PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='jman619']Is this legit at all?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was on at least 5 different *chans and I saw that vid everywhere.
I even checked out /v/ to confirm. It's legit, boyo.

Homeland Security and FBI are looking into it now.

The situation surrounding the PSN outage and data breach just got real. How real? The US government is now involved. The "Computer Emergency Readiness Team, "under the Department of Homeland Security, " is working with law enforcement, international partners and Sony to assess the situation," DHS spokesperson Chris Ortman told NextGov.

Did you know we had a Computer Emergency Readiness Team? That team's role is to work with affected companies to improve security and restore service, and share information with other security-related organizations to prevent future breaches.

Another federal agency is also looking into it, with a more punitive mindset. "The FBI is aware of the reports concerning the alleged intrusion into the Sony on line game server and we have been in contact with Sony concerning this matter," FBI Special Agent Darrell Foxworth told Kotaku. "We are presently reviewing the available information in an effort to determine the facts and circumstances concerning this alleged criminal activity."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/29/homeland-security-fbi-looking-into-psn-breach/

[quote name='dante2007']First you're a fan boy if I ever seen one lol

And I think Sony is doing just fine with working on the problem, you might not work and have any money of your own but someone jackhole is hacking in the network shutting down all the way seems smart till they can deal with it. Even though I think the FBI should get involved when it comes to people stealing Personal Info and Money they probaly wont.

So QQ some more little fan boy :)[/QUOTE]

So someone does not agree with you so you call them a fanboy. Great debate tactics. I dont own a PS3, I am in the process of selling my Wii(sold my 360s after a few RRoD which I was called a Sony fanboy for doing), if you use my CML function where my whole collection is you will see I own about 250 PS2 games. Last gen I was called a Sony fanboy for saying they had the best line up which is now a given truth. Next to Diablo series the R&C and Sly Cooper games are probaly my fav ever. I know we are on the internet but Christ cant anyone debate like an adult anymore. Why does everyone have to name call and give such extream examples.

You and others may not like it, but it is just common sense that if there is even a hint of risk to your customers you warn them...Sony did not do that. Now grow up please.

[quote name='FroMann']Homeland Security and FBI are looking into it now.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/29/homeland-security-fbi-looking-into-psn-breach/[/QUOTE]

So the FBI is involved, Senators have wrote Sony about the issue and the British government is already planning on levying fines at Sony over this.....yet we still have children here calling anyone that questions Sony or complains about the risk they were put in is a fanboy.

Again its pretty proven at this point in time that even if most or all of us never find ourselves victims of this that Sony handled this horribly. Its kind of just become a staple for Sony to make stupid fucking decisions. They have some of the best games on the planet...but cant do shit else.

And I think Sony is doing just fine with working on the problem, you might not work and have any money of your own but someone jackhole is hacking in the network shutting down all the way seems smart till they can deal with it. Even though I think the FBI should get involved when it comes to people stealing Personal Info and Money they probaly wont.

Troll much?

what exactly did he say that makes him a fanboy?

Let me see if I have this right: First Sony says PSN is under maintenance, but then they changed that to a hacker attacked them.

Meanwhile, Anon says they didn't do it yet that video a few posts back says they did it?

This is confusing. I want to believe the truth is out there. Where's Mulder and Scully when you need them?

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I hate every Anonymous video I have ever seen.[/QUOTE]

They're a bunch of whiny, idiotic brats.

[quote name='Cage017']

Meanwhile, Anon says they didn't do it yet that video a few posts back says they did it?

[/QUOTE]

They said they did the previous PSN attack BEFORE the blackout.
It knocked out PSN for a DAY. The next week, this happened, Anon denies doing the current attack because it's punishing PSN users too, which is against their cause. They only wanna punish Sony for suing Geohot and removing OtherOS.

When you start up netflix, and it asks you to sign in, hit yes. When it say cannot connect, hit circle, you'll then see the netflix browser show up in the back round, and it'll ask you to sign in again, hit yes and when it fails for the second time hit circle.

