(Randomly OOS @ EB.com) Paper Mario (GC) $20 at EB B&M & EB.com - Back at $30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='alive741']They can't do it--my girlfriend is a 1st year lawyer right out of law school. She said they CANNOT do it.[/QUOTE]

Can't do what?

[quote name='alive741']They can't do it--my girlfriend is a 1st year lawyer right out of law school. She said they CANNOT do it.[/QUOTE]

If they don't, is she ready for a class-action lawsuit?

Coming in late in this thread, but I was talking to the manager of my local EB this afternoon. He mentioned the drop & rebate, and said that a email had been sent to the stores saying the two deals don't stack. It *does* say on the rebate form that it can't be combined with other offers...tho no idea if a price drop qualifies.

Personally, if I didn't already own the game I'd definitely buy it & try. Worst case, you get a great game for $20. My gut says they'll honor the rebate tho.

I'm an attorney as well. Whether or not it is illegal or immoral is actually besides the point, rebates are not redeemed all of the time. Just check out the FatWallet forums and read the rebate horror stories from places like TigerDirect and certain specific rebate houses, i.e. CompUSA's affiliation with the New Rochelle rebate center. Anyhow, there is a big difference between the practical knowledge and application of the law and the theory of it. A lot of things can happen to a letter after it is dropped off into the always trustworthy US Postal service. So let's stop all of the screaming and crying of "that's illegal' at least for now......

i got the insurance thing for 2.00 on my game. Do i need to show them my reciept for it to work? or would a photocopy work if i sent it in for the rebate?

[quote name='lurknomore']I'm an attorney as well. Whether or not it is illegal or immoral is actually besides the point, rebates are not redeemed all of the time. Just check out the FatWallet forums and read the rebate horror stories from places like TigerDirect and certain specific rebate houses, i.e. CompUSA's affiliation with the New Rochelle rebate center. Anyhow, there is a big difference between the practical knowledge and application of the law and the theory of it. A lot of things can happen to a letter after it is dropped off into the always trustworthy US Postal service. So let's stop all of the screaming and crying of "that's illegal' at least for now......[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And they can always argue (and probably successfully) that their 'sale' price is another offer.

Don't be greedy. You're already getting it for $10 cheaper than the rebate was allowing you to.

I picked up my copy today, thanks OP.

$20 is a great price for this game, and I am happy to have it. However, I am going to try to get the voucher, but if I don't, I'm not going to cry about it.

Consider this: The game was marked at $19.99 on the shelf, the catalogs were on the counter, and the clerk who sold it to me said nothing about the voucher. I grab a catalog and when I am home, I flip thru the it and discover the form for the voucher. So if I didn't read about it here, I would mail the form & receipt expecting to receive a $20 gift voucher.

Can EB afford to not send me the voucher? It IS a system designed to get me back into the store to spend more money, right? If they don't send it to me, they risk ticking me off and I refuse to shop at EB again. If they do send it to me, they pretty much guarantee that I go into one of their stores at least once more. :)

No offense to anyone here, but most of you are overreacting. The gift voucher is in the catalog where PM is priced at 49.99. If you buy it at 49.99 you get the voucher. The voucher says that it can't be combined with any other offer or discount. This is NOT a price drop. It is a SALE price. Price drop = permanent. Sale = temporary. This SALE price is a better offer than the rebate voucher.

It's not false advertising as it's not advertised at the 19.99 price ANYWHERE. And that's what the small print is for anyway. It's a catchall.

Buy the game for the game. It kicks butt and it happens to be really cheap right now. Killer combo

The voucher does say:
Some exclusions may apply. See sales associate for complete details.
After the email, sales associates now understand that the rebate doesn't apply on the $20 price. It sounds like a valid exclusion. Combine that with the no stacking clause, it sounds like EB has a solid out. I can't bring myself to complain too loudly about a solid AAA title for $20.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']The $9.99 price on Syphon Filter last month was temporary as well though since it's now at $24.99, and they honored the vouchers for that
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/236692.asp[/QUOTE]

Here's how EB prices slow selling games.
1. game doesn't sell well...price drop.
2. game still doesn't sell well...drop again.
3. game gets dropped really cheap (sometimes combined with gift voucher offer)...game sells really well.
4. Home office sees that the game is selling well.
5. game gets jacked back up in price.

same things happens with all the cheap games that sell. Home office thinks the demand for the game is now high (though they are wrong). It's not the only thing they do wrong. This voucher situation is a big mistake in my book. But I'm not speaking officially.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']If it was Nintendo who lowered the price, then wouldn't EB just be reimbursed for the price reduction (since it would be a manufacturer's price drop)?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts Exactly Yoshi. Plus if this was Nintendo who did it, would this mean that there is going to be a universal price drop if so then I could have GGCed it or gone else where, but oh well too late now....read on in next post.

