(Randomly OOS @ EB.com) Paper Mario (GC) $20 at EB B&M & EB.com - Back at $30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='pinoy530']The Syphon Filter one actually said Free after rebate on the form. (and notice this is free and not -$10)

The Paper mario voucher says absolutely nothing about price. All it says is receive a $20 EB games mail-in gift voucher when you purchase paper mario for gamecube.

The form is on page 40. On Page 39 is an ad for paper mario that says 29.99 after rebate, but this is nowhere on the rebate itself.

Im gonna send mine in and make a photo copy of the rebate.[/QUOTE]

Free means you didn't pay money for the game, even if you ended up getting money back in the process. They could've caught that and adjusted the voucher to match, and they didn't do that.

If the voucher doesn't say anything about the price of Paper Mario for the purchase, they have no reason to exclude it.

[quote name='alive741']They'll honor if it its sent out. They may not honor it after today because the clerks are telling people. If they don't honor it for the people who purchased yesterday or postmarked today, they could get sued. They'll honor it..hehe.

Another thing is, it advertises the price on a DIFFERENT page than the rebate form. The rebate form says nothing about a price or anything. It says in BIG print

Receive A $20 EB Games Mail-In Gift Voucher When You Purchase Paper Mario For GameCube

The small print is just a bunch of legal junk. I will type it out anyways incase anyone is wondering.

Mail this completed form along with your original sales receipt to EB Games Rebate Center/770 Pilot Road, Suite F/Las Vegas, NV 89119. $20 will be sent in the form of an EB Games gift voucher. No cash will be issued. Gift voucher cannot be redeemed for cash, except where prohibited by law. Gift vouchers are good toward future purchases at any EB Games, EBX or Electronics Boutique in the U.S. Or Puerto Rico. All incomplete forms will be discarded. EB Games is not responsible for lost and/or stolen mail-in and/or gift vouchers. While supplies last. Limit one per customer. Not valid on previous purchases. Not valid on pre-played games. Cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. No rainchecks will be issued. Some exclusions may apply. See sales associate for complete details. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Offer valid on purchases made between 5/23/2005 and 6/30/2005. Voucher must be postmarked by 7/14/05. Voucher ID 3608.[/QUOTE]

SEE this is what they are playing

Not valid on previous purchases. Not valid on pre-played games. Cannot be combined with any other offer or discount

they are saying that a Temp markdown is a discount and It Cant be combine with the Rebate.

[quote name='pinoy530']The Syphon Filter one actually said Free after rebate on the form. (and notice this is free and not -$10)

The Paper mario voucher says absolutely nothing about price. All it says is receive a $20 EB games mail-in gift voucher when you purchase paper mario for gamecube.

The form is on page 40. On Page 39 is an ad for paper mario that says 29.99 after rebate, but this is nowhere on the rebate itself.

Im gonna send mine in and make a photo copy of the rebate.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I plan to do. I always make copies of everything before I send it. I also like the comment from slidecage about contacting the credit card company. I may have a problem with that one since I used my $20 voucher from Syphon Filter to buy this. I think my total bill was like $8 with the other used games I ordered and tax.

Haha, it's funny how worked up I get about a $20 voucher when I would have gladly purchased the game for $20 without getting another voucher. It's not really the $$, it's more about principle. EB should do what's right and legal. The can has already been opened, they can't just close it and say it never happened.

Reality's Fringe said:
I find it sad that everyone is more concerned about the voucher (which I ahd a feeling would be stopped) rather than getting a GREAT deal on this game.

Part of the "GREAT deal on this game" was getting it for free after rebate. If I wanted to pay a full $20 plus tax, I could have gotten any of a number of other great games for that same money (or waited for the eventual Player's Choice value release of Paper Mario), so I think people who bought PM2 for $20 have every right to be upset about EB changing the rules in the middle of the game.

I was really hoping out for the $20 gift voucher. If there is none, then I'm kind of questionable on getting it since I can always grab the one I gave my brother if I need to play it and I can just wait for the eventual $20 universal price drop. Doesn't have to be at EB. Now I'm really not sure what to do with recent findings.

I really hope we can get more confirmation on this. When I was at the store yesterday they were all cool about the rebate and said that for sure that it would come, especially since the rebate place was in the same town that I live in.

