(Randomly OOS @ EB.com) Paper Mario (GC) $20 at EB B&M & EB.com - Back at $30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='slidecage']not quite. I figure by the time you pay taxes and listing fees you be lucky to break 10 buck profit if it sell for 35.. Then the hassel of driving to the post office and making sure the people get their game.[/QUOTE]Smart ebay sellers don't pay fees. They charge them to the customer via the "shipping & handling" = $4-5. (And before someone has a fit, I want to point out that amazon, sears, and other retailers do exactly the same thing. Stores don't pay their own bills... they charge them to the customer.)

So $35 auction price +$5 handling fee - $5 ebay/paypal fees - $20 purchase price = ~$15 profit for each game.

Also, you seem to doubt a seller could get $35, but I don't. I bet I could sell a Paper Mario Sealed game for close to store retail price ($40)..... I'd probably get $35.

I bought FF10-2 for $50... and turned around and sold it for $55. I bought Skies of Arcadia for $40 and sold it for $49. Many people don't look for bargains. They just buy it, and don't care how much they pay. We Ebayers profit from their foolish spending.

;-D

ASIDE: Oh, and in case someone's wondering - No, I didn't hoard the Paper Mario games. I bought just *one* for myself. I've got a job now that pays $40 an hour, so Ebay sales are no longer attractive to me.

troy

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']
The trading thing is still taking advantage, but it's of an offer they issued and accept[/QUOTE]

You see though people could argue the same thing about abusing certain stores return policies, it's something they would technically accept and a service they offer, however they'd throw you out if you told them what you were doing.

The same goes for people purchasing tons of cheap games just for trade value. Sure trading is a service that the game stores offer, but everyone knows it was NEVER intended as a way to build up credit by moving large amounts of stock between stores. it's an abuse of the trading system and dishonest(by those same standards).

..and for those that refuse to believe that abusing the trading system is dishonest, if it's so cool then why do the people that do this have to carefully spread out their trades between stores. If it's not dishonest then why not just walk in to your local F.Y.E. and trade all 12 copies of that same damn game all at once??... cause most of these stores would ask you to leave and refuse your trades, because they'd know you are abusing the system.

The simple fact is that both are dishonest but trade abuse or "flipping" games is more accepted here because so many people here do it.

I'm not labeling anyone here as bad people, but I fail to see how one abuse can be labled as bad, and one as OK.

Thanks OP, I just pick Paper Mario up last night and the gift voucher. I can't believe they are offering such a great game at this price with the $20 voucher.

15+ sealed copies available at the EB in Altoona, PA as of yesterday around 5 PM.

No catalog though!

Is the catalog fairly new? I'll keep checking around for one, but would there be somebody here who would be so kind to drop a rebate form in the mail for me if I'm unable to get one?

[quote name='NormanB258']15+ sealed copies available at the EB in Altoona, PA as of yesterday around 5 PM.

No catalog though!

Is the catalog fairly new? I'll keep checking around for one, but would there be somebody here who would be so kind to drop a rebate form in the mail for me if I'm unable to get one?[/QUOTE]

It's the May 2005 product catalog. My local EB had dozens of them in a stack right by the register, though I won't be by there anytime soon to pick up extras.

[quote name='spacemanvt']how do you guys tell if its a display copy or a unsealed copy?

just by the shrink being on it or not?[/QUOTE]

If the store simply takes the display case from the shelves, fishes through their disc drawers for the "guts," and puts it all together with a sticker to hold the case closed, you know that it's a display copy. However, some stores will actually shrinkwrap the open case themselves in-store.

It's easy to see the difference between a store shrinkwrapped game and a factory sealed game. Factory sealing uses a hard tough plastic that is neatly folded and sealed at the edges of the case by machines. By comparison, store shrinkwrap uses thin soft plastic, is often uneven and bunched up in places and somewhat warps the clear plastic over the case inserts with small ridges (due to being sealed by a hair dryer).

[quote name='ManChowder']You see though people could argue the same thing about abusing certain stores return policies, it's something they would technically accept and a service they offer, however they'd throw you out if you told them what you were doing.

The same goes for people purchasing tons of cheap games just for trade value. Sure trading is a service that the game stores offer, but everyone knows it was NEVER intended as a way to build up credit by moving large amounts of stock between stores. it's an abuse of the trading system and dishonest(by those same standards).

