PS3 Slim Redesign - Real - $299

[quote name='Master Ninja']-
- made cheaper with lower quality components possibly higher failure rate, C[/QUOTE]

yes did the intewebz tell u this. or that 3 year old across the street.

yes its also clear that since the ps2 was slimmed down they also used crappier parts because they have mastered manufacturing and thus went with the crappiest possible components

I don't think they're created with lower quality parts, I think they just found new/different technology at a cheaper price. Or production costs just shift, I dunno. But lower quality parts that may hinder it's gaming performance, I highly doubt.

[quote name='Phunin']I don't think they're created with lower quality parts, I think they just found new/different technology at a cheaper price. Or production costs just shift, I dunno. But lower quality parts that may hinder it's gaming performance, I highly doubt.[/QUOTE]

The CELL, RSX, and Blu-ray drive have all come down in price, which were quite expensive when the PS3 launched. I think they were each around $100 (each) to manufacture, plus the other costs and components.

[quote name='Master Ninja']knowing Sony the ps1 slim and ps2 slim were all more expensive

the ps3 slim will be more expensive also But cheapest of all for them to make that way they drop prices but still make more profit

because they will be making more profit off a $399 Slim vs a $399 80GB because the slim is cheaper for them to make[/QUOTE]

This man speaks the truth. You guys keep forgetting that Sony has done the "Slim" redesign twice and has never launched it at a cheaper price than the "Phat".

I voted $399 and I don't think it will come bundled with anything.

[quote name='depascal22']This man speaks the truth. You guys keep forgetting that Sony has done the "Slim" redesign twice and has never launched it at a cheaper price than the "Phat".

I voted $399 and I don't think it will come bundled with anything.[/QUOTE]

Sony hasn't been in this position of losing this much money EVER, though. The PS1 was a success and the PS2 basically turned the gaming industry upside-down with it's mega-success. But with the PS3, it's been extremely expensive to manufacture and a very slow start in terms of units sold. Sony NEEDS to get PS3's into homes so that people will buy the software (games and Blu-ray movies). Only way to do that is to bite the bullet and price it lower than the current model. I voted for $349 even though I want $299. Sony will still make a good amount of profit on the PS3 Slim at $349, but I don't think that's low enough yet to persuade consumers...

Very nice points but this is the same company that just priced the PSP GO at $249. The Slim will probably be $349 (or even lower) by this time next year but it'll probably launch at a higher price point to take advantage of the people that will buy it at any price.

[quote name='depascal22']Very nice points but this is the same company that just priced the PSP GO at $249. The Slim will probably be $349 (or even lower) by this time next year but it'll probably launch at a higher price point to take advantage of the people that will buy it at any price.[/QUOTE]

I voted for $299 earlier, but this right here makes me think $299 won't be the price.

But keep in mind that the PS3 is also in a completely different market than the PSX/PS2/PSP so it's not completely fair to assume they will attempt to gouge consumers here. At 50+ million units for the PSP, Sony doesn't need to be as competitive in order to sell a new revision. But then again, it is Sony.

With both the PSX and PS2, Sony could easily afford not to lower the price significantly because they already held a large market-share. This isn't so much the case with the PS3 as it lags behind the number of units in home compared to the Wii and the 360, so I don't feel 100% certain they can afford the risk of keeping the same price.

If they can produce units cheaply enough, Sony needs the $299 point in order to have that competitive edge against the 360 and Wii. I feel there's a 50/50 chance that the slim will launch at $299, but any higher than $349 will be a shot in the proverbial PS3 foot, and I'm not sure if even $349 is enough for a big console push.

Also something else to take into consideration, is that Sony has to still be making a pretty penny off PS2 sales, so if PS2 BC is included into the slim/new firmware this will likely cannibalize some of the current PS2 sales. Yet another factor which may affect the price point of the slim.

Probably two SKUs at 80/120 GB (or maybe 120/160) at $299/$349.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was still $399.

[quote name='Earmuffin585']Is the ps3 slim going to be like the ps3 but slimmer? If it less powerful or is there any cons from buying the ps3 slim instead of ps3.[/QUOTE]I don't know, let me grab mine and check...

