Purchase Destiny Digital version for PS3/360 Get a Free upgrade to PS4/Xbox One Version

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

As title says. Buy a digital version of Destiny for 360 or PS3 and get a free upgrade to the Xbox One/PS4 digital version. Kind of a PSA more than a real deal but saw this at Neogaf.

Note 1: You must claim the Xbox One (standard or digital guardian) or PS4 version (standard or digital guardian) by January 15th 2015. You can do this online without even owning a PS4 or Xbox One console.  Simply go to the respective companies online store and claim your free upgrade license (by January 15th). If you do this you can then download the upgraded version at any time in the future.

Note 2: the deal is not cross console. You can't buy the 360 version then upgrade to the PS4 version. You have to do 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know the download size for 360? Considering this deal even though I know I'll only play the 360 like once lol
Well, the beta was just shy of 6 GB on the 360. The beta on the One was 13.6 GB, and the final size on the One is around 18.5 GB. So, if the same ratio of beta to final that exists on the One applies to the 360 version, my guess is the final 360 size is in the neighborhood of ~ 9 GB. This also makes sense if the game's physical disc version is limited to one disc, which is around 9 GB.

Well, the beta was just shy of 6 GB on the 360. The beta on the One was 13.6 GB, and the final size on the One is around 18.5 GB. So, if the same ratio of beta to final that exists on the One applies to the 360 version, my guess is the final 360 size is in the neighborhood of ~ 9 GB. This also makes sense if the game's physical disc version is limited to one disc, which is around 9 GB.
I could have sworn I read ~40GB for the next gen?

Well I think the highest install I've personally seen for a GoD was 7.6 gb. Eh, I'll probably get the deal regardless. No reason to pass on an extra copy of the game. I might get the expansion pass as well, buying that on last gen also carries to next gen right?

I forgot about this. Need to find a friend.

Yes. You do this by letting your friend download the game from your account on their console first, then when he's done that you can download on yours. The license will be tied to their console and your account which means the game can be played on their console with any account but you have to sign in with the account you bought the game with on your console in order to play it.

Also, if that friend pisses you off and you don't want to be friends anymore, you can just sign in with your account on your console and there is a section where you can revert all the game and DLC licenses back to your console and they will no longer be able to play.

If I'm understanding this right, there's two disadvantages to doing this for the Xbox consoles if you already have an X1.  One, we probably won't get the early access to the Vanguard stuff, as the Xbox 360 download probably won't go up until Tuesday morning.  And two, and this is just reading into the way that Bungie worded things, it does not look like there will be a Digital Guardian Edition for the Xbox 360 (you'll notice it's mentioned in the transfer for Playstation but left out for Xbox on Bungie's site), so if you are planning on buying the game plus the expansion, you'll miss out on that $5 discount.  Still probably worth it, but worth pointing that out (and I could be wrong on point 2).

If I buy the 360 digital version, and then upgrade to the Xbox One version, do I get to keep the 360 version? Do I get to have the game on both the 360 and the One?

I could have sworn I read ~40GB for the next gen?
Pretty sure I read it was around 18.5 GB for the base game. I remember thinking it wasn't much larger than the beta, and worrying that the final game was going to be limited or short. Anyone here preload it, and can verify the size?

I have the Ghost Edition for PS4 and some PSN credit

I'll be getting this on PS3 as well to take advantage of this deal so I don't have to switch disks on my PS4

As long as the PS3 version is playable while on my PS4, I can let my friends play my PS3 version whenever

So if I want to get this on XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE with season pass for DLC of 1 and 2, how do I go about ordering this and taking advantage of this deal?  I am a bit confused.

Thank you,

Whiteice

Anyone know if you can preload the PS4 version if you get the digital PS3 version? I've got it preordered at GS already w/ season pass, but I want to play it on Tuesday and probably won't make it to GS until Wednesday.

I realized I don't have any friends with a PS3 that don't have PS4s now.  So I suppose I'll save my $130 of PSN credit for the expansion pass and keep my Best Buy preorder.  I genuinely enjoy going to midnight launches and getting swag.

You get 2 licenses when you buy a game.

1 goes to the first console it is downloaded on. This is tied to the console and any Gamertag on that console can play the game on their own Gamertag.

2nd one is tied to the Gamertag that the game was purchased on. This can be played on any machine BUT that specific Gamertag has to be logged in to play.

So say your Gamertag is Delta and your friends Gamertag is Echo.

You would purchase it on the Delta Gamertag but download it on Echo's xbox first so that the console license is tied to Echo's console. The console license allows any Gamertag on Echo's console to play the game regardless of who is signed in.

You would then go download it on Delta's xbox. In order to play it on Delta's xbox then the Delta Gamertag would have to be signed in
After downloading the game on both 360s, can someone play Destiny on each console at the same time? And does anyone know yet if the expansion pack can be downloaded on both consoles or just the first one it is installed on?

actually they said your character data will transfer between ps3 and ps4
I can confirm that they transfer back and forth on the PS4 and PS3. I had both in the beta and your characters are available on both all the time. I would game some downstairs on the PS4 and then go upstairs to the bedroom and pick up where I left off on the PS3. All your data is also on the Destiny companion app (ios and android) and you can actually change gear on the app and it shows up that way the next time you play.

