[/QUOTE]

I heard it wasnt Sony (at least in Kotaku's case), but the factory that the photos are from...or something like that...so thats why there is still some speculation and what not.

Source:

[quote name=' Kotaku'] Late last week, we posted what appeared to be the first pictures of the PLAYSTATION 3 "Slim". Taiwan-based attorney Li Mo & Associates contacted us, potentially giving credence to the validity of the pictures. In their email, the firm stated that these "trade secrets" had been posted online and demanded that the images be taken down "immediately" in a cease-and-desist. However, this legal notice did not come from Sony, who still has yet to comment on the images.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zewone']Because you're stupid. You think you know how shit works, but you're a retard with an IQ below 70, but you're too dumb to even notice.[/QUOTE]

And so that bother's you so much you feel the need to respond back.. you're in the PS3 forums, my area. Go back and talk shit in the Lifestyle & Off Topic area, like you normally do. I don't whose ovaries you borrowed, but I'm surprised you're bold enough to even talk trash to me directly. And give those ovaries back to their owner.

Seriously, both of you, take it to PMs.

You two are acting like little children with nothing better to do than annoy each other. No I don't care who started it.

So if you two don't settle down I swear I'm going to turn this topic right around! I mean it!

[quote name='Anexanhume']Thomas96, what you say wouldn't work because you can't just use a "chip" to add ps3 functionality to a blu ray player. It has special circuitry, including Input/Output functions, a graphics processing unit, and the cell processor. To make a blu-ray player be able to play ps3 games would for all intents and purposes, be a PS3 in a different casing. There's no cost-cutting going to come of it. And it wouldn't be a way to pander game capability to blu-ray owners, as that's what the ps3 already did early in its life. Now players can be had below 200 dollars. That market is gone for the ps3.[/QUOTE]

I understand that it would require more than just adding a chip.. the main issue is that is it even worth it do it. Like you said players can be had for under 200 dollars. It doesn't matter, its not like changing the PS3 casing to look more like a regular blu ray player is going to make an increase in sales.

[quote name='mykevermin']ehhh....knockoff manufacturing company having a litigating itch? hard to believe. Sony having one? much easier to swallow.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm hoping the rumors are all true and this is a slimmer, cheaper PS3 for us all. But this is Sony we're talking about...

[quote name='gunm']Oh, I'm hoping the rumors are all true and this is a slimmer, cheaper PS3 for us all. But this is Sony we're talking about...[/QUOTE]

This is the slimmer, cheaper PS3 for Sony, not for the consumers. I just don't think that any PS3 w/ a 120gb hd will be 300 dollars, or anything under 400. HOwever, if I'm wrong and this 120gb PS3 is 300 then I think its a good deal. Its important that Sony has a product that's not only cheap, but makes consumers feel like they're getting a good deal.

Well, hopefully if its cheaper to make, they will lower the price. However, I think they may keep it at the $399 price point and just hope demand goes up. I imagine that may work as well...

LOL this reminds me of the rip off version of PSP popstation made in china. You can look at the vid on youtube. its halarious.

[quote name='gamerpro4000']LOL this reminds me of the rip off version of PSP popstation made in china. You can look at the vid on youtube. its halarious.[/QUOTE]

Here.

I dont think its a PS3 version of that though, because they allready released the PS3 version of that...

Anyways, I cant wait until E3, I want to know whats up with this.

^LOL, thanks this was a great laugh. This looks like an old school hand-helds where the images where already there and the light bold around the image to show you what path is being used.

[quote name='mykevermin']ehhh....knockoff manufacturing company having a litigating itch? hard to believe. Sony having one? much easier to swallow.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but if they were really a knockoff manufacturer trying to hide from Sony, then one would have to question the wisdom of ordering lawyers to send out legal documentation, presumably with full contact information (Names, Address, and phone number of the legal firm), to news sites that likely have some sort of direct contact with Sony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a6lxiB1b_I

I saw an inFamous commercial today that had a different "Only on PLAYSTATION" ending to it. It said PS3 instead of PLAYSTATION 3 and it used the old school PlayStation sound from the early PS2 commercials. It's pretty obvious they're going for a re-branding like the box suggests.

[quote name='TimPV3']I saw an inFamous commercial today that had a different "Only on PLAYSTATION" ending to it. It said PS3 instead of PLAYSTATION 3 and it used the old school PlayStation sound from the early PS2 commercials. It's pretty obvious they're going for a re-branding like the box suggests.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure they are? Brand new bundle in the UK, using the spider-font still.

51W65BWVhsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

[quote name='TimPV3']I saw an inFamous commercial today that had a different "Only on PLAYSTATION" ending to it. It said PS3 instead of PLAYSTATION 3 and it used the old school PlayStation sound from the early PS2 commercials. It's pretty obvious they're going for a re-branding like the box suggests.[/QUOTE]

It reminds me of when SEGA brought back the SEGA scream .

They could be "easing" it in...like say changing the commercials a bit...then ...November rolls around and BAM! Newly branded and slim Playstation 3.

EDIT: Maybe "BAM!" isnt the best word usage when Im trying to make the point that they are possibly trying to make a smooth transition...but you get what Im saying here...

[quote name='optimusprime8062']They could be "easing" it in...like say changing the commercials a bit...then ...November rolls around and BAM! Newly branded and slim Playstation 3.

EDIT: Maybe "BAM!" isnt the best word usage when Im trying to make the point that they are possibly trying to make a smooth transition...but you get what Im saying here...[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, no that does make sense yes. :lol:

[quote name='NamPaehc']Are you sure they are? Brand new bundle in the UK, using the spider-font still.

51W65BWVhsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

New bundle , 'old' hardware . ;)

I wonder how Tobey McGuire feels about all of this ? :lol:

Could be that bundle is meant to get rid of extra stock of the old models. If there is a new model coming out it would be cheaper to produce, but not necessarily cheaper for us to buy considering Sony's stance on the price drop.

That or the whole line gets a series of price drops, with older models being cheaper and the newest model at around $350 or so.

So arstechnica is claiming their "mole" confirmed the rumor as true: Slim PS3 exists and will be ready by August/September. The "mole" says, however, that an announcement is not planned for E3.

At this point, the only question I have now is, "how much?" I'm guessing they're probably going to do another tempo drop to clear out the existing inventory, but will this newer PS3 be able to sustain a lower MSRP as well? Just because Sony can save money on the new production process, doesn't mean they are going to pass that on to the consumer since they are still so much in the hole with the hardware platform overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bet is that there won't be a price drop, er, more likely a drop of the current models to clear them out. However, there will be a better bundle for the PS3.

[quote name='Vanigan']My bet is that there won't be a price drop, er, more likely a drop of the current models to clear them out. However, there will be a better bundle for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I'm thinking. I say slim PS3 for $399.99

Why the hell would you bump this with a bullshit mockup that was posted and clearly labeled as fake by the artist on GAF days ago?

bread's done
Back