Purchase Destiny Digital version for PS3/360 Get a Free upgrade to PS4/Xbox One Version

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

As title says. Buy a digital version of Destiny for 360 or PS3 and get a free upgrade to the Xbox One/PS4 digital version. Kind of a PSA more than a real deal but saw this at Neogaf.

Note 1: You must claim the Xbox One (standard or digital guardian) or PS4 version (standard or digital guardian) by January 15th 2015. You can do this online without even owning a PS4 or Xbox One console.  Simply go to the respective companies online store and claim your free upgrade license (by January 15th). If you do this you can then download the upgraded version at any time in the future.

Note 2: the deal is not cross console. You can't buy the 360 version then upgrade to the PS4 version. You have to do 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked through the thread and not sure if I saw this specific question...

I have a physical Limited Edition pre-ordered from Best Buy for XB1 and that was appealing because it comes with the expansion DLC content.  I am also interested in taking advantage of this deal though.  My question is, can I buy the standard digital edition on XB360, upgrade to XB1 for free, then redeem the expansion DLC voucher on XB1 and have the content be there for the 360 too?  Or are we thinking I have to buy the deluxe edition on the 360 in order to have that content enabled on the 360 without having to re-pay?

I have a physical Limited Edition pre-ordered from Best Buy for XB1 and that was appealing because it comes with the expansion DLC content. I am also interested in taking advantage of this deal though. My question is, can I buy the standard digital edition on XB360, upgrade to XB1 for free, then redeem the expansion DLC voucher on XB1 and have the content be there for the 360 too? Or are we thinking I have to buy the deluxe edition on the 360 in order to have that content enabled on the 360 without having to re-pay?
on the site it talks about the dlc also going from 360 to xb1. I'm 99% sure it won't work the opposite way though. So yeah, you will have to buy it on 360 if you wanted to do it that way.

I had no interest in buying this right away but I'm thinking my son will be asking for it as soon as he sees it at a friends house.

So buying digital and game sharing so we both have it and now this ps4 option makes it likely I'll be buying it from PSN.

Question:  Can you game share purchased DLC/online maps etc..?

I attempted this one time with Black Ops, originally on my system and tried putting DLC on his but could never get it to work but maybe I did something wrong.  So if I buy 1 set of Destiny DLC in the future, can we both share it? (on ps3's, not worried about ps4 right now)

Thx

on the site it talks about the dlc also going from 360 to xb1. I'm 99% sure it won't work the opposite way though. So yeah, you will have to buy it on 360 if you wanted to do it that way.
I doubt any digital content bought on Xbox One or PS4 will allow you to get the previous gen version. This is a digital UPGRADE offer... not downgrade. If you want both current and previous gen versions. You need to buy previous gen digital version. This applies to the base game and Season pass as Bungie's site states.

I feel so silly, but I may grab this digitally on the 360 just to take part of the deal, despite already having the Digital Guardians edition on the Ps4.

How long does it take for GameStop to send digital codes over after purchasing them from their website?

Was about to hop on this deal from Best Buy until I realized that digital pre-orders are not eligible for the $10 in rewards certificates.  Also, digital versions are not eligible for the 20% off for gamers unlocked (basically a $12.00 savings on a $59.99 game).  This would essentially have me paying $22.00 more just for the ability to play a few games with friends on the PS3.

Looks like I'll be sticking to my physical hard copy pre-order for the PS4 version at Best Buy.  The good thing is that the game is free for me since they cancelled my original Limited Edition pre-order and gave me a $50.00 credit.  The game will only be $47.99 with my GCU and after the credit is applied I pay nothing. I may just pick up the expansion pass now.

Thanks to Peyton and others for answering my question.  This is still a very good deal for those that are interested.

I still should be able to get this deal if I download it from the 360 store on Tuesday, right?

No need to preorder at GameStop?

I still should be able to get this deal if I download it from the 360 store on Tuesday, right?

The upgrade is available until the end of the year, you might just want to pre-order for their pre-order bonus -shrugs-

As long as your buy it digitally and its in your account, you can access the next gen version and add it to your account until jan. 15th

Woot downloading Destiny to the PS3. Maybe the PSN doesn't have the added bonuses from other places, but having the game ready to go on the launch day seems like a nice bonus imo :twoguns:

I don't see the digital version for X360 in the Xbox Live Marketplace. Plus, none of the stores is selling the X360 version. Anyone know what is going on here? Is it just that they are giving more love to the PS3? How are we suppose to take advantage of the upgrade to XB1 if they are not selling the digital version for X360?

