PSP Slim Redesign

I started looking closely at my silver PSP now, and I noticed that its actually painted, dunno if thats a good or bad thing. (As in, will it be able to take the abuse, or will the paint start wearing down from use like some laptops).

I know this has probably been covered already ( i'm lazy ) but can you do homebrew on the new PSPs? I remember I used to play a friend's PSP alot because he had a bunch of SNES, NES, and Sega games on there.

What do you guys mean by D-Pad is greatly improved? Can you expand on that thought a little more?

Huge Street Fighter/Darkstalkers fan here.

Thanks for the responses, they were very helpful. I gotta get a Slim ASAP.

[quote name='b3b0p']What do you guys mean by D-Pad is greatly improved? Can you expand on that thought a little more?

Huge Street Fighter/Darkstalkers fan here.[/quote]

On the old PSP it's impossible to do special moves and stuff cause the diagonals usually wont register properly. Seems that that this has finally been fixed. Bugged the hell outta me and I can't wait to get my hands on the Slim so I can finally enjoy some fighting games on the PSP.

[quote name='MadFlava']I finally bought a PS2 Slim today (the Daxter Bundle). I can now finally play all these games I have bought on clearance:
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Darkstalkers
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Guilty Gear Judgement
Lumines
Lumines II
Ultimate Ghost N Goblins

Man, this is going to be a great month of gaming.[/QUOTE]
where di you get these clearance and how much ?

Has anyone bought any accesories for the PSP slim yet? I'm tempted to get a screen protector for the slim, but I haven't bought one yet (I'm tempted to get the current PSP ones, though hopefully getting a Hori or the Sony licensed ones).

This is just a guess, but I would think so since the screen is the same size.

I've already got a fingerprint on mine. I never, ever know how I get fingerprints on my PSP :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']This is just a guess, but I would think so since the screen is the same size.

I've already got a fingerprint on mine. I never, ever know how I get fingerprints on my PSP :D[/QUOTE]

That's what I was guessing. Man, I'm not looking forward to installing another one of those. :(

[quote name='imascrub']i don't suppose there are any travel/carrying cases for the slim yet?[/quote]

Not that I've seen yet.

The original case that I had when I got my original PSP (the one that came with the slip case, 32mb mem stick, Spider-Man 2, headphones, and all that jazz) worked, but compared to the phat PSP, it's loose. Of course, the phat PSP was so snug I thought it was gonna bust the seams of it, but this one's sliding around, which just goes to show how much slimmer it really is.

I decided to buy one of those $10 small zip cases from GameStop (got it for $3 used), and it fits perfectly even with the games in there too.

[quote name='yuckfou']where di you get these clearance and how much ?[/quote]

All my games are from clearances starting way back in winter of 2005.
The most recent deals I have found at Circuit City.
I got Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops for $12 during the CC 33% off clearance games.
Metal Gear Solid Acid for $8.96 and Ulitmate Ghost N Goblins for $5.43 during last weeks buy one hand held game get another at %50 off.
Check the TRU, CC, K-mart, and Target Clearance threads for list of clearanced PSP titles.

[quote name='imascrub']i don't suppose there are any travel/carrying cases for the slim yet?[/QUOTE]

Or use one of the soft cases that are like most GB/GBA/DS cases. They provide more protection and fit just fine. I got mine years ago from Best Buy, but I can't remember the brand (pelican?)

I have a question for anyone with the composite video out cables: I have been able to encode videos for the PSP, but they seem to have to be in a 1.33ish aspect ratio (do not remember the exact dimensions) for the PSP to recognize the file. The PSP will stretch the normally widescreen image to display properly on the PSP screen. My question is this: when you use the composite out to a SD TV, does the image show up in 1.33 or the proper widescreen aspect ratio w/ black bars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try pressing triangle while watching the video and go to display. I always had to do that to watch my movies in their original aspect ratio.

I just saw some dissection video/pictures of a PSP Slim and Lite. Now I'm afraid of my PSP dropping or some pressure being applied to my PSP. Though the interior design reminds me a lot of a DS lite. I guess sacrifices had to be made to cut back on weight though I wish they kept the metal frame in there for structural support.

