PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So the rest of us don't deserve anything for the outage, just the people you mentioned? What kinda crap is that? They probably won't do anything to 'compensate' people and I don't expect it either, but if they do it it should be across the board.
.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, those people are the only ones that should be comped even adding the new release goers is stretching it. PSN is free and if you are not paying for some sort of service why should you get anything? Maybe Sony should give everyone a free month of PSN service and then begin charging a monthly fee to use features and play online.

Would I like something for free? Absolutely. Do I feel I'm entitled to something for free? No. I have no statistical evidence to prove this, but I doubt Sony loses a large enough percentage (if any) of customers over this PSN mess. The fact that they are creating an even more secure server is the best compensation.

[quote name='Mr. 420']Just Cause 2 should have had at least 2 player online, and not having it in this day and age should bring the score down for all reviewers. reviewing that game.
I understand online isn't everything but the only thing retarded is your post because you obviously didn't think it through.:whistle2:# Well I would say if it doesnt have online, it should have 2 player in some way on games like that.[/QUOTE]

The Last Guardian better have co-op! It would make perfect sense gameplay wise, so I don't see why we shouldn't dock it if they fail to implement a feature I personally desire!

[quote name='trogoldito']Something like a 20% discount on everything in the PSN store should be fair. It would also serve to boost sales to make up for the ones lost during the outage.[/QUOTE]
A 20% discount is still 80% too much for some of the overpriced shit on the Playstation store, especially the garbage that requires you to be online just to play it.:roll:
[quote name='UberSwiss']In all honesty, those people are the only ones that should be comped even adding the new release goers is stretching it. PSN is free and if you are not paying for some sort of service why should you get anything? Maybe Sony should give everyone a free month of PSN service and then begin charging a monthly fee to use features and play online.

Would I like something for free? Absolutely. Do I feel I'm entitled to something for free? No. I have no statistical evidence to prove this, but I doubt Sony loses a large enough percentage (if any) of customers over this PSN mess. The fact that they are creating an even more secure server is the best compensation.[/QUOTE]
Why do ANY of the PSN users deserve compensation though? I'm sure Sony has their ass covered legally in the T&C for PSN+.

As for paying for PSN service, if it were to come back and be gimped versus how it was prior, then I'd just go back to playing offline and that's that. I'm not going to pay for something that was previously free.

[quote name='UberSwiss']PSN is free and if you are not paying for some sort of service why should you get anything? [/QUOTE]

The elephant in the room here is that free PSN is PART of what you get when you pay for a PS3. PS3 has always had a larger upfront cost (for the hardware), but it can be talked down with the INCLUDED free online play and bluray (amongst other things). So yes, every single PS3 user pays for PSN. When they buy the system. That is what is offered (lets not get into hardware costs to Sony, consumers don't care). You don't get a PS3 and say "well, maybe it will work some days and maybe it won't."

I'm not saying that Sony owes anyone anything. I know things happen. I know most people break it down into two camps... people who feel entitled and people who feel like they have more sense and don't want anything. It is a lot grayer than that. But implying that people don't "deserve/pay/merit" the free online that comes with the system is silly.

All that said, I look forward to getting back to Portal 2 once Sony is ready to go.

[quote name='Saint Noir']

I'm not saying that Sony owes anyone anything. I know things happen. I know most people break it down into two camps... people who feel entitled and people who feel like they have more sense and don't want anything. It is a lot grayer than that. But implying that people don't "deserve/pay/merit" the free online that comes with the system is silly.

[/QUOTE]

I agree the situation is "grayer," but unless you have some sort of document saying PSN is always guaranteed to work (which there might be), it's really moot. If you look at the bigger picture, PSN works 358/365 days a year, that's not bad. It just so happens some of those days were consecutive.

I understand what you're saying about it being included with the system, but isn't PSN subject to change? What if one day Sony decided to start charging for their service?

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong for their opinion, I just enjoy a good argument. It distracts me from important things like homework and sleep.

207_ItonlydoesSP.gif

I am kinda annoyed with PSN being down, but honestly since I don't have to pay for it I shouldn't really complain about it. I just kinda feel limited on what I can do like I can't buy games on the psn store, and I am kinda annoyed to sign in to netflix to have to fig-git with it. Overall I am taking the PSN downtime okay, I am just playing my other consoles in the mean time and PS2 games. I think it will be back on Tuesday for my guess, and there is going to be a new rule or restriction and a new agreement we are going to have to sign to.

Toss up between CFW pirates and somebody doing a really bad thing by breaching Sony security. It's probably a bit of both.

[quote name='chakan']I scrolled through several pages. Is there a unified consensus as to what caused the outage?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Plenty of people spouting off conspiracies and "I heard from a guy who read from a guy on facebook who posted it on twitter" statements though.