I don't see the digital version for X360 in the Xbox Live Marketplace. Plus, none of the stores is selling the X360 version. Anyone know what is going on here? Is it just that they are giving more love to the PS3? How are we suppose to take advantage of the upgrade to XB1 if they are not selling the digital version for X360?
I don't think its going to be out until Tuesday. I think that the xbl servers wouldn't be able to handle xb1 and 360 fl all at the same time, but we'll see, I guess.

I don't think its going to be out until Tuesday. I think that the xbl servers wouldn't be able to handle xb1 and 360 fl all at the same time, but we'll see, I guess.
So Sony gets the love first for PS3 to PS4. Let's hope they'll have the Digital Guardian Edition on Tuesday. Which also means that people wont get the pre-order bonuses. :(

does anyone know how much space destiny takes up on the ps3? i have an old 80gb and i'm running out of room. thanks in advance.

ok so im clear

1. if i buy digital version of destiny for the 360 from gamestop there just going to send me microsoft point

2. i dont see on xbox 360 were i can buy the 360 version so were can i get it at when i get my points

3. once purchsed however thee going to do it ill have the xbox one version also.

does anyone know how much space destiny takes up on the ps3? i have an old 80gb and i'm running out of room. thanks in advance.
7.4gb and you can always delete games you're not playing if you run out of space all the while keeping the saves.

ok so im clear

1. if i buy digital version of destiny for the 360 from gamestop there just going to send me microsoft point

2. i dont see on xbox 360 were i can buy the 360 version so were can i get it at when i get my points

3. once purchsed however thee going to do it ill have the xbox one version also.
If you're unclear, on anything, I would just read the posts on this page. It answers all of those questions multiple times.

sony is retarded, they told me they were going to cancel my ps4 version and to order the ps3 version but when I get refunded they refunded the ps3 version  I placed after the refund request 

I cant believe Microsoft has not announced any further information on this.

At this point I am likely to simply preorder/preload an X1 copy when I get home from work.

Digital preorders just aren't really a thing that exists on Xbox 360 like they do on PS3/PS4/Xbone. I could be wrong but has there ever been a :360: game that you could buy on XBLM before its release date? The download will become available on the XBLM on Tuesday, you can either just buy it from the console or website then, or preorder a code from Gamestop, which they'll probably email on Tuesday.

Digital preorders just aren't really a thing that exists on Xbox 360 like they do on PS3/PS4/Xbone. I could be wrong but has there ever been a :360: game that you could buy on XBLM before its release date? The download will become available on the XBLM on Tuesday, you can either just buy it from the console or website then, or preorder a code from Gamestop, which they'll probably email on Tuesday.
No they haven't had preloading before on the 360 at all but the biggest concern is that according to Bungie's wording it would seem that the 360 is only getting the base game and no Digital Guardian Edition

Yeah, that does seem to be the case. I guess it's possible that the Digital Guardian Edition could show up on the XBLM tomorrow, otherwise it seems like :360: just isn't getting the DGE for whatever reason.

I have a physical Limited Edition pre-ordered from Best Buy for XB1 and that was appealing because it comes with the expansion DLC content. I am also interested in taking advantage of this deal though. My question is, can I buy the standard digital edition on XB360, upgrade to XB1 for free, then redeem the expansion DLC voucher on XB1 and have the content be there for the 360 too? Or are we thinking I have to buy the deluxe edition on the 360 in order to have that content enabled on the 360 without having to re-pay?

I doubt any digital content bought on Xbox One or PS4 will allow you to get the previous gen version. This is a digital UPGRADE offer... not downgrade. If you want both current and previous gen versions. You need to buy previous gen digital version. This applies to the base game and Season pass as Bungie's site states.
I am in the same situation with buying the limited for XB1 but interested in this deal so I can stack the game on both systems. For some reason I feel that the guardians pass and other LE content will be available for you on the 360 as well if you redeem/buy it on the XB1, or at least I hope it will be. I know this is activision here but seems excessive even for them to ask people to buy the pass twice.

