PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='Vinny']Can't be long before the internet is shut down and we have to *gasp* go over to other people's houses for multiplayer.[/QUOTE]
I've actually been kinda hoping this would happen(internet being shut down completely) as the internet is mostly crap anyway.:razz:
Sigh... it's just un-fucking-believable how long PSN has been down for. I honestly hope Sony learns something from this, other than to keep hiring lawyers and suing people.

Aw... who am I kidding? I can't wait to see their E3 press conference to see what they say. I'm guessing something along the lines of: "It's not our fault! It's those hackers! And Nintendo sucks because they don't have real games... only casual motion games! ... What? Move? What's that?"
Shhhhh. Remember, you're not supposed to besmirch teh Sony as Sony is infallible.:booty:
[quote name='ssjmichael']You know, a lot of people were surprised when they said it'd be back up within a week or two because rebuilding your entire security network from the ground up can usually take months. Yet now that it is taking longer people are bitching. The Internet never ceases to amaze me.

I'm sure Sony could whip something up and put it back online, but would you rather it be secure? or would you rather it go back up in a half-assed manner? I personally would rather they take as much time as they need to ensure that it's secure, but hey that's just me...[/QUOTE]
I'd rather they take as long as they need to to get it back up and make sure it's as secure as it can be.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You know, a lot of people were surprised when they said it'd be back up within a week or two because rebuilding your entire security network from the ground up can usually take months. Yet now that it is taking longer people are bitching. The Internet never ceases to amaze me.[/QUOTE]

It could usually take months, based on what? How often are massive corporate security networks rebuilt suddenly and publicly to give this information? The internet never ceases to amaze me when people pull such facts out of thin air.

Are the game update servers still online? Just making sure because I am buying Fallout New Vegas today and I want to be sure I can fucking play it because I want to grab whatever patches there are out there for it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Are the game update servers still online? Just making sure because I am buying Fallout New Vegas today and I want to be sure I can fucking play it because I want to grab whatever patches there are out there for it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my SOCOM 4 patched the other day with no issues.

I want it back up not so much for online play, but we cancelled cable a while ago and I'm dying without my MLB.TV. I just renewed my xbox live account for the first time in over a year so my wife can get hulu on there. I wish at least they'd let us authenticate for those apps somehow.

LOG LOG, it's better than bad, it's GOOD!

Love it! I completely forgot about Ren and Stimpy!

You know I wonder how long Sony has known about their network's vulnerability? My guess is that they've know about it for awhile but ignored it because they didn't want to invest the manpower, money, and most importantly the downtime especially from the revenue generated from the store.

Now that they're down anyways they may as well take the time to do it right an revamp the whole system.

[quote name='Chitown021']

You know I wonder how long Sony has known about their network's vulnerability? My guess is that they've know about it for awhile but ignored it because they didn't want to invest the manpower, money, and most importantly the downtime especially from the revenue generated from the store.
[/QUOTE]
There is no excuse to not fix your servers if you know there is a problem. I mean seriously, I don't care what company you are, if you have all the info a hacker would need to steal your info, what right mind would not want it secure. I don't feel bad for Sony at all.

[quote name='jman619']I don't like the way that reads. Are they still trying to get certain functions up way before that like they said before?[/QUOTE]
Apparently they are trying to get functions up as they go along but at this point who knows.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Yes, my SOCOM 4 patched the other day with no issues.[/QUOTE]

That's odd. I have a few games I need to update/patch, but the PSN won't even let me do that

[quote name='mastagoalie']everyone see that may 31st is the tentative restart date for the psn?[/QUOTE]
They said that it would be fully up by the end of the month, which is what Sony announced last weekend. Everything but the PS Store is supposed to be going up first with the store going up by the end of the month, which would mean that PSN is likely to be fully up by the end of the month.

I'm not sure what's supposed to be new news here.

PS blog stated that online services would be up within the week. With the lack of update and the 3rd attack on SOE servers, the may31st is the only date consumers have to go on. May 31st is 41 days, a network down for that long will lose a good percentage of users, regardless of the freebies.

