PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

I received the 'free fraud monitoring' email from Sony earlier today....and promptly deleted it. I never had my debit card/credit card on my account and I never will, so no need for it imo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I received the 'free fraud monitoring' email from Sony earlier today....and promptly deleted it. I never had my debit card/credit card on my account and I never will, so no need for it imo.[/QUOTE]

They still have your name, street address, date of birth, and email address. Even without a card, identity thieves could still do some damage with that info.

[quote name='laaj']They still have your name, street address, date of birth, and email address. Even without a card, identity thieves could still do some damage with that info.[/QUOTE]

You can get that info online from any number of sources.

[quote name='timesplitt']maybe next gen they will include a blood sample and a nongreasy fingerprint sample and a photo fax[/QUOTE]

the fingerprint is possibly some laptops have it that you need a thumb print to access the computer.

[quote name='timesplitt']maybe next gen they will include a blood sample and a nongreasy fingerprint sample and a photo fax[/QUOTE]

Dont forget the blood test, and the feces sample

[quote name='Skaughtto']The sketchiest DLC are the ~100kb downloads that seem to unlock massive amounts of content that were most likely provided with the disc.

It feels like buying a house and having to pay again in order to open up individual rooms.[/QUOTE] A lot of those are unlocking content that's not on the disc but that you've already downloaded via updates. I think they do that so you can play online with people who have bought the content even if you haven't.

Stupid question alert:

How do you get the free games if the PSN store is... "undergoing maintenance (forever)"... ?

I did search back a little, but there's a lot of "noise"... : Puts on flame suit :

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I received the 'free fraud monitoring' email from Sony earlier today....and promptly deleted it. I never had my debit card/credit card on my account and I never will, so no need for it imo.[/QUOTE]

Thats one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Especially considering you are "Cheapest", why would you turn down something free?

As someone pointed out, even if you didn't have your stuff stolen, fraud isnt rocket science and chances are your info is out there somewhere. Why not take free protection?

Heck, I wasnt even worried about this intrusion into the PSN because I still have protection from when Best Buy had my info stolen.

Plus considering you're just getting a promo code to use on the site, and it's worth $120 if purchased, it's possible you could sell it on ebay. Even if you get $10 for it, it's still better than nothing.

[quote name='laaj']They still have your name, street address, date of birth, and email address. Even without a card, identity thieves could still do some damage with that info.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall ever entering a street address, and I always lie about my birthdate. The email addy goes to a generic gmail account with a fake name on it as well....How much damage can they do with no CC info and the othe false info?

[quote name='praxus07']I don't recall ever entering a street address, and I always lie about my birthdate. The email addy goes to a generic gmail account with a fake name on it as well....How much damage can they do with no CC info and the othe false info?[/QUOTE]

Not much. I forgot about the secret password recovery answers. Can't remember if PSN ever asked for them but hackers could compromise your other accounts even after you change the passwords using answers like, what is your mother's maiden name.

It isn't just the passwords people should be changing, password recovery answers also needs to be changed.

In the US, you're allowed one free credit report with each of the three major credit rating agencies. So you can manually check your credit every 4 months anyway.

[quote name='laaj']Not much. I forgot about the secret password recovery answers. Can't remember if PSN ever asked for them but hackers could compromise your other accounts even after you change the passwords using answers like, what is your mother's maiden name.

It isn't just the passwords people should be changing, password recovery answers also needs to be changed.[/QUOTE]

I looked around in account settings for it, but never saw an option to be able to change your secret question/answer. As far as I know, PSN never used those.

Also, has anyone signed up for the ID protection yet? Usually those places ask for a CC# and you SSN# to be able to "thoroughly" protect you, and theres no way in hell I'm giving them either.

[quote name='Skaughtto']The sketchiest DLC are the ~100kb downloads that seem to unlock massive amounts of content that were most likely provided with the disc.

It feels like buying a house and having to pay again in order to open up individual rooms.[/QUOTE]
Except when you buy a house you negotiate the price based on what is in the listing and is being offered. If you were told that a room was bolted shut and off limits when negotiating the price, then you would price the house accordingly.

As far as a game goes. If you dont like the content being offered, you dont have to buy it or you can wait for a price drop. If they happen to have some locked content on the disc that you dont know about it is okay as they did not tell you that it was part of the package when you bought it anyway. The price was therefore "negotiated" based on the unlocked content anyway.

