PSN Network Error

[quote name='smarkbran']How many charges did you see on your account, and for how much? Im just curious if the amounts are different?[/QUOTE]

I had only one charge for 5.00 transaction date 2/23 posted on 2/24.
The only thing i did on 2/23 was download The Tester and visit playstion Home. I didnt try to purchase anything or add money to my wallet. A complete phantom charge.

If this is a hardware issue, there are only going to be two ways to fix this. Either a system update with a USB thumb drive or by mailing the systems into Sony. Those are literally our only solutions at this point.

Maybe this is a conspiracy to reign in all the 60gb consoles.

wtf is this about charges? i never used my cc on my ps3 so i assume i'm good, but people are getting weird charges? this is news to me...

[quote name='Thomas96']What are you guys going to play in the meanwhile? xbox, nes, snes, DC...etc?[/QUOTE]

PC, PS2, Xbox, DS, and Wii.

[quote name='yohsh']
Fat people sleep on their sides from my experience.

LOL we all knew this was coming.

watch
[/QUOTE]

That was very creative.

Last edited by a moderator:
So whats the end game here? What do I have to worry about happening to my 60gb? Just that I can't get online for awhile or is this error fucking things up in a more serious way?

I guess I am late to the party. Love all the videos I see. And IGN just rocks with the Prince track. Well it would have been nice to finish Heavy Rain... Hopefully it comes back in the next couple days.

I guess it is back to Xbox 360... I guess that is why we pay all this money to them for XBL so downtime is limited to an hour or so since they have more staff working to fix issues; granted, xbox 360 has never had offline games being affected.

[quote name='WrexManor']
Maybe this is a conspiracy to reign in all the 60gb consoles.[/QUOTE]

perhaps, but whats funny, is the sole reason we all want our 60gbs is for the BC (which I bet we only use 1% of the time :lol: ) so even with this, they will still work for that AND still play movies fine..

yeah, dropping money sucks on a new system, but you could always regulate your 60gb to just serve for BC and Blu Rays, get a slim and only use it for games..who knows..but I will be pissed since I upgraded to a 500gb hard drive and fell in love w/ my PS3 all over again, seems updating drives on slims ain't easy.

I guess in retrospect my PS3 couldn't have picked a better time to go YLOD and be in for service. (Thinnest of silver linings) I'm hoping they fix it by the time I get it back.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']Boy im gonna be sounding like a big jerk here but, I am so HAPPY i own me one of them PS3 Slims :D

But seriously, if this problem doesnt fix, sony better send everyone who has gone through this garbage a free PS3 Slim if their old system in.[/QUOTE]

I would *hate* this solution. Slims are nice, but I spent $600 back in the day for full backwards compatibility. If they have some sweeping date/time bug that kills all their old systems, then I'd expect equal functionality in return.

My guess is they are going to have to release a firmware update, that includes feb leap year logic, and we'll all have to install it from USB stick.

Can you *imagine* if this happened just one generation ago, before consoles had widespread and common firmware updates? All these consoles would be dead because of whatever issue this is (leap year mishandled despite not being a leapyear?).

TL: DR this thread.

Is the problem only for BC Phat PS3's? I tested it to see if it would happen on my phat ps3 (bought Nov.2008) and I was able to play warhawk online just fine. Logged into psn no problems at all.

Per Kotaku...

Sony U.S. silent since Sunday, but PlayStation Europe Tweets three times in the past hour: "Rest assured, we've many people working on fixing this issue. As soon as we have some news, we'll let you know." and then "Please don't trust info regarding this issue unless from an official Sony source. On Twitter this means @PlayStationEU and @SonyPlayStation." and then "We will be updating you the second we have some news."

Virsago, my 80 GB Phat from the same time has the issue.

I'd rather not tweet like a whiner... I am sure Sony will make good on whatever it is... as long as PS3s aren't bricked (which I find highly unlikely).

This sounds like a possible explanation (from efnet):

Well the gist is that the ARM SYSCON CPU that is used to power up the front panel of the ps3, that is responsible for doing things like sleep mode, eject, RTC etc. Is an old batch that sony picked up from the shelf like other manufacturers that has that calendar year bug regarding feburary 29th on certain periods. Causing the ps3 system clock and the real time clock to desync, messing up security measures like Digital Rights management software and sometimes games that relies on clocks for whatever reason. As well as signing up to the playstation network… This CPU is always on even when your PS3 isn’t plugged

This is the one of the same type of CPUs that is powering up mobile devices like zune and blackberries, they have been affected with this bug, so they done some software patches. A syscon update can also fix this problem

The Slims ps3s aren’t affected because they use a newer up to date revision on the syscon cpu that fixes this bug.

A quick way to fix this is to remove the RTC battery for at least 5-10 min and plug it back in, you will see the date and time reset, and voila…

BTW all this was quoted from some ps3 hardware gurus and tested by various of peeps on efnet, all thanks to them for the information!

As of last night, i couldn't sign onto PSN, getting the same error... I have the MGS gunmetal grey phat PS3. I didn't play any games last night though, but yeah, it sucks big time! My trophies better not be corrupted!

[quote name='FroMann']@8bitArtist
Your a few posts too late.[/QUOTE]
We're going to see plenty of reposts for a while since this thread is moving fast and few people are actually reading. Tha fat guy, Prince 1999 jokes (I was first dammit...I think?), that "it only does nothing" graphic, etc. Fortunately it's all pretty funny even if it's repeating.

