Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

I'm 15% through the campaign and spent 9 hours already...mainly hunting, skinning, and exploring because it's fun for some reason. Hogtied my first bounty too, epic.

Anyone know when you beat the game if your unlocks carry over to your 2nd playthrough? i.e. outfits etc?

Ok ironically I killed my horse War by accident. Can I get this mystical creature back? I haven't played in a long time because well that was one reason haha.

[quote name='100xp']I'm 15% through the campaign and spent 9 hours already...mainly hunting, skinning, and exploring because it's fun for some reason. Hogtied my first bounty too, epic.

Anyone know when you beat the game if your unlocks carry over to your 2nd playthrough? i.e. outfits etc?[/QUOTE]There's no 2nd playthrough pre se. You can simply roam the countryside and finish up challenges and the like. You can also retry missions, but starting a new game is a fresh start back at zero.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok ironically I killed my horse War by accident. Can I get this mystical creature back? I haven't played in a long time because well that was one reason haha.[/QUOTE]Load a save? I think once the special horses are gone, they are gone until after the end mission then you can summon them like with deeds in the main game. I think your choices are either reload or go find a human on a horse and jack him. I reloaded once or twice after losing War, once when I had to leave him outside Fort Mercer and zombies killed him. Started dismounting away from hordes after that. You could also ride around and look for another Apoc. horse, but War is the coolest until Death. Just ride through Jorge's Gap for giggles.

True Achievements finally fixed their scanning for certain games since the Live update broke it. RDR finally scans at 100% for me :)

True. I still need to break one horse. I've heard you can catch Death like the others or you can get him at the end like me. I have his contract, but not the other two I broke previously. Does the other mythical creature have a contract too?

[quote name='jdawgg76']True. I still need to break one horse. I've heard you can catch Death like the others or you can get him at the end like me. I have his contract, but not the other two I broke previously. Does the other mythical creature have a contract too?[/QUOTE]

Once you break all 4 horses of the apocalypse it gives you a blood pact for all four.

The only one I had trouble finding was Pestilence. All of the others I just came upon while riding to another mission. The first I broke was War...god I loved riding that sucker around. If he somehow got killed I would reload my game before I got the blood pacts lol.

I would love to get in on the multiplayer achievements too. Feel free to add me on XBL.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingNothing09']The only one I had trouble finding was Pestilence. All of the others I just came upon while riding to another mission. The first I broke was War...god I loved riding that sucker around. If he somehow got killed I would reload my game before I got the blood pacts lol.[/QUOTE]

The way I understand it works is that there are a certain number of spawn points in the game world (i.e. in tall trees, near armadillo, etc) and they will randomly show up at each one. So if you want to hunt them down you just have to ride around to the spawn points and see if they are there. I found all 4 before the end of the game but the last one, Death, was not located where most people said they found it.

Ruahrc

I have a very quick question about the Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Collection if I buy a used copy at a Gamestop am I missing out on anything that would be in a sealed retail copy? Do the retail copies cotain both a DLC code and the add-on content on a actual disc like the rock band add on packs do? Or do they work like the add-on discs for Fallout 3 used to work?

[quote name='ajh2298']I have a very quick question about the Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Collection if I buy a used copy at a Gamestop am I missing out on anything that would be in a sealed retail copy? Do the retail copies cotain both a DLC code and the add-on content on a actual disc like the rock band add on packs do? Or do they work like the add-on discs for Fallout 3 used to work?[/QUOTE]

I just started to play it, nothing is codes, its all on disc, you dont need RDR to play it. There is no adding anything, or installs. Its just like a regular game. Though it doesnt have the original RDR story on it.

Man i was playing and saw some dude sitting by a campfire and he told me to sit down. It looked like one of those guys you sit down by and they tell a story, so i sat down. Then i noticed a pile of arms next to me right when i was sitting down. But this is the weird part. The dude stands up and starts shooting me, so i start trying to press any button i can to get back up and i couldnt, i ended up dead.

