Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

I'm a sucker for western themed games and I want this pretty bad but I know I will just get bored of it. Maybe it's just me but sandbox games just do not do it for me.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm a sucker for western themed games and I want this pretty bad but I know I will just get bored of it. Maybe it's just me but sandbox games just do not do it for me.[/QUOTE]

edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? That kind of stinks. Personally, sandbox games definitely do it for me. I'll still pick this up, but I would have preferred GTA in the West.

[quote name='wildcpac']It really isn't a sandbox game. The game does give you choices on what missions to complete but it's pretty linear and the world isn't that big.[/QUOTE]

Really? I could've sworn I read somewhere that the RDR game world was equivalent in area to the GTAIV game world. That's not San Andreas huge, but that's still a sizable chunk of land. But maybe I'm wrong. Could you point me to an article or interview that corroborates what you're saying?

I'm a little bummed about the delay myself. The end part of May is crazy for me now, I think I'm buying 4 games in about a week's time.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought exiled had typed borderlands when he typed bored of it. RDR is a sandbox Western game with 3 large areas from my understanding. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote name='freshzen']Hmm Lost Planet 2 or RDR.[/QUOTE]

Dude really, one game looks awesome, one looks jap and lame.

(I don't dislike Japanese games but they FAIL at shooters)

[quote name='Logg']Dude really, one game looks awesome, one looks jap and lame.

(I don't dislike Japanese games but they FAIL at shooters)[/QUOTE]

Have you even tried the lost planet demo? That shit is EPIC with 3 of your buddies!

Bummed to hear about the delay, but not terribly surprised. There'd been rumors that the development team still had a long way to go with polishing things up. I'm normally not into Westerns myself (never even played Red Dead Revolver), but I've been surprisingly excited for this game since the first trailer for it came out. This, Heavy Rain (let down) and Mafia II (unfortunately delayed as well) were probably my most anticipated games of 2010 coming into this year.

[quote name='js1']Have you even tried the lost planet demo? That shit is EPIC with 3 of your buddies![/QUOTE]

Ya I did, i felt it was slow and controlled horrible, slow and unresponsive.

Anyone going to try and get the all 3 exclusive pre-order items (Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy). I read that Gamestop has "unique packaging". Do you think Best Buy and Amazon will send the codes for the exclusive content? It would be difficult to return the Amazon game to Gamestop if that's the case.

Thanks.

New Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9FGbqh4rUU

191.jpg

im happy i pre ordered last month, that new trailer is sickkkkkk. they've literally turned it into GTA wild west and im excited for that. it looks like theres going to be so much to do. skin some bears,get some wanted men, round up some cattle, get some butt, chop some chickens heads off, gamble, get drunk etc etc

[quote name='DarkNessBear']New Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9FGbqh4rUU

191.jpg
[/QUOTE]
LMAO @ the spoiler. Hahaha, seriously this is looking great. The other trailers were cool but all the gameplay in this one is really exciting. Love that they're fleshing out all of the small things that entailed living in the Wild West (like hunting, selling goods, etc.). Can't wait to play this.

[quote name='javeryh']This game is looking pretty good even though I don't know much about it.[/QUOTE]

It's basically GTA in the wild west.

I read in the new Game Informer that this isn't much like Red Dead Revolver at all. Revolver was actually developed by Capcom and bought by R* who then changed it up a bit and released it.

This game was developed by R* from the ground up, using the GTA IV engine and physics.

Trailer looks pretty cool. I've got my pre-order in and have plenty to play in the mean time, but am definitely looking forward to it/hoping it lives up to our expectations.

^I think Amazon is the best bet. Love that $10 gift card.

Also, apparently there was some hard to find article about the multiplayer that was circulating the tubes but was taken down by R* from a few places. Well, just saw on Gamefaqs that someone actually found the article. I have to say, it sounds amazing!

RedDeadRedemptionMultiplayerHands-On – Pistols At DawnWritten Wednesday, March 17, 2010 by Richard Walker
We're cowboys at heart, not game journalists. We'd rather jump on the back of a horse, round up some bandits and then gallop back into town for a game of poker, then spend a warm night with a hooker, a tin bath by the fire and a bottle of bourbon. As it is, we get to write all day, then go to bed with a comic book and a mug of cocoa. It's not exactly a match for the cowboy life****we were meant for.

As such, we've been itching to get somehands-on time with Rockstar's Western opus for months now, as it's about as close to living the Wild West dream as we're ever likely to get. So when the invite came through telling us that the first round ofRedDeadRedemptionmultiplayersessions were to take place at Rockstar's London offices, we naturally leapt at the chance.

In an international affair, we were pitted against games journos from all over Europe and were thrust straight intoRedDead's free-roam hub; the instruction not to shoot one another until we're given permission instantly goes out of the window. Like GTA, betweenmultiplayermatches you're given the entire single-player map to explore, so pushing up on the d-pad to whistle for a horse is a good idea if you want to quickly get around the towns and homesteads dotted around Redemption's vast world. That being said, most of the time you're likely to find players just killing each other for **** and giggles. Kill an innocent non-playable pedestrian though, and you can expect to be hunted and executed by the law.

The opportunity to simply waste time messing around amongst the miles of desert and scrub is infinite, with random emergent events and the detailed animal ecology tossing up all manner of interesting distractions. But it's the host of game modes that provide the real meat ofRedDead'smultiplayerand we got to check out four of them during our intensivehands-on play session.

Before we plunged into the competitive stuff, we start with a posse leader who sets a waypoint for the entire gang of sixteen players to follow. So saddling up and riding to a marked gang hideout where a group of bandits are holed up, we canter down the trail, taking care not to kick our horse to death. Upon arrival, a gunfight immediately breaks out, triggering even more undesirables to spill into the area from the surrounding ridge, which in turn leads to an ambush and an even busier, more frenetic gun battle.