It's very unlikely that Sony will ever come out and actually admit what caused this problem.

[quote name='Mad39er']Toss up between CFW pirates and somebody doing a really bad thing by breaching Sony security. It's probably a bit of both.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I thought it could have been you driving a muscle car off road in GT5 that might have severed Sony's pipe to the Internet. :whistle2:# Oops, did I say that out loud?

Wow, is it still down ??

Good thing I only use my PS3 for single-player and watching Blu-Rays or this would be very annoying.

TBH I'm really surprised it's still down, thought it would be fixed by now.

EDIT - I wonder if Sony feel less pressure to get it back up and running because it doesn't cost anything, people would be going crazy if Live was down for this long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Demon's Souls from Amazon when it was $15 last week. I told my friend I need to play it before servers go down (hopefully in the far distant future). I popped it in my PS3 on Wednesday night and after a 20 minute update, doh! can't sign in.

Timing is everything.

I wonder how Valve feels or if they care. They spent time putting this Steam crossover in and the week it was to premier its down for nearly the whole time. So much for the co-op play in Portal 2 on PS3.

[quote name='SpeedNut']
1261596481_3Fw2MnJ-L.jpg

Nice. :D[/QUOTE]

LOL, love it! I was just thinking "where is Kevin Butler touting all of the fantastic PS3 features during all of this?" The Penny Arcade guys are awesome!

[quote name='jmbreci']Funny, I thought it could have been you driving a muscle car off road in GT5 that might have severed Sony's pipe to the Internet. :whistle2:# Oops, did I say that out loud?[/QUOTE]
I did the whole race a favor by putting your Rustang where it belonged, lol. I miss racing with mah boys, they really need to hurry up and get the PSN up before my UPS stuff gets here today.

[quote name='BREVITY']I wonder how Valve feels or if they care. They spent time putting this Steam crossover in and the week it was to premier its down for nearly the whole time. So much for the co-op play in Portal 2 on PS3.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Mortal Kombat as well. There were 2 multiplatform games that came out last week, both of which had a strong PS3 marketing push with exclusives, and now major components of both games are left twisting in the wind.

I have no idea if this outage is actually causing a loss of sales for either game but I can bet that both publishers aren't happy about it.

I love the people who think Sony is taking their time here and doesnt care when they get the service back up. Really? REALLY?! I am willing to bet the Sony execs want the service back up and running ASAP. Of course this hurts sales. Of course it hurts branding. No way they want PSN down at all if they can help it. Being down this long has to be for safety concerns and Sony is doing the right thing making sure everything is secure before putting it back up. But execs have to be putting pressure on the tech team to get it done. No reason to beleive otherwise. Sony likes money (everyone does) and the longer PSN is down the more they lose.

Those of us over the age of 15 remember the single player only days so I am sure we can figure out other things to do, but the younger set...god help them!

[quote name='wrencrest']I love the people who think Sony is taking their time here and doesnt care when they get the service back up. Really? REALLY?! I am willing to bet the Sony execs want the service back up and running ASAP. Of course this hurts sales. Of course it hurts branding. No way they want PSN down at all if they can help it. Being down this long has to be for safety concerns and Sony is doing the right thing making sure everything is secure before putting it back up. But execs have to be putting pressure on the tech team to get it done. No reason to beleive otherwise. Sony likes money (everyone does) and the longer PSN is down the more they lose.

Those of us over the age of 15 remember the single player only days so I am sure we can figure out other things to do, but the younger set...god help them![/QUOTE]

No doubt it hurts branding. I hadn't thought to include that but it does raise an interesting point. In the early days of PS3vs.360, those of us who had both pretty much knew that any multiplatform games weren't worth getting on PS3.

Recently though, Sony has made great strides on getting developers to incentivize the PS3 version. Either through making the PS3 version the lead development platform or through exclusives (especially something like what Valve is doing with PS3 steam). Hell, just look at Amazon's top 3 selling games: #1 Portal 2 (PS3), #2 Portal 2 (360), #3 Mortal Kombat (PS3).

Now, with PSN being down for almost a week now, this is gonna set that back because online play and downloadable content have become such major aspects of console gaming they're almost seen as a required component. I have no doubt Sony is doing everything in their power to get PSN back up and running but consumers will be taking into account PSN's reliability in their future game purchases because frankly a week outage with little explanation is a bit disconcerting these days.

Unless of course the outage is for some way to protect us. One of the side effects that was mentioned of GeoHotz's hacking of the rootkey is that it could trick the console into accepting unofficial firmware updates. Is that what happened here? I dunno, but it has to be something major in order for them to avoid telling us what's really going on.