Has anyone tried tweeting to bungie or destiny account to ask that question?

I guess a similar situation would be if anyone bought the CoD Ghosts season pass on XB1/PS4, were they able to get the season pass content if they played the 360/PS3 version?

its probably seen as two different games.I very seriously doubt itnwould go from new consoleto old. Risk wasting money if you want to know so bad, but we still won't know until Tuesday for certain. As far as the guardian edition, it will probably come out for 360.

[quote name="wolve" post="12074291" timestamp="1410128513"]Well just used a $50 Gamestop gift card to preorder X360 digital version.Yeah I know they'll just send me Xbox credit, but figured might as well get sparrow bonus. :p

Speaking of Gamestop, I don't see the $50 gc I used anywhere on the order confirmation e-mail or on website. Is that normal?[/quote]

I want to try this at gamestop today but if you get a preorder code to buy it at midnight, when can you download the xbox 1 version? Or should I just buy from my 360?

its probably seen as two different games.I very seriously doubt itnwould go from new consoleto old. Risk wasting money if you want to know so bad, but we still won't know until Tuesday for certain. As far as the guardian edition, it will probably come out for 360.
I'm just going to hold off and wait for more info at this point. It is not like we can actually pre-order and pre-load the 360 version anyways. I'll pick up my LE tomorrow and I'm sure there will be info out by then. I was considering picking it up at midnight, but with how slow most content on the xb1 downloads and install I doubt I'd be playing until 3am, lol.

Are these 2 expansion packs covered in the season pass even available for download at launch or do they release at a later date?

Are these 2 expansion packs covered in the season pass even available for download at launch or do they release at a later date?
First one comes out in December. And IIRC there's nothing extra with the season pass that unlocks right away, so there's no reason to buy it until the first expansion is imminent.

I have the LE for PS4 pre-ordered at Best Buy. But it seems that going with the digital Vanguard Edition on PS3 is a no-brainer. That way I could download the game on both my wife and my PS3 and still download the PS4 version on my PS4. Unless I'm missing something?

i preordered ps3 version its wanting to charge me for ps4 version wth how do i preload ps4 version or do i have ot wait till game is out or psn tuesday store update weithero ne top lay ps4 version for free.

you just have to wait and hope at midnight tonight or sometime tomorrow with a store update the ps4 version also unlocks for you, everyone has the same issue.

right now if you digitally preorder the PS3 edition you do NOT get the ps4 version "for free", but maybe it'll change when the game actually launches

I am in the same situation with buying the limited for XB1 but interested in this deal so I can stack the game on both systems. For some reason I feel that the guardians pass and other LE content will be available for you on the 360 as well if you redeem/buy it on the XB1, or at least I hope it will be. I know this is activision here but seems excessive even for them to ask people to buy the pass twice.

Has anyone tried tweeting to bungie or destiny account to ask that question?

I guess a similar situation would be if anyone bought the CoD Ghosts season pass on XB1/PS4, were they able to get the season pass content if they played the 360/PS3 version?

As I stated in my post that you quoted, this is an UPGRADE deal, not downgrade. You need to buy the last- gen version to get the current gen version of the game. So you need to buy the Xbox 360 LE to get the Xbox One versions of the game and season pass. Why is that so hard to understand?

If you insist on sticking with buying the Xbox One version, then that's your choice / problem. And this promotion is specific to Destiny and has nothing to do with any other game.

When I look at dlc for the expansion pass on 360 it says:

Purchasing this digital content entitles you to both the digital 360 and Xbox One versions. Offer expires 1/15/15. Content available following the game's launch.

Anyways, that made me wonder what the details for the Xbox one dlc and expansion say. Can anyone check it on their console? Might give some people insight into some of the questions. AT least a more definite answer than we've got now.

As I stated in my post that you quoted, this is an UPGRADE deal, not downgrade. You need to buy the last- gen version to get the current gen version of the game. So you need to buy the Xbox 360 LE to get the Xbox One versions of the game and season pass. Why is that so hard to understand?

If you insist on sticking with buying the Xbox One version, then that's your choice / problem. And this promotion is specific to Destiny and has nothing to do with any other game.
Yea like I said, you are probably right that it won't work from XB1->360 on the season pass, but nobody really knows for sure yet until someone tries it.