It's great fun that eventually leads on to other criminal strongholds, such as an abandoned mansion where our foolhardy decision to sling several sticks of dynamite through the front door ends with us being sworn at by a French journo who gets caught in an errant explosion. Oops! As each mission ends, a statistics screen pops up giving you the lowdown on how well (or how poorly) you did, and as it happens, our dynamite-fuelled rampage pushes us to the top of the scoreboard. Ha! Take that France!

Back to the lobby area once more where activity descends into a sixteen-way fist fight, before it's time to sample 'Gang Shootout' – a straightforward Team Deathmatch that pits two warring factions head-to-head against one another. Lawmen, Miners, Rebeldes, Dutch's Gang and The American Army are some of the groups that feature, and each match begins with a standoff until there's only one man left standing. It's literally pistols at dawn, where the fastest gun wins and when we play the every-man-for-themselves Shootout later on, the action opens with all 16-players stood in a circle for a Mexican standoff that would make Quentin Tarantino cream in his pants.

Moving onto 'Gold Rush' – a game type that has you collecting and gathering bags of gold dotted around the map before depositing them into nearby chests to score a point – we start to get a feel for the game mechanics, pressing right bumper to gracefully slide into cover, dashing to green markers on the map to collect Deadeye pick-ups and hoarding as many weapons as we can from handy sparkling crates.

In single-player, Deadeye slows time, enabling you to paintredcrosses on nearby enemies, and it works in much the same way inmultiplayer, boosting accuracy without the aid of slow-motion. Weapons meanwhile, stay in your inventory (accessed via the left bumper and a twiddle of the right analogue stick) right until the end of the round, giving you a rather extensive cache of artillery to choose from, including numerous six-shooters, rifles, shotguns and projectiles like dynamite or throwing knives.

Finishing off with a bout of capture-the-flag, here called 'Hold Your Own' and featuringredand blue loot bags rather than flags, we get to blast a few riders off their horses with a huge cannon and even find time to line up a few headshots with a sniper rifle and then rush into the opposing team's base on horseback to grab theredflag and score a valuable point.

Actions like these grant XP, which persistently builds up throughoutmultiplayer, levelling your character up and enabling you to purchase new clothing and items to customise your badass bandito, sheriff or cowgirl. You're also able to acquire XP while free-roaming by executing special actions like killing a grizzly bear with a knife or shooting the hat off a wanted villain, for instance

RedDeadRedemption's single-player is shaping up to be unquestionably superb, but it's also heartening to see that a great deal of care and attention has gone into themultiplayertoo. Rockstar has apparently learnt some valuable lessons from GTA IV'smultiplayer, making the experience more focused, compartmentalised and therefore better suited to the 16-players that the game supports.

There's a clear, concerted effort that has been made in ensuring themultiplayeraspect ofRedDeadRedemptionis both meaningful and worth revisiting, and although there are still a few kinks to be ironed out, it's reason enough to makeRedemptionone of this year's most wanted games.

RedDeadRedemptionis out May 18th and May 21st in North America and Europe respectively.

Sorry for the weird spacing. I guess that's a result of Google Cache (which is where the poster said he found it).

[quote name='c3r1h5']Anyone going to try and get the all 3 exclusive pre-order items (Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy). I read that Gamestop has "unique packaging". Do you think Best Buy and Amazon will send the codes for the exclusive content? It would be difficult to return the Amazon game to Gamestop if that's the case.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I am getting two of the three, Best Buy and Amazon. I have my pre-order with Amazon and when it arrives I am going to return that copy to Best Buy because I will already have my pre-order copy from Best Buy. So Amazon gets my money in the end, I could careless about the outfits GameStop has and they wont see a cent from me.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
Ugh, I hate preorder bonus'... I'd just like them to put it in the game.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, but it does say at the end of the trailer "preorder to unlock" so it should be available to everyone who earns it.

yeah, i'm thinking the warhorse preorder is just unlocking the equine early vs. buying/unlocking it later in the game. I wonder who else will have preorder bonuses...

game looks awesome and I'm not a big fan of western themed video games. this looks like a movie...I'm u're huckleberry.

Although I would love to see a sequel to Red Dead Revolver, this looks just as good if not better. Now if there was only a way to get the Red Dead Revolver multiplayer on this game.

I'll probably use my game credit at Amazon for this one.

Was a bit interested in it when I first saw stuff about it some time ago, but after the Life in the West super trailer... my interest grew a lot. Looks awesome. All the extra stuff to do and all that makes it even more GTA:Wild West than when I first learned of the game. Though hopefully not too much like GTA, I don't want to be telegraphing back and forth friends or something to go to saloons and hanging out and such :p

i want a poster of this game but they all have crap words i don't want. ie "coming soon" or "gamestop exclusive item." i just want a cool poster

Holy shit. For some reason I wasn't even expecting this game to have multiplayer, but that looks so good. The wait for this is becoming harder and harder to bear with every passing trailer.

Free roam missions seal the deal.

Free roam in GTA4 was...empty...Saints Row 2 free roam was much more fun simply because of how outrageous and over the top it was. To be fair, both games' free roam modes felt kinda pointless, it's just GTA4 got boring and pointless faster.

Also, I heard that water=insta death. If so, :whistle2:s

[quote name='IRHari']If this game is anything like the shitbox that GTA4 was, I'm out.[/QUOTE]
Shitbox?

[quote name='moojuice']

Also, I heard that water=insta death. If so, :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

People didn't know how to swim back then.

bread's done
Back