PS3 Slim Redesign - Real - $299

Let's add more fuel to the fire, shall we?

[quote name='Kotaku.com']Earlier this May, supposed "leaked" photos from a Chinese plant showed what's reported to be the PS3 Slim. The German Amazon site now has a listing for "PlayStation 3 Konsole slim".

Googling the product code number does not show anything else but this listing on Amazon.de.

Retailer listings of unannounced products are always fishy. Ditto for this.

PlayStation 3 Konsole slim [Amazon.de Thanks, Daniel!][/quote]

i have 2 ps3s, one original 60gb and one of the newer 80gb non-BC. If this thing can play ps2 games im getting rid of the 80gb and getting one of these

i dont give an F about the slim, but i would like that $100 price cut so i can get a ps3 already, my 360 and wii are lonely. they need a new freind

Considering that the current estimates for the cost cutting measures Sony has made on the the PS3 put it at 70% less to manufacture from release day, combined with this new model that's meant to take advantage of every possible cost cutting measure they have, this is going to happen, and I would not be surprised at all if there's a $100 price cut.

On launch day, assuming each PS3 cost around $700 USD to produce or more, 70% off that number is about $210. It's possible.

Part of the reason why they were able to pull this off is the bluray victory. All the cost cutting measures put into blurays for movies is being put into the PS3.

Something ive been noticing for the past week or so, whenever i go to a walmart, i always stop by the electronics for some hot YMMV clearance action. Well, for the past week, 3 different walmarts, there has been 0 PS3s for sale. I even ask the employees who say they've been out of stock and do not know when they will get more in. Slim incoming?!

Personally, I don't care what the new PS3 looks like, or how much it's going to cost. I just want to know if the old PS3s will have BC finally via a firmware update.

[quote name='Vanigan']Considering that the current estimates for the cost cutting measures Sony has made on the the PS3 put it at 70% less to manufacture from release day, combined with this new model that's meant to take advantage of every possible cost cutting measure they have, this is going to happen, and I would not be surprised at all if there's a $100 price cut.

On launch day, assuming each PS3 cost around $700 USD to produce or more, 70% off that number is about $210. It's possible.

Part of the reason why they were able to pull this off is the bluray victory. All the cost cutting measures put into blurays for movies is being put into the PS3.[/QUOTE]
Each PS3 (60GB model when it launched) cost over $800 to manufacture. So really it's now roughly $240 for Sony to produce a PS3. I would imagine once the RSX goes 45nm (later this year?) Sony will finally start making some decent money even at $299 where as if they do the cut now with a slim, they are only looking at about $40 profit on each PS3...

[quote name='Lynsanity']I have seen quite a few at my local WMs. Perhaps they are clearing stock for something smaller...[/QUOTE]

Probably making room for more Easy Bake Ovens. I hear they're coming back in style in time for the Holiday season.

[quote name='SynGamer']Each PS3 (60GB model when it launched) cost over $800 to manufacture. So really it's now roughly $240 for Sony to produce a PS3. I would imagine once the RSX goes 45nm (later this year?) Sony will finally start making some decent money even at $299 where as if they do the cut now with a slim, they are only looking at about $40 profit on each PS3...[/QUOTE]

What what what?! Sony, making a profit on each PS3 sold? That would be an amazing day indeed -- I can't imagine the party Sony Corp. would hold.

Sam Bishop of IGN has basically confirmed either a price drop or the Slim announcement later this month with a post at GAF.

:rubs hands together:

It's both, a price drop can't come without the slim since the slim version is the one that includes all the cost cutting measures.

Since I already have a PS3, the only interest I have in it is if they include stuff like full software BC for PS2 (but even then I don't play PS2 games that much), AADP bluetooth support (put all audio through bluetooth, not just voice chat), and other things like an NXE style overhaul of the XMB, a better cross game invite system (there is actually an invite system in now, but it's stupid).

There are rumors that a new firmware 3.0 is schedules to coincide with the new PS3 slim, but so far there hasn't been much else to help confirm that.

Lets try and put our collective info on this together.

Best I have is right before Madden 2010 goes on sale August 14th

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely by years end. Its supposedly costing Sony 70% less to produce PS3's now. That, and they'll want to clear some inventory for the Slim launch.

Yeah from the Japanese docs I've seen, with my Self Tought Japanese I learned, and jap gf the best I could read, is that the Slim PS3 was done

#1. It reduces the size of the shipping box, meaning Sony can pack more in to air plane cargo shipments, and cargo boat.

#2. It reduces the Weight, as we know Shipping from China to California is based on Weight Both in Cargo boat, or Cargo air plane, so it reduces weight saves Sony money and they can pack more units in.