You should now be able to watch everything. I'm using it as we speak.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You forgot inconsistent and hypocritical.[/QUOTE]
They're semi-organized and all have different views and agendas.
Pro tip: You never talk to the same Anon twice. ;)

[quote name='UncleBob']lol... it's the unit used to hack the PSN - he's trying to unload it on some unsuspecting individual. :D (I tease... :))[/QUOTE]

You must have read my mind. I was going to joke and say that he was the leader and that is why he is selling the ps3. Of course he was joking in the first place, but still. :lol:

wow so many pages later and people still wanna blame Anon...lol

PSN was asking for this or so has been stated by multiple groups and Homebrew PS3 Dev sites.

[user12] I also know that the server that does the x-i-5 tickets is a bit more tight about the ciphers than any other system in sonyland
[user12] if sony is watching this channel they should know that running an older version of apache on a redhat server with known vulnerabilities is not wise, especially when that server freely reports its version and its the auth server
[user2] its not old version, they just didnt update the banner
[user12] I consider apache 2.2.15 old
[user2] which server
[user12] it also has known vulnerabilities
[user12] auth.np.ac.playstation.net
[user2] ya the displayed version u see via banner is not the real version
[user12] unless they updated it in the last couple weeks
[user12] I doubt that since its not trivial to change that
[user12] its a bit more invasive than just setting it to Prod like they do on their other servers
[user11] you know, watching this conversation makes me think about whether it was a good idea after all to buy a couple of games from psn using a visa card
[user2] its just backported security patches
[user11] i did remove all my info after downloading the games though
[user12] that is just psn not the store
[user12] they are running linux 2.6.9-2.6.24 on that box too
[user12] that too is old
[user2] lol @ buying on store
[user11] yes, but their general attitude towards security just seems…ugh
[user2] sony wont misuse the info i bet xD
[user2] but just prevent using cfw’s of unknown ppl
[user2] even better from ALL ppl
[user2] make ur own lol
[user12] so I doubt that they are spoofing the network stack on that box as well
[user12] my guess is that it really is undermaintained “it works why change anything”
[user2] could be
[user12] sony really should update that stuff to something more current
[user2] ya
[user2] but imagine
[user2] psn == 45 environments
[user2] and for example
[user2] every env has 50 subdomains
[user2] to external machines
[user2] its rly rly huge
[user2] who wants to do this xD
[user2] ppl r lazy
[user2] wont change

I'm concerned. I got rid of my ps3 about 8-12 months ago. When I had ps3, I never used a credit card for anything on it. Do I have anything to worry about? My psn ID was/is ThrashersHockey and I never used it for anything else, just ps3. However, my main email account is associated with ps3.

[quote name='Capocci 007']I'm concerned. I got rid of my ps3 about 8-12 months ago. When I had ps3, I never used a credit card for anything on it. Do I have anything to worry about? My psn ID was/is ThrashersHockey and I never used it for anything else, just ps3. However, my main email account is associated with ps3.[/QUOTE]

Did you use the same password on ps3 for other stuff? If the answer is yes then you should just change those. Otherwise you have nothing you should worry about.

you have nothing to worry about.
You didn't put your CC# in, so it's totally safe.
But if you did put your real home address, don't be surprised if you get a call from the FBI or a box of dildos. ;)

[quote name='Oaxan']Dude, that chatlog is obviously fake, just saying.[/QUOTE]

Here's the full log

hxxp://psx-scene.com/forums/attachments/f6/26964-sony-admits-psn-personal-data-not-encrypted-psnhackerirclog.txt

Hate to say it but when it comes to underground happenings I'd place my money on system hack sites before i would company sponsored sites like destructoid and the rest. The PS3 homebrew community has been working on getting there users online with jailbroken systems ... weeks before the PSN blackout they had gotten access to the PSN Dev servers. Wouldn't surprise me at all if when probing for penetration tests to allow jailbroken systems on PSN someone found a loop hole... something that mainstream sites won't mention

[quote name='jman619']Did you use the same password on ps3 for other stuff? If the answer is yes then you should just change those. Otherwise you have nothing you should worry about.[/QUOTE]

Define other stuff?

When I sign up for things I always use the same Yahoo email and password. The password that I used for my yahoo email is exactly the same pass word I use for everything else. Not anymore though. Early today I changed that. I gave myself a new yahoo password. So basically I have a top tier password that is used for my yahoo mail acount only. And then I have a lower tier password which is exactly the same password used for everything else I'm apart of like facebook, twitter, forums etc...

Top tier password- only used for my main email account
Lower tier password- the same password used for facebook, forums, xbox 360, ps3, and so on.