90% of the time my name/address/dob/etc is all fake info.

I believe up until about a month or two ago(whenever they sent that undersized PS Rewards shirt:roll:) I was Hermann Munster 1313 Mockingbird Lane in Dover, DE.

So unless they could glean all of my REAL info by just using my email addy(main one)that's on my main PSN account, then I have a feeling I'm pretty safe.:razz:
[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Thats one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Especially considering you are "Cheapest", why would you turn down something free?

As someone pointed out, even if you didn't have your stuff stolen, fraud isnt rocket science and chances are your info is out there somewhere. Why not take free protection?

Heck, I wasnt even worried about this intrusion into the PSN because I still have protection from when Best Buy had my info stolen.[/QUOTE]
See above.:razz: Besides which, I'm pretty sure the 'protection' program will require a shitton of personal info and a cc/debit card to be entered. I'm not about to give any company I know I won't wanna do biz with after the free period my info in the event they try to pull an ECA and don't let you just cancel easily.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Besides which, I'm pretty sure the 'protection' program will require a shitton of personal info and a cc/debit card to be entered. I'm not about to give any company I know I won't wanna do biz with after the free period my info in the event they try to pull an ECA and don't let you just cancel easily.[/QUOTE]

I love how that entire line of reasoning is based on assumptions about an email you never read.

Im curious how much your paranoia costs you each year? Do you never order from places like Amazon? How do you actually receive items if you are constantly using different names and addresses? I ask because I used fake info for a lot of things but eventually gave it up because most companies will check your payment info against your card info and decline if it doesnt match.

I also worry that pretending you are safe because you use fake info seems like asking for trouble. It only takes one leak and your info is out for good. Youve done 90 some deals on CAG, what makes you think your info isnt already out there? Are you able to use fake info when cashing USPS money orders?

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I love how that entire line of reasoning is based on assumptions about an email you never read.

Im curious how much your paranoia costs you each year? Do you never order from places like Amazon? How do you actually receive items if you are constantly using different names and addresses? I ask because I used fake info for a lot of things but eventually gave it up because most companies will check your payment info against your card info and decline if it doesnt match.

I also worry that pretending you are safe because you use fake info seems like asking for trouble. It only takes one leak and your info is out for good. Youve done 90 some deals on CAG, what makes you think your info isnt already out there? Are you able to use fake info when cashing USPS money orders?[/QUOTE]
I have ordered stuff from Amazon and other sites and I DO use my info then, but for the PS3 I've used fake shit 90+% of the time.

As for my info being out there, I don't doubt it, but I also have no real credit score to speak of. I buy everything just about with cash.

Either way, the program they're offering just doesn't apply to me imo and I don't feel I need it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have ordered stuff from Amazon and other sites and I DO use my info then, but for the PS3 I've used fake shit 90+% of the time.

As for my info being out there, I don't doubt it, but I also have no real credit score to speak of. I buy everything just about with cash.

Either way, the program they're offering just doesn't apply to me imo and I don't feel I need it.[/QUOTE]

You are fascinating.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']When the hell is the PS store coming up? I thought it was suppose to be up a couple days ago. :([/QUOTE]
According to sony never!!!!!!!!!! but possibly next tuesday! hopefully

I don't like the idea of accepting their 'protection plan' because in a court of law they could make the case that it absolves them of any wrongdoing. That and I simply feel less secure if some company is constantly monitoring 'my' actions. I take enough precautions that I've never had a single issue and don't foresee any despite the breach. Sony can't even tell me if anything was stolen, so I'll just step up my own efforts until I feel assured nothing is going to come of it.

[quote name='Jodou']I don't like the idea of accepting their 'protection plan' because in a court of law they could make the case that it absolves them of any wrongdoing. That and I simply feel less secure if some company is constantly monitoring 'my' actions. I take enough precautions that I've never had a single issue and don't foresee any despite the breach. Sony can't even tell me if anything was stolen, so I'll just step up my own efforts until I feel assured nothing is going to come of it.[/QUOTE]

What are your own precautions?

[quote name='WongTongSoup']According to sony never!!!!!!!!!! but possibly next tuesday! hopefully[/QUOTE]

Well next Tuesday is the official deadline Sony set for themselves. Will they meet it, I doubt not.