It is just that everyone thought they had a good chance of winning my contest :D

All Im saying is if they take that long they better make damn sure its air tight. I for see plenty of dicks taking a shot at their new security just to make them look more stupid. Terrible time for me to have sold my 360 and yet somehow I still managed to procrastinate on all my term papers...

[quote name='OlDirtyBastard'] and yet somehow I still managed to procrastinate on all my term papers...[/QUOTE]

Haha I get that ALL the time too XD

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']There is no excuse to not fix your servers if you know there is a problem. I mean seriously, I don't care what company you are, if you have all the info a hacker would need to steal your info, what right mind would not want it secure. I don't feel bad for Sony at all.

.[/QUOTE]

If Sony knew of this exploit/hack/vulnerability for some time and did nothing about it, it's tantamount to leaving your store unlocked with a neon sign saying come steal from me.

Anyway, when the first deadline past for the PSN to come back on, I kind of had a weird hunch/feeling this would take upwards of a month. Guess I now have confirmation. I'm sure everyone's going to want to take their swipes once it comes back up as well.

so is sony going to have to pay all the developers lost revenue for their games on the store? or are those companies going to be SOL?

6 weeks with no revenue is definitely going to affect the small companies with PSN only games...

[quote name='JSiggy']so is sony going to have to pay all the developers lost revenue for their games on the store? or are those companies going to be SOL?

6 weeks with no revenue is definitely going to affect the small companies with PSN only games...[/QUOTE]

SOL. Less they sue sony for some reason or there was something in the contract with Sony protecting them from issues like this.

[quote name='JSiggy']so is sony going to have to pay all the developers lost revenue for their games on the store? or are those companies going to be SOL?

6 weeks with no revenue is definitely going to affect the small companies with PSN only games...[/QUOTE]

PSN going down for this long (perhaps longer than the new 31 deadline) is a prime example of why games need to stay and be sold as physical entity (i.e. disc based of some sort)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']PSN going down for this long (perhaps longer than the new 31 deadline) is a prime example of why games need to stay and be sold as physical entity (i.e. disc based of some sort)[/QUOTE]
I thought the same thing, but what is the difference between that and if a fire occured at the warehouse before games are shipped? Or the machines that print the games go down for whatever reason. There is a risk inherent in everything.

Having said that I can understand why it would take this long to rebuild an entire network that serves millions of users. I can understand why some people are pissed that Sony keeps pushing it back, but to say that they are lying when they miss their target dates is just funny. Would you rather Sony had just come out from the begining and said May 31st at earliest? Doubt it. And there are many other factors in such a large corporation that could hold this process up. And wouldnt the fact that they have different PSNs in different regions make it more difficult to rebuild?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']PSN going down for this long (perhaps longer than the new 31 deadline) is a prime example of why games need to stay and be sold as physical entity (i.e. disc based of some sort)[/QUOTE]

This. Dear god this.

Also a good reason to have local multiplayer in your games instead of licensing DemonWare BS for your multiplayer netengine.

[quote name='j-cart']PS blog stated that online services would be up within the week. With the lack of update and the 3rd attack on SOE servers, the may31st is the only date consumers have to go on. May 31st is 41 days, a network down for that long will lose a good percentage of users, regardless of the freebies.

It is just that everyone thought they had a good chance of winning my contest :D[/QUOTE]

The attack on the SOE servers wasn't a separate attack. The reason they didn't know until May 1 that their had been information loss was because their servers didn't show the same signs of being breached that the PSN servers had. It was only until their engineers looked at it using information their outside security people gained from the PSN servers that they were able to determine that there was data loss. Source.

I also feel like I should link this again -http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44225/Sony-clarifies-six-week-fears. The May 31 deadline was for having PSN fully operational, and they expect to have additional elements online soon.

Also, Sony officially denies having used unpatched and unfirewalled servers http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20060661-83.html with this post http://bitmob.com/articles/detective-work-reveals-psn-servers-up-to-date lending some credibility to the statement.

wow, may 31st?! i guess im gonna send my blockbuster games back and send in my online only games for tiv's that are gonna plummet by then. ugh, i wanted to speedrun through dead rising 2 co-op while the tiv was still 30, but that runs out this weekend so i guess i will try again someday...

wow, yeah that sucks for developers of Socom and MK and maybe Brink. Online games are def getting hit bad. I dont even know what psn games were supposed to be coming out. and this extra month of psn+ sounded good when it was down for 2 weeks, but now its almost gonna be a month so we are just getting back what we lost or is it gonna be back what we lost + an extra month? ( so like 2 free months now for psn+?)

