PSN Off-Topic - Happy Thanksgiving Chumps and Chumpettes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the fine print on the website, you can not. I was going to do that for one I had expiring, but after reading that just went ahead and got an SD card for the kids tablet.
Did you try using it on a GC online despite the fine print? I could have sworn someone successfully did that recently without issue. :whistle2:k

Did you try using it on a GC online despite the fine print? I could have sworn someone successfully did that recently without issue. :whistle2:k
Nahh, I realized I would probably prefer the $10 PSN card for $5 anyway if I didn't have something else I needed for cheap from BB. At that time, I was planning to get a PS4 camera or PS3 which went on sale the next week. Turns out with the 15% off thing from Target, I preferred going that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the fine print on the website, you can not. I was going to do that for one I had expiring, but after reading that just went ahead and got an SD card for the kids tablet.
I think the fine print is right in this case - you can use bby gift cards to buy more bby gift cards (which hilariously gives rz points, thus the 'gift card consolidation' trick) but I think I remember rz certs not working.

Though the super spiffy edition with DLC is out for $30 and I imagine around the holiday times it will plunge to the $15 range.

I loved 2, but had difficulty getting into 3. Supposedly 4 in closer in vein to crackdown as it is set in a computer so you have matrix-like super powers.
I played/beat both 3 and 4. 3 on PS+ and 4 on XBox360 (Redbox for a weekend). I thought 4 was just more of the same. Just more super powers. I liked 3 a bit better but I took my time with 3. I rushed through 4. Looking forward to playing it again and doing more of the side stuff.

Speaking of Clerks being great. Clerks 2 is actually pretty great as well.

I concur on The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Good stuff!

Weird I thought it was limit one on the Saints Row 4 thing but it is allowing me to put a second one in the cart.  For $7.99.  I ordered this on Monday or Tuesday.

These days I literally watch at most one movie per year if any. I haven't seen many of these movies you guys are talking about, except somehow I've seen rushmore multiple times.

so far this year I watched anchorman 2. a classic undoubtedly on par with everything you guys are talking about.
This is me. I don't get to see anything until it comes on bluray and even then we don't have enough time to get around to much. And most of my new movies are cartoons, which I'm sure you can relate to.

in all honesty I didn't like the 2nd one really at all. I have no idea if it was well received or not, but it didn't work for me. first one is dope on a rope.
THIS. Although I have to say the theatrical cut is much better than the extended R-rated version. I bought it because I heard good things about it and I loved the first one, but I couldn't decide which version to watch. I looked online and the first two reviews I saw said that the R-rated version was better which is a load of horseshit. It is the same movie for the most part but a lot of the jokes are substituted with B-material. There was a song that wasn't in the theatrical that was good, but other than that a complete waste of time.

I was pretty pissed when I started watching the theatrical and saw that it was infinitely better, but by then the movie was pretty much ruined for me.

Trade in your PC and sell ur Steam account.
Is there actually a halfway decent way to really do this? I realize it's against Steam policy but I'm pretty sure I'm done with PC gaming at this point in time.

The Rookie is a good sports movie.

seinfeld.gif
I might have been a bit hasty here, as I forgot something very important:

Moneyball is awesome.

Is there actually a halfway decent way to really do this? I realize it's against Steam policy but I'm pretty sure I'm done with PC gaming at this point in time.

The Rookie is a good sports movie.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to sell my xbl account without risking getting my ebay account banned or having to deal with cl. there's just SOOO much stuff on there I almost hate to see it go to waste - it has like 70 or 80 games and like $95 spacebucks.

Since I don't have a true top 5 for books and movies since I average a book read a week and 3-4 movies watched this is what jumps out to me as if its on I'll watch it every time.

Movies:

Dirty Dancing

Forest Gump

The Princess Bride

Terminator 2

Godfather 2

Books:

Replay

The Stand

Lemony Snickett Series

Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series

Maze Runner Series
I had an ex from 7 or so years ago who used to read those Anita books, doesn't that main character fuck literally every type of were-animal possible? I remember teasing her relentlessly.

No, and there's a very good chance it would come back to bite you if you tried.
Yeah I kind of assumed that. I'm ok with keeping it and maybe someday I'll go back to it but wouldn't mind an option to let it go. Maybe someday we'll have real rights over our digital goods.

I would assume people are doing it though with sites like this:

http://www.playerauctions.com/

It's hard to complain though as I've only spent $258.38 for 88 games on STEAM which was less than I paid for my PS4.