So by other stuff did you mean those that I mentioned? I think I should mention that I have an Amazon account and the password I use for that is my lower tier password. Should I also switch my Amazon account to my top tier password, or make a whole new password in general for that? What should I do with my lower tier passwords now since theyre all the same with ps3 password

[quote name='Capocci 007']Define other stuff?

When I sign up for things I always use the same Yahoo email and password. The password that I used for my yahoo email is exactly the same pass word I use for everything else. Not anymore though. Early today I changed that. I gave myself a new yahoo password. So basically I have a top tier password that is used for my yahoo mail acount only. And then I have a lower tier password which is exactly the same password used for everything else I'm apart of like facebook, twitter, forums etc...

Top tier password- only used for my main email account
Lower tier password- the same password used for facebook, forums, xbox 360, ps3, and so on.

So by other stuff did you mean those that I mentioned? I think I should mention that I have an Amazon account and the password I use for that is my lower tier password. Should I also switch my Amazon account to my top tier password, or make a whole new password in general for that? What should I do with my lower tier passwords now since theyre all the same with ps3 password[/QUOTE]

As long as your passwords to amazon and such isn't the exact same one you used for the ps3. I wouldn't worry about it, but now if its the exact same pass I would just change it to something else.

[quote name='jman619']As long as your passwords to amazon and such isn't the exact same one you used for the ps3. I wouldn't worry about it, but now if its the exact same pass I would just change it to something else.[/QUOTE]

It's the same as my ps3... for example say my pasword was 123 (obviously it's not)... that 123 password is used for ps3, facebook, twitter, forums, amazon etc...

so should I change the "123" password for all those sites to a newer password? or just amazon

[quote name='Capocci 007']It's the same as my ps3... for example say my pasword was 123 (obviously it's not)... that 123 password is used for ps3, facebook, twitter, forums, amazon etc...

so should I change the "123" password for all those sites to a newer password? or just amazon[/QUOTE]I changed all mine.

[quote name='Capocci 007']It's the same as my ps3... for example say my pasword was 123 (obviously it's not)... that 123 password is used for ps3, facebook, twitter, forums, amazon etc...

so should I change the "123" password for all those sites to a newer password? or just amazon[/QUOTE]

Unless you use your email address or the same username as PSN at those sites then I don't think it will matter much if you change them or not.

I really don't see anything happening with any accounts we have, or even our credit cards but I guess we'll have to wait and see

I only changed sites that had the same username and password. Only ended up having to change my Gmail and my Best Buy account. I seriously doubt hackers would want to steal a gamefaqs account

[quote name='Chitown021']Do games need the PSN to download updates or just an internet connection?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it requires the PSN.

[quote name='Chitown021']Do games need the PSN to download updates or just an internet connection?[/QUOTE]
Just an internet connection, as my copy of Mortal Kombat began downloading an update the first time I popped it into the system after getting it earlier this week.

[quote name='typical guy']I'm sure it requires the PSN.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same but we're wrong, you can still update games. I just updated Costume Quest last night when I started playing it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Just an internet connection, as my copy of Mortal Kombat began downloading an update the first time I popped it into the system after getting it earlier this week.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info IATCG. I didn't have any clue about that.

Cool. Thanks for the info Cheapest. I was thinking of starting RE5 and I'm sure there have been updates released. I didn't want to start it and not be able to update it.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']wow so many pages later and people still wanna blame Anon...lol

PSN was asking for this or so has been stated by multiple groups and Homebrew PS3 Dev sites.[/QUOTE]

Posted the link a few pages back... and it actually has the usernames of the individuals involved.

so should I change the "123" password for all those sites to a newer password? or just amazon[/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K95SXe3pZoY

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Just an internet connection, as my copy of Mortal Kombat began downloading an update the first time I popped it into the system after getting it earlier this week.[/QUOTE]

Seconded... as I started Dead to Rights: Retribution last night (because I'm apparently glutton for punishment) and it had an update that downloaded successfully.

It's about time the FBI gets involved!!!

fullbloodeditalians.jpg

:lol: Homeland Insecurities involvement can only lead to a good resolution.

After all, all of the other Bush II era programs have been smashing successes.:roll:

Raise the PSN terror alert level to fruity shocking chartreuse.:razz:

bread's done
Back