I'm still doing the same thing either way, picking up the XB1 LE tomorrow and I'll just hold onto it until more info is out. Unless the base or digital guardians edition shows up for 360 which probably isn't happening today. Since none of the content for the season pass comes out for months it isn't like I have to make a hasty decision.

When I look at dlc for the expansion pass on 360 it says:

Purchasing this digital content entitles you to both the digital 360 and Xbox One versions. Offer expires 1/15/15. Content available following the game's launch.

Anyways, that made me wonder what the details for the Xbox one dlc and expansion say. Can anyone check it on their console? Might give some people insight into some of the questions. AT least a more definite answer than we've got now.
I looked at the dlc pack descriptions on xbox.com for the XB1 version and it doesn't mention 360 so I'd say it is unlikely the season pass content will be available on 360 if you buy/redeem for XB1.

Also noticed that even if you preload on XB1 that you cant play until 3am EST. Guess there is no way i'm playing this tonight unless I go and pickup at midnight launch.

the xb1 games don't say anything about the 360 at all. I would treat it as its own game if you buy it on xb1. I wouldn't expect to get anything to go backwards. If you can wait three days for someone to figure out t he hard way what it already says, more power to you.​

I have the LE for PS4 pre-ordered at Best Buy. But it seems that going with the digital Vanguard Edition on PS3 is a no-brainer. That way I could download the game on both my wife and my PS3 and still download the PS4 version on my PS4. Unless I'm missing something?

You got it. So long as you know how to do license transfer the right way for the two ps3

How so? Do you mean I can't just log into my PSN account on the wife's PS3 and start downloading from the Download List? That's what I've always done previously?
I have the same question. I was going to just go with the physical hardcopy but after hearing from friends who don't have a PS4 I opted to go with the Digital Guardian version. I was hoping to download the PS3 version to the 2 PS3s that I have since I'd like to play it wherever I'm at in the house. With DLC for all games it will allow you to download it to 2 systems. I'm hoping this is the same.

Hey Peyton--can you share some more insight?

I have the same question. I was going to just go with the physical hardcopy but after hearing from friends who don't have a PS4 I opted to go with the Digital Guardian version. I was hoping to download the PS3 version to the 2 PS3s that I have since I'd like to play it wherever I'm at in the house. With DLC for all games it will allow you to download it to 2 systems. I'm hoping this is the same.

Everything I've read seems to say that is the case, which it is with other games I've done that with, in particular the $10 upgrade games from the PS4 launch. I don't see how this would be any different but I want to make sure before I download. If it isn't the case and I won't be able to play with the wife AND have a PS4 copy, I'd be pretty salty.

I really don't want to play with anyone else in my house.  I just want to be able to play the game in my den or move into the family room if I feel like it.  It would blow if you could only download the PS3 version one time.

Everything I've read seems to say that is the case, which it is with other games I've done that with, in particular the $10 upgrade games from the PS4 launch. I don't see how this would be any different but I want to make sure before I download. If it isn't the case and I won't be able to play with the wife AND have a PS4 copy, I'd be pretty salty.
Yeah, I would say to dl it on the wifes ps3, with your gt, then download it to your ps3, so you can play it on yours. Then dl on PS4. I'm not sure how DLC works though. The only way I would know to try it any differently would be to dl to her ps3, then dl to your ps4, then try downloading it to your ps3 as a license transfer. Still should work either way, if it's going to work, but the first one would probably be safer, as it may be seen as the same game transferring from ps3 to ps4. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm soon. I just know it sucks waiting for someone to be able to try it. Especially if you want to play at launch. This deal is good for the rest of the year though, so at least if it does work that way, a lot of people can get it on multiple consoles for family/friends.

Did someone mention that there would be a code with new physical copies to upgrade? Similar to the PS3 to PS4 CoD: Ghosts upgrade voucher?

Just in case anyone is going through this and have questions:

I pre-ordered the PS3 version yesterday and it started downloading right away; however, I was not able to download the PS4 version for free. I contacted Playstation customer support and they told me that I should be able to see the free upgrade download on Tuesday.

Will let you know if it works...

The website for the promo explicitly addresses this.

Q. If I pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 digital version, when will my PlayStation®4 digital version of Destiny be available?
The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load.

bread's done
Back