PSN Weekly Deals - 11/13: Game Show & Persona Sale! 11/19: PS+ on Vita Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Welcome to the best thread for all of the deals on games, add-ons, and other stuff in the PlayStation Store both on and off of PSN.

Index
Current Deals
Upcoming Deals & PlayStation Plus Schedule
Bundles & Vita Discounts
Persistent PlayStation Plus Deals
Alternate Deals
Frequently Asked Questions

Current Deals (Full Update Here) - Store Usually Updates Every Tuesday Between 2-6 EST

Key: * - New This Week, * - Expires With Next Update, * - Permanent Price Drop

Bundles
Game Show Party Bundle - $9.99 - Includes Family Feud, Press Your Luck, and The Price is Right *

PS3
Catherine - $19.99
Choplifter HD - $2.99 *
Dragon's Lair - $4.99 *
Family Feud - $4.99 *
Family Feud Decades - $4.99 *
Hollywood Squares - $4.99 *
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - $59.99 - Pre-order w/Exclusive Theme & Pre-order Costumes - Out 11/20 *
Press Your Luck - $4.99 *
The Price is Right - $4.99 *
The Price is Right Decades - $4.99 *
Ricochet HD - $2.49
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: FES - $4.99
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - $4.99 *

Add-ons
007 Legends - 007 Pack - Free *
007 Legends - Nemesis Pack - Free *
007 Legends - Stealth Pack - Free *
DJ Hero - Hard Edge Mix Pack - $2.99
Guitar Hero III - Guitar Virtuoso Track Pack - $3.13
Guitar Hero 5 - Lynyrd Skynyrd Pack - $2.75
Guitar Hero World Tour - Hendrix Track Pack - $2.75
Guitar Hero World Tour - Hendrix Track Pack 2 - $2.75
Mugen Souls - Jiggly Transmission and Equipment Pack 7 - Free *
Mugen Souls - Jiggly Transmission and Equipment Pack 8 - Free *
Rock Band - Various Add-ons (Link for full list) - $0.99 to $9.99
Sniper Elite V2 - Multiplayer Expansion - Free *

PSP
The Red Star - $4.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona - $9.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 2: Innocent Sin - $14.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 Portable - $9.99

Vita
Frobisher Says! - Free
Treasures Of Montezuma Blitz - Free - 152 MB

Vita Add-ons
Street Fighter X Tekken - Special Color Palette 2 - Free - Cross Buy *
Street Fighter X Tekken - Special Color Palette 3 - Free - Cross Buy *

Music
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Soundtrack - $5.99 **

PlayStation Plus

PS3 Deals
Absolute Supercars - $7.99 - 20% Off *
Choplifter HD - $2.69 **
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds Complete Collection - $19.99 - 20% Off
Machinarium - $6.99 - 30% Off *
Super Stacker Party - $0.89 - 10% Off **

Free Games (Don't Argue About This, Please)
BloodRayne: Betrayal - 961 MB
Double Dragon Neon - 1.9 GB
Infamous 2 - 15 GB
The King of Fighters XIII - 2.2 GB
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 4.8 GB
LittleBigPlanet Sackboys' Prehistoric Moves - Requires Move - Location: PS3 Games > By Genre > PlayStation Move Games
Outland - 1.2 GB
PayDay: The Heist - 2.2 GB
Quantum Conundrum - 1.6 GB *
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - 14 GB
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition - 7538 MB
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 176 MB

Themes
Abstract Art - Dynamic
Assassin's Creed Revelations - Dynamic
Cuckoo - Dynamic
Daytona USA
Double Dragon Neon - Dynamic
Dragon - Dynamic
Hell Yeah! - Dynamic
The House of the Dead III - Dynamic
The House of the Dead 4 - Dynamic
I Am Alive - Dynamic
inFamous: Festival of Blood - Dynamic
Jet Set Radio - Dynamic
Leap Year - Dynamic
Mexican Skulls - Dynamic
PlayStation Plus - Dynamic
Robot - Dynamic
Samurai - Dynamic
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 - Dynamic
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Dynamic
Tales from Space: About a Blob
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown - Dynamic

Armageddon Riders (3)
Cool Cat
Daytona USA (5)
Dead Cloud
Double Dragon Neon (7)
Fat Princess (2)
Green Hamster
Hell Yeah! (4)
The House of the Dead III (3)
The House of the Dead 4 (3)
Jet Set Radio (6)
LittleBigPlanet (2)
Mutant Skull
Pink Hamster
PlayStation B-boy (3)
Resident Evil 5
Section 8: Prejudice Bundle
Squirrel
Stick Up Kid
Street Fighter X Tekken
Street Fighter 2
Tank Commander
Top Dawg
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (20)
Warriors Orochi 3

I'll be filling this thread out a bit more as we go and I'll answer questions whenever I can. Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kirbith']So for anyone who has bought a code from gamestop for a PSN game - how long did it take you after buying it online for gamestop to email you the code? It's been about 12 hours so far and I got a confirmation email immediately saying the codes would be in a separate email but no sign of that one yet.[/QUOTE]

I bought a PSP game code on a Sunday a few weeks ago and did not receive the code until Tuesday morning. They're not always models of efficiency.

