Purchase Destiny Digital version for PS3/360 Get a Free upgrade to PS4/Xbox One Version

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

As title says. Buy a digital version of Destiny for 360 or PS3 and get a free upgrade to the Xbox One/PS4 digital version. Kind of a PSA more than a real deal but saw this at Neogaf.

Note 1: You must claim the Xbox One (standard or digital guardian) or PS4 version (standard or digital guardian) by January 15th 2015. You can do this online without even owning a PS4 or Xbox One console.  Simply go to the respective companies online store and claim your free upgrade license (by January 15th). If you do this you can then download the upgraded version at any time in the future.

Note 2: the deal is not cross console. You can't buy the 360 version then upgrade to the PS4 version. You have to do 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, wish I knew about this.  Wish if you bought current gen digitally, you could get last gen versions digitally too if they offered this type of deal.  Was this just announced?

In case someone hasn't mentioned it

The deal would seem to be: buy 360/ps3 version (benefit from any deals you got to get it) upgrade to xbone/ps4 digital version. Trade in 360/ps3 version with a 50% bonus etc. at best buy (aren't they doin that soon?)

I so smarr

this is a great deal for those that only have a 360 or PS3 and know they will upgrade to a ONE or PS4 in the future. for most others, this adds no real value. I have a PS3 and PS4 and I see no reason why I would ever want to play Destiny on my PS3. I'll keep my pre-order...

The deal would seem to be: buy 360/ps3 version (benefit from any deals you got to get it) upgrade to xbone/ps4 digital version. Trade in 360/ps3 version with a 50% bonus etc. at best buy (aren't they doin that soon?)

I so smarr
Yeah, can't trade in digital copies... That's why I'm not wild about this deal.

I so smarr
from what I understand, this deal is only on the digital releases of the game...meaning buy the digital edition on PS3 and automatically get the PS4 digital version for free. I do not believe this applies to the physical PS3/360 copies. Please inform me if I'm wrong of course :)

Anyone take the plunge and pre-order the PS3 version yet?

I want to know if the PS4 pre-order then shows up as "free."

I'll cancel my PS4 physical pre-order that's only $5 off in exchange for getting a cross-buy digital version.

Can we pre-load both the ps3 and ps4 version now if you buy the ps3 version?
Would like to know this as well before I go ahead and click buy the PS3 version. If I can't preload, I don't think I will bite this deal.

this is a great deal for those that only have a 360 or PS3 and know they will upgrade to a ONE or PS4 in the future. for most others, this adds no real value. I have a PS3 and PS4 and I see no reason why I would ever want to play Destiny on my PS3. I'll keep my pre-order...
This is a good deal for me since I can't always play it in my PS4 when my son is playing on the PS4 or using the TV. Just like the Last of us Remastered I ended up buying the PS3 version for the same reason.

Gah! I almost pre-ordered on PS4 last night. The pre-load has started early on PS4. Does anyone know if I go and pre-order Digital Guardian Edition on PS3, if I can start pre-loading the PS4 version immediately? I want two copies, but I also want pre-load.

The beauty of a deal like this is other people in my family could play the game.  I was thinking of getting this for my 360, let my nephew borrow my 360 and anyone on the the same 360 could play it.  Then when I do the upgrade to the Xbox One, I could play play it and game share it.   I'm a fan of digital because I could game share it plus I'm using free credits.

Gah! I almost pre-ordered on PS4 last night. The pre-load has started early on PS4. Does anyone know if I go and pre-order Digital Guardian Edition on PS3, if I can start pre-loading the PS4 version immediately? I want two copies, but I also want pre-load.
From what I read, the moment you gain the license for the game/pass on your ps3 it will be available on ps4 so either immediate or on the 9th

Will the digital gaurdian edition be available on 360?
Any success canceling x1 digital pre-orders yet?

saw one post above mention it but figured I'd post in case I missed the right information...

Where do I buy the digital Xbox 360 version? Amazon - no-go, Xbox Live Store - no-go

help?
There are no preorders for digital games on X360 afaik. Hopefully Destiny will go up on X360 store on release day since I definitely want to take advantage of this deal. I was planning to get X360 disc version and then buy Xbox One during holidays. Maybe need to bug Major Nelson about X360 digital version...

Also wish Bungie had announced this earlier, but maybe they were still working on the details till now.

