Purchase Destiny Digital version for PS3/360 Get a Free upgrade to PS4/Xbox One Version

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

As title says. Buy a digital version of Destiny for 360 or PS3 and get a free upgrade to the Xbox One/PS4 digital version. Kind of a PSA more than a real deal but saw this at Neogaf.

Note 1: You must claim the Xbox One (standard or digital guardian) or PS4 version (standard or digital guardian) by January 15th 2015. You can do this online without even owning a PS4 or Xbox One console.  Simply go to the respective companies online store and claim your free upgrade license (by January 15th). If you do this you can then download the upgraded version at any time in the future.

Note 2: the deal is not cross console. You can't buy the 360 version then upgrade to the PS4 version. You have to do 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
The refund request e-mail should be instant no?
no, the two times i got a refund, it took 30 minutes to an hour to get an email saying processing

it's been 5 hours so i knew something was up, then I find out it wasn't even entered

i mean if i get the refund, sweet, but if i don't then i don't really lose much. Just wish Sony would let us cancel ps4 pre-orders, ps3 users can so i don't know what the problem is

I planned on double dipping on PS3 and PS4 to play with all my friends, but this is awesome!

Now to figure out where to get PS Store cards for cheap. That Kongregate/Gamestop coupon thing got me a lot of coupons, but apparently you can't use them on PS Store cards.
They work, you just have employees refusing to try sometimes. If they refuse to even try and see if it will work check at another Gamestop.

dumb bitch from the sony live chat earlier didn't even send in a refund request -_-

found that out when i asked 5 hours later why i didn't get an email saying anything about it, guy said there was nothing at all in the system

well hopefully this works, i'm assuming when the ps3 version goes up for pre-load, the ps4 will too and it'll register, otherwise i'll be getting a second refund lol.

I'll let you guys know on Sunday if it works.
I didn't get an e-mail, but i checked my microsoft account and the refund is indeed there.

I didn't get an e-mail, but i checked my microsoft account and the refund is indeed there.
Unfortunately psn doesn't work like that :/ it has to be approved

usually once they say it was approved, you get credited within an hour

it's almost not worth going through Sony support to take advantage of the deal

they barely wanted to credit people back the 10$ from the last of us remastered price drop lol

Unfortunately psn doesn't work like that :/ it has to be approved

usually once they say it was approved, you get credited within an hour

it's almost not worth going through Sony support to take advantage of the deal

they barely wanted to credit people back the 10$ from the last of us remastered price drop lol
damn, didn't know it was that bad.

dumb bitch from the sony live chat earlier didn't even send in a refund request -_-

found that out when i asked 5 hours later why i didn't get an email saying anything about it, guy said there was nothing at all in the system

well hopefully this works, i'm assuming when the ps3 version goes up for pre-load, the ps4 will too and it'll register, otherwise i'll be getting a second refund lol.

I'll let you guys know on Sunday if it works.
No luck. According to Sony support, the PS4 version becomes available on the 9th if you've pre-ordered on PS3, so no PS4 pre-load.

I think that just killed the deal for me. I don't even know anyone getting Destiny on PS3, but just figured it would be nice if this were hassle-free. Oh well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128643170&postcount=257

Was already planning on going digital on the One with this. Now I can play with my cheapass friends who have got around to buying a One yet, and still be able to play the One version too. The save is in the cloud, and opens between the two consoles seamlessly. Just take my money already. Not preordering for the win.

You get 2 licenses when you buy a game.

1 goes to the first console it is downloaded on. This is tied to the console and any Gamertag on that console can play the game on their own Gamertag.

2nd one is tied to the Gamertag that the game was purchased on. This can be played on any machine BUT that specific Gamertag has to be logged in to play.

So say your Gamertag is Delta and your friends Gamertag is Echo.

You would purchase it on the Delta Gamertag but download it on Echo's xbox first so that the console license is tied to Echo's console. The console license allows any Gamertag on Echo's console to play the game regardless of who is signed in.

You would then go download it on Delta's xbox. In order to play it on Delta's xbox then the Delta Gamertag would have to be signed in

Thanks so much.

Great deal.  Such short notice, but welcomed.  I though I would have to play the next gen version alone, but now I get the 360 version, and the XB1 version for extra graphics when I play solo.

Ordered a digital code for the Xbox 360 version of Destiny from gamestop.com since I got a lot of credit there.   I assume that code is the same as "buying" it digital from the Xbox Live store, so I will get the XB1 copy as well.  Win win for me.

No luck. According to Sony support, the PS4 version becomes available on the 9th if you've pre-ordered on PS3, so no PS4 pre-load.