Just my opinion for those considering FF Tactics...

I bought it for the PS1 the day it came out. One of my favorite games of all time HOWEVER, if you have a choice between getting it on the PS3 or getting the actual PSP War of the Lions version...go with the PSP version. The dialogue is a thousand times better as they rewrote the entire script. Very Shakespeare-like. Love, love, LOVE that version. And you can sink stupid hours into it with the way the classes can be customized. Amazing game.

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']I bought a PSP game code on a Sunday a few weeks ago and did not receive the code until Tuesday morning. They're not always models of efficiency.[/QUOTE]

It once took 4 whole days and several emails back and forth for Gamestop to send me a 1600 MSP code.

[quote name='Kirbith']So for anyone who has bought a code from gamestop for a PSN game - how long did it take you after buying it online for gamestop to email you the code? It's been about 12 hours so far and I got a confirmation email immediately saying the codes would be in a separate email but no sign of that one yet.[/QUOTE]

Try Best Buy next time. I've bought a few $20 PSN codes from them and they have always emailed the code within 15-20 minutes.

[quote name='Tygamr']The PS1 FF games don't really have noticeable load times, but that's mainly because they do some kind of effect before the battle (i.e. Swirling, breaking glass, etc.). Dissidia 012 and Dissidia have decent load times on the PSP, but that's fairly understandable. They aren't very long IMO. FF IV on the PSP has load times as well, but they're hidden by the "glass breaking effect". The main FF games seem to have the shortest load times, while the spin-offs have longer load times. Almost forgot- the main FF games sometimes use FMVs to cover up load times, sometimes when entering new areas.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I've played most of these games when they released and just remember getting annoyed with loading.

Found an old IGN article about Final Fantasy series. So far i played US releases of 1-7. When they released on PSP didn't they redo the numbering? Now i gotta figure out which ones i really didn't play...

http://psx.ign.com/articles/077/077806p1.html

Final Fantasy: The Series
FINAL FANTASY
Released in Japan for Famicom in 1987. Released in the US for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1990.
FINAL FANTASY II
Released exclusively in Japan for Famicom in 1988.
FINAL FANTASY III
Released exclusively in Japan for Famicom in 1990.
FINAL FANTASY IV
Released in Japan for Super Famicom in 1991. An "Easy Version" was released in the US as FINAL FANTASY II for the Super Nintendo later that year. Re-released exclusively in Japan for PlayStation. Later included in FINAL FANTASY Collection.
FINAL FANTASY V
Released in Japan for Super Famicom in December 1992. Re-released in Japan for PlayStation in March 1998. Later included in FINAL FANTASY Collection in March 1999. Released in the US for PlayStation included in FINAL FANTASY Anthology in October 1999.
FINAL FANTASY VI
Released in Japan for Super Famicom in April 1994. Released in the US as FINAL FANTASY III for Super Nintendo later that year. Re-released in Japan for PlayStation in March 1999. Later included in FINAL FANTASY Collection. Released in the US for PlayStation included in FINAL FANTASY Anthology.
FINAL FANTASY VII
Released in the US for PlayStation, September 7, 1997. Released for the PC on June 25, 1998. Released in Japan for PlayStation in January 1997. Also, it was re-released exclusively in Japan as "FINAL FANTASY VII International" in October 1997.
FINAL FANTASY VIII
Released in the US for PlayStation, September 7, 1999. Released for the PC on January 25, 2000. Released in Japan for PlayStation in February 1999.

THE FUTURE OF FINAL FANTASY

FINAL FANTASY IX
In development, and scheduled to be released in Japan for PlayStation, summer 2000. An unannounced date of "fall" (September or October 2000) should be the date FFIX arrives in the US on PlayStation.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Are the FF sale prices going to be PSN+ only or for us regular folks too?[/QUOTE]
The list I made has prices for both.

[quote name='Japakneez']So far i played US releases of 1-7. When they released on PSP didn't they redo the numbering? Now i gotta figure out which ones i really didn't play...[/QUOTE]

The US snes releases for FF II and III were really installments IV and VI of the original series. Since then (such as in the psp releases) they've gone back to accurately numbering the releases according to the original series.