Looking at my list the only games I spent over $10 on, which is too much, were:

Batman Arkham Aslyum $13.60

Batman Arkham City $10.19

Street Fighter IV $10.20

@affa 2001 is easily one of the most boring movies I have ever seen and it pains me to admit it. Had to watch in 3 sittings. I want to "get" Kubrick but I don't. Not Clockwork, not The Shining, and certainly not Eyes Wide Shut. It sucks because I can recognize the skill and erudition required to make movies like that but they put to me to sleep.
I've seen 2001 around 5 times, and for 4 of them I've watched it in 2 or 3 pieces. It's understandable (and fortunately the film has well defined 'break' points. I do the same thing with Citizen Kane. Clockwork Orange has slow pacing at times too. The Shining is just amazing. Eyes Wide Shut was a work in progress, sadly.

Our attention spans have been destroyed by television and the internet. Pacing in movies has accelerated so much (cuts, edits, abbreviated plot, etc) that now it's really hard to watch some older films. 70's films are particularly affected because they had glacial pacing. I recently watched Sharkey's Machine (Burt Reynolds) and there was like a 10 minute stake out scene of someone eating, sleeping, etc that nearly put me to sleep. I mean, it did put Reynolds to sleep at the end of the scene. Something like that would never make it to the final cut today.

Oh, and I wasn't kidding about Ebert's commentary on Citizen Kane. It's brilliant. There's a million things happening in that film from a 'newly invented in film' perspective that modern eyes simply can't see because we're so used to it. Having Ebert point out the historic relevance of every scene was eye opening.

It's too early in the morning and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet for any sort of lists.

Taste is mostly arbitrary anyway.

I gotta go play MPQ on my phone.

Just read the trophy list for Injustice and there's a lot of good boosting ones. Anyone else grab the Vita version that would wanna boost some of those sometime during the evening hours?

I enjoy slower paced movies too, not just fast paced action films. One semi-recent one I really liked was Meek's Cutoff. It is slow, yes, but super tense throughout. Pretty great film.

Maybe because I'm just watching it now but True Detective on HBO is definitely a slower paced TV show. Granted it's only 8 episodes and I'm only on 3 or 4 but so far it's slow going. It's really good though.

On the a Saints Row topic, I absolutely loved 3 and hated 4. 4 wasn't more of the same, it was completely different. The superpowers changed everything that was great about the 3rd. For me, 4 was like a crappy superhero game. 3 was like GTA with more excitement and over the top action sequences replacing the old fetch quests.

Maybe because I'm just watching it now but True Detective on HBO is definitely a slower paced TV show. Granted it's only 8 episodes and I'm only on 3 or 4 but so far it's slow going. It's really good though.
Stick with it. Great show.

Lets see..

Top 5 Movies

The Usual Suspects

Heat

Friday

The Wood

LOTR: Two Towers

Top 5 Sports Movies

Varsity Blues

Remember The Titans

Major League

Mighty Ducks 2

Any Given Sunday

Gaming news...Wasn't going to go for the plat in Rayman Origins at first because it was going to take so long, but actually enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would and finished it up the other night.  Started playing Luftrausers, don't see myself putting too much time into that, not really my game and the controls are a bit annoying.  TxK, however, am digging that a lot so far.

Still trying to work through my PS3 backlog.  Recommendation out of the following:

Bioshock 1

Fallout 3

Ni No Kuni

Metro: Last Light

Remember Me

Hitman: Absolution

It definitely picks up towards the end. Only bad thing about that show was that it's only 8 episodes.

Lets see..

Top 5 Movies
The Usual Suspects
Heat
Friday
The Wood
LOTR: Two Towers

Top 5 Sports Movies
Varsity Blues
Remember The Titans
Major League
Mighty Ducks 2
Any Given Sunday

Gaming news...Wasn't going to go for the plat in Rayman Origins at first because it was going to take so long, but actually enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would and finished it up the other night. Started playing Luftrausers, don't see myself putting too much time into that, not really my game and the controls are a bit annoying. TxK, however, am digging that a lot so far.

Still trying to work through my PS3 backlog. Recommendation out of the following:

Bioshock 1
Fallout 3
Ni No Kuni
Remember Me
You need to tell us what you're going for first. Just a shortish game, or the best of the bunch? I'd vote Bioshock first. Shortest finish won ld probably be Remember Me if you don't fall asleep very ten minutes.

[quote name="PapiChullo" post="11952658" timestamp="1406218898"]
Still trying to work through my PS3 backlog. Recommendation out of the following:

Bioshock 1
Fallout 3
Ni No Kuni
Remember Me
Hitman: Absolution[/quote]

Bioshock.

that 2k bioshock tease ruined all hope of me starting the game until I know what's up. if I could potentially play on vita or ps4 I'd definitely hold off.

