PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='whoknows']Why would PS+ get compensation anyways? It's not like it's actual access to PSN (like Xbox Live) it's just to get some deals on the store.

I see no reason why there would be compensation.[/QUOTE]

If you want to be technical, part of my psn+ cost is going towards access to Cloud game saves, which I don't have access to right now.

Sorry for not remembering where I read this (maybe N4G?) and not giving credit where credit is due, but I read that Sony is hoping to restore the Japanese servers tomorrow and the US and European servers the day after. A holiday weekend ruined but I guess I can live with that. Luckily, I didn't buy Portal 2 on release day.

[quote name='Blackout']People are paying 60 bucks plus for Socom 4, MK, Portal 2, and every other game in the PS3 library. You're paying money for half a game with no PSN.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I paid retail for Mortal Kombat and it isn't really worth it since I can't even play it online. PSN is free, but the games aren't and we expect to be able to play them online.

dammit im going through u2 withdrawls lol. this whole thing has been kinda cool it forced me to get back into some sp games and its interesting to see how everyone is reacting to it all. plus itll be interesting to see how psn is once its back up. will it be faster , will it look diff?

Know whats awesome? I had 6 days off work (Thursday through Tuesday) and had planned to play Socom. Now its looking like that entire 6 days is wiped out by this. Thats great. I realize we pay nothing for PSN and thus can't really complain when the gravy train stops running for a few days, but at the same time, I paid $60 for Socom 4, online is a huge portion of that $60, so I don't think its out of line to ask for SOMETHING in compensation for this mess. If it comes out they pulled the plug to prevent hackers from getting to our personal info, like name, address, CC#, email, etc, fine, they did their job protecting our information, but I, for one, am still quite annoyed by this outage.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']At this rate Jesus is more likely to come back today than PSN.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, PSN didn't die for your sins. It died because it was poorly-designed schlock.

[quote name='Chacrana']Keep in mind, PSN didn't die for your sins. It died because it was poorly-designed schlock.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but buying games like Fat Princess and playing MAG and Uncharted 2 online sounds like sins to me.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Perhaps, but buying games like Fat Princess and playing MAG and Uncharted 2 online sounds like sins to me.[/QUOTE]

It didn't die for those reasons. It lived for those. Which really makes it more of an antichrist.

I would be more pissed at the outage if I were a PSN+ member since they're actually losing access to something they pay a premium for (cloud data storage). As far as the rest of us freeloaders go I think you pretty much get what you pay for. If I were Sony however I would offer at least some sort of small freebee to try as a good will gesture to counteract some of the negative publicity. Give everyone a designated free download or deposit $5 credit into everyone's account so they can choose.

It wasn't hackers after all. More like pirates.

ManaKnight says:
All right
I just read on GAF that
a CFW site, since April 2nd, had a thread stickied about everyone getting tons of paid PSN content for free
which probably led to Sony shutting down PSN
and people wonder why I'm so against CFW

Makes sense to me. It was the last report I heard was people was getting psn content for free.

[quote name='Chitown021']I would be more pissed at the outage if I were a PSN+ member since they're actually losing access to something they pay a premium for (cloud data storage). As far as the rest of us freeloaders go I think you pretty much get what you pay for. If I were Sony however I would offer at least some sort of small freebee to try as a good will gesture to counteract some of the negative publicity. Give everyone a designated free download or deposit $5 credit into everyone's account so they can choose.[/QUOTE]

I don't really think you're getting what you pay for if you bought Socom 4 and can't use the online features.

I'm not saying that Sony owes people compensation or whatever, but the fact is that everyone is losing something in this deal, not just PlayStation Plus members.

[quote name='Chitown021']I would be more pissed at the outage if I were a PSN+ member since they're actually losing access to something they pay a premium for (cloud data storage). As far as the rest of us freeloaders go I think you pretty much get what you pay for. If I were Sony however I would offer at least some sort of small freebee to try as a good will gesture to counteract some of the negative publicity. Give everyone a designated free download or deposit $5 credit into everyone's account so they can choose.[/QUOTE]
We don't buy PSN+ for online features, we buy it for discounts, cloud saves, automatic downloads, and some early access. The best thing Sony can do to PS+ members is to extend deals longer by one week.

I'm a plus member and I don't feel "more pissed". I'm not even really pissed at all. Shit happens that's beyond their control sometimes. It's not like it's been a month people..If you guys can't live less than a week without online gaming then I feel sorry for you. Would it be nice if they compensated people in some way? Sure. Is it necessary? I don't think so.

imagine if anon was a sony product, and they're utilizing them as a way to bring firmware 4.0...nom nom nom conspiracy theory, gotta love them.

[quote name='jman619']It wasn't hackers after all. More like pirates.

ManaKnight says:
All right
I just read on GAF that
a CFW site, since April 2nd, had a thread stickied about everyone getting tons of paid PSN content for free

Makes sense to me. It was the last report I heard was people was getting psn content for free.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like people were able to use dev accounts (or fake dev accounts) too. This makes perfect sense for shutting down PSN and "re-building" infrastructure or whatever they're doing in this case.