..and for those that refuse to believe that abusing the trading system is dishonest, if it's so cool then why do the people that do this have to carefully spread out their trades between stores. If it's not dishonest then why not just walk in to your local F.Y.E. and trade all 12 copies of that same damn game all at once??... cause most of these stores would ask you to leave and refuse your trades, because they'd know you are abusing the system.

The simple fact is that both are dishonest but trade abuse or "flipping" games is more accepted here because so many people here do it.

I'm not labeling anyone here as bad people, but I fail to see how one abuse can be labled as bad, and one as OK.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with abusing return policies but to make a statement that flipping games is any way unethical is just plain stupid. Once you buy a game no matter the cost you own it. It's yours. You own the right to do whatever you want with it. Most places including F.Y.E. wouldn't take 12 copies of one game because they sometimes only keep a few in stock at a time. I'm abusing a system of prices that the corporation itself sets? If they offer $10 trade-in value for a $3 game then they need to monitor their own trade-in values better. The store has a right to deny me trading in 12 copies but that doesn't make it illegal for anyone trying.

Most stores would like to make you believe that trading in 12 games is dishonest but that is only the manager getting pissed most of the time. They should have policies set on trade-ins and make those available to the public such as no duplicates on trade-ins rather than getting angry at a customer.

There was actually an article awhile back I believe in EGM where they talked about cheap gamers and they mentioned flipping as frowned upon but perfectly legal. They also mentioned return scams as unethical and illegal.

ah ok.............. i think i have a sealed copy then , the only thing that threw me off was the sticker they put on the shrink about trading in your old games or something.

A few comments:

There are serious doubts that you can get the voucher if you buy the game online . . . voucher offer seems to be B&M oriented.

Please don't try to return the game and get the voucher too. I don't care about the morality of it . . . just that if people do this, it may kill future deals.

If you don't want the game, drop it on ebay . . . trade it . . . just don't return it.

Also, there is a big difference in buying cheap games at stores to trade in at EB vs. "flipping" games at EB. Even if you only paid a penny, it is legit to do this (Midway Arcade 2 at CC is a penny and worth $10 at EB!).

Flipping means you buy $5 games at EB and trade them in at EB for more than you paid. You could flip the same game 20 times and make $100 . . . Clearly this is EBs fault and responsibility to set policies and prices that make sense. But I personally felt bad about flipping games (sad to say that I did a couple once per game). Trading in cheap games for a profit is fine, but even against an evil company, flipping is just "wrong" . . . especially when you exploit it heavily.

If EB is that dumb I see no issue in "flipping" games.

They want to smarten up good for them, they want to be dumbasses then too made.

[quote name='David85']If EB is that dumb I see no issue in "flipping" games.

They want to smarten up good for them, they want to be dumbasses then too made.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm oddly "moral" about this stuff . . . I tend to agree that the responsibility lies with the company and their policies. But I see that when a loophole exists it is "cool" for us to use . . . great.

When someone drives a truck through it, it ends . . . and likely the deals in general close up. One person profits big and the rest are out in the cold. . .

Further it really sucks because the person "discovered" the deal with the help of this community and then closed it for this community for their own big "score."

[quote name='jkam']I don't agree with abusing return policies but to make a statement that flipping games is any way unethical is just plain stupid. Once you buy a game no matter the cost you own it. It's yours. You own the right to do whatever you want with it. Most places including F.Y.E. wouldn't take 12 copies of one game because they sometimes only keep a few in stock at a time. I'm abusing a system of prices that the corporation itself sets? If they offer $10 trade-in value for a $3 game then they need to monitor their own trade-in values better. The store has a right to deny me trading in 12 copies but that doesn't make it illegal for anyone trying.

Most stores would like to make you believe that trading in 12 games is dishonest but that is only the manager getting pissed most of the time. They should have policies set on trade-ins and make those available to the public such as no duplicates on trade-ins rather than getting angry at a customer.

There was actually an article awhile back I believe in EGM where they talked about cheap gamers and they mentioned flipping as frowned upon but perfectly legal. They also mentioned return scams as unethical and illegal.[/QUOTE]

OK, but what if they catch on? What if all trade credit for any game goes to near nothing. What then? That ruins it for those who are uneducated enough to actually trade their games in. Then they turn to eBay. The market gets flooded with cheap games, and those people have less money to buy the games they want now.