I think that just killed the deal for me. I don't even know anyone getting Destiny on PS3, but just figured it would be nice if this were hassle-free. Oh well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128643170&postcount=257
i'm okay with that, my internet isn't slow, and i'll just play on ps3 so i don't miss much. I downloaded the last of us remastered in about 3-4 hours, woke up at 3:30am EST, it was done by 7:30

or i could just set it to auto download and go to sleep and wake up to it finished or nearly done

Yeah if you only have the new gen then it's pointless. But if you either have both gens or only have a ps3/360 right now (but plan to upgrade in the next 4 months) then it's a damn good deal.
How on earth is this a "damn good deal"? Even having bothe gens as I do, why would O care to play on 360/ps3 having a ps4/xb1? And it's digital only so it's not like you can even sell it or anything...
The only way this is in fact good
Is if you still have old gen only, and so you could have it later if you buy cur gen (but then again depending on how much into the future you buy it you might not even play this at the time)
More like a gimmick than a deal...

How on earth is this a "damn good deal"? Even having bothe gens as I do, why would O care to play on 360/ps3 having a ps4/xb1? And it's digital only so it's not like you can even sell it or anything...
The only way this is in fact good
Is if you still have old gen only, and so you could have it later if you buy cur gen (but then again depending on how much into the future you buy it you might not even play this at the time)
More like a gimmick than a deal...
Some people like to get achievements, plus your character and progress carries over so its a deal to some, maybe not to you but I think its a great deal and great incentive to go digital for this game.

sorry if its been asked already. Can I buy the ps3 version and download to my ps3 and my sons ps3,so we can play together. Then be able to download PS4 version on my ps4 too without any conflicts effecting my son and I still playing on ps3?

For anyone like me wanting to be able to play on PS3 and PS4 simultaneously, I did a bit of googling and found someone claiming that the system was actually working in the beta, and that you could seamlessly switch between versions.

It seems obvious, but so much of the language describing this system is told from the perspective of someone upgrading to a PS4 months later, that it ended up sounding like an export/transfer, and not the server side data you would expect out of an mmo (and that it apparently is).

sorry if its been asked already. Can I buy the ps3 version and download to my ps3 and my sons ps3,so we can play together. Then be able to download PS4 version on my ps4 too without any conflicts effecting my son and I still playing on ps3?
There's no local co-op as far as I am aware, so you are going to need to buy a separate license for your son's account regardless of whether or not you play your own copy on PS3 or PS4. And because you have to log in to their servers in order to play, I doubt you will be able to use your PS4 and PS3 copies literally at the same time.

You also cannot play co-op cross-platform between PS3 and PS4, if that is something you wanted to do. Their cited reason was in order to provide everyone with an equal playing field and not allow anyone to have an unfair advantage. It's kind of a shame that such a cool feature is being left out because of pvp.

Can I gameshare this with my brother? As in, can I download the PS3 version and then give him my account details, have him download it and then we both play on PS3? 

Can I gameshare this with my brother? As in, can I download the PS3 version and then give him my account details, have him download it and then we both play on PS3?
I doubt it as its an always online mmo. Theres been a fair bit of talk about gamesharing this over various forums. As i understand it, once you buy the game, it enables that gamertag to access the servers. So while the 2 licenses on digital thing where you download it on a second console first will work, apparently play will be blocked with a "this account is already logged in" message on the system not loged in with the gamertag that purchased.

I could be wrong (especially as the game is unreleased so no one actually knows for sure), but i hightly doubt that they will allow people to purchase 1 digital copy and share it with a friend, especially as they have control over their own servers.

Some people like to get achievements, plus your character and progress carries over so its a deal to some, maybe not to you but I think its a great deal and great incentive to go digital for this game.
Yeah, and I have a family so the PS4 room isn;t always going to be available. I was actually considering getting a PS3 copy too for that reason and as such, had I known about this the day before yesterday when i pre-ordered (never again barring a very good incentive) the PS4 version, it could have really come in handy in that respect.

1 goes to the first console it is downloaded on. This is tied to the console and any Gamertag on that console can play the game on their own Gamertag.

2nd one is tied to the Gamertag that the game was purchased on. This can be played on any machine BUT that specific Gamertag has to be logged in to play.

You would purchase it on the Delta Gamertag but download it on Echo's xbox first so that the console license is tied to Echo's console. The console license allows any Gamertag on Echo's console to play the game regardless of who is signed in.

You would then go download it on Delta's xbox. In order to play it on Delta's xbox then the Delta Gamertag would have to be signed in
Would the same thing applies for playstation?

Does anyone know if the preorder DLCs like the Vanguard Armory and the GameStop Sparrow will also transfer from 360/PS3 to Xbone/PS4? I've read every post in this topic and I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet.

This deal is trying to force me to decide what next gen system I will buy...I am not liking it.
If you have GCU, just preorder the disc version. It's only ~$40 (after GCU and $10 preorder cert). You could easily trade it back in for $40 in the next couple of months, so at that point you're break even. Then if you decide to buy the digital version to have the game on both gens (before the January deadline), you won't be any worse off.