[EDIT] - Just noticed on Gamestop they list X360 digital version for preorder

http://www.gamestop.com//xbox-360/games/destiny/108087

Someone go be a guinea pig and pre-order Digital Guardian Edition on PS3 and tell me if it lets you pre-load immediately on PS4.
I'd ask NeoGAF too but my ban lifts at midnight.

I think i am going to get the XB1 this holiday season and PS4 sometime next year (holiday season, most likely)...so, I am only interested in the X360 digital version. Did anyone figure out where to buy that? I dont see it anywhere...Any deals that you guys know off, the physical copy gets you $10 in BB.

From what I read, the moment you gain the license for the game/pass on your ps3 it will be available on ps4 so either immediate or on the 9th
It seems that way. If anyone has already preordered the PS3 digital version, please look here and see if the PS4 version comes up as free. Thanks!

So, if I have a friend with an Xbone and I still just have a 360. Could we potentially split the cost by going digital with this deal? Pay for one copy but both get one in the end. Any idea if it would be tied to one account or not? Not sure if I would do this as I was thinking about hopping on the Sunset Overdrive Xbone bundle if there's a good deal for it, but still $30 each for Destiny..

There are no preorders for digital games on X360 afaik. Hopefully Destiny will go up on X360 store on release day since I definitely want to take advantage of this deal. I was planning to get X360 disc version and then buy Xbox One during holidays. Maybe need to bug Major Nelson about X360 digital version...

Also wish Bungie had announced this earlier, but maybe they were still working on the details till now.

[EDIT] - Just noticed on Gamestop they list X360 digital version for preorder

http://www.gamestop.com//xbox-360/games/destiny/108087
heh, you are right :) I just asked the same question as you a moment ago...and I am certain I checked GS earlier and there was no digital copy for X360.

So, if I have a friend with an Xbone and I still just have a 360. Could we potentially split the cost by going digital with this deal? Pay for one copy but both get one in the end. Any idea if it would be tied to one account or not? Not sure if I would do this as I was thinking about hopping on the Sunset Overdrive Xbone bundle if there's a good deal for it, but still $30 each for Destiny..
it'll be tied to one account and its probably one license key so both wouldn't be able to play at once, and both your xbox one and 360 (or ps3/ps4) would have to be logged into the same XBL/PSN account.

Someone please please do test this and see if buying PS3 digital (guardian or normal) works, thinking hard about switching especially after all the $10 PSN cards I bought at gamestop. Having two copies of the game is a no brainer over just one, especially digital. I have a PS4 Ghost edition on preorder, not sure what to do with that though - trade in the game and keep all the goodies, probably...

Yes. You do this by letting your friend download the game from your account on their console first, then when he's done that you can download on yours. The license will be tied to their console and your account which means the game can be played on their console with any account but you have to sign in with the account you bought the game with on your console in order to play it.

Also, if that friend pisses you off and you don't want to be friends anymore, you can just sign in with your account on your console and there is a section where you can revert all the game and DLC licenses back to your console and they will no longer be able to play.

heh, you are right :) I just asked the same question as you a moment ago...and I am certain I checked GS earlier and there was no digital copy for X360.
I guess GS just added the digital version? In any case, I just canceled my Amazon preorder. I briefly thought about buying off Xbox store since I still have $30+ in MS credit from conversion, but I don't want to bother putting in my CC info. That and we don't know when it will go up on Xbox store.

Question? If I preorder the 360 version for my sons xbox which he has his own gamer tag, can I down load the xbox one version on my gamer tag? Please if anyone knows this highly appreciated. Thanks

Question? If I preorder the 360 version for my sons xbox which he has his own gamer tag, can I down load the xbox one version on my gamer tag? Please if anyone knows this highly appreciated. Thanks
Short answer is yes assuming you buy the game with your account. Read my previous post for more info.

I just bought the PS3 digital guardian edition and the PS4 version is still $89.99 for me in cart on both web store and PS4 PSN store, so the deal isn't active yet or takes some time to register the fact that you own the digital PS3 version.

I just bought the PS3 digital guardian edition and the PS4 version is still $89.99 for me in cart on both web store and PS4 PSN store, so the deal isn't active yet or takes some time to register the fact that you own the digital PS3 version.
Thanks for trying!

Hmm. Curious how long it will take to register? Maybe Sony support knows if it will unlock in time to pre-load? Keep us up to date please! I think I'll be ordering it after midnight tonight but not sure which version. I don't know if I can handle no pre-load for PS4.

I am in the same boat. I really want to preload the game because I know it will be hell at midnight.