It should be $299 if Sony actually wants people to buy it.

But then again, this is the same company that priced the UMDless PSP Go at $250...

I voted $399.
I wouldn't imagine that they want to spend the time and effort to make these revisions and then charge less for a system than they do now.
Not only that, but they'll want to get rid of all the older systems as well, although I don't even think they will drop the price on any of the older systems with the idea being to get them to the stores to check out the new system and then bite on the "discount" model.
Makes it look like a price drop although it isn't.

I don't think Sony has gotten over their own arrogance. As others have said above: $249 for a PSPGo?

The fact of the matter is that if Sony honestly knew what they needed to do to remain competitive, they'd have dropped the price on the current system months ago. Instead, they increase features and charge the same price, oblivious to the fact that the price is the factor, not what you get for the price.

This is Sony's Line up for Holiday 2009

PSP 3000 $169.99
PSP Go $249.99
PS3 80GB $299.99 (this SKU will be gone fast) just like how Microsoft price the 20GB SKU at $299 then killed it off and launch the 60GB SKU at $299
PS3 Slim $299 (but you won't see any in store till October)
PS3 160GB $399 with 2 Games or game movie combo

on a side not I am desprately trying to sell my Nintendo Wii before the prices crash, and the PS3 hits $299

My guess is $399 with big hdd (120 GB?), PS2 BC, and maybe any Greatest Hits title? Don't forget that this is Sony we're talking about. The company who wants to sell PSP Go for $249. The company who was resistant (for the longest time) on lowering down the PSP in order to compete with the DS. The company who boldly wanted us to get 2 jobs if we couldn't afford a PS3.

I also have a difficult time imagining retail stores carrying a $299 PS3 Slim right next to a $249 PSP Go. $349 at the cheapest for a bare bones package.

I'm not sure when Sony will finally be humbled but it took Nintendo 2 generations to realize their faults. Hopefully, Sony doesn't follow the same footsteps as Nintendo. On a side note, Nintendo better be careful because they're getting quite cocky with their lack of 1st-party support and over-saturation of shovelware.

No friggen idea. Hard to gauge Sony at times.

But, my guess is that if they do release it at 399 it will be bundled with either some games, blurays or extra accessories.

If Sony actually wants the PS3 Slim to do what the PS3 Slim needs to do, they HAVE TO release it at $299. The problem is if any of the rumours I've heard are true -- such as a super tiny HD (40gb?), no wifi, etc-- it creates a gimped PS3. The PS3 is such an awesome media player that putting a small HD on it just defeats the purpose... Hard drives are cheap, they should have AT LEAST 80GB, Wifi is cheap... and I can't believe that after being on the market for 2 years, and some players available for $99, the Bluray component prices haven't dropped so much that Sony could release a $299 Slim with most of the currently available features.

im just waiting for a $300 ps3 to buy one, i dont care if its black, white, slim, fat... as long as it goes down to $300 ill get one

[quote name='Justin42']If Sony actually wants the PS3 Slim to do what the PS3 Slim needs to do, they HAVE TO release it at $299. The problem is if any of the rumours I've heard are true -- such as a super tiny HD (40gb?), no wifi, etc-- it creates a gimped PS3.[/QUOTE]

Still, hasn't experience proven that people care about cost much more than all the nice but nonessential things you can build into the box? MS sold/sells plenty of Cores and Arcades despite the fact that they're "gimped." Hell, my 360 is an Arcade.

[quote name='Serpentor']Man, this stupid "rumor" suspense is killing me, so is this slim thing for real? It's August already, so where's the slim?[/QUOTE]

gamescom in Cologne would be the event to watch. It's a big event, made to replace the Games Convention formerly held in Leipzig.

Notable? Sony has a press conference scheduled during gamescom. A three-hour press conference on Tuesday, August 18th.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
Notable? Sony has a press conference scheduled during gamescom. A [url=http://kotaku.com/5330640/brink-wet-red-steel-2-added-to-growing-gamescom-list]three-hour
press conference on Tuesday, August 18th.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much new material Sony will bring, as they already had a 3-hour conference during E3. But then again, perhaps the whole venue will be worth it if the PS3 Slim and release date for GT5 is announced since who really watches all 3 hours except for the people there?