Well Brink was giong to bomb anyways, so no big deal there.

Sucks for Socom the most I'd say. MK has a ton of stuff to do offline so not a huge deal.

[quote name='wrencrest']I thought the same thing, but what is the difference between that and if a fire occured at the warehouse before games are shipped? Or the machines that print the games go down for whatever reason. There is a risk inherent in everything.

Having said that I can understand why it would take this long to rebuild an entire network that serves millions of users. I can understand why some people are pissed that Sony keeps pushing it back, but to say that they are lying when they miss their target dates is just funny. Would you rather Sony had just come out from the begining and said May 31st at earliest? Doubt it. And there are many other factors in such a large corporation that could hold this process up. And wouldnt the fact that they have different PSNs in different regions make it more difficult to rebuild?[/QUOTE]

The machines going down can be replaced/repaired and probably wouldn't be down a month, but you are right, anything has some sort of inherent risk involved. Hell, the world could blow up tomorrow without us having the slightest clue it would. Nonetheless, at least a physical copy of the online games would allow people to purchase/play them. And I've generally always been for physical distribution of games, because I like being able to resale or buy games used after the fact. Also, there's just a certain warmth from actually owning the package the game came in (though I miss the old days of items being include, such as maps, tiny nick-nacks, etc.)

[quote name='SpeedNut']This. Dear god this.

Also a good reason to have local multiplayer in your games instead of licensing DemonWare BS for your multiplayer netengine.[/QUOTE]

I miss the old days when companies actually had to program bots and taking them down with your friends (such as Red Faction 1/2 and further back). Bots were such a blast, especially when you're internet connection wasn't working/sucked/etc.

[quote name='whoknows']Well Brink was giong to bomb anyways, so no big deal there.

Sucks for Socom the most I'd say. MK has a ton of stuff to do offline so not a huge deal.[/QUOTE]

I find it odd that they keep pushing the Kevin Butler SOCOM ad. I've seen it several times over the last week or two. You'd think they'd pull their advertizing during this time - especially as that ad highlights the teamwork aspect of the game :lol:.

[quote name='io']I find it odd that they keep pushing the Kevin Butler SOCOM ad. I've seen it several times over the last week or two. You'd think they'd pull their advertizing during this time - especially as that ad highlights the teamwork aspect of the game :lol:.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that. Its usually the one I see on tv and I think... Now isn't the time to promote Socom 4. xD

[quote name='ssjmichael']You know, a lot of people were surprised when they said it'd be back up within a week or two because rebuilding your entire security network from the ground up can usually take months. Yet now that it is taking longer people are bitching. The Internet never ceases to amaze me.

I'm sure Sony could whip something up and put it back online, but would you rather it be secure? or would you rather it go back up in a half-assed manner? I personally would rather they take as much time as they need to ensure that it's secure, but hey that's just me...[/QUOTE]

Then maybe they shouldn't have said it'll be up in a week if they didn't know for sure if that was possible. Or maybe, they shouldn't have been such dumbasses in the first place and stored credit card info in plain text.

If it wasn't for Uncharted 3 and TLG, I'd love gotten rid of my PS3 by now.

You gotta wonder just a little bit, does this outage have any affect of the lifespan of the PS3 or the eventual release of the PS4?

[quote name='io']I find it odd that they keep pushing the Kevin Butler SOCOM ad. I've seen it several times over the last week or two. You'd think they'd pull their advertizing during this time - especially as that ad highlights the teamwork aspect of the game :lol:.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing especially when I saw it the same day that Sony made the announcement that our personal info was compromised. That didn't happen until a week after the incident so they had time to pull it. My favorite line is "you're only as strong as your weakest link." Apparently the weakest link was you Sony and your epic fail in network security! :lol:

Maybe it's one of those deals where they paid for the ad space months in advance so they have to run it although if that were it couldn't they put a different ad in it's place?