But, I suspect a lot of the humor may vanish if it turns out that it is an "unfixable" hardware issue that requires Sony mailing you something / you mailing something to Sony.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I suspect a lot of the humor may vanish if it turns out that it is an "unfixable" hardware issue that requires Sony mailing you something / you mailing something to Sony.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly the battery thing works... so it should not be unfixable... I am waiting for official Sony word though... wish they would say something.

It would really suck if this somehow became a hardware issue and our PS3s would have to be fixed. Seeing how people are taking batteries out of their PS3s to have them work.

People are saying NOT to turn on your PS3 if you have an affected unit (the "fat" ones)... that can supposedly corrupt your trophy and save files.

Man, I really hope I didn't fuck anything up. I turned on my PS3 last night.

[quote name='Vinny']People are saying NOT to turn on your PS3 if you have an affected unit (the "fat" ones)... that can supposedly corrupt your trophy and save files.

Man, I really hope I didn't fuck anything up. I turned on my PS3 last night.[/QUOTE]
I turned mine on 5 times and its fine. The only corrupted data I have is a missing dynamic theme. Don't start up any games though. That is whats leading to people losing trophies. (they can still be synced up later though)

ahhh they better just fix it soon! Final Fantasy XIII comes out next Tuesday and I am not going to play it on my 360. I'm assuming FFXIII needs to sync with the PS3 bios clock. Before we all start removing our batteries. we should wait and see what sony has to say...

-40GB Fat Ps3

WOW. so, i just had to turn on my ps3 to see if it was affected by this. i work weekends, so the last time i had it on was saturday night. i turn on my ps3, i see my date is 3/1 and i sign right into PSN (im the only one online. hahaha).

i have an 80gb phat model with the silver front panel. bought it may of 2009.

[quote name='hungryheepo']ahhh they better just fix it soon! Final Fantasy XIII comes out next Tuesday and I am not going to play it on my 360. I'm assuming FFXIII needs to sync with the PS3 bios clock. Before we all start removing our batteries. we should wait and see what sony has to say...

-40GB Fat Ps3[/QUOTE]

I am hoping they will release an update that fixes this.

Still no fix, eh? Well, as long as they have it up their time this morning, I'm O.K. with it. Everywhere you go, people are up in arms and rightfully so.

So, is there a list of games that can't be played right now if you have an affected system?

Heavy Rain has been mentioned multiple times because of dynamic trophy support.

I think people are really blowing it out of proportion though. I don't even recall people getting so up in arms when MS had that huge outage, and that lasted weeks if not months off and on. And that's for a service they're paying for. This has been a day or less, two at most right now and they're working on it. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but some people need to chill out about this.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I think people are really blowing it out of proportion though. I don't even recall people getting so up in arms when MS had that huge outage, and that lasted weeks if not months off and on. And that's for a service they're paying for. This has been a day or less, two at most right now and they're working on it. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but some people need to chill out about this.[/QUOTE]

At least with the LIVE problem, you could play single player games offline. I have a brand new copy of Heavy Rain that is sitting unopened, pissing me off.

[quote name='raarar']What if this is some publicity stunt to let us know it's 1999 and Dreamcast games are coming to PSN?[/QUOTE]

That would be hilarious.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I think people are really blowing it out of proportion though. I don't even recall people getting so up in arms when MS had that huge outage, and that lasted weeks if not months off and on. And that's for a service they're paying for. This has been a day or less, two at most right now and they're working on it. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but some people need to chill out about this.[/QUOTE]

--how can you blow it out of proportion when your game console that you may have spent anywhere from $299 to $599 on suddenly locks you out?
--People were super pissed about the XBL outage.
--The XBL outage didn't prevent you from playing offline games (except Gears of War on Windows...but I think I'm the only person in the world that actually bought that tripe)

[quote name='ninja dog'](except Gears of War on Windows...but I think I'm the only person in the world that actually bought that tripe)[/QUOTE]

I bought it too. Have you seen the Terminator FPS mod that's coming out? Holy hell it looks amazing (check it out on Youtube).

Developers have said this is causing their coding to go into a constant reboot cycle. I wonder what games this will mess up. FF13 and God of War are already in the bag, as is Yakuza 3.. I wonder if this will hurt 3D Dot Game Heroes :(

[quote name='ninja dog']--how can you blow it out of proportion when your game console that you may have spent anywhere from $299 to $599 on suddenly locks you out? [/QUOTE]

By acting like a little girl? I think it sucks, but there is such thing as an overreaction in ANY situation.

During the MS outage people could still play online, it was just really spotty. What bugs me about the current issue is that Sony hasn't been very vocal about the issues. I kept wondering why none of my co-workers were playing MAG last night, now I know due to Joystiq and CAG.

As long as it gets fixed and my data stays intact, I'm fine with it. After finishing Bioshock 2, I wasn't playing anything on my PS3 anyway.

*phew* kinda freaked why my fat60 wouldnt connect. looked up the 8001050f and was hearing stories of bricked units. zoomed over to cag to post on the mw2 thread about not being on when i spoted this one.

looks like im not the only one having problems. GO-go good ol' ps2!

[quote name='SirMikael']During the MS outage people could still play online, it was just really spotty. What bugs me about the current issue is that Sony hasn't been very vocal about the issues. I kept wondering why none of my co-workers were playing MAG last night, now I know due to Joystiq and CAG.[/QUOTE]

They haven't been that vocal because it happened on a Sunday when most of their staff are at home. They've put out a few statements to gaming websites already and have been using twitter to post updates. I'm sure they'll post something more official a bit later today at SCEA.

bread's done
Back