That's what I'm gonna do. This is a good deal for anyone who wants to double down on the achievements or who knows they're definitely going to want to play the game on next gens as well. I'm not ready to commit to either just yet.

On the surface this seems like a great deal, but after thinking about it - I know I'd never play it on PS3.  So I'm going to keep my PS4 preorder at Amazon. 

Does anyone know if the preorder DLCs like the Vanguard Armory and the GameStop Sparrow will also transfer from 360/PS3 to Xbone/PS4? I've read every post in this topic and I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet.
Your character stats and inventory are stored on Bungie's servers, so I would guess so. It wouldn't make sense for your character to be console-independent but then part of your inventory only appears on one console...

Your character stats and inventory are stored on Bungie's servers, so I would guess so. It wouldn't make sense for your character to be console-independent but then part of your inventory only appears on one console...
Your right about the inventory transferring so that answers about the gamestop sparrow. But I though the Vanguard Armory was a shop. The items you get from it would transfer through the game save but I would think unless you have the DLC on the system you wouldn't be able to access the shop itself on the new gen console.

I guess worst case you would just have to log on to the last gen console to buy the gear you want.

So if I'm getting this right I can get the digital guardian edition right now for PS3, play until black friday when I'll be getting a PS4, and then get the PS4 version of the game and the expansion packs free while being able to transfer over my character progress, is that it?

Your right about the inventory transferring so that answers about the gamestop sparrow. But I though the Vanguard Armory was a shop. The items you get from it would transfer through the game save but I would think unless you have the DLC on the system you wouldn't be able to access the shop itself on the new gen console.

I guess worst case you would just have to log on to the last gen console to buy the gear you want.
The Vanguard Armory is a shop. The DLC is just early access versions of the vanguard armor and not the armory itself. Oh and it's also free to boot so no grinding glimmer.

So if I'm getting this right I can get the digital guardian edition right now for PS3, play until black friday when I'll be getting a PS4, and then get the PS4 version of the game and the expansion packs free while being able to transfer over my character progress, is that it?
Only 2 out of the scheduled 4 expansions are included in guardian edition, but yes that is correct.

Only 2 out of the scheduled 4 expansions are included in guardian edition, but yes that is correct.
Alright, kudos to Activision and Bungie for this seeing as I won't have to pay $1 more for the upgrade. And where'd you hear about four expansion packs? If that's the case, I'll be playing Destiny for a while.

Hmmm. Shoot.

I was anticipating on it being the entire pass.

Hope the DLC portions included in this pack are the only two with achievements.

Is there anywhere other than GameStop to pre-order the xbox 360 digital version?
Uh... just so people know: when you pre-order the 360 digital version from GS, you're actually paying for a $60 card. When you redeem the code, it adds $60 to your account, which can be used to buy anything on the marketplace. Depending on whether or not you have to pay taxes, that $60 may not be enough to cover your purchase of Destiny. So make sure you have enough money or an alternative payment method on hand when you buy the digital version.

So the content is linked to your account right? I can't split the cost with a friend let him download 360 ver then I download XB1 ver?

Uh... just so people know: when you pre-order the 360 digital version from GS, you're actually paying for a $60 card. When you redeem the code, it adds $60 to your account, which can be used to buy anything on the marketplace. Depending on whether or not you have to pay taxes, that $60 may not be enough to cover your purchase of Destiny. So make sure you have enough money or an alternative payment method on hand when you buy the digital version.
Are you absolutely sure about this? I am familiar with the way that Gamestop does digital DLC in this manner. The Expansion Pack page clearly states "This is a purchase of Xbox LIVE currency. You may redeem the currency for the content shown or for other".

However, the digital download page for Destiny does not have that specification.

This only applies to Xbox, correct? Because I remember sharing COD maps with my brother on PS3 after he just created an account on his PS3 and downloaded them, but played them under his name but on the PS3. Why would Destiny be any different?

Are you absolutely sure about this? I am familiar with the way that Gamestop does digital DLC in this manner. The Expansion Pack page clearly states "This is a purchase of Xbox LIVE currency. You may redeem the currency for the content shown or for other".

However, the digital download page for Destiny does not have that specification.
My friend preordered digital Destiny for the XB1 from GS and this happened to him. He had to shell out money on top of the $60 when he tried to preload it. Maybe it's different for the 360? Idk. Just warning people.

My friend preordered digital Destiny for the XB1 from GS and this happened to him. He had to shell out money on top of the $60 when he tried to preload it. Maybe it's different for the 360? Idk. Just warning people.
The Xbox One page for Destiny also has the disclaimer about it being Xbox live currency. For some reason the 360 version does not. Weird.

Might cancel the ps4 reservation at Best Buy I have... Had $100 of PSN credit and this seems like a very decent way of spending it.

Decisions decisions.  Maybe I'll switch my preorder to ps3 digital gaurdian.

bread's done
Back