[quote name='schultzed']I'm going to mail it in and hope for the best . . . but I think we could also make our voice heard on this.

but I'm not going to jump to conclusions . . . EB has been good on these so far.[/QUOTE]

Well I decided that I would just keep the game since the price point wasn't too bad and that I would try my luck with the voucher and hope for the best as you say. Besides, the rebate center I've found out is not far from where I work so I could always drop by ;):lol:.

Also, EB's been good to me and us in the post, on various deals and on voucher specific deals (i.e. the Syphon Filter debacle) so hopefully they'll do the right thing in the end and give it to us. Still, no love lost.

Also, let's say what were to happen if I had walked into EBgames a couple of days ago when first word of the deal had surfaced saw the game was 19.99, picked it up, and then later at home found the mail in rebate without its list exclusions applying to PM or a direct price telling me a certain price point had to have been reached before it could be used. And Also don't forget that the Employee at EB didn't tell me that there was anything wrong with it with any other deal. Would they also deny me it then as well? Oh well, still it's a good deal and now I can let my bro. keep the one I gave him.

[quote name='I D 10 T']Um, Nintendo was the one who lowered the price to $20, from the first few posts in this topic.[/QUOTE]

I've checked most other stores and it hasn't happened anywhere else YET (it is possible though). I don't think it's universal. And yes, if this were a universal price drop EB would be price protected.

[quote name='Ziv']The gift voucher is in the catalog where PM is priced at 49.99. If you buy it at 49.99 you get the voucher. The voucher says that it can't be combined with any other offer or discount. This is NOT a price drop. It is a SALE price. Price drop = permanent. Sale = temporary. This SALE price is a better offer than the rebate voucher.[/QUOTE]Ziv is correct. If the voucher sales "can not be combined with other discounts", that means you have to pay the full retail price for Paper Mario = $49.99 - $20 voucher = $29.99.

You can't get both $30 off sale and the voucher at the same time.

At both JCpenney and Sears, we had lots of these coupons. You could use the coupon -or- you could get the sale price. You couldn't use both at the same time, and it clearly stated so on the back of the voucher.

But of course, customers don't bother to read anything. They just throw a fit.

troy

I read. I'm fully aware of this, but I didn't think or know it is a sale. In fact, I'm still convinced that this is not simply a sale.... If it is, then they'd be placing it in the ads with the game big and the price tag in a HUGE starburst... Rather, it is just simply 20 bux without any advertisement.... which leads me to thinking that it is simply a permanent price drop and that EB is the first to carry out the universal price drop.

Instead of thinking, WHY NOT JUST ASK? EBgames will tell you whether $19.99 is "regular price" or a "sale price", and clear up your confusion.

[quote name='slidecage']not quite. I figure by the time you pay taxes and listing fees you be lucky to break 10 buck profit if it sell for 35.. Then the hassel of driving to the post office and making sure the people get their game.[/QUOTE]Smart ebay sellers don't pay fees. They charge them to the customer via the "shipping & handling" = $4-5. (And before someone has a fit, I want to point out that amazon, sears, and other retailers do exactly the same thing. Stores don't pay their own bills... they charge them to the customer.)

So $35 auction price +$5 handling fee - $5 ebay/paypal fees - $20 purchase price = ~$15 profit for each game.

Also, you seem to doubt a seller could get $35, but I don't. I bet I could sell a Paper Mario Sealed game for close to store retail price ($40)..... I'd probably get $35.

I bought FF10-2 for $50... and turned around and sold it for $55. I bought Skies of Arcadia for $40 and sold it for $49. Many people don't look for bargains. They just buy it, and don't care how much they pay. We Ebayers profit from their foolish spending.

;-D

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Ziv is correct. If the voucher sales "can not be combined with other discounts", that means you have to pay the full retail price for Paper Mario = $49.99 - $20 voucher = $29.99.

You can't get both $30 off sale and the voucher at the same time.

At both JCpenney and Sears, we had lots of these coupons. You could use the coupon -or- you could get the sale price. You couldn't use both at the same time, and it clearly stated so on the back of the voucher.