Bioshock 1

Fallout 3

Ni No Kuni

Remember Me

BioShock, although I would also recommend FO3, Ni No Kuni, and Remember Me. FO3 and Ni No Kuni are pretty long games. FO3 is one of my favorite games but still behind BioShock; I platted it on my old PSN ID and completed the GOTY on 360 but anytime someone mentions it I want to complete it on my new PSN.

I haven't played Last Light or Absolution.

Saints Row is the shit

also I 'beat' the Destiny beta last night. Awesome. We had a team of 3, all different classes. It was cool.

Pink haired chic is coming over tomorrow to dye my girl's hair pink too ;)

that 2k bioshock tease ruined all hope of me starting the game until I know what's up. if I could potentially play on vita or ps4 I'd definitely hold off.
This is the very reason I haven't started up Sleeping Dogs yet. I wish they'd just go ahead and confirm or deny it already.

Hoop Dreamz? C'mon son

0Cmnv.png
Hoop Dreams in one of the best documentaries ever made.

Haha. I know it seems out of place. But not lying when I say it changed my life. Shit is powerful, son.

And your excessive use of "doe" belies your taste. Those are a great movies. Just saw Raging Bull.

@affa 2001 is easily one of the most boring movies I have ever seen and it pains me to admit it. Had to watch in 3 sittings. I want to "get" Kubrick but I don't. Not Clockwork, not The Shining, and certainly not Eyes Wide Shut. It sucks because I can recognize the skill and erudition required to make movies like that but they put to me to sleep.

Only thing I can agree with is Barry Lyndon. It's wonderfully quirky. I started off not liking it but for some reason it drew me in.
If you can't dig Clockwork, then I don't think you'll get into Kubrick. 2001 isn't an easy film to watch, either you'll love it or you'll hate it.

My sister watched Gilmore Girls and I would catch a bit of it here and there. It had the same problem except that every response was too stupid to have been thought of that quickly rather than too witty.
Gilmore Girls is the absolute epitome of this. They talk so unreasonably fast. It's completely unbelievable.

Dat mom doe.

Tyler, is this a reasonable summary of the issues with DF B2? Trying to decide whether I should go on from Book 1 which I'll probably finish today, or if I should not bother at all unless there's a patch:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/dragon-fantasy-book-ii/210128-crashes-bugs-glitches.html
The game does do some of those things. There are times when there's a minimal (less than a second) stutter after pressing X that I got used to pretty quickly. Didn't notice any music issues or enemies disappearing. It only acted like it was going to freeze on me a couple times near the end.

It crashed on me 3 times, but twice was in the exact same spot and by avoiding that enemy I avoided the crash. The one other crash was a legit crash that I couldn't replicate. But the game does do a little auto-save almost every time you change screens, so I lost a couple minutes of progress and that's it.

The game isn't great, certain areas drag on too long, the battle system isn't a whole lot of fun, you start at like level 25 which I didn't care for, the NPC's who give you missions aren't identified so you have to keep talking to NPC's if you forgot who gave you a mission, the catching monsters aspect is unnecessary and frustrating at times, and the spells and items menus are unintuitive (prepare for a lot of scrolling).

The game is in playable shape now, but I'm not sure I'd recommend actually playing it unless you want an easy platinum. 5.5/10 is what I'd give it. It does a couple things right but a lot more things wrong.

Hmmm...I'm actually kind of disappointed Sony has to pay out more for the outage.  I thought the Welcome Back program was fairly generous.  And I'm not a big fan of Sony having to spend money on stuff like this, they're not exactly rolling in it over there.

I had an ex from 7 or so years ago who used to read those Anita books, doesn't that main character fuck literally every type of were-animal possible? I remember teasing her relentlessly.
Yes she does. It's supernatural smut books

Which is why I am one of those weird people who always watches movies and TV shows with subtitles if they are available so I don't have to worry about being able to understand what they are speaking.
I'm going to start doing this with things like Sherlock and Luther. I know I'm missing funny quips and stuff because, especially in Sherlock, the speak quickly. Their accents are just a bit too harsh for me to comprehend everything.

Hmmm...I'm actually kind of disappointed Sony has to pay out more for the outage. I thought the Welcome Back program was fairly generous. And I'm not a big fan of Sony having to spend money on stuff like this, they're not exactly rolling in it over there.
I thought if you took one of the free games you get nothing additional? I took Infamous which oddly enough I am actually playing now. And that most if not all the 15 million additional is going to people who actually lost their identities?

Nevermind I see even those like me who got one free game will get another.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/23/court-approves-sony-settlement-in-2011-data-breach-case.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back