[quote name='Scorch']How do we claim the free games? I guess that's going to happen when the PSN store comes back up?[/QUOTE]

my guess is they will have the welcome back program in its own section with the available games listed. you pick your poison and then wait for it to dl. now if only theyd play the theme to welcome back kotter when you log into it lol.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well next Tuesday is the official deadline Sony set for themselves. Will they meet it, I doubt not.[/QUOTE]
If you doubt they won't meet it, you think the store will be back up by Tuesday then?

I want the store back up. I have been waiting to get PSP Adhoc Party for some time. Is there a legit place to get it besides the PSN store? It is free after all.

Sony still aims to restore PlayStation network in full by end-May

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/26/idINIndia-57296320110526

TOKYO | Thu May 26, 2011 2:26pm IST

(Reuters) - Sony Corp said on Thursday it still aims to restore its PlayStation network in full by the end of May, adding that if it is later it would only be by a few days.

[quote name='Skaughtto']Sony still aims to restore PlayStation network in full by end-May

(Reuters) - Sony Corp said on Thursday it still aims to restore its PlayStation network in full by the end of May, adding that if it is later it would only be by a few days.
[/QUOTE]

God damnit. I knew it wouldn't be up by this tuesday.

[quote name='Skaughtto']Sony still aims to restore PlayStation network in full by end-May

[/QUOTE]

What is their source?

Siliconera just posted that Sony has finally announced the Japan and other Asian "Welcome Back" programs. Bother areas get a similar choose two from each list.

Japan will have:

PS3:
The Last Guy
Loco Roco Cocoreccho!
Wipeout HD
Echochrome
Hustler King

PSP:
What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?!
LittleBigPlanet
Loco Roco: Midnight Carnival
Everybody's Stress Buster
Patapon 2

1 Free Month of PS Plus and 1 Free Month of Toro Station

What looks to be the rest of the Asia region will have:

PS3:
The Last Guy (Chinese/English Version)
Come on, LocoRoco!! BuuBuu Cocoreccho (Chinese/English Version)
Trashbox (Chinese/English Version)
Hustle King (English Version)
WipEout HD Bundle (English Version)

PSP:
Everybody’s Stress Buster (Chinese/English Version)
LittleBigPlanet (Chinese/English Version)
LocoRoco: Midnight Carnival (Chinese/English Version)
Modnation Racers (Chinese/English Version)

1 Free Month of PS Plus
Some Items for PS Home and a “Dokodemo Issyo Spring Theme”

Neither has had their PSN brought back up (PS HK's last post on the subject was the Hirai video from half a month ago), so theres no date on the store's return yet. However it does look like the PSN itself should start going up for Japan starting tomorrow.

[quote name='mwynn']What is their source?[/QUOTE]Probably the same source as these guys got it from:

---------------------

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/05/playstation-network-restoration/

Sony: We’ll Restore PSN By May 31, Unless We Don’t

According to some Japanese sources, Sony’s long-promised date of May 31 for the restoration of all PlayStation Network services now comes with some caveats.

In a presentation for investors on Thursday following the release of its fiscal year 2010 results, a Sony representative commented on the status of its PlayStation Network online service.

“We have not changed our target date of full restoration within the month of May,” AV Watch quotes a Sony representative as saying. “In the U.S. and Europe, service has been partially restored. In Japan and Asia, while we cannot give a precise date, we hope to restore service in the coming days. Anyway, it’ll be in May. And even if we’re late on that, it’ll only be by a matter of days.”

In other words, PlayStation Network will definitely absolutely be restored by May 31, unless it isn’t.

PlayStation Network’s outage entered its sixth week Thursday, following a security breach in mid-April that caused Sony to take the service down for extensive fixes. PSN is partially online in the U.S. and Europe, but remains fully offline in Asia.

Update: Sony said Friday that it would begin to restore partial PSN services in Asia on May 28.
----------------

News groups are saying next Wednesday it'll be up after the planned maintenance on Tuesday.

[quote name='Skaughtto']Probably the same source as these guys got it from:

---------------------

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/05/playstation-network-restoration/

Sony: We’ll Restore PSN By May 31, Unless We Don’t

According to some Japanese sources, Sony’s long-promised date of May 31 for the restoration of all PlayStation Network services now comes with some caveats.

In a presentation for investors on Thursday following the release of its fiscal year 2010 results, a Sony representative commented on the status of its PlayStation Network online service.

“We have not changed our target date of full restoration within the month of May,” AV Watch quotes a Sony representative as saying. “In the U.S. and Europe, service has been partially restored. In Japan and Asia, while we cannot give a precise date, we hope to restore service in the coming days. Anyway, it’ll be in May. And even if we’re late on that, it’ll only be by a matter of days.”

