Rather than Love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness.. give me the OTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rocko']GTA IV is overrated.

I'ma stick with GTA:SA. It made real changes in the series.[/quote]

Look out, rocko, it's back in Liberty City. Everything's going to be gray and blue. And Nikko might not speak much.

Edit: Also, there's the inside stuff now -- playing darts with friends, billiards too... oh no, they're adding too many elements to the gameplay!

[quote name='joe2187']I think I need to shave my balls, it looks like a I've got a hairy koosh ball hanging between my legs.[/quote]
I'm holding a shaving party this weekend. You should come.

[quote name='Chika']wayyy tmi. kthnxbai.[/quote]

8-[

UWE BOLL CHALLENGES MICHEAL BAY TO A FIGHT TO THE DEATH
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlJ3VLGDOVE&eurl=http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/page2.html[/MEDIA]

[quote name='dallow']You always get under my skin
I don't find it irritating
You always play to win
I don't need rehabilitating

Another girl, another planet
Another girl, another planet

Space travels in my blood
And there ain't nothing I can do about it
Long journeys wear me out
Oh God we won't live without it

[/QUOTE]

Now I have to listen to that song, damn you. I need to look into more Only Ones albums, everything I've heard is so good.

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Hey can any of you smart bastards re-word some homework for me? I'll let you get something off my TL. Just pay shipping.[/quote]

Re-word what kind of homework?

I dunno. It's for mah girl. I have answers I just need them to be re-worded so they're not exactly like her best friend's. I'd do it but I'm sooo friggiin tired.

Should I just post em here?

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']I dunno. It's for mah girl. I have answers I just need them to be re-worded so they're not exactly like her best friend's. I'd do it but I'm sooo friggiin tired.

Should I just post em here?
[/quote]

Post them here, or PM me. I will give it a shot.

Sometimes, I see those commercials for with the "Safe Side SuperChick" videos, and I think, "You know...I want to fuck her."

And it's not that I find her attractive or anything. I think it's the wrongness of the whole thing that I find alluring. Something about the way she says, "keep ya on the safe side!"...

...I think I need to examine myself a little closer...

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Hey can any of you smart bastards re-word some homework for me? I'll let you get something off my TL. Just pay shipping.[/quote]

when do you need it and what subject?

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Sometimes, I see those commercials for with the "Safe Side SuperChick" videos, and I think, "You know...I want to fuck her."

And it's not that I find her attractive or anything. I think it's the wrongness of the whole thing that I find alluring. Something about the way she says, "keep ya on the safe side!"...

...I think I need to examine myself a little closer...[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be talking about it the way you are. Don't you have a kid? :lol:

OK it's long. I'll hold a video game raffle for all you guys that help me out. Or maybe I could do some original art for one of ya.

#1. Distinguish among Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform Jewish Faiths in terms of social characteristics, religious practices and beliefs.

Answer: The differences between Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Judaism are based on their varying acceptance of traditional ritual istic. All three religious groups share a philosophy based on the Torah (the first five books of the old testament). A significant factor that explains the development of different groups is the absence of a religious hierarchy. The Orthodox life is the most demanding, almost all conduct requires reaffirming their religious conviction constantly. The laws of the kashrut governs which foods may be eaten, how its prepared and how it must be served. Only male members of the congregation are allowed to read of the Torah. Orthodox children attend special schools in order to meet minimal New York State educational requirements. Among the Orthodox there are the Hasidics, who cant wear garments that mix linen and wool, men wear a yarmulke (skull cap) constantly, even while sleeping. Attending a nonreligious college is not accepted. The Reform Jews are also very religious but have altered many of the rituals. Women and men sit together in Reform congregations and both men and women can read of the Torah at religious services. Circumcision for men is not mandatory, and divorce is permitted under certain circumstances. They also recognize children of Jewish men and non-Jewish women as Jews with no need of conversion. All these Reform Practices would be unacceptable to the Orthodox Jews. The reform Jews are the wealthiest and have the best formal education of the group, the Orthodox are the poorest and least educated in years of formal schooling, and the conservatives occupy a position between the two.

#2. How do Jews fulfill the criteria of a subordinate or minority group?