I remember back when I worked for Gateway several years ago shortly after 9/11 we ran an ad in a magazine that featured a plane flying between two buildings and people lit up our phones. I don't remember what the ad was about but it was just unfortunate timing. We had created the ad, paid for the space, and sent it to the printer a few months earlier.

I'm always a fan of physical copies in the Physical vs. digital debate, but there's tons of awesome games out there that would've never seen the light of day on a retail disc... There's no telling how many promising games that could have been great that ended up getting the axe because there just wasn't enough there. And even the games that are on the PSN that could've maybe been justified into making retail wouldn't have seen near the success.

Physical copies need to never cease to exist, but digital deserves it's own place as well if only for these smaller sized games from both larger and (especially)indie developers.

[quote name='Blackout']Knowing Sony, they'll do some speech at E3 saying how much of a victim they were, but somehow overcame all the obstacles to return PSN back to their valuable (lol) customers.

Id be beyond pissed if I had any sort of business relationship with Sony. It looks like PSN will be down for a month or more total. That would seriously impact my decision to do something like PS3 exlusives or even exclusive game content. If I was a small time game developer making PSN games, I would literally tell Sony to fuck themselves and jump ship to the 360.

I was thinking as well that Sony needs to work with all the game companies to promote the hell out of PSN when it returns online. Any game that had an active multiplayer community needs to have Double XP for a full week or two. Things like that need to happen.[/QUOTE]

YES please do that. Jump Ship where Microsoft charges 35-50% on total profit on sale of your game instead of Sony which charges 15-20% plus bandwidth charges. OH PLEASE BEND ME OVER WITH DEM FEES. But seriously every time I hear about PSN complaints, I just remember how much Microsoft charges and see those complaints dry up. Oh yeah, for indie games they charge even MORE.

[quote name='Vinny']Then maybe they shouldn't have said it'll be up in a week if they didn't know for sure if that was possible. Or maybe, they shouldn't have been such dumbasses in the first place and stored credit card info in plain text.

If it wasn't for Uncharted 3 and TLG, I'd love gotten rid of my PS3 by now.[/QUOTE]

Are you even aware of what the fuck they're doing?

Passwords were hashed
Credit Card information was encrypted
PSN was running latest servers

PSN with latest servers link
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1549251&postcount=491

PSN Passwords hashed
http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-national/sony-announces-playstation-network-passwords-were-hashed

Game on PC then.

[quote name='Paco']YES please do that. Jump Ship where Microsoft charges 35-50% on total profit on sale of your game instead of Sony which charges 15-20% plus bandwidth charges. OH PLEASE BEND ME OVER WITH DEM FEES. But seriously every time I hear about PSN complaints, I just remember how much Microsoft charges and see those complaints dry up. Oh yeah, for indie games they charge even MORE.[/QUOTE]

Last I remember Live hasn't been down for a couple of hours; let alone 19 days and counting. Can't remember Microsoft giving out my personal information to a bunch of hackers either.

Hopefully, they have this fixed by the time Uncharted 3 (i.e. the next PS3 game I would play) releases. Maybe will play the free games if they are good titles. Though, I have belief this will be resolved within a week of E3 so they can brag to public about overcoming their shortcomings tragedy.

[quote name='Paco']Doesn't Rearmed 2 and Final Fight require online access anyways so their games aren't playable even if someone bought em. And those other games are only worth anything online.[/QUOTE]

yep and thats why people might not be buying it in the numbers they were hoping. its freakin dumb to require people to be signed in to play games alone. not to mention capcom has been double/tripple dipping when it comes to their games. you can only pull that shit so many times before people get wise to it and decide to wait for the final definitive version or for the first version to drop in price when the other versions come out.

[quote name='lordopus99']Last I remember Live hasn't been down for a couple of hours; let alone 19 days and counting. Can't remember Microsoft giving out my personal information to a bunch of hackers either.