But of course, customers don't bother to read anything. They just throw a fit.

troy[/QUOTE]

I know it's fun for disgruntled retail employees to bash customers online, but EB selling Paper Mario for $20 has not been advertised as a "sale" in-store or in advertisements or *anywhere.* How is ANYONE supposed to know that this is a "sale" if the store doesn't indicate it as such in any way, shape, or form? There was nothing for anyone TO read in this case. Unless we were supposed to read the minds of the EB head honchos and realize that they'd attempt to cover their asses after realizing what happend. It's not like stores don't have price drops all the time.

In my case, I went to EB (not having read about this deal on CAG yet) to buy Pikmin, and the guy working there told me about it, so I obviously picked up a free Paper Mario instead. This will be a double dose of bullshit for me if they don't send the voucher, because not only will they be going against what they advertised in their flyer, but one of their own employees pointed out to me that the $20 rebate would work on a $20 copy of Paper Mario. (Not ripping the employee, by the way. He seems cool and it was nice of him to tell me about this.)

In an odd sort of way, I think that this will be the beginning of the end of our good times with EB . . . if they hold their ground on this. I have to agree that they ought to honor this deal . . . I wasn't informed by the clerk that they couldn't be combined!

But the big blow is coming if they combine with Gamestop . . .

[quote name='schultzed']In an odd sort of way, I think that this will be the beginning of the end of our good times with EB . . .[/QUOTE]
Well, regarding EB, I will say that they have really good prices on used stuff and the like, but their customer service in B&M has always been utter shit, in my experience. Some of the pushiest, most obnoxious, most bitter, and least helpful clerks I've ever met, at every EB I've ever been to.

Reality's Fringe said:
So, is anyone actually enjoying their brand new $19.99 Non-PC(for now, if it even has gone PC) copy of Paper Mario 2?
Hell yes. It's a great game, just like the first. You don't have to complain at us twice. :roll:

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Hell yes. It's a great game, just like the first. You don't have to complain at us twice. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I just love it so much *sniff sniff*

Reality's Fringe said:
I just love it so much *sniff sniff*
As well you should. :) I just would have liked to get the $20 back, so I could get Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life for $10.

Paper Mario is worth $20, no doubt, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about getting it for that price. But if I could have gotten it basically for free, well, I just wish that could have happened, too. It has nothing to do with not thinking the game is worth that much...it just has to do with being a first-class cheap ass. ;)

Why do you want "Another Wonderful Life"?

Just buy "A Wonderful Life" for $10 cheaper, they are pretty much the same thing.

And PAper Mario is back in stock for $20.

Well, personally i want another wonderful life for the stuffed dog. I have the stuffed cow from a wonderful life and the stuffed fish from finny the fish. Plus i really like harvest moon games.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']...
Paper Mario is worth $20, no doubt, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about getting it for that price. ...
[/QUOTE]

Paper Mario is worth $50 :)

[quote name='fieldkillah']Well, personally i want another wonderful life for the stuffed dog. I have the stuffed cow from a wonderful life and the stuffed fish from finny the fish. Plus i really like harvest moon games.[/QUOTE]

is the dog in stores now?

[quote name='David85']Why do you want "Another Wonderful Life"?

Just buy "A Wonderful Life" for $10 cheaper, they are pretty much the same thing.

And PAper Mario is back in stock for $20.[/QUOTE]

Adjusted OP to reflect this, also adjusted title of OP.

If you buy it in store, it should ring up at 19.99 instead of 49.99. Then also pickup the May magazine (free) that they have and you will find a $20 mail-in-rebate for this game. SWEET! picked one up yesterday.

[quote name='j180883']If you buy it in store, it should ring up at 19.99 instead of 49.99. Then also pickup the May magazine (free) that they have and you will find a $20 mail-in-rebate for this game. SWEET! picked one up yesterday.[/QUOTE]

REALLY ???!?!?!?!

[quote name='gambitmachete']I know it's fun for disgruntled retail employees to bash customers online, but EB selling Paper Mario for $20 has not been advertised as a "sale" in-store or in advertisements or *anywhere.* How is ANYONE supposed to know that this is a "sale" if the store doesn't indicate it as such in any way, shape, or form? [/QUOTE]ASK.

If EB is like Penneys, they will have a sale price this week, put it back to retail next week, and then have a permanent markdown to $20 on the third week.

Also it's not "fun" for me to bash my customers. But when a guy or gal comes to me and says, "I want to use this coupon," and I point to the back where it says in bold - Not To Be Used For Sales - and instead of saying, "Oh okay," they have a hissy fit and call me names....

...I think I have a right to be frustrated. THEY made the mistake of not reading the coupon. Why are they yelling at me????? They should be yelling *at themselves* for being too stupid to read the damn coupon.