[quote name='hotwls13']
Haha, it's funny how worked up I get about a $20 voucher when I would have gladly purchased the game for $20 without getting another voucher. It's not really the $$, it's more about principle. EB should do what's right and legal. The can has already been opened, they can't just close it and say it never happened.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine today, would have bought it anyways without the voucher, but I'm pissed that they are not allowing us to use our vouchers now. Why? Principle of it, and I'm sending mine in, just for the hell of it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I was really hoping out for the $20 gift voucher. If there is none, then I'm kind of questionable on getting it since I can always grab the one I gave my brother if I need to play it and I can just wait for the eventual $20 universal price drop. Doesn't have to be at EB. Now I'm really not sure what to do with recent findings.

I really hope we can get more confirmation on this. When I was at the store yesterday they were all cool about the rebate and said that for sure that it would come, especially since the rebate place was in the same town that I live in.[/QUOTE]

hiccuple pays them a visit and tells them that CAG is not happy with their shennanigans? :rofl:

[quote name='hotwls13']Exactly what I plan to do. I always make copies of everything before I send it. I also like the comment from slidecage about contacting the credit card company. I may have a problem with that one since I used my $20 voucher from Syphon Filter to buy this. I think my total bill was like $8 with the other used games I ordered and tax.

Haha, it's funny how worked up I get about a $20 voucher when I would have gladly purchased the game for $20 without getting another voucher. It's not really the $$, it's more about principle. EB should do what's right and legal. The can has already been opened, they can't just close it and say it never happened.[/QUOTE]

Just because you paid for it with a voucher shouldn't matter. They're the same as gift card, as far as the register sees it.

I picked up Hot Shots Golf Fore for $20 and was damn happy to get it for that price. The voucher was just sweeter, and in any case, it's not "money", it's only usable to save purchase price for something at EB. Real money, like from a rebate, I can use anywhere.

Might have to pick this up for the voucher (could probably recoup the 20 PM price on ebay since I picked this up last week for 10 bucks using my Hot Shots voucher)

Great deal on a great day... anyone with a gamecube must get this game

Do you think it matters if the rebate is postmarked today or tomorrow? Because I have my receipt saying I bought it yesterday, but left the rebate at home. I could send tomorrow though. I think the date purchased would refelct whether or not the deal flies more than the post-marked date.

[quote name='KongaKing']They have to honor it. Nothing in the ad says a minium price or anything like that. It isn't our fault the game was cheaper.[/QUOTE]

You haven't been here very long I see. LOL

We've been down this road before, whenever a company decides to "cop out" on a deal like this, we never get anything. We won't this time, but it will sure be fun to bitch out some people over the phone, it's a tension reliever. :)

Everyone needs to chill. Don't call and complain...just send the rebate in. Worse comes to worse you lose a little bit of postage.

[quote name='David85']So because you can't get a good game for free, you are returning it? It's not like they were ripping you off for $20 price.

And no one is going to sue them, because if some dumbass tries then they will just give you the $20.[/QUOTE]

I never said I felt like I was getting ripped-off. As I said in another post, I wasn't a big fan of Paper Mario, but the $20 voucher was what made me pick it up. If I'm not getting the voucher, I don't want the game. There are dozens of other $20 games that I'd want to buy before I get Paper Mario.

And I don't know why everyone keeps saying that this game is free. Getting a $20 EB voucher in the mail 2 weeks after you buy the game doesn't make it "free". You are basically just buying yourself a $20 EB gift card and getting a game with it. If they were sending you a rebate check that you could cash, it'd be free but this definitely isn't. Still a killer deal though.

[quote name='norkusa']I never said I felt like I was getting ripped-off. As I said in another post, I wasn't a big fan of Paper Mario, but the $20 voucher was what made me pick it up. If I'm not getting the voucher, I don't want the game. There are dozens of other $20 games that I'd want to buy before I get Paper Mario.