Answer: Jewish Americans experience unequal treatment from non-Jews in the form of prejudice, discrimination, and segregation. They share a cultural history that is different from the dominant group. Like every body else they don not choose to be Jewish, they are just born into it like the rest of us. Both men and women tend to marry within the group rather than marrying outside the group, for example: a Jew is most likely to marry a Jew rather than a Christian, Buddhist or the likes. They also share a strong sense of solidarity (mutual support). However actual distinguishing physical traits are absent. Jews today come from all over the world and carry a variety of physical features. Many people would view them only as a racial minority. Jewish identity is ethnic, they share cultural traits, not physical features or uniform religious beliefs. Judaization may base identity on such things as eating traditional Jewish foods, telling Jewish jokes, and wearing the Star of David. Some Jews may say, " I am a Jew" just as they say, " I am a resident of Illinois". The question of what constitutes a Jew is not easily resolved. However a Jew in contemporary America is a person who thinks of himself or herself as a Jew. Jews have often been used as scapegoats by opportunists who blame them for a nations problems. The most tragic example of such an opportunist is Adolf Hitler who marked them as a subordinate group and tried to extinguish all of them from the European continent. A national survey in 1998 showed that 71% of Jews viewed anti-Semitism as a problem in the United States when trying to get a job.

#3. Using the 5 properties of a subordinate or minority group, explain how women constitute a social minority.

Answer: Women are an oppressed group even though they form the numerical majority. Women do occupy positions of power but those who do are the exceptions, evidence of this is on the newspapers like when they say "she I the first woman" or "the only woman" to be in a particular position. Although they are not segregated by residence, they are victims of prejudice and discrimination. Women have obvious physical and cultural characteristics that differ from that of the dominant group (men). No woman is voluntarily born a woman. Throughout the rise of feminism, women have become totally aware of their subordinate status, hence they develop a strong sense of group solidarity. The oppressed majority are not forced to marry but many woman believe that their subordinate status is mostly defined within marriage. Women are different from men mostly in their roles of reproduction. These biological differences have contributed to sexism which is the ideology that one sex is superior to the other. In the 1960’s women had to understand the feminine mystique, which how society had women playing a role only as her children’s mother and her husbands wife. In today’s labor market women are subject to direct sexism, such as sexist remarks, and also to differential treatment because of institutional policies. Many women experience differential treatment not only because of their gender but also because of race and ethnicity.

#4 what are the similarities and differences between women and blacks as social minorities?

Answer: Some similarities between women and Blacks were recognized long before the recent protest against inequality. Both groups are thought to fight against the system: women allegedly try to outwit men by feminine wiles, as historically Blacks allegedly outwitted whites by pretending to be deferential or respectful. We didn’t find any differences among blacks and women except for gender and/or skin color if applicable. They have also been considered emotional irresponsible, weak, and inferior. Neither women nor African Americans are accepting a subordinate role in society any longer. As Nallely and I discussed, we believe that instead of sticking together because together we would be politically and socially stronger we push each other apart. According to the Advocates of Black Nationalism, the existence of feminist groups among blacks simply divided the Black community and thereby serves the dominant white society.

#5. What is the "second shift" ? What does research show about the division of labor between men and women in housework and childcare.

Answer: The word second shift refers to work outside the home followed by childcare and house work that many women faced and that few men share equitably. This term was found by sociologist Arlie Hochschid. Hochschid reports that wives and not their husbands plan domestic schedules and play dates for children while driving home from the office and then begin their second shift Also Hochschid found that married couples were getting hurt psychologically and so were their careers and their marriages. The females she talked to were being overtired and emotionally drained by the demands of their multiple roles. They were much more intensely turn by the conflicting demands of work outside the home and family life than were their husbands. There is an economic cost to this second shift households do benefit from the free labor of women, but women pay what has been called the mommy tax the lower salaries women receive over their lifetime because they have children. Mothers earn less than men and other women over their lifetime because of having children causes them to lose job experience, trade off higher wages for following the mommy track and be discriminated against by employers. Estimate range from 5-13 percent of lifetime wages the first child alone. Having two children lower earning 10 to 19 percent.

#6. Describe the legacy of colonialism in South Africa. How does this legacy relate to the apartheid system?

Answer: The permanent settlement of South Africa by Europeans began in 1652 when the Dutch East India established a colony in Cape Town. To fill the need for laborers, the Dutch imported slaves from areas of Africa farther north. Sexual relations between Dutch men and slaves and Hottentots women were quite common giving rise to a Mulatto group referred to today as Cape Coloureds. Then the British acquired part of South Africa in 1814. They freed the slaves by 1834 and had given Blacks almost all political and civil rights. The Boers were not happy with these developments and spend most of the nineteenth century in a violent struggle with the growing number of English Colonists. In 1902 the British finally overwhelmed the Boers leaving memories on both sides. The growing non-white population consisted of the Coloureds, or mixed population and the Blacks tribal groups called Bantus, pass laws were introduced placing curfews on the Bantus and limiting their geographic movement. These laws enforced through reference books until 1986 were intended to prevent urban area from becoming overcrowded with job seeking Black Africans a familiar occurrence in colonial Africa. Apartheid is basically the policy of the South Africa government intended to maintain separation of Blacks Coloueds and Asians from the dominant whites. This relates to the legacy of colonialism because it dealed with the multiracial population. And the whites were the one’s that came up with this policy and called t apartheid. The English and Afrikaners belonged to different political parties, lived apart, spoke different languages, and worshipped separately but shared the belief that some form of apartheid was necessary. Black could not vote, they were unable to hold jobs unless the government approved. They were forced to live in temporary quarters at great distances from their real homes. They were severely limited in education health care and social services.