MOST of the time I enjoyed working in retail, but there's always that ONE dickwad that comes along once per week, throws a temper tantrum, calls you names, and basically ruins your day.

troy

Reality's Fringe said:
So, is anyone actually enjoying their brand new $19.99 Non-PC(for now, if it even has gone PC) copy of Paper Mario 2?
I don't have PM2 yet (still in the mail truck), but I'm hoping it's better than PM1. That was one of the most boring RPGs I've ever played.

troy

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='David85']But the game is EXACTLY the same thing as the previous one.[/QUOTE]

How do you know this? It's not out yet, is it?

Yesterday I was in EB, on the chance that it might have a used copy of Cubivore. An employee saw me browsing through the GC section and mentioned how Paper Mario is basically free with the rebate. He opened up the catalog, showed the coupon, and had my sale based on that offer. I sent the rebate and recipt out yesterday.

While it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to not receive the rebate, being as this is an excellent game at $20 regardless of rebate, I'm more upset at being deceived. If a company dangles a carrot out and then yanks it away after its already been digested, they are going to engender a fair amount of enmity from me.

Just buy "A Wonderful Life" for $10 cheaper, they are pretty much the same thing.[/QUOTE]
Because I really love Harvest Moon games, and I'm trying to collect them. :?

[quote name='MadChedar0'][quote name='Coffeeedge']...
Paper Mario is worth $20, no doubt, and I can't imagine anyone complaining about getting it for that price. ...[/quote]
Paper Mario is worth $50 :)[/quote]
I had thought about saying that in my post, but I skipped it. :)

[quote name='heffaji']Yesterday I was in EB, on the chance that it might have a used copy of Cubivore. An employee saw me browsing through the GC section and mentioned how Paper Mario is basically free with the rebate. He opened up the catalog, showed the coupon, and had my sale based on that offer. I sent the rebate and recipt out yesterday.

While it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to not receive the rebate, being as this is an excellent game at $20 regardless of rebate, I'm more upset at being deceived. If a company dangles a carrot out and then yanks it away after its already been digested, they are going to engender a fair amount of enmity from me.[/QUOTE]

He shouldn't have told you that yesterday. We received the emails yesterday that the voucher wouldn't work. The thing is though, the $19.99 price went into affect on Tuesday. So I actually told any customers that were looking at GC games about the whole "deal." But we didn't get any notification it wouldn't work until the following day.

I honestly think the voucher will still work, it better! A customer assumes the voucher would work. The only way they can possibly know it wouldn't work is if an EB employee tells them otherwise. I think because of that the voucher will work for anyone who sends it in. The email was most likely sent so employees can discourage any customers from sending it in. That's how I feel anyways. It's a little low, I know.

Either way, send it in.

[quote name='Scoobert']He shouldn't have told you that yesterday. We received the emails yesterday that the voucher wouldn't work. The thing is though, the $19.99 price went into affect on Tuesday. So I actually told any customers that were looking at GC games about the whole "deal." But we didn't get any notification it wouldn't work until the following day.

I honestly think the voucher will still work, it better! A customer assumes the voucher would work. The only way they can possibly know it wouldn't work is if an EB employee tells them otherwise. I think because of that the voucher will work for anyone who sends it in. The email was most likely sent so employees can discourage any customers from sending it in. That's how I feel anyways. It's a little low, I know.

Either way, send it in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bet if you tell an EB manager that one of their clerks specifically told you about the deal, then they'll honor it.

That happened to me once at Blockbuster where I rented something a few days before new years and was told by one of their clerks that I wouldn't have to pay late fees (since it wouldn't be due until 2005), but it turned out that only started for people who rented things after new years, so they apologized and credited my fee towards my account.

It's a bit risky, because I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but they usually never follow these things up that closely, and will just give you credit to smooth things over. The only part that worries me is how are we going to prove to them that we never got our rebates? For all they know we're just trying to pick up a second one. Do they have a way to check?

That being said, I'm enjoying the game immensly. whenever I play it I cease to care about the voucher, but then I come back here and get irritated all over again. Oh well.

In case anyone purchased this game just because it was free after rebate(we all hope) and does not actually want the game.

The trade in valuse at FYE is $24.04 in cash and $30.00 in store credit.

Better option than bringing the game back to EB.

I went to EB to pick up a copy and the guy said they had only one left and I knew it was a display copy. There was another EB about 2 blocks away so I said I would go to the other one to get a sealed copy and the guy said let me check their inventory. (How can one store check the inventory of another EB store?) Anyway, he said they were all out and they were sending back all new copies back to the distributor so this was the LAST copy left. I walked out of the store and went over to the other one and guess what? They had 3 copies left. EB employees are good at bold face lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back