And I don't know why everyone keeps saying that this game is free. Getting a $20 EB voucher in the mail 2 weeks after you buy the game doesn't make it "free". You are basically just buying yourself a $20 EB gift card and getting a game with it. If they were sending you a rebate check that you could cash, it'd be free but this definitely isn't. Still a killer deal though.[/QUOTE]

But this is ripping us off. $20 for Paper Mario IS a great deal, but not the deal we were advertised. If they merely said it was a misprint BEFORE we all bought the game that would be one thing, but selling it to us, and then backing out of the second half of the deal can't be legal, because people (like me) will have already opened their copies expecting the rebate. since my copy has been opened I can no longer return it, which blows since I never would've paid $20 for it.

Still, we can complain and might get something done. I would reccomend making copies of your receipt, and keeping a second copy of the ad, so if it doesn't go through you can explain it to EB and they'd probably do SOMETHING about it. Maybe meet halfway and give you a $10 voucher or osmething.

They're trying to pass this off as a temp-price drop to void the voucher, but as we've all seen, there has been nothing saying it is on sale or anything.

We might as well send the vouchers in, as we have no room to bitch yet since we can't prove nothing will happen. I can't complain to EB yet, since the only way i know this is void is through CAG which I cannot tell them, so the anticipation makes me uneasy.

You'll get the rebate if you send it in and qualify and meet the terms of the fine print (nowhere does it say what price it had to be bought at). Since it seems like they are taking a hardline with this, they might give you more of a hard time with sending in the the proper UPC code instead of a photocopy and the game having to be bought in-store instead of online to qualify, but they have no ground to reject you otherwise. They're just scaring you away from it.

Worked for $9.99 Syphon Filter ($20 Voucher) and worked for THUG 2 and Call of Duty at $29.99 ($20 voucher each) when all 3 were temp price dropped.

Well that sucks. I ordered online before reading that the voucher won't work with online orders. Call to cancel to find out it's too late as it's shipping already. Then planned to return it to store and rebuy to get voucher, and now find out no vouchers for $20 orders period.

And on top of that it's likely a price drop meaning we could get it for $5 less at Best Buy with coupon. Guess I'll just return it if it ends up being an official price drop.

if all this goes to shit returning in store would make you loose your shipping $$$. Also would have to call to reinstate all of our codes we used to buy it cheaper.

I don't know about some of you....I bought this yesterday online and wasn't going to mess with the voucher anyway. I bought it because I wanted the game and $20 was a great price for it.

If paying $20 for a normally $50 game is too much for you then you should have never jumped on this deal. Complaining to EB about putting a good price on a game makes no sense to me. I know we are all cheap but come on....we can't expect to get stuff for free all the time. If $30 off isn't good enough for you and you needed the $20 voucher to seal the deal then you obviously didn't want the game that bad and imo, got what you deserved.

Me? I'm gonna send my info in with the voucher... if I get a $20 gift certificate of sorts from EB, cool. If I don't? I got a great deal on a mint copy of a game I've wanted for well over a year now =)

[quote name='WhoDey']I don't know about some of you....I bought this yesterday online and wasn't going to mess with the voucher anyway. I bought it because I wanted the game and $20 was a great price for it.

If paying $20 for a normally $50 game is too much for you then you should have never jumped on this deal. Complaining to EB about putting a good price on a game makes no sense to me. I know we are all cheap but come on....we can't expect to get stuff for free all the time. If $30 off isn't good enough for you and you needed the $20 voucher to seal the deal then you obviously didn't want the game that bad and imo, got what you deserved.[/QUOTE]

Cheap. Ass. Gamers.

Cheaper the better man, we will fight to get them as CHEAP as possible.

A deal isn't really that good until it's 5.00 anyways.

[quote name='WhoDey']If $30 off isn't good enough for you and you needed the $20 voucher to seal the deal then you obviously didn't want the game that bad and imo, got what you deserved.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Paper Mario 2 didn't just come out and is about due for a price drop (or Player's Choice value release) anyway. Any "mistake" that was made here was on EB's part, so EB needs to own up to its responsibility and give qualifying buyers the $20 rebate they advertised.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Unfortunately, Paper Mario 2 didn't just come out and is about due for a price drop (or Player's Choice value release) anyway. Any "mistake" that was made here was on EB's part, so EB needs to own up to its responsibility and give qualifying buyers the $20 rebate they advertised.[/QUOTE]

Exactly how can you be so sure it was due for a price drop? Just about every first and second-party Nintendo game took a year to drop, and this game's only seven months old. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! released in 2003, and it still hasn't dropped.