In other words, PlayStation Network will definitely absolutely be restored by May 31, unless it isn’t.

PlayStation Network’s outage entered its sixth week Thursday, following a security breach in mid-April that caused Sony to take the service down for extensive fixes. PSN is partially online in the U.S. and Europe, but remains fully offline in Asia.

Update: Sony said Friday that it would begin to restore partial PSN services in Asia on May 28.
----------------

News groups are saying next Wednesday it'll be up after the planned maintenance on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

They have no source posted either. Do any internet journalists quote sources? The only place I see them is joblo.com. I like how they say a Sony rep. Write a quote and then do not credit it to anyone.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Atari's twitter account is saying the store is not going to be ready for the May 31 release of Daggerdale...
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/27/atari-daggerdale-to-miss-may-31-psn-launch-network-not-gonna/[/QUOTE]

See their update:

Update: The PlayStation Store's revival might not miss its targeted launch date after all. An Atari representative responded to us, explaining, "Our recent tweet was not intended to speak to Sony's service coming back online or being delayed, but to inform our fans that we expect Daggerdale to be placed in PSN's publishing queue behind other titles that were meant to launch during the service outage and that it might not hit the May 31 date."

[quote name='ssjmichael']See their update:

Update: The PlayStation Store's revival might not miss its targeted launch date after all. An Atari representative responded to us, explaining, "Our recent tweet was not intended to speak to Sony's service coming back online or being delayed, but to inform our fans that we expect Daggerdale to be placed in PSN's publishing queue behind other titles that were meant to launch during the service outage and that it might not hit the May 31 date."[/QUOTE]

That's understandable. Sony has over a month of content to go through so it makes sense. Although still, I have little to no hope it will be back by tuesday.

If the PS Store comes back by the deadline, Daggerdale would be delayed because they're releasing stuff in the order that it was originally intended to be released. Atari wouldn't know when it's going back up anyway, so I don't know why Joystiq ran with that story.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Siliconera just posted that Sony has finally announced the Japan and other Asian "Welcome Back" programs. Bother areas get a similar choose two from each list.

Japan will have:

PS3:
The Last Guy
Loco Roco Cocoreccho!
Wipeout HD
Echochrome
Hustler King

PSP:
What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?!
LittleBigPlanet
Loco Roco: Midnight Carnival
Everybody's Stress Buster
Patapon 2

1 Free Month of PS Plus and 1 Free Month of Toro Station

What looks to be the rest of the Asia region will have:

PS3:
The Last Guy (Chinese/English Version)
Come on, LocoRoco!! BuuBuu Cocoreccho (Chinese/English Version)
Trashbox (Chinese/English Version)
Hustle King (English Version)
WipEout HD Bundle (English Version)

PSP:
Everybody’s Stress Buster (Chinese/English Version)
LittleBigPlanet (Chinese/English Version)
LocoRoco: Midnight Carnival (Chinese/English Version)
Modnation Racers (Chinese/English Version)

1 Free Month of PS Plus
Some Items for PS Home and a “Dokodemo Issyo Spring Theme”

Neither has had their PSN brought back up (PS HK's last post on the subject was the Hirai video from half a month ago), so theres no date on the store's return yet. However it does look like the PSN itself should start going up for Japan starting tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

damn and people were complaining about the eu/am welcome back offerings we deffinetly got better game options.

(note: some of you may have briefly noticed this post a few days ago but I quickly deleted it after thinking that I found the answer to my own question. I didn't.)

My ability to connect to PSN has been totally borked since it came back up. 95% of attempts to log in time out (and the error codes are generic and unhelpful like 80710B23, 8002E801, etc.), and with only one or two exceptions the few successful logins I've had won't load my friends list or sync my trophies and I get booted after a few minutes. The internet browser won't even load regardless of whether I'm logged in or not. I've done all the tech advice like assigning my PS3 a static internal IP and putting it in a DMZ, but nothing works.

Things went perfectly after I switched to ethernet for a couple of days, but my PS3 has suddenly stopped recognizing any ethernet cable I plug into it. I'm also getting random popups about "media server errors" or "DLNA errors" which I never got before PSN went down, though I'm starting to suspect that this might all just be a bad coincidence and that my PS3 is starting to die :bomb:

bread's done
Back