So the next sale will make my final fantasy total be:
PSN: Origins(1 and 2), FFV, FFVI, FFVII
PS1: VIII and IX
PS2: X, XII
X360: XIII
DS: III, IV

Definitely advise people get PS+, even if the fee is a bit of a turnoff. Between my purchases from the Gamer's Choice Awards and my anticipated haul from the FF sale next week, my three month membership will have paid itself off with the increased discount on purchases.

sweet. I was only missing a couple FF's for my PSP/VITA collection and I can get them now. Sucks, only one i'm missing is FF 3. If they would put that up I could have pretty much every past generation FF on my Vita at all times.

Ok, folks, I need a definite answer here. Should I get FFT: WotL? Some people here are calling it "unplayable", but after checking around a few forums, it seems that the lag and stuttering issues aren't as bad as they're made out to be. I know someone with the PSP version, who said it was amazing, but unfortunately I'm not sure I can trust him due to a wee bit o' fanboyism.

So what's the straight CAG opinion? If I want to play FFT (which I've never done before) will this be a good purchase?

Have you played a strategy-RPG like Tactics Ogre or Disgaea before? That's what it's like, it's not very similar to other FF titles. If it's going to be $5, I say take the plunge.

[quote name='whitereflection']Have you played a strategy-RPG like Tactics Ogre or Disgaea before? That's what it's like, it's not very similar to other FF titles. If it's going to be $5, I say take the plunge.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I love these types of games, just never played FFT. My concerns aren't so much with "Will I like it?" but more with "Is it truly as bad as so many people seem to be making it out to be?"

[quote name='captaintek3304']Yes, I love these types of games, just never played FFT. My concerns aren't so much with "Will I like it?" but more with "Is it truly as bad as so many people seem to be making it out to be?"[/QUOTE]

Hell no it is not. Especially if you have no reference since you never played the original. Fantastic game in every regard

[quote name='jacknicklson']For now, yes, only the PSP games will work on the Vita unless you use remote play through your PS3[/QUOTE]

wait, what? I have a vita on the way and am surprised to hear ps1 classics can't be played on vita. they could be on psp.. why the heck not?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Final Fantasy VI - $6.99 PSN - $4.89 PS+
Final Fantasy VII - $6.99 PSN - $4.89 PS+
Final Fantasy VIII - $6.99 PSN - $4.89 PS+
Final Fantasy IX - $6.99 PSN - $4.89 PS+
[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely picking up FF6 & 7. I'd get 8 & 9 at that price but not working on the Vita means I'd probably never play them. This is one crazy fantastic sale though.

[quote name='gospelman']wait, what? I have a vita on the way and am surprised to hear ps1 classics can't be played on vita. they could be on psp.. why the heck not?[/QUOTE]

I'm really wondering the same thing. I know you can remote play PS1 games through the PS3 to the VITA but there is a noticeable touch of lag. Sony needs to get this feature working ASAP.

[quote name='jacknicklson']For now, yes, only the PSP games will work on the Vita unless you use remote play through your PS3[/QUOTE]

well then, I guess those 2 games are all im buying... IV and Tactics). Lame, real lame :( some FF7 on the go would be sweet.

[quote name='reicaden']well then, I guess those 2 games are all im buying... IV and Tactics). Lame, real lame :( some FF7 on the go would be sweet.[/QUOTE]

They said they would be playable soon after launch. How soon is anyone's guess but I would take the chance on it and buy FF7.

[quote name='mitch079']They said they would be playable soon after launch. How soon is anyone's guess but I would take the chance on it and buy FF7.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I am jumping on it while they are on sale as well, I highly doubt we will see them on sale again before we get PS one compatibility on the Vita (Lets hope it's within a few months tops...).

[quote name='gospelman']wait, what? I have a vita on the way and am surprised to hear ps1 classics can't be played on vita. they could be on psp.. why the heck not?[/QUOTE]

Initially the PSP couldn't play PS1 games, either. They need some time to write a new emulator specifically for the new hardware platform.

[quote name='Thrinn']Initially the PSP couldn't play PS1 games, either. They need some time to write a new emulator specifically for the new hardware platform.[/QUOTE]
That's because PSN didn't exist when the PSP came out and PS1 Classics weren't offered for a while after that, so it wasn't possible by any stretch at or near launch. Sony's at least said that PS1 support is coming, so I'm hoping for definite information by E3 since that would be about as far from the launch as I'd reasonably expect them to be silent about details.

I'm going to be out of the country for the entirety of the FF week, so I'll probably have my wife log in for me.

I already own portable versions of 1-6 on the GBA, DS, and WonderSwan Color. I've had my fill of 7 and won't rebuy that until they make a redone version. I don't own 8 on disc and will probably grab that, and to be able to play 9 on a portable is also worth my money.