Sorry if this has been answered in the thread already, but is Homebrew possible on the slim PSPs?

I only ask, because I see custom FW options for PSPs . . .

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Sorry if this has been answered in the thread already, but is Homebrew possible on the slim PSPs?

I only ask, because I see custom FW options for PSPs . . .[/quote]

It is. Downgrading requires the use of a psp fat but it's possible.

I don't think I've posted my impressions yet. Been using my new Playstation Portable for a week now, and I LOVE it.

It's super crazy light, and feels even better in the hand than the first one. The first one's pad was IMO the best ever on a portable (although the original DS was close IMO), but this one blows it away.

The screen is better, even if they don't say it is.

I've only played Final Fantasy so far, but the caching SEEMS to work, and the drive stays spun down a shocking amount of the time. I've never had an issue with PSP load times, but I'm not going to object to them nearly doubling it's RAM! A portable with more RAM than an X-Box. Seriously cool :D

I like the silver color fine, and I'm glad I got it over black, but I'd still like white or blue or something.

Awesome, awesome system.

oh my, I didn't know that they doubled the ram. I really want the FFVII psp [wishing they'd release it in US] however, I could go for the SW [darth vader] PSP

[quote name='gokou36']Is it true that japanese psp screens are sharper than other region ones? I wonder how the japanese dead pixel rate is.

Edit : Looks like Target has the piano black for sale(ymmv)
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=3167738[/quote]

They need to do a price error on the Piano black system now (C'mon $30 off!)

I'd return my Daxter bundle and pick up a black system for $139.99:)

Nope. You gotta wait until they release the replacement cover mayne. If you get lucky you'll be able to get it by the time the Vader edition launches. I just imported a ceramic to avoid all that fuckin hassle.

Does anyone know if the psp lite battery works in the wall charger that's already out?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Nope. You gotta wait until they release the replacement cover mayne. If you get lucky you'll be able to get it by the time the Vader edition launches. I just imported a ceramic to avoid all that fuckin hassle.

Does anyone know if the psp lite battery works in the wall charger that's already out?[/QUOTE]

My old wall charger works on both my PSP lite and my old PSP. Is that what your asking?
I think you may be asking about that charger that you buy at the store(not the one that came with the PSP) though....

[quote name='cochesecochese']Nope. You gotta wait until they release the replacement cover mayne. If you get lucky you'll be able to get it by the time the Vader edition launches. I just imported a ceramic [/quote]

Is there any difference between the Japanese PSP slims and US?

Are there any region restrictions on games or UMD movies?

JPN slims can only play JPN movies, slim. Same with US units and US movies. No game restrictions. Also, firmware navigation is strange because even though it's in english, you don't use the same buttons to confirm or cancel.

Rumour is the screens are different but I have no way of confirming or denying that.

I have the Japanese phat PSP and its screen looks sharper than the US phat. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese slim uses a better screen again.

The Japanese PSP swaps the 'X' and 'O' for Cancel/Confirm in the XMB.

Only UMD movies region restricted, no region for games
And the Japanese has always been using O as yes/confirm and X as cancel on all PS consoles..... the opposite to US

Btw, anyone knows how much the shipping cost from Play-Asia to US ? and how long does it take to arrive ?

The cheapest Import i've found outside play-asia is ebay, from this seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180152063018&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008
$210 shipped and he got the cable too, he sells the FF7 bundle pretty cheap too compared to other seller and play asia

[quote name='eau']I have the Japanese phat PSP and its screen looks sharper than the US phat. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese slim uses a better screen again.

The Japanese PSP swaps the 'X' and 'O' for Cancel/Confirm in the XMB.[/quote]

If one were to install custom firmware on the Japanese systems, will the X and O be reversed back to how it is in the U.S. ones? Not a big deal but I just wanna know.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I saw the Piano Black PSP at my Target today for $169.99. The Daxter bundle was $219.99...[/quote]

I haven't seen any of the Piano Black yet but both of the Targets near me have set up a special endcap for the Daxter bundles. They put the bundles out in the open along with a few GH titles and accessories like the component cables, AV cables, and new headphone/remote.