Hopefully, they have this fixed by the time Uncharted 3 (i.e. the next PS3 game I would play) releases. Maybe will play the free games if they are good titles. Though, I have belief this will be resolved within a week of E3 so they can brag to public about overcoming their shortcomings tragedy.[/QUOTE]

Live has never been down? It's only been down Christmas 2007, 2008 and 2009. Yet very few people remember that it was down for weeks at a time during these holidays. Not down as in completely dead, but down to the point that millions were having trouble getting on. But that doesn't count right?

And I can't remember Microsoft helping anyone either on their consumer line. Anything past repairs and they could not give a shit, and even then I doubt they give a shit. Their professional products have outstanding support though.

[quote name='lordopus99']Last I remember Live hasn't been down for a couple of hours; let alone 19 days and counting. Can't remember Microsoft giving out my personal information to a bunch of hackers either.

Hopefully, they have this fixed by the time Uncharted 3 (i.e. the next PS3 game I would play) releases. Maybe will play the free games if they are good titles. Though, I have belief this will be resolved within a week of E3 so they can brag to public about overcoming their shortcomings tragedy.[/QUOTE]

Your the same way towards PS3 that I am 360. If it wasn't for Gears 3 coming out in Sep I would have sold my 360 already. ;)

[quote name='Paco']Live has never been down? It's only been down Christmas 2007, 2008 and 2009. Yet very few people remember that it was down for weeks at a time during these holidays. Not down as in completely dead, but down to the point that millions were having trouble getting on. But that doesn't count right?

And I can't remember Microsoft helping anyone either on their consumer line. Anything past repairs and they could not give a shit, and even then I doubt they give a shit. Their professional products have outstanding support though.[/QUOTE]

People tend to forget that although it is true xbl wasn't completely down people just had a hard time signing in for a long time.

People also don't think about when there 360 dies. Your gonna be without xbl for 2-3 weeks or longer unless your a big fanboy and got 2 360's. I've had 6 360's die so I know what I'm talking about. I'm glad I wasn't much into online

play when the first 4 died on me. I would have been mad as hell.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']That's odd. I have a few games I need to update/patch, but the PSN won't even let me do that[/QUOTE]
The updates should start automatically once you pop in the disc and try to start playing it. There's no need to try to log into PSN to get the updates to download.
[quote name='j-cart']PS blog stated that online services would be up within the week. With the lack of update and the 3rd attack on SOE servers, the may31st is the only date consumers have to go on. May 31st is 41 days, a network down for that long will lose a good percentage of users, regardless of the freebies.

It is just that everyone thought they had a good chance of winning my contest :D[/QUOTE]
Hopefully all of the griefing tools will have given up and gone to XBL by the 31st if it does take that long.;) I just hope the handful of people I played some games with regularly come back.;) But XBL can have all of the wiggas from the suburbs, the screaming idiots and the people blasting their music.
:applause: Most of my games I own are physical format and the ones I have downloaded from PSN are ones sans the restrictive 'must be online to play' bullshit DRM.

Personally, i always kind of like Digital Format. Though, this is a prime example of why i like having a big collection of both Retail and Downloadable games.

[quote name='Velo214']wow, may 31st?! i guess im gonna send my blockbuster games back and send in my online only games for tiv's that are gonna plummet by then. ugh, i wanted to speedrun through dead rising 2 co-op while the tiv was still 30, but that runs out this weekend so i guess i will try again someday...[/QUOTE]
If you don't mind a UK import, Zavvi.com has the UK version for $22-ish and I believe that price is SHIPPED.

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/dead-rising-2/10042549.html

[quote name='lokizz']yep and thats why people might not be buying it in the numbers they were hoping. its freakin dumb to require people to be signed in to play games alone. not to mention capcom has been double/tripple dipping when it comes to their games. you can only pull that shit so many times before people get wise to it and decide to wait for the final definitive version or for the first version to drop in price when the other versions come out.[/QUOTE]
Capcom has been doing that since AT LEAST the Genesis/SNES gen with re-releasing shit(namely Street Fighter) as 'super/turbo/etc' editions. People still buy their shit day one, even though they know they have a tendency to release a slightly different version within a year of the initial release for close to MSRP again:roll:.

bread's done
Back