#3. Its the PS3 Slim because Sony has now made the Power supply External thereby saving weight and Size.
Plus right now because of the PS3 size and weight It costs Sony, roughly $30+ to Ship a PS3 back and forth for repair reasons
By making a smaller light PS3, it can go down to $15. If you have ever shipped anything you know this.

#4. No WiFi, for gaming, I only trust Wired, and it saves Sony about $10 per Console leaving out the WiFi Chip

I could care less, as Long as Its $299 I am in

its one of the more credible rumors or theories going around right now, I mean it is still speculation, given Sony's terrible leaks

with PSP-Go and now Slim PS3, theyare trying to be tight lipped, but we have already seen pictures of the Slim PS3 Box which matches the Design style of the PSP-Go packaging

on second thought wifi may still be in there because it need it for the PSP

It seems like the PS3 Slim's announcement is inevitable, and it looks like Sony is going to clear the retail shelves for it by dropping the price of the PS3 Fat to make room. So the question is what will the PS3 slim start at?

We've certainly seen Sony cut the price of older units to make way for the newer, higher priced model before (60gb to $500, 80gb with game for $600 rings a bell). So, will Sony stay that course here or will a new cheaper price be the standard?

I WANT $299...but Sony has been losing a lot of money on the PS3 for a while now so I could see them pricing it at $349 bundled with a game (KZ2 or GT5?). While the $299 price point will break a lot of mental barriers, Sony may go the financial route and price it at $349 :( We'll see in a couple weeks.

If it isn't $299, it's really a "why bother?" scenario. I mean, I can see Sony pulling one of their usual moves and charging more than they should and tossing in a game, but that's not going to move many units. The issue with the PS3 is price, so "adding value" is wasting time.

I think a lot of people (me included) are voting for what they think it SHOULD ($299) launch at, not what it COULD. It definitely could launch at $350 with a game bundled in.

I could see 'em launching it at $350 and putting the rest of the 80s on clearance for $300 and then once they've cleared out make the slim $300.

Who knows.

I wouldn't mind it being $399 like their current 80GB model. Increase the HD space to 120GB and have a slimmer, more efficient PS3. Backwards compatibility isn't a necessity or something I covet. I have a silver PS2 slim on my desk right now. It plays PS2 games and was only $99, not to mention is 20x more power efficient than any PS3 playing back PS2 games, will work with 100% of them, and helps make the PS3 cheaper without adding more bloat. Free BC support via firmware update as rumored would be great, but I'm not holding my breath since that would be a lot of flip flopping on Sony's PS2 support and the sales of individual PS2 units is a good tourniquet for a bleeding Sony company.

[quote name='JJSP']I'll say $349 for a 120GB, with the old systems dropping to $299 to clear them off of shelves.[/QUOTE]

This has my vote. If the Slim launches at $400, people will scream "BLOODY MURDER" even if the Phats are cut to $300. Perhaps it'll be more palpable if a few games are bundled as previously mentioned.

knowing Sony the ps1 slim and ps2 slim were all more expensive

the ps3 slim will be more expensive also But cheapest of all for them to make that way they drop prices but still make more profit

because they will be making more profit off a $399 Slim vs a $399 80GB because the slim is cheaper for them to make

And Plus It may possibly, just possibly have full PS2 BC, But its close to 2010 and I am not going to pay a $100 Tax to play maybe 2 PS2 games still worth playing.

I would rather buy a cheap PS2 off Craigslist for $30

Is the ps3 slim going to be like the ps3 but slimmer? If it less powerful or is there any cons from buying the ps3 slim instead of ps3.

-External Power supply.
- made cheaper with lower quality components possibly higher failure rate, Current PS3's are tried and true workhorses with a 1% or less failure rate. Slim PS3 is un-tested un proven no one knows.

[quote name='Master Ninja']-External Power supply.
- made cheaper with lower quality components possibly higher failure rate, Current PS3's are tried and true workhorses with a 1% or less failure rate. Slim PS3 is un-tested un proven no one knows.[/QUOTE]

Reports are that the power supply are still internal but we'll find out soon enough. I twill consume less power though, will still play PS3 games just as well as current PS3s, nothing to really worry about.

[quote name='Master Ninja']-External Power supply.
- made cheaper with lower quality components possibly higher failure rate, Current PS3's are tried and true workhorses with a 1% or less failure rate. Slim PS3 is un-tested un proven no one knows.[/QUOTE]

Doubt Sony will go with external power supply.

Keep in mind the reason they can make the slim is because the RSX and Cell are now both 45 nm chips which means they let of a lot less heat so you don't need as many fans/heat sinks etc which is why it can be made smaller.

bread's done
Back