#7. What are the main points made by Nelson Mandela upon his release from prison after 27 years? What is the ideal for which he lives and for which he is prepared to die?

Answer: Nelson Mandela leader of the African National Congress (ANC), Nelson Mandela received a five-year term as president.
Some main points made by Mandela after released from prison were Desperate Poverty despite the growth of a small middle class among Blacks South Africans poverty rates stand at 60.6 percent, compared to 4.0 percent of white South Africans. Affirmative Action race based employment goals and other preference programs have been proposed yet critics insist that such efforts constitute reverse apartheid. Medical care the nation is trying to confront the duty of private care for the affluent usually whites and government. Subsidized care usually for people of color AIDS have reached devastating levels with 10 percent of the population having HIV/AIDS as of the beginning of 2005, but less than 3 percent are receiving antiretroviral medication as of 2006. Crime was also something that Mandela mentioned although the government initiated violence it apartheid has ended the generations of conflict and years of intertribal attacks have created a climate for crime, illegal gun ownership, and disrespect for law enforcement. School intergration multiracial schools are replacing the apartheid system but for some the change id occurring too fast or not fast enough 17 percent of whites hold a college degree only 1.9 percent of blacks South Africans are so advantaged. Mandela says that his goals are to free South Africa and he tells everyone that "we must not allow fear to stand in our way" He wants peace and nonracial. And he states that he is going to live it and achieve it or if possible he is going to die achieving his ideal goal. In other words he is willing to die to achieve freedom in South Africa.

#8. What is the relationship of the color gradient to social class? Select 2 of the countries presented in the book and describe how color gradient, social class, and gender determine social status in these countries.

Answer: Color gradient means the placement of people on a continuum from light to dark skin color rather than in distinct racial groupings by skin color. The presence of color gradient reflects past fusion between different groups. Rather than being either "black" or "white", people are judged in societies as "lighter" or "darker" than others. The lighter you are the less prejudice you will receive. Mexico and Brazil highly base themselves on the color gradient. In Mexico the Mexicans intermarried with European settlers forming the Mestizo class. At the top of the Mexican color gradient are the Criollos which are the 10%of the population, which are typically white, well-educated members of the business and intellectual elites with family roots in Spain. The middle class is occupied by the Mestizos whom are the numerical majority, most have brown skin. At the bottom of the color gradient are the Mexican Indians and a small number of Blacks (some descendents of African slaves that were brought to Mexico. Being a woman in Mexico is not so great, they are often viewed as the "ideal workers" they are placed on the least-skilled and least-automated jobs because there is little expectation of advancement. Another country that is based on the color gradient is Brazil. During the twentieth century Brazil changed from a nation that prided on it self on its freedom and racial intolerance to a country legally attacking discrimination against people of color. Even from the start, certain civilian careers, such as the diplomatic and military officers ranks, are virtually closed to blacks. People of color in Brazil tend to be the poorest. Black men in Brazil have the earning levels comparable to those of white women in the U.S. Afro-Brazilian women are the farthest behind In the social ladder. In Brazil an individuals blackness does not suddenly become invisible simply because he or she has acquired some social standing. Brazil is becoming more and more conscious of race.

#10. Using the 5 properties of a subordinate or minority group, explain why elderly are considered a social minority group in the US. In what ways does membership in the minority of the aged differ from membership in other minorities?