[quote name='MOTORCITY_MADMAN']Psnextreme says another 2-5 days :censored: Ridiculous

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/8946.html[/QUOTE]

I haven't opened my copy of Mortal Kombat that I bought on Saturday night yet and I'm seriously considering that I should exchange it for 360. If I'm not going to be able to play it online anytime soon or use any of the other online components, what's the point of keeping it?

DLC seen as a required component? Maybe when it's a FREE DLC, but most devs seem to want $10 for what amounts to shit that should've been in the game from day one(I'm looking at you Rockstar w/ your bs adding in poker n liar's dice via $10 DLC pack for RDR:bomb:) or for stuff for mp that should be able to be earned via keeping your percentages up or getting a ton of kills.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']DLC seen as a required component? Maybe when it's a FREE DLC, but most devs seem to want $10 for what amounts to shit that should've been in the game from day one(I'm looking at you Rockstar w/ your bs adding in poker n liar's dice via $10 DLC pack for RDR:bomb:) or for stuff for mp that should be able to be earned via keeping your percentages up or getting a ton of kills.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I agree but the fact of the matter is, when a game doesn't support DLC at all it's almost universally seen as lacking something.

Funny you should mention RDR too because while it did have the liar's dice DLC crap, it also had one of the best DLC's to come out last year, Undead Nightmare. The thing with DLC is that you take the good with the bad.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yep, I agree but the fact of the matter is, when a game doesn't support DLC at all it's almost universally seen as lacking something.

Funny you should mention RDR too because while it did have the liar's dice DLC crap, it also had one of the best DLC's to come out last year, Undead Nightmare. The thing with DLC is that you take the good with the bad.[/QUOTE]
I picked up the UN compilation on disc from GS used after returning some games from a glitched sale of theirs. So it cost me all of $0 out of pocket.:lol: That was the right price for the game for me.;)

I only really picked it up for the poker/dice thing anyway, but since PSN is kablooie for now I can't even do that.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I haven't opened my copy of Mortal Kombat that I bought on Saturday night yet and I'm seriously considering that I should exchange it for 360. If I'm not going to be able to play it online anytime soon or use any of the other online components, what's the point of keeping it?[/QUOTE]

easy... kratos and superior d pad.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']DLC seen as a required component? Maybe when it's a FREE DLC, but most devs seem to want $10 for what amounts to shit that should've been in the game from day one(I'm looking at you Rockstar w/ your bs adding in poker n liar's dice via $10 DLC pack for RDR:bomb:) or for stuff for mp that should be able to be earned via keeping your percentages up or getting a ton of kills.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I remember the days where you bought a game and then like 6 months they released an expansion at half price (and I mean a real game expansion). Not this nickle and dime crap.

I mean I am fine with having a pass to access online multiplayer to prevent the used game market. PC games have been doing that for ages with CD Keys in a sense. But this $1.99 for a weapon that should be free is crap.

Playstation tweeted "PSN update" with a link that basically said still not up and in progress. Gee thanks lol

I'm more entertained by the whole debacle then I would be playing some online games at this point.

If everyone loses all their trophies then this will all be worth it :D

[quote name='QiG']Playstation tweeted "update on server status" with a link that basically said still not up and in progress. Gee thanks lol[/QUOTE]

Sony can't catch a break.

Personal I'd rather have a lot of these little updates than no info for days on end. At least it lets you know they are aware we are waiting on them...

I can see why some are mad, but there wasn't much it seemed Sony could do. I'm just glad they are trying to correct it quickly. Hopefully, we hear an update sooner rather than later. For now, I'm just getting caught up on all those single player games I've neglected.

I'm for this forced shutdown in order to prevent other hiccups in their network later down the road, I just wish they'd give an indication as to their progress and possible date to which I might be able to get on to the PSN store. I know others aren't so happy, some of my friends who just bought Mortal Kombat are pissed, and actually give praise to Xbox Live, but for free service you should be able to deal with issues like these

[quote name='Takemetamars']I'm for this forced shutdown in order to prevent other hiccups in their network later down the road, I just wish they'd give an indication as to their progress and possible date to which I might be able to get on to the PSN store. I know others aren't so happy, some of my friends who just bought Mortal Kombat are pissed, and actually give praise to Xbox Live, but for free service you should be able to deal with issues like these[/QUOTE]

Except it's not free - it's more of a 'hey consumer, if you buy our games and hardware, we'll provide the network to play them on' deal. I know legally Sony has no obligation to keep the PSN online, but the PSN is still a service they're providing to their paying customers. Sure the service is 'free', but isn't access to the service implied as a feature when you buy their hardware/software?