It's a never-ending cycle.

Listen, I don't give three shits about how many copies of Paper Mario 2 you own. The game is so orgasmically fantastic that owning multiple copies only exhibits your true refined taste. If you buy it only to get rid of it, then I dare say you are potentially one of the most idiotic people on this planet. I don't know how many times I have top say it, but this game is SUPREME. Take my word for it; grab some Oreos and settle in for a night of fun!

i got in on it...thank you yet again EB.. these free games every few months are great! i got resident evil zero, phantom dust, and now this.... when are we gonna get some DS and PSP games for free? geez!!.. heheh anyways, thanks OP, thanks cheapy d, and a big thanks to me!

(hey i paid for it)

eX

okay i know there is a paper mario 2 Thead but this needs its own so it dont get lost.

IF YOU PAID 49.99 for the game you will get the 20 buck mail in thing
if you paid 19.99 You will not get the rebate it will be VOID

i went into eb store today to pick up Kartia and someone in front was saying about how you get paper mario free to the person working there. The worker said they got an email from Ebgames today telling the workers to stop pushing the game and to tell everyone who got it at 19.99 you wont get the voucher.

I just called up ebgames order line and they said the same thing. So everyone who ordered one of these thinking they are getting 20 bucks back is SOL. I asked if they will do anything for the people who was told at the stores that they would get the voucher and they said Its up to the stores to give you something but EBGAMES WONT. So the store wont take the game back without the recept that was used to Send the rebate in. I think this is totally wrong

So everyone out there who is thinking about buying this game for the Rebate DONT CAUSE YOU WONT GET IT.

[quote name='slidecage']I asked if they will do anything for the people who was told at the stores that they would get the voucher and they said Its up to the stores to give you something but EBGAMES WONT.[/QUOTE]

So wait, if you buy it B&M you still get it right?

[quote name='schultzed']I personally felt bad about flipping games (sad to say that I did a couple once per game). Trading in cheap games for a profit is fine, but even against an evil company, flipping is just "wrong" . . . especially when you exploit it heavily.[/QUOTE]
I doubt EB feels any guilt when they lay off employees -or- refuse to provide health benefits -or- refuses to provide full-time work (everyone who works there is a part-timer). It's a corporation and corporations don't have souls..... therefore no morals.

troy

Reality's Fringe said:
I find it sad that everyone is more concerned about the voucher (which I ahd a feeling would be stopped) rather than getting a GREAT deal on this game.

Paper Mario might be a great game but I personally didn't like it that much. The only reason I got it was because of the voucher. If I'm not getting it, then I could care less about Paper Mario, even if I did score it for only $20.

Indeed, this is a great deal at $30, at $20 it is easily one of the greatest deals on a relatively new 1st party nintendo title

I'm trying to figure out how calling EBGames.com is going to provide you with relevant info on a rebate deal that is in-store only.

Also, this definitely does not need its own thread, mostly because I don't think you really have confirmation of anything.

[quote name='evilmax17']So wait, if you buy it B&M you still get it right?[/QUOTE]

no what i mean by that is Maybe your local store will feel sorry for you and give you something but you wont be getting anything from Eb.. I think i will call my store i got it at yesterday and complain tomorrow. If it was a sealed copy it would been good but a store display copy I pass. Since how they talk this is a price drop so maybe can get it at BB at 15 after GC

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm trying to figure out how calling EBGames.com is going to provide you with relevant info on a rebate deal that is in-store only.[/QUOTE]

well i start from the start

I went in and the worker said they got an email from Ebgames telling the workers to stop saying you get the rebate. When i went up there I was like i just got this game yesterday and said the rebate would work. The person working there was sort of new and had no idea if Eb had a number i could call or not so they told me to call the Ebgames number (like when your place an order)

So i called them and was on hold for around 10 mins or so. The person came back and confirmed that they sent the email out and that the gift thing will not work on anyone who paid 19.99 for the paper mario. I then asked what about those people who got it yesterday and that is when they said Call your local store and see what they would do.

I told them my local store told me to call ebgames and asked if there was another number. I wasnt given any other number to call but they said go back to your local store and ask the manager (who wasnt working today) If they would take the game back without the recept. BUt i Tried this before and they wont take back anything without it

So long story short that is why i called Ebgames about an instore rebate

and i would say its Confirmed Since the Store i went to and Ebgames themself said they will not HOnor the Rebate.... You might want to call your Rep and see if they can do anything for us...