I'm surprised they're willing to leave those in the open outside of the glass case.

[quote name='Chitown021']I haven't seen any of the Piano Black yet but both of the Targets near me have set up a special endcap for the Daxter bundles. They put the bundles out in the open along with a few GH titles and accessories like the component cables, AV cables, and new headphone/remote.

I'm surprised they're willing to leave those in the open outside of the glass case.[/QUOTE]

I was kinda surprised to see the Piano Blacks out already. Any news if the can run emulators like NES through the video out port on the PSP? I know it can run some of the emulators...not sure if the output display works though.

Does anyone know if Custom Firmware has been released that lets you rip your PSX games to your PSP? That's a pretty big factor in me replacing my current PSP.

There's a program that lets you convert your ripped PSX games into PSP format and play them. I've tried it and it works. I haven't used it in a while so I'm not sure what it's called but I think it might be PSX2PSP or something.

[quote name='AndrewCP']There's a program that lets you convert your ripped PSX games into PSP format and play them. I've tried it and it works. I haven't used it in a while so I'm not sure what it's called but I think it might be PSX2PSP or something.[/quote]
So it definitly works for Slim PSPs? And, what Custom Firmware would I need to download to use my ripped PSX games on my PSP?
I've been using Dark_Alex's CW for a while on Fat PSP to play PSX games, but I don't think he's had a Slim PSP release (Unless I'm mistaken.).

[quote name='AndrewCP']If one were to install custom firmware on the Japanese systems, will the X and O be reversed back to how it is in the U.S. ones? Not a big deal but I just wanna know.[/quote]
There is an option in the recovery menu (custon firmware) that lets you choose your buttons.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Does anyone know if Custom Firmware has been released that lets you rip your PSX games to your PSP? That's a pretty big factor in me replacing my current PSP.[/quote]
It works fine on the recently released 3.60 m33. mmm portable bloody bride! You need quite an extensive set of tools to rip and convert to your psp but nothing has changed in the process from the old psp fat.

I bought my piano black on friday at target, called 2 places and they didn't have it and the 3rd one did. Anyways I bought my component cables yesterday at Fry's and the fucking shit is loose(color changes when I wiggle the wire near the connector to the psp) so i'll have to return it. Anyone else had this problem?

Edit : Well this blows, exchanged it and the same shit happen again but not as bad as the first time. I'm thinkin the whole freakin batch Fry's got was bad so I didn't bother to try a 3rd one. Who else bought the cables and how is it working for you?

i just got my cables friday from amazon. i've had zero issues,. i just wish my samsung tv (ln-t4661) had an appropriate zoom mode.

[quote name='ashram']i just got my cables friday from amazon. i've had zero issues,. i just wish my samsung tv (ln-t4661) had an appropriate zoom mode.[/quote]

What is the appropriate zoom mode that you need? I'm curious if my Sharp Aquos has the right zoom option.

[quote name='MadFlava']What is the appropriate zoom mode that you need? I'm curious if my Sharp Aquos has the right zoom option.[/QUOTE]
you probably do have it. the samsung, for some reason, limits zoom options on the component inputs. for me to get near full screen, i'd have to run the psp in 4:3 and then zoom.

I hope that another deal comes around for the Daxter PSP Bundle by the time I get the money to buy it. I do not want another black PSP. I''m pretty OCD about fingerprints.

I'm glad I got silver after having it for a while. More fun color than black, and I don't remember seeing any fingerprints on it. This is a really nice bundle if you don't already have Daxter! Basically makes 5 Family Guy episodes + a 1GB Memory Stick cost $10, which is fine.

Unfortunately I only like one of the Family Guy episodes on the disc, and I like the show. But oh well, I wouldn't have kept that anyway. Hope to recoup most of the price difference by trading in Daxter and Family guy to EB (since I already have a regular copy of Daxter).

bread's done
Back