Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

Yea, going on RDR media shutout from this point on. I'm getting the game on 360 and preordered from BB but the horse code was not in the box or on the receipt... so, heres hoping I get it when I pick it up or i'll be pissed.

I can't use the word 'fun' to describe GTA4, in any way whatsoever. Especially because of bullshit like this:
2008-05-05.jpg

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea, going on RDR media shutout from this point on. I'm getting the game on 360 and preordered from BB but the horse code was not in the box or on the receipt... so, heres hoping I get it when I pick it up or i'll be pissed.[/QUOTE]

that makes 2 of us, i dont want anything spoiled for me.i want it to be fresh. i pre ordered from amazon a while ago so im only paying $57 and a $20 gaming credit. which i'll use to chop 20 bucks off kane and lynch 2.

Well according to cheapy in the Amazon thread, the 360 version is the superior one. I just switched my order from the PS3 to 360.

[quote name='IRHari']I can't use the word 'fun' to describe GTA4, in any way whatsoever. Especially because of bullshit like this:
2008-05-05.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Honestly I've spent well over a hundred hours playing GTA IV, probably several hundred, and that comic is not accurate. The physics in GTA IV are amazing, and one of the best parts about the game. The driving is super realistic and tons of fun once you get the hang of it. There is only one part of the game that has absurd physics and that is the swingset of doom. I want to say its in the Firefly projects, can't remember exactly but if you drive into the swingset it will launch your vehicle into the air...and I can only assume that was an intentional easter egg for people to mess around with. Driving over, or even just tapping a cone isn't going to send your car flying.

[quote name='wildcpac']Well according to cheapy in the Amazon thread, the 360 version is the superior one. I just switched my order from the PS3 to 360.[/QUOTE]

Link please

Nm, saw it. Good - that's why I went with the 360 version. The entire RDR demo at PAX (I heard) was on the 360, so I assumed it was the better build.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Link please

Nm, saw it. Good - that's why I went with the 360 version. The entire RDR demo at PAX (I heard) was on the 360, so I assumed it was the better build.[/QUOTE]

Dont worry

[quote name='freshzen']Honestly I've spent well over a hundred hours playing GTA IV, probably several hundred, and that comic is not accurate. The physics in GTA IV are amazing, and one of the best parts about the game. The driving is super realistic and tons of fun once you get the hang of it. There is only one part of the game that has absurd physics and that is the swingset of doom. I want to say its in the Firefly projects, can't remember exactly but if you drive into the swingset it will launch your vehicle into the air...and I can only assume that was an intentional easter egg for people to mess around with. Driving over, or even just tapping a cone isn't going to send your car flying.[/QUOTE]

I love GTA IV, but I definitely wouldn't say the realistic handling (I even hesitate to call it realistic. Difficult doesn't always equal realistic) is one of the more fun parts of it. The thing that kept me coming back to it was the atmosphere and production values. If Saints Row had writing, acting and visuals as good as the GTA series I'm not sure I'd defend GTA as much as I currently do.

[quote name='freshzen']Honestly I've spent well over a hundred hours playing GTA IV, probably several hundred, and that comic is not accurate. The physics in GTA IV are amazing, and one of the best parts about the game. The driving is super realistic and tons of fun once you get the hang of it. There is only one part of the game that has absurd physics and that is the swingset of doom. I want to say its in the Firefly projects, can't remember exactly but if you drive into the swingset it will launch your vehicle into the air...and I can only assume that was an intentional easter egg for people to mess around with. Driving over, or even just tapping a cone isn't going to send your car flying.[/QUOTE]

A cone? No. A small sapling? Might as well be made of adamantium.

I agree with freshzen that the overall driving physics make driving a pretty rewarding experience in GTAIV, however I have run into some majorly wonky physics. It didn't happen often, but when it did it was janky as hell.

Am I the only person that hates that "DLC" is announced/released with game launches? If its free content for new copies of the game that is totally reasonable, but otherwise I gotta say kinda annoying. As if a $59.99 price tag wasn't enough.

[quote name='freshzen']Am I the only person that hates that "DLC" is announced/released with game launches? If its free content for new copies of the game that is totally reasonable, but otherwise I gotta say kinda annoying. As if a $59.99 price tag wasn't enough.[/QUOTE]

Lately there's been a lot of DLC free to day one purchasers, and I don't have a problem with that at all.

Worked out well with BC2, and I got a free copy of Red Faction as a day one purchase bonus. But PAID DLC announced day one - especially stuff on the disc itself... tacky.

I like DLC. As long as the base game has sufficient content, I see no problem with it. They announce/release DLC early in a game's life span rather than later because that's when it will actually sell.

I agree that it's lame for the DLC to be on the disc though.

[quote name='GUNNM']so the games not even out yet and there's already dlc?
cut content?[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows until tomorrow at 8 a.m.

FREE DLC coming in JUNE

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi..._pack_coming_in_june_as_free_download.article

In addition to the deep single player campaign and robust online multiplayer components of Red Dead Redemption, we are also very happy to finally reveal the game’s co-op mode, which will be released FREE in June simultaneously for both consoles via Xbox LIVE® and PlayStation®Network, respectively.

The Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack will feature six all-new cooperative multiplayer missions to play with 2-4 players. This will be a completely free download that we will have ready for you to download and play at some time in June.