[quote name='slidecage']and i would say its Confirmed Since the Store i went to and Ebgames themself said they will not HOnor the Rebate.... You might want to call your Rep and see if they can do anything for us...[/QUOTE]

Anybody able to call their local EBs and ask?

Unless I am missing something, it sounds like you are calling EBgames.com, not EB Games Retail Stores HQ...they are two seperate entities with different promotions.

My rep works for EBgames.com she will likely not have any idea what the Retail Stores are doing.

[quote name='CheapyD']Unless I am missing something, it sounds like you are calling EBgames.com, not EB Games Retail Stores HQ...they are two seperate entities with different promotions.

My rep works for EBgames.com she will likely not have any idea what the Retail Stores are doing.[/QUOTE]

i called up all 3 local stores and all confirmed that they wont honor the rebate if you paid 19.99. they game me a number for home office im going to call now i can either list or give them number if you want. But i dont want to list if its not allow

news for the phone number

Paper mario 2 is a Temp price drop and is not VAILD With any other offers. meaning not VAILD ON REBATES

Hmm...I don't see why this wouldn't work since the Syphon Filter rebate worked out for people. I'm going to pick up Paper Mario later today and regardless of what they say I'll mail out my rebate and see what happens.

I called my EB and they told me I wouldn't get the voucher if I paid $20 for Paper Mario. They said that the price will go back up soon and you will be able to get the voucher when you purchase it then.

This sucks. I'm bringing my copy back now.

I don't see how they could refuse the rebate. I don't have the form in front of me, but it doesn't say anything about you having to pay $49.95 for the game to get the voucher does it? I think they screwed up, but I also think they should and will honor the rebate if you meet all the requirements. That's false advertising. I'm sure some of you will disagree, but if there going to print up a rebate form, then sell the game at a discounted price, that's there fault not ours.

It's just like the Syphon Filter mess. They kept switching the price back and forth from $9.95 to $19.95 during the promotion for the $20 rebate. I paid $10 for the game new, and they gave me a $20 voucher.

I will be sending mine in, if I don't get the voucher, corporate will get a call. Doesn't sound like much to get a call from little ol me, but usually Corporate listens to things such as false advertising.

P.S. I told you guys Fatwallet would mess this up. My guess is once Fatwallet got ahold of it, they were flooded with calls (NEVER CALL) and that killed the deal.

Yeah, this is worse than a regualr misprint, because this fools people into buying (then opening, or getting rid of the receipt) and then backing out of the deal. If it were a regular misprint they could just not honor it in the first place.

And what about the people who paid $30 for it? Do they get their $20 back?

[quote name='hotwls13']I don't see how they could refuse the rebate. I don't have the form in front of me, but it doesn't say anything about you having to pay $49.95 for the game to get the voucher does it? I think they screwed up, but I also think they should and will honor the rebate if you meet all the requirements. That's false advertising. I'm sure some of you will disagree, but if there going to print up a rebate form, then sell the game at a discounted price, that's there fault not ours.

It's just like the Syphon Filter mess. They kept switching the price back and forth from $9.95 to $19.95 during the promotion for the $20 rebate. I paid $10 for the game new, and they gave me a $20 voucher.

I will be sending mine in, if I don't get the voucher, corporate will get a call. Doesn't sound like much to get a call from little ol me, but usually Corporate listens to things such as false advertising.

P.S. I told you guys Fatwallet would mess this up. My guess is once Fatwallet got ahold of it, they were flooded with calls (NEVER CALL) and that killed the deal.[/QUOTE]

This is how it will work out

Ebames flyer for the syphon filter game FREE after mail in rebate 20-20

this ebgames flyer shows paper mario 49.99 -20 rebate = 29.99 after rebate

so they can say it shows right in the flyer you have to buy it for 49.99. im going to call them up again :)

[quote name='slidecage']This is how it will work out

Ebames flyer for the syphon filter game FREE after mail in rebate 20-20

this ebgames flyer shows paper mario 49.99 -20 rebate = 29.99 after rebate

so they can say it shows right in the flyer you have to buy it for 49.99. im going to call them up again :)[/QUOTE]

Dayum! One question though. Does the form you send in say $49.99 or is somewhere on the page? Probably screwed either way, but if it's not on the form you cut out, you could argue the point.