Amazing that Sony STILL has not given a statement regarding player's personal information being at risk or stolen. I'm more pissed about that than not being able to use PSN. What a complete joke. How can a business as large as Sony after all this time still not have done so? That is completely unacceptable.

[quote name='noisesquared']Except it's not free - it's more of a 'hey consumer, if you buy our games and hardware, we'll provide the network to play them on' deal. I know legally Sony has no obligation to keep the PSN online, but the PSN is still a service they're providing to their paying customers. Sure the service is 'free', but isn't access to the service implied as a feature when you buy their hardware/software?[/QUOTE]
Actually I think they kind of do have a legality with all the publishers pushing content onto the PSN. If I was a publisher I would be pretty pissed people wont be buying my product for days, especially if I just released on PSN.

I mean I was going to buy that new Might and Magic puzzle game but I can't since the PSN is down.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually I think they kind of do have a legality with all the publishers pushing content onto the PSN. If I was a publisher I would be pretty pissed people wont be buying my product for days, especially if I just released on PSN.

I mean I was going to buy that new Might and Magic puzzle game but I can't since the PSN is down.[/QUOTE]

Their TOS with the publishers probably protects them from this- if not, i'm sure they are insured against this sort of thing.

[quote name='BREVITY']I wonder how Valve feels or if they care. They spent time putting this Steam crossover in and the week it was to premier its down for nearly the whole time. So much for the co-op play in Portal 2 on PS3.[/QUOTE]
I don't know how much truth there is to it- but some places are indicating that this security gap was caused by PSN linking services such as Steam or Gamespy. If that's the case, the network went down 1 day after the steam link went public. I would think Valve can't really say anything about it. (personally, i don't believe that's the situation though).

I think at this point Sony is making the best of a bad situation. I'm sure the PSN has been vulnerable for a long time but Sony didn't want to take the heat for shutting the whole thing down to make the repairs. Now that they have an excuse for it they might as well shut the whole operation down, rebuild it, and put it back up in better shape to (hopefully) prevent this from happening in the future.

I see the point that some are making about PSN not really being free. Since the system's launch it was one of the highly promoted features to justify the console's higher cost. Also it depends on the title but when you pay $60 for a brand new game the on-line component is a pretty significant portion of the game. It's not like you can choose to pay $30 for the single player only version of Call of Duty or $60 for the "complete" edition.

I have to admit I haven't been much into the FPS but I did have a lot of fun playing Ghostbusters, Castle Crashers, and up until this past week I was really getting into Uncharted 2 multiplayer on PSN.

I rarely buy multiplatform games on PS3 because Im addicted to achievements and I have more friends on Live. Decided to buy MK and Portal on PS3 last week though. This is weak.

If it weren't so annoying the timing of this would be fairly amusing. In the timeline of the Sarah Conner Chronicles show, Skynet goes online April 19, 2011. One day later the PSN is down due to an "external intrusion" and then one day after that Judgment Day was to occur. So the only logical reason why PSN is still down is Sony is fighting the good fight to contain Skynet. If PSN goes back online, Skynet will infect all the PS3s connected to PSN and network them together to form a massive, nation-sized supercomputer to execute Judgment Day.

[quote name='guardian_owl']If it weren't so annoying the timing of this would be fairly amusing. In the timeline of the Sarah Conner Chronicles show, Skynet goes online April 19, 2011. One day later the PSN is down due to an "external intrusion" and then one day after that Judgment Day was to occur. So the only logical reason why PSN is still down is Sony is fighting the good fight to contain Skynet. If PSN goes back online, Skynet will infect all the PS3s connected to PSN and network them together to form a massive, nation-sized supercomputer to execute Judgment Day.[/QUOTE]

or...

In the Terminator storyline, Skynet was originally installed by the military to control the national arsenal on August 4, 1997. On August 29 it gained self-awareness.

Just sayin'.

There have been many Judgment days over the years, it constantly shifts due to A.)they want to do more Terminator stories, and B.)time travel in the course of the movies and series alters the future timeline.

I remember when the news and everyone went crazy last year when the network was down for one day. that was kinda funny cuz it was a leap year mistake and it's like really. this is getting crazy going almost a week.

[quote name='SynGamer']or...

In the Terminator storyline, Skynet was originally installed by the military to control the national arsenal on August 4, 1997. On August 29 it gained self-awareness.

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

That was for either the original Terminator movie or T2. It keeps getting moved due to the stories. As of the TV show, it was this April.

I had about 5 minutes to kill so I tried out the demo of explodemon that's been sitting around forever. It said it needed to d/l an update before it started. Strangely enough it was able to do that.

I guess the update/patches service and PSN aren't connected?

bread's done
Back