These six explosive and epic missions will play out across the game world, including:

“Walton’s Gold”
Walton’s Gang have taken control of a mining camp rich with gold. Fight through the camp and load your mine cart with as much gold as you can carry and get out as fast as you can – Walton’s boys have rigged the place to blow!

“The River”
Ride a raft down river, taking out rebel encampments along the way until you reach the rebel stronghold of Nosalida and a final epic battle for the town’s massive weapons caches. Watch out for Gatling gun-equipped enemy rafts.

“Ammunition”
The Mexican Army has the town of Tesoro Azul under siege. Storm the gates under heavy cannon, Gatling gun and sniper fire to destroy the Mexican artillery placements.

Plus three more missions to be revealed in detail soon.

The Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack will also yield additional multiplayer XP rewards, and brand new Achievements/Trophies to unlock.

Stay tuned for much more information – as well as release information and pricing on two further downloadable content updates, which we plan to release over the summer. Both of them will also be available simultaneously for both consoles.

Meanwhile check out these exclusive new screens from the Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack below:

Interesting. I'll be curious to see if this will get additional single-player story content in the same vein as GTA IV's add-ons.

[quote name='wildcpac']FREE DLC coming in JUNE[/QUOTE]

Free = win.

[quote name='Fjordson']Interesting. I'll be curious to see if this will get additional single-player story content in the same vein as GTA IV's add-ons.[/QUOTE]

It had better get that kind of an add-on. Rockstar has obviously put a lot of love an effort in creating this game world, and there's no reason why they shouldn't expand the world to additional stories.

[quote name='BingoBrown']It had better get that kind of an add-on. Rockstar has obviously put a lot of love an effort in creating this game world, and there's no reason why they shouldn't expand the world to additional stories.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I absolutely loved both Gay Tony and Lost & Damned.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS fuckING GAME!! The free roam mode for the mp sounds like it will provide endless hours of fun. But then again this game will provide endless hours of fun anyways.

This could be a stupid question, but do the GameStop "limited edition" bonuses apply for in-store pickups as well as online orders? Said bonuses being the soundtrack and the deadly assassin outfit. As of now I'm assuming they do, but you never know I suppose.

[quote name='johnnyrocker360']not sure about in-store pick-up but online orders get the bonuses.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. I hope so. They had a poster at the store advertising the Deadly Assassin outfit so at least that's a good omen.

Does GS still do midnight releases for most big name titles? I haven't bought anything from GameStop in a while and the last midnight release I went to was for Vice City I think, haha. I might have to head down there at midnight for this, though (and Alan Wake if they'll let me).

that's a good question about the midnight release. i remember they had a midnight release for left 4 dead 2 and assassin's creed 2. i would think alan wake and red dead would get the same treatment. i haven't seen a e-mail or anything about it though and normally they would advertise it by now but they are gamestop after all.

First one was pretty good and I was mildly looking forward to this one. But my hell after seeing the gameplay I actually might have to bump Allan Wake back another month (as if I'm not used to that) and pick this up. The miltiplayer looks really fun and my wife might get off on how realistic the horses look. A buy for sure.

It varies store to store but they usually have a midnight launch for big titles that will sell (ex:Call of Doodie) or when the GS stores in the area have a large number of pre-orders.

Learned this from a manager while waiting with 8-10 other people in the cold for Fallout 3 to launch.
The store wasn't going to have a midnight release but the district manager told them to do it anyways since the pre-order numbers were over 9,000! 100.

guys does any1 know if red dead redemption will be region free. i have a pal console, but i am looking to pickup the US ntsc version...

also, what is the best place to pre-order coz i am confused with the pre-order bonuses that best buy, amazon, gamestop offer its hard to choose?

thanks

It's called a joke brah. Stop fapping to pennyarcade.

[quote name='wildcpac']Any news on when the review embargo is lifted?[/QUOTE]
I was looking for the same thing last night. If I had to guess, I would say next Thursday or Friday

[quote name='wildcpac']Game Informer Review 9.75 Scans
[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. I fully expect outstanding reviews from the media, but I wonder how much time Game Informer actually spent with the game? When did Rockstar actually send RDR out to the media? I haven't seen any news that reviewers received their copies, and considering the high anticipation for this title, I would've thought someone would've discussed that.

^I was wondering that as well. I started hearing about the GI review this morning and thought it was fake for sure. I haven't heard anything about when the review embargo is up or about media outlets getting review copies.

Apparently, Gametrailers TV tonight is going to have a feature on RDR with a bunch of previously unseen gameplay footage. GTTV comes on around midnight for me. Hopefully they show some interesting stuff that isn't recycled from the trailers.

(For the record, GTTV is on Spike.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember, was leaked info and videos this sparse for GTA IV? There's literally nothing out there right now. Going to be a long week.

Oh and GamesTM gave RDR a 9/10.

RDR, Alan Wake and Split/Second all coming out on the same day is sooo stupid! I hate to give my support to RDR over those great games but this game looks like it's going to be great game to just spend hours playing. All the features and hopefully I can connect online, (my connection) I was able to play in GTAIV with little lag, make this extremely enticing (let alone the rarity of a good western game). I really wish I'd see some scores up on Metacritic before I pre-order just so I don't get burned (hype makes any game look good now n days). I do have a lot of confidence in Rockstar though.

bread's done
Back