[quote name='whitereflection']Exactly how can you be so sure it was due for a price drop?[/QUOTE]

I just know. "Cue Twilight Zone music" Do-dee-do-duu, Do-dee-do-duu :D

I purchased the game yesterday and don't have time to go pick up envelops today, they BETTER still honor my application since I was one of the first "unaware" one.

:( I hate it when companies don't stick to their words.(printed on advertisements are as good as "words" from the company)

Like many of you, I am happy and willing to shell out $20 for this great game even w/o the voucher (that I will send in anyways). Thanks OP!

On a lighter note, I walked into a next-gen conversation at EBgames and one of the guys working there said the XBOX 360 is going to launch at $500...I chuckled and left (with paper mario 2 in hand)....

Damn, and I just sent my receipt and voucher....Also to note I basically got it b/c its a good game AND for the EB Voucher.....I wanted that voucher and if I don't get it TO ME it makes the deal LESS sweeter.....I could've waited for the EVENTUAL (though NINTENDO is so DAMN slow on it) price drop instead of rushing through torrential rain to get this...my 2 cents.......

I read most of this thread, and I dont think this was mentioned, but I may be mistaken. I

In the catalog, Paper Mario is listed at $29.99 AFTER a $20 EB Mail In Voucher on page 39, and the voucher is on page 40.

For a voucher to be valid for 5 weeks is a long time, and I'm sure the price would have dropped within that time frame, but more than likely, someone pulled the trigger pre-maturely.

Just a thought :D

I've been able to do it with other games ($19.99 games with a $10 rebate). However, I've never tried to get any for free before, but it's worth a shot...

I just got back from my local EB. Sorry if this info was posted somewhere else in the thread, I tried to check.

Nintendo has lowered the price of Paper Mario to $19.99. EB did not expect the price reduction, and therefore will NOT honor the gift voucher deal.

In the e-mail sent to all EB's there was a note about this. They will honor the $20 voucher off the full price of the game (making it $49.99-$20.00=$29.99) or you can buy it outright for $19.99. Ask to see the e-mail binder for more info.

While $19.99 is a good deal, I went into the deal expecting to pay $20, and get a $20 voucher back. If EB renigs on this, I'll go to corporate and the BBB. They should pull the page from the catalogs if they don't want people doing this.

They should honor all the ones that have been sold/sent in by now. They should pull the coupon from the magazines, so no NEW ones can get bought for that price. Everyone else should be fine.

[quote name='rallen']
Nintendo has lowered the price of Paper Mario to $19.99. EB did not expect the price reduction, and therefore will NOT honor the gift voucher deal.
[/QUOTE]

If it was Nintendo who lowered the price, then wouldn't EB just be reimbursed for the price reduction (since it would be a manufacturer's price drop)?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']If it was Nintendo who lowered the price, then wouldn't EB just be reimbursed for the price reduction (since it would be a manufacturer's price drop)?[/QUOTE]
The first thing I thought was, why should EB drop the price. They could charge any price they want for it, right?

By choosing to drop the price along with Nintendo's suggestion, EB's trying to stay competitive with other retailers. (Who would buy Paper Mario from EB for $49, when it's at Target for $20). But by choosing to do so, they are opening themselves up for customer aggrevation.

Nowhere on the rebate does it state a minimum price, just the dates it has to be bought by and the date the rebate has to be submitted by.

I've had to deal with rebate companies before when they changed terms while the promotion was running and I've always come out as a winner.

My plan is to fight if they reject the rebate.

[quote name='darkje']Nowhere on the rebate does it state a minimum price, just the dates it has to be bought by and the date the rebate has to be submitted by.

I've had to deal with rebate companies before when they changed terms while the promotion was running and I've always come out as a winner.

My plan is to fight if they reject the rebate.[/QUOTE]

same, it's wrong for them to do that. unless they offer to make a complete refund, which i doubt they would.

I'm going to mail it in and hope for the best . . . but I think we could also make our voice heard on this.

but I'm not going to jump to conclusions . . . EB has been good on these so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back