[quote name='jman619']It wasn't hackers after all. More like pirates.

ManaKnight says:
All right
I just read on GAF that

Makes sense to me. It was the last report I heard was people was getting psn content for free.[/QUOTE]

But but but CFW is for Homebrew and only Homebrew. Homebrew homebrew homebrew! :roll:

Oh and did I mention homebrew?

I hope Sony sues the crap out of these fools.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm a plus member and I don't feel "more pissed". I'm not even really pissed at all. Shit happens that's beyond their control sometimes. It's not like it's been a month people..If you guys can't live less than a week without online gaming then I feel sorry for you. Would it be nice if they compensated people in some way? Sure. Is it necessary? I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more. I thought I was the only person who felt this way. I just wish they would let us know whether or not our personal info/credit card information has been compromised. This isn't as important, but I'd like to know whether or not trophy syncs and cloud saves are still good.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']We don't buy PSN+ for online features, we buy it for discounts, cloud saves, automatic downloads, and some early access. The best thing Sony can do to PS+ members is to extend deals longer by one week.[/QUOTE]

one week... NO one month.

[quote name='vlv723']They better give us some bloody compensation for this.[/QUOTE]

A $25 gift card to Chili's will work for me. Give me some wings, chips and salsa!

I love it that the douchebag Eric Lempel hasn't even said a peep on the blog, and instead has Patrick the "director" lackey posting precanned statements. It's one thing for it to be down, it's a totally different thing shitting on your customers not keeping them up to date and leveling with them in a bit of detail, progress, eta, etc. Microsoft gets it right with their relative "transparency" and access, and Sony does the typical legaleze BS.

[quote name='jman619']I agree with this. I paid retail for Mortal Kombat and it isn't really worth it since I can't even play it online. PSN is free, but the games aren't and we expect to be able to play them online.[/QUOTE]

I like how you can argue that a ps3 game isn't worth $60 without online play. Think before online gaming was something everyone was doing. You didn't have a problem paying full price for, say Mortal Kombat on the PS2, a game with no online function.

[quote name='mr ryles']I like how you can argue that a ps3 game isn't worth $60 without online play. Think before online gaming was something everyone was doing. You didn't have a problem paying full price for, say Mortal Kombat on the PS2, a game with no online function.[/QUOTE]
It also was anywhere from $10-30 cheaper for those offline games in previous generations...

well, been spending alot more time with my grrl.
omg i dont want another baby.
cmon sony get the online going again! lol

im pissed cuz all i needed was TIER1 for Medal of Honor plat, but now i have to send it back to the rentals/tiv. grrrr
why the hell is tier1 singleplayer online only?! its not multiplayer, can't i just opt out of posting leaderboard scores...grrrr

If they rebuild the PSN so that I cannot access the Japanese store and buy shit with yens, I'm going to fire my PS3 into the sun.

[quote name='mr ryles']I like how you can argue that a ps3 game isn't worth $60 without online play. Think before online gaming was something everyone was doing. You didn't have a problem paying full price for, say Mortal Kombat on the PS2, a game with no online function.[/QUOTE]
I get what you are saying, but that's an invalid argument. The times have changed. I also remember a time when I thought it was acceptable to buy games that weren't HD, or had characters models that weren't advanced enough to move their lips when they talked. The point is that products are expected to have certain features, and most are sold in a way that puts heavy emphasis on the online content.

If I were Sony I would donate $34 million to Japan ($2 for each member) and then send everybody those themes associated with the donation for free. Itd be a tax write off, give the users something (a theme and good karma) and help out a country. Win, win...win.

Also, I think theres something to the CFW explanation. For a while it was possible to get free PSN games via a method where you accessed the content directly bypassing the PSN. I wouldnt be surprised if something similar has been found and thus the only way to prevent the losses is by turning everything off. A DDOS attack is unlikely as usually you can just ban IPs which is why most of those attacks are temporary.

I really don't think Sony needs to offer compensation to the majority of the PSN users. The only users that should receive anything are DCUO people (free month), PS + members (free month), and people who have played MK, Portal 2, or SoCom on their Playstations this past week (free game theme). Hopefully this outage was a blessing in disguise for people who would have spent the entire weekend playing online games, but I doubt it.

The best sort of compensation Sony could offer would be an epic Kevin Butler commercial offering an apology and subtly poking fun at anon.