One odd consideration, and one that makes me still want to pick up 8 on disc some day, is that I assume that there isn't a way to access the Chocobo World minigame since there's no way I can fathom to attach a Pocket Station to a PS3. (The US release on PS1 claimed to have edited out the game, but it was fully functional if you happened to have the Japan-only peripheral. The PC release added a built-in emulator.) Granted, all that the minigame uniquely adds to the full game is an extra ability for one of your junctions, hardly a game breaker.

[quote name='DPsycho']
I already own portable versions of 1-6 on the GBA, DS, and WonderSwan Color. I've had my fill of 7 and won't rebuy that until they make a redone version. I don't own 8 on disc and will probably grab that, and to be able to play 9 on a portable is also worth my money..[/QUOTE]

Wait what>? I thought we just decided that the only games that could be played on the go were FF4 and FFtactics. I must have missed something.

Or can PS1 games be played on the PSP, but not on the VITA?

[quote name='reicaden']Wait what>? I thought we just decided that the only games that could be played on the go were FF4 and FFtactics. I must have missed something.

Or can PS1 games be played on the PSP, but not on the VITA?[/QUOTE]
All of the FF games that will be in the sale are playable on the PSP. The Dissidia games also work on the Vita, according to the CAG list.

[quote name='reicaden']Wait what>? I thought we just decided that the only games that could be played on the go were FF4 and FFtactics. I must have missed something.

Or can PS1 games be played on the PSP, but not on the VITA?[/QUOTE]

Vita will (hopefully soon) be getting a firmware update that will allow it to play PS1 games. Why it didn't launch with that capability, I have no idea.

I see I see.... so I should buy this, in anticipation, that I can one day play them on my Vita, hmmm. Tempting... I might get IX just incase then. the ones I can play right now though on my vita are still IV and Tactics though. So I'll get those 3 then.

Wait wait! I Actually own FF IX. Can I play it through my VITA by sharing through my Ps3 (Remote connection)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's because PSN didn't exist when the PSP came out and PS1 Classics weren't offered for a while after that, so it wasn't possible by any stretch at or near launch.[/QUOTE]That's right. PSP hit in late 2004, PSN in Nov of 2006, and PS1 games were made available the following month.

I guess should have gone into a little more detail with my previous post. The point I wanted to get at is that Sony basically had almost a two year window to prep PS1 emulation for the PSP hardware, whereas they didn't have that luxury this time around and therefore it'd take a bit of time to get things running on the Vita.

[quote name='DPsycho']One odd consideration, and one that makes me still want to pick up 8 on disc some day, is that I assume that there isn't a way to access the Chocobo World minigame since there's no way I can fathom to attach a Pocket Station to a PS3. (The US release on PS1 claimed to have edited out the game, but it was fully functional if you happened to have the Japan-only peripheral. The PC release added a built-in emulator.) Granted, all that the minigame uniquely adds to the full game is an extra ability for one of your junctions, hardly a game breaker.[/QUOTE]

There isn't unfortunately, however when I had the game on my PSP I downloaded a save file from gamefaqs which started the game at the first save point with 99 of all the chocobo world items and the extra ability already earned.

Thanks for the heads up OP! I will be picking up a 3 months PS+ subscription since the FF games i will be buying will save me $12, really only costing me $6 for those 3 months which i will probably use for something else.

the only reason i dont like PS+ is that once you don't have the subscription anymore, you no longer own the games either.. which sucks..

[quote name='srac84']the only reason i dont like PS+ is that once you don't have the subscription anymore, you no longer own the games either.. which sucks..[/QUOTE]

If you bought them with the discount you do. Its just the free games you don't keep

[quote name='whitereflection']You never owned them to begin with. They're rentals. It's like a subscription to Napster or Rhapsody.[/QUOTE]
Anything you buy with a PS+ discount is yours to keep even if you let your sub lapse.

[quote name='srac84']the only reason i dont like PS+ is that once you don't have the subscription anymore, you no longer own the games either.. which sucks..[/QUOTE]

how often do you think you will replay games you probably wouldn't have bought?

yeah i have ff tactics, 6,7,8,9, all on ps1 disk (6 on gba) but how often have i put those in my ps3, never. so it might be worth it to get 6, tactics and maybe 7. i liked those the most. 8 and 9 i played and beat but never really enjoyed them too much. junction/draw system was horrible(in my opinion). i wish i could get xenogears for cheap or ct version that played well on my ps3, oh wellz.

i so wish they had trophies, but oh wellz...., i would have totally platted all of these in the past ;)
I so can't wait for DMC collection, Silent Hill collection, and recently announced Ratchet and Clank collection, woot! blasts from the past!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back