I'm really hoping this news is real, would be perfect for me since I'm purchasing a PS3 soon in time for Uncharted 2.

Here is a serious community wide red alert act fast if you can. I know many here have expressed that they want the 80GB 2 game SKU which includes Metal Gear Solid 4 and KillZone 2.

I live in Miami, and a brand new Best Buy had it Grand Opening on Saturday. I went to a Reward Zone members only Pre-Grand opening on Friday.

There I saw at least 10 or more of the 80GB 2 game bundle SKU. Price at $399.99

the actual SKU number is 9401417. Today. I went over to Best Buy feeling confident Sony will drop the price and I can get the Price match, for the difference. When I arrived ALL of the 9401417 SKU were GONE.

I was told by all the employees on the floor that some guy has Purchased 10 of them and the last one was sold this morning.

When I asked to look up the SKU to see where or which Best Buy, had any more, all Best Buy's in Miami or the South Florida region are sold out, and the SKU shows up as "dead" so they do not expect anymore. So heads up people.

Yeah looks like Sony has quietly ended the life cycle of this SKU, because even at $399 for those 2 games included is a nice deal, at $299 it would be crazy.

So looks like they are making room to drop the plain old 80GB to $299

without this SKU with 2 games in the way because obviously every would want this SKU instead.

http://thebigmanandgarrett.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/exclusive-ps3-slim-best-buy-ad-leaked/

http://gizmodo.com/5336404/is-this-the-ps3-slim-in-a-kmart-flyer

PS3Slim500.jpg

Picture1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty damn good, but on the skeptical side, there's something about the design that doesn't quite mesh with their usual flyers.

Something about that looks fishy. The way the banner looks. But hell, 10 bucks for a new Little Big Planet! HAVE FAITH CAGS!

Maybe its an early black friday scan?

edit: than again i doubt its a black friday scan cause of the madden 10 pic in there. unlikely that madden would still be full price come november.

[quote name='dinovelvet']I think I'm more interested in MGS4 and Little big planet for $9.99!! I'll believe it if/when the real ad comes out.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it has some minor details on there about those. Perhaps you get those games for that price if you also buy the slim PS3 too.

Probably fake, I doubt it'd have as detailed info about the slim and there's no way they'd have all those games for $10.

[quote name='ShadowHero10']Something about that looks fishy. The way the banner looks. But hell, 10 bucks for a new Little Big Planet! HAVE FAITH CAGS![/QUOTE]

The 9.99 on LBP is the most shocking part of the ad. One of the biggest and best selling PS3 games, that still retails for $60 everywhere, is suddenly going to plummet to ten bucks? Big WTF on that.

I'm not so sure they could be selling Uncharted for $10, but if so I'm ALL over it. Been waiting for a good price on that and MGS4.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Looks like it has some minor details on there about those. Perhaps you get those games for that price if you also buy the slim PS3 too.[/QUOTE]

This

when you go to the enlarged pictures on the site link - it shows a release date of 9/6 and I think it also says 'full backwards compatibility' - if so, this is huge (not that I believe it!)

I'll definitely pick up Uncharted and MGS4 again if they go on sale for $10

[quote name='NamPaehc']Looks like it has some minor details on there about those. Perhaps you get those games for that price if you also buy the slim PS3 too.[/QUOTE]

That would make a little more sense and would be a great incentive to get people into BB. Can anyone read the two words under the $9.99 tag? something "titles", I think?

[quote name='coolz481']when you go to the enlarged pictures on the site link - it shows a release date of 9/6 and I think it also says 'full backwards compatibility' - if so, this is huge (not that I believe it!)

I'll definitely pick up Uncharted and MGS4 again if they go on sale for $10[/QUOTE]

Not to mention it has 4 USBs and memory card slots.

I would go for the same games.

bread's done
Back