Sony - "You should get a response in 2-3 business days"

Well, I won't need a response in 2-3 business days, as the game will be out by then lol. All it'll do is remove the game from my download list, while the game is already installed on my ps4 and ready to launch, so really it'll be like getting Destiny for free, except i can't delete it 

I've got the Ghost Edition for the 360 and the Limited Edition for the Xbone preordered at Best Buy since the Xbone Ghost was unavailable. I was planning on selling the Limited Edition game and all out of the 360 Ghost Edition which would essentially leave me an the Xbone Ghost Edition.

This deal is making me waver on my plan. Now I'm thinking about just keeping all of the 360 Ghost Edition selling the game out of it and buying it digitally on the 360 to get it all on both.

Does anyone know approximately how much GameStop gives on trade-ins on new release games, and does it make a difference if it's disk only? I plan on keeping the steel book. Also does any other retailer give better deals on new release trade ins.

I never did game sharing on my PS3 before, but can someone explain it a little better to me? Say I have a friend who owns a PS3 and PS4 and wants the PS4 version of Destiny. If he buys the PS3 version he should get the PS4 version for free, that's a given, but can he download the PS3 version to my PS3 if he signs in from there while allowing all accounts on my PS3 to play Destiny (and not just his)? If he did that - would he still be able to play Destiny from his PS3 if he wanted to? I already have 2 accounts on my PS3, but I read that you can have your account on two PS3s. Just a bit confused.

I've got the Ghost Edition for the 360 and the Limited Edition for the Xbone preordered at Best Buy since the Xbone Ghost was unavailable. I was planning on selling the Limited Edition game and all out of the 360 Ghost Edition which would essentially leave me an the Xbone Ghost Edition.

This deal is making me waver on my plan. Now I'm thinking about just keeping all of the 360 Ghost Edition selling the game out of it and buying it digitally on the 360 to get it all on both.

Does anyone know approximately how much GameStop gives on trade-ins on new release games, and does it make a difference if it's disk only? I plan on keeping the steel book. Also does any other retailer give better deals on new release trade ins.
Typically they have a guaranteed $40 on new gen $30 on old gen for new games.

Based on PS3 licensing you can play the same game on 2 activated consoles, so any account on those systems should be able to play. Same way it works as any other "game share". From SD

I never did game sharing on my PS3 before, but can someone explain it a little better to me? Say I have a friend who owns a PS3 and PS4 and wants the PS4 version of Destiny. If he buys the PS3 version he should get the PS4 version for free, that's a given, but can he download the PS3 version to my PS3 if he signs in from there while allowing all accounts on my PS3 to play Destiny (and not just his)? If he did that - would he still be able to play Destiny from his PS3 if he wanted to? I already have 2 accounts on my PS3, but I read that you can have your account on two PS3s. Just a bit confused.

Typically they have a guaranteed $40 on new gen $30 on old gen for new games.
Damn. That's a pretty steep drop off on last gen games. I was thinking about just getting a standard edition for the Xbone. I usually prefer hard copy's of games anyway. At least the expansion pass would carry over. I'm not sure what I'm gong to do.

WTF did they wait to announce this? I already preordered the Expansion Pass on PS4. If I could get that refunded then I'd just go with the $89.99 DG Edition on PS3 and cancel my instore PS4 preorder.

Welp, my brother just surprised me with a digital copy of Destiny from this promotion. Guess I'll be playing after all. (he probably just wants me to stay away from his ps4 lol)

So in case I missed it, has anyone confirmed you can download from the 360 marketplace to get in on this promo? Still have an xbone pre order I'm waiting on cancelling cuz of the vanguard armor in lieu of this.

Someone earlier said a PS rep told them that the PS4 version would get you a PS3 version. Does anybody know if the same could go for xbox because I would much rather get the guardian digital edition. Also, can I use my xbox 360 preorder codes for the xbox one version? Thanks.

Someone earlier said a PS rep told them that the PS4 version would get you a PS3 version. Does anybody know if the same could go for xbox because I would much rather get the guardian digital edition. Also, can I use my xbox 360 preorder codes for the xbox one version? Thanks.
i saw other post saying the rep said no, with a pic too. so just submit a refund request.

its explained in all of like four paragraphs on the site.
Thanks for the help...

Looks like it's account based, too bad :/ I don't have anyone to ganeshare with, my friends are all on XB1. Unless someone here would like to share with me, that would be cool!

sorry, was in a troll mood. I also wish I could find someone to share, but none of my friends want to cancel their xb1 physical copies. It does say in op that its simply a digital DL, then xb1 license upgrade though.

Thanks for the help...

Looks like it's account based, too bad :/ I don't have anyone to ganeshare with, my friends are all on XB1. Unless someone here would like to share with me, that would be cool!

Anybody know where to pre order the :360: xbox 360 destiny digital guardian edition ?
It's looking like it won't be available until it releases. Now I have to pick: pre download it for launch day on X1 or wait and get a free 360 copy. :wall:

Anybody know where to pre order the :360: xbox 360 destiny digital guardian edition ?
Judging by the Bungie site there is not one. When outlining the details of the promo it specifies Sony and Microsoft and when speaking of the Sony upgrade it mentions base game, Digital Guardian Edition and then the expansion passes separately. Then with the Microsoft part it says nothing of the Digital Guardian Edition.

I was hoping to take advantage of this for the 360 but it is looking like I most likely wont.

I wouldn't be able to preload and I would have to pay more and not get the Digital Guardian Edition.

Seems a bit lame to me seeing as I likely will rarely if ever play the 360 version anyway.

In the next couple months when I puck up my PS4 copy however I will take advantage of the promo

bread's done
Back