Anymore online is the norm. Your point is true,but that is really before it caught on. :roll:

Of course back in the day we didn't care since it wasn't around anyway. Back in the day of NES/Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis all my friends was around anyway and we really didn't need online. Now my friends grew up and most of them hate video games anymore so online is my only option unless I play it by myself and a fighter is extremely boring if you play it by yourself. I'm mostly a online person. I need to play Mortal Kombat online. There is only so much entertainment you can have offline with it. Unless you have friends that are still into it. To be honest and you'll mock me, but I don't care. I'm usually broke if I knew psn was gonna be down. I would have waited and got Mortal Kombat cheaper since I can't play it online anyway. 60 bucks is hard to come by this day and age.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='UberSwiss']I really don't think Sony needs to offer compensation to the majority of the PSN users. The only users that should receive anything are DCUO people (free month), PS + members (free month), and people who have played MK, Portal 2, or SoCom on their Playstations this past week (free game theme). Hopefully this outage was a blessing in disguise for people who would have spent the entire weekend playing online games, but I doubt it.

The best sort of compensation Sony could offer would be an epic Kevin Butler commercial offering an apology and subtly poking fun at anon.[/QUOTE]
So the rest of us don't deserve anything for the outage, just the people you mentioned? What kinda crap is that? They probably won't do anything to 'compensate' people and I don't expect it either, but if they do it it should be across the board.

Either way, I still laugh at all of the people who say that the online is a mandatory part of games. I guess you guys were the same people who bought into the Dreamcasts' online service last gen while the rest of us played offline same room multiplayer, huh?

It's still not a big deal to me that the service is still down, but that's cuz I have the internet to amuse me in the meantime.;)

Good games are mandatory, nothing else \\:D/

Rating games down for lack of online is one of the most retarded standards I've seen some reviewers use. Bad online? Then go ahead. But you don't go and make up flaws for a game out of thin air.

I'm off topic.

no one is getting compensated for anything. the only one with a valid arguement is DCUO. psn+ kids, youre on psn+ for free games, cloud saves, discounted games, etc... not better online functionality/connectivity or getting online in general. sony owes you nothing. you can still play your free games right? then whats the problem.

[quote name='8bitArtist']no one is getting compensated for anything. the only one with a valid arguement is DCUO. psn+ kids, youre on psn+ for free games, cloud saves, discounted games, etc... not better online functionality/connectivity or getting online in general. sony owes you nothing. you can still play your free games right? then whats the problem.[/QUOTE]

I'll settle for not having my identity stolen.

That said, there is a lot of content that is useless without PSN access- save files locked into the cloud, all the recent capcom PSN games, MAG, Warhawk, etc.

[quote name='UberSwiss']The best sort of compensation Sony could offer would be an epic Kevin Butler commercial offering an apology and subtly poking fun at anon.[/QUOTE]

no the best compensation they could give is a blowjob from that asian chick who hosts pulse. man she is unbelivably hott. at the least those of us who paid for services will get a time refund and at the most everyone will get a free game ( probably a mini or ps1 classic).

[quote name='SynGamer']Do NOT knock Phantasy Star Online! I will smite thee...[/QUOTE]

This.

I was addicted as hell to that damn game...

Not to mention PSO2 looks pretty good.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Good games are mandatory, nothing else \\:D/

Rating games down for lack of online is one of the most retarded standards I've seen some reviewers use. Bad online? Then go ahead. But you don't go and make up flaws for a game out of thin air.

I'm off topic.[/QUOTE]
Just Cause 2 should have had at least 2 player online, and not having it in this day and age should bring the score down for all reviewers. reviewing that game.
I understand online isn't everything but the only thing retarded is your post because you obviously didn't think it through.:whistle2:# Well I would say if it doesnt have online, it should have 2 player in some way on games like that.

[quote name='whoknows']And I'm sure that's a feature you use every single day.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter how often he/she uses the cloud feature. The fact of the matter is that it is a service that he/she paid for and is not currently available. I seriously can't understand how you can criticize someone for wanting to use a service they paid for.

Now to address the whole "PSN is free so you should stop complaining" argument. You people forget that free PSN is one of the selling points for the PS3 (free PSN is even advertised as a feature on the PS3 box). When a feature is listed in a product description on packaging I certainly expect that feature to be present. So it is not unreasonable to be annoyed at this extended downtime.

At the same time though, we should be mindful that this situation certainly is not a positive one for Sony either. They are missing out on digital sales during this downtime. For instance, I was going to buy Worms 2 on Wednesday night. I waited until Friday hoping PSN would be back but since it was still down I ended up buying Worms Reloaded on Steam instead.

Even so, it is Sony who is at fault in failing to protect their network and they should recompense all PS3 users who were affected by this outage. Something like a 20% discount on everything in the PSN store should be fair. It would also serve to boost sales to make up for the ones lost during the outage.

[quote name='SynGamer']Indeed it does :D http://www.pso-world.com/news/02364-phantasy-star-online-2-gameplay-video-and-screenshots

Fingers crossed they bring it to the PS3, but with constant rumors of a new SEGA console, I'm sure they'll save that for themselves.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow PSOW... been a long ass time since I have been there. And my account is still active haha.

I'm hoping it's on a console too, I could run it on my lappy, but I'd rather have it on one of my consoles.

bread's done
Back