Answer: There are many social disadvantages some are age, disabilities, gays and lesbians. Elderly share characteristics of subordinate or minorities group. Elderly are considered a social minority group in the US because they get unequal treatment in employment and face prejudice and discrimination, share physical characteristics that distinguish them from younger people and cultural preferences and leisure time activities often differ, membership is involuntary, strong sense of group solidarity as reflected in senior citizen’s centers retirement communities and advocacy organizations older people generally are married to others of compared age, while the elderly population continues to increase the "oldest old" segment of the population is growing at an even faster rate. Compared with the rest of the population the elderly are more likely to be female, white and living in certain state.
Elderly experience ageism meaning prejudice and discrimination against the elderly, reflects deep uneasiness among young and middle aged people about growing old for many old age symbolizes disease and death. Some of differences that elderly have that other minorities don’t would be large organizations representing the elderly in the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) this is the largest, it was founded in 1958 by a retired school principal who was having difficulty obtaining insurance because of age prejudice. AARP has endured voters registration campaigns, nursing home reforms, and pension reform. Another help that elderly have is for example The National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare benefits for poor elderly older African Americans and Hispanics tend to rely more on family members, friends and formal social network than on organizational support team. Because their lower incomes and greater incapacity from poor health, older blacks and Hispanics are more likely to need assistance from family members than are older whites.

#11. What was affirmative action as a social program intended to accomplish?

Answer: Has it been successful? Support your answers with specific examples.
There are definitely major barriers to women’s executive advancement. However affirmative action is an important role for reducing discrimination. It has also become a lightning rod for opposition to any program that suggests special consideration of women or racial minorities. Affirmative action has been aimed at procedures that deny equal opportunities even if they are not intended to be discriminatory. This policy has been implemented to deal with both current and past discrimination. Glass ceilings are also a major barrier for blocking the promotion of a qualified worker because of gender or minority status. The consensus is that there is little room at the top for women and minorities. Glass ceilings operate so that all applicants may be welcomed by a firm, but when it comes to the powerful positions, there are limits generally unstated on the number of women and non-whites welcomed or even tolerated. Affirmative action has been successful to a certain point but not fully. Women are doing better in top-management positions then minorities but are still behind the men. Some of the largest corporations that are held by women are Avon, Golden West Financial, e Bay, Reynolds American, Rite Aid, Lucent, Sara Lee, Safeco, Radio Shack, and Xerox. Because of the complexity of the labor market and the fact that there are other antidiscrimination measures, it has not yet been confirmed that affirmative action actually helped alleviate employment inequality on the basis of race and gender. Affirmative action and other compliance programs have had a modest impact, but it is difficult to assess given larger economic changes, such as recession and the rapid increase in women in the paid labor force.

[quote name='Eviltude']I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be talking about it the way you are. Don't you have a kid? :lol:[/quote]

Yes, and that is what makes it so wrong...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelashelton/105763317/in/set-72057594084285930/
spaceball.gif

Compiz Fusion is hella slick.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I[/MEDIA]

Did I post this in here before? I get the feeling that I did.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Look out, rocko, it's back in Liberty City. Everything's going to be gray and blue. And Nikko might not speak much.

Edit: Also, there's the inside stuff now -- playing darts with friends, billiards too... oh no, they're adding too many elements to the gameplay![/quote]

Nah, they're keeping the great advances San Andreas made, like more than one hue and motorcycles and a speaking lead character.

...Wait a minute...

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']OK it's long. I'll hold a video game raffle for all you guys that help me out. Or maybe I could do some original art for one of ya.

[/homework][/quote]

when do you need it? i'll do the first 3 if it's not tomorrow.

I would help you out, but I'm studying spanish intensely for my final tomorrow. I feel like I've learned more spanish today than i have in the last year of school.

i'm goin to bed, so if it's a few days before this HW is due, PM me the first 3 and i'll get them back to you tomorrow night or wednesday night.

[quote name='Chika']i'm goin to bed, so if it's a few days before this HW is due, PM me the first 3 and i'll get them back to you tomorrow night or wednesday night.[/quote]

G'night, Chika...

Now, I have to run out and drop some netflix movies in the post, gas the car and pick up some things. I'll still have over $100 cash on me. Can I resist the urge to get GTA?

Eh...probably. I'm kinda tired...

sorry then i can't help. i gotta be at work before the asscrack of dawn. and don't talk to me about pushing wheelbarrows full of gravel. not only did it push it, i also shoveled it and sifted it out of the dirt after digging a new fruit garden and before transplanting a rose bush into a bed of white marble chips.

unfortunately it's raining buckets or i'd take pics. after the weather clears up i'll post them.

Hi OTT

I wanna go out for GTA tonight...but I know if I do that, I'll just stay up all night playing it

Also fuck you NCAA 2k6...I was 1 fucking steal away from 1k in one game

My friend invited me over to his house tomorrow to hang out with him and another guy we're both good friends with. So far so good, except for the fact that he's also invited a lot of my gf's friends, most of whom I don't know (but who he's good friends with).

I'm somewhat wary. :|

No, it was my $6 flea market pair and I left them at a Mexican restaurant. When I went back in for them five minutes later, NOBODY KNOW NUTTIN', MANG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back