Plus I was planning on getting the X1 version now and the PS4 later this year and so they really need to put a preorder up for the 360.

So if this deal is causing anyone to think about cancelling their Ghost Edition pre-order for Xbox One, please let me know.  I may be interested in taking it off your hands. :)

Can confirm, bought the 90$ edition on ps3, turned on my ps4 and it doesnt allow me to download. Will have to wait until the release for it I suppose

Gamestop has a preorder for the Xbox 360 digital download, so that looks like a way to get both this deal and the preorder bonuses for :360:.

ETA: Just saw this was already posted on the previous page, sorry. ;)

Gamestop has a preorder for the Xbox 360 digital download, so that looks like a way to get both this deal and the preorder bonuses for :360:.

ETA: Just saw this was already posted on the previous page, sorry. ;)
Eh, read the fine print on that GameStop bonus. The actual better performance from the Sparrow is just part of the game for everyone, so upgrading the Sparrow is not exclusive to Gamestop. The exclusive part is the shader skin for the Sparrow that screams "Bought this at Gamestop y'all" until 1/15/15 when it is no longer an exclusive paint job.

I don't see why they don't just make it crossbuy and give everyone access to both versions regardless of the one they ordered.

It's a pretty attractive deal for me though. I have a PS3 and a PS4, but only guaranteed access to the PS3. Remote Play is cool, but can't be done over my own crappy internet. This way I could maybe play both, whenever I wanted.

I say maybe because I am still a little confused as to how the saves are going to work. Some of their comments make it sound like a global save, and some make it sound like something you have to export when you upgrade to PS4. If I can't go back and forth then it doesn't benefit me.

Ok I think I understood this. If your downloading it on xbox one n 360 but on separate gamer tags. You would download for the gamer tag that didn't purchase it first then down load for the gamer tag that purchased last. Is that correct?

Hmmmm. This might convince me to pick up a copy earlier than I expected.

And go digital too.

I do love physical copies though.

I did this when Call of duty ghosts came out for 360 and X1. Bought cod for $60 digital and got to upgrade on the one for $10. Obviously this deal is better than that. :D

Ok I think I understood this. If your downloading it on xbox one n 360 but on separate gamer tags. You would download for the gamer tag that didn't purchase it first then down load for the gamer tag that purchased last. Is that correct?
You get 2 licenses when you buy a game.

1 goes to the first console it is downloaded on. This is tied to the console and any Gamertag on that console can play the game on their own Gamertag.

2nd one is tied to the Gamertag that the game was purchased on. This can be played on any machine BUT that specific Gamertag has to be logged in to play.

So say your Gamertag is Delta and your friends Gamertag is Echo.

You would purchase it on the Delta Gamertag but download it on Echo's xbox first so that the console license is tied to Echo's console. The console license allows any Gamertag on Echo's console to play the game regardless of who is signed in.

You would then go download it on Delta's xbox. In order to play it on Delta's xbox then the Delta Gamertag would have to be signed in

Eh, read the fine print on that GameStop bonus. The actual better performance from the Sparrow is just part of the game for everyone, so upgrading the Sparrow is not exclusive to Gamestop. The exclusive part is the shader skin for the Sparrow that screams "Bought this at Gamestop y'all" until 1/15/15 when it is no longer an exclusive paint job.
There's the "Vanguard Armory" items as well. http://www.destinythegame.com/wheretobuy/vanguard-armory

dumb bitch from the sony live chat earlier didn't even send in a refund request -_-

found that out when i asked 5 hours later why i didn't get an email saying anything about it, guy said there was nothing at all in the system

well hopefully this works, i'm assuming when the ps3 version goes up for pre-load, the ps4 will too and it'll register, otherwise i'll be getting a second refund lol. 

I'll let you guys know on Sunday if it works. 

dumb bitch from the sony live chat earlier didn't even send in a refund request -_-

found that out when i asked 5 hours later why i didn't get an email saying anything about it, guy said there was nothing at all in the system

well hopefully this works, i'm assuming when the ps3 version goes up for pre-load, the ps4 will too and it'll register, otherwise i'll be getting a second refund lol.

I'll let you guys know on Sunday if it works.
The refund request e-mail should be instant no?

I planned on double dipping on PS3 and PS4 to play with all my friends, but this is awesome!

Now to figure out where to get PS Store cards for cheap. That Kongregate/Gamestop coupon thing got me a lot of coupons, but apparently you can't use them on PS Store cards.

bread's done
Back