Also, I paid $10 for Syphon Filter not $20, but i still got the $20 Voucher.

They'll honor if it its sent out. They may not honor it after today because the clerks are telling people. If they don't honor it for the people who purchased yesterday or postmarked today, they could get sued. They'll honor it..hehe.

Another thing is, it advertises the price on a DIFFERENT page than the rebate form. The rebate form says nothing about a price or anything. It says in BIG print

Receive A $20 EB Games Mail-In Gift Voucher When You Purchase Paper Mario For GameCube

The small print is just a bunch of legal junk. I will type it out anyways incase anyone is wondering.

Mail this completed form along with your original sales receipt to EB Games Rebate Center/770 Pilot Road, Suite F/Las Vegas, NV 89119. $20 will be sent in the form of an EB Games gift voucher. No cash will be issued. Gift voucher cannot be redeemed for cash, except where prohibited by law. Gift vouchers are good toward future purchases at any EB Games, EBX or Electronics Boutique in the U.S. Or Puerto Rico. All incomplete forms will be discarded. EB Games is not responsible for lost and/or stolen mail-in and/or gift vouchers. While supplies last. Limit one per customer. Not valid on previous purchases. Not valid on pre-played games. Cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. No rainchecks will be issued. Some exclusions may apply. See sales associate for complete details. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Offer valid on purchases made between 5/23/2005 and 6/30/2005. Voucher must be postmarked by 7/14/05. Voucher ID 3608.

[quote name='hotwls13']I don't see how they could refuse the rebate. I don't have the form in front of me, but it doesn't say anything about you having to pay $49.95 for the game to get the voucher does it? I think they screwed up, but I also think they should and will honor the rebate if you meet all the requirements. That's false advertising. I'm sure some of you will disagree, but if there going to print up a rebate form, then sell the game at a discounted price, that's there fault not ours.

P.S. I told you guys Fatwallet would mess this up. My guess is once Fatwallet got ahold of it, they were flooded with calls (NEVER CALL) and that killed the deal.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one.

I bought SF from the website, since I knew I'd make a few bucks on it. Luckily, it worked out for me. Nowhere on the form did it say how much you had to pay for it for the voucher to be honored. Said the SKU #, said the timeframe of the purchase, and nothing to do with the price.

By what's listed on the form, they can't stop you from getting it. Anyone who doesn't get the voucher should call them and ream them out. If it says "Buy Paper Mario for $49.99 and get a $20 GV", that's one thing, though from what I remember seeing on the form, it doesn't mention price.

If they don't put it down on the form, that gives us wiggle room to use to get the vouchers processed.

[quote name='hotwls13']Dayum! One question though. Does the form you send in say $49.99 or is somewhere on the page? Probably screwed either way, but if it's not on the form you cut out, you could argue the point.

Also, I paid $10 for Syphon Filter not $20, but i still got the $20 Voucher.[/QUOTE]

was just on the phone (got to love high speed interent so your phone lines are free) I just complain to the dude for 5-10 mins and no matter what I said they got an excuss. At the end the person goes Point blank no matte what you say We will not honor the rebate. I told them Dont be shocked if you see tons of Reports to BBB and people refusing to pay their Credit card bills and they acted like it was no big deal.

edit this number out if it cant be used the number im calling 1 800 800 5166

they are playing THERE IS AN ERROR In listing. The Rebate should of said you must buy the game for 49.99

[quote name='norkusa']I called my EB and they told me I wouldn't get the voucher if I paid $20 for Paper Mario. They said that the price will go back up soon and you will be able to get the voucher when you purchase it then.

This sucks. I'm bringing my copy back now.[/QUOTE]

So because you can't get a good game for free, you are returning it? It's not like they were ripping you off for $20 price.

And no one is going to sue them, because if some dumbass tries then they will just give you the $20.

The Syphon Filter one actually said Free after rebate on the form. (and notice this is free and not -$10)

The Paper mario voucher says absolutely nothing about price. All it says is receive a $20 EB games mail-in gift voucher when you purchase paper mario for gamecube.

The form is on page 40. On Page 39 is an ad for paper mario that says 29.99 after rebate, but this is nowhere on the rebate itself.

Im gonna send mine in and make a photo copy of the rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back