One thing about the 4 horses of the apocalypse, if i catch them all, is there a way to select which horse i want to use? Or do i have to catch the one i want to use all over again? I already caught one, but was thinking of going after another one that i didnt get before. But i dont see any deed in my inventory or anything to select which one i want to use. How does this work?

[quote name='The 7th Number']
One thing about the 4 horses of the apocalypse, if i catch them all, is there a way to select which horse i want to use? Or do i have to catch the one i want to use all over again? I already caught one, but was thinking of going after another one that i didnt get before. But i dont see any deed in my inventory or anything to select which one i want to use. How does this work?[/QUOTE]
You have to complete the Rank 5 challenge which is to get 5 zombie kills using Death. Once you do it you get Blood Pacts to all four horses.

Can someone explaine to me the towns i save, and them becoming infested with zombies again? I have about 8 of 13 towns saved in the US top half. It seems like blackwater is the main one that keeps getting infested and i have to save it again. If i got all these on the upper half of the map, would they still become infested again? Should i go after them all? or would that just make more reinfested towns pop up more?
I know there is an achievement to have them all safe at once.

Reminds me of the BS i hated in San Andreas where your hood would be under attack. The only good thing is in this game i can quick warp to the town and save it. PS, i just made it to mexico and did a few missions.

I hate the mother fucking online code for this damn game. I've been trying all damn day to get into an online game. It's a shitty dice roll at this point. My xbox tends to freeze when I get into a game or sometimes when it's trying to connect. I have a fucking open NAT and never have any problem with any other games. This game makes me so fucking mad! I want my fucking double XP. It's an otherwise great game but this online shit is driving me up a tree.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I hate the mother fucking online code for this damn game. I've been trying all damn day to get into an online game. It's a shitty dice roll at this point. My xbox tends to freeze when I get into a game or sometimes when it's trying to connect. I have a fucking open NAT and never have any problem with any other games. This game makes me so fucking mad! I want my fucking double XP. It's an otherwise great game but this online shit is driving me up a tree.[/QUOTE]

When i had the Original RDR i would go into a local game by myself, then go into a public game from there. It seemed to be the best way to get into a public game for me. So maybe try that.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can someone explaine to me the towns i save, and them becoming infested with zombies again? I have about 8 of 13 towns saved in the US top half. It seems like blackwater is the main one that keeps getting infested and i have to save it again. If i got all these on the upper half of the map, would they still become infested again? Should i go after them all? or would that just make more reinfested towns pop up more?
I know there is an achievement to have them all safe at once.

Reminds me of the BS i hated in San Andreas where your hood would be under attack. The only good thing is in this game i can quick warp to the town and save it. PS, i just made it to mexico and did a few missions.[/QUOTE]

If you want the achievement you need to go back and save them again. If you have it or don't care, once they are overrun, they are gone forever.

[quote name='mike.m']If you want the achievement you need to go back and save them again. If you have it or don't care, once they are overrun, they are gone forever.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, whats stupid is i fast traveled after seeing all the towns were fine. Then after i traveled and it loaded it said blackwater was lost forever. I was still able to go back there and save it, but no one was there to help out.

Hmmm i just beat the game. Overall it was good. Most of the game i was trying to rush, because i was always worried about my towns that i saved becoming infested with zombies again. That whole part didnt make the game any better. Trying to search the dead bodies for ammo were hit and miss. You would think they could have made that part easier. Sometimes id stand over a body and try to search it, but nothing, then the search body button would pop up as i was running away. Sometimes it would take 2-3 times walking over a body to finally get the search body button to pop up. Another thing i hated was after you save a town, you had to go through the town end to end to collect little chests for ammo. Why couldnt they just have one big chest in the middle of the town. I know i was supposed to get each chest and hand over the ammo to civilians, but i never had to because i always had enough ammo on me.

The ending was kind of dumb. First of all he kept saying he noticed that girl, i never noticed her till he said that. Then all he had to do was lay a mask on some platform. Just seemed a little lazy. I dont know, i loved the RDR original game, but didnt really like this that much. Not for 30 dollars.

Does anyone know what the last ? is on the way right in mexico? Every time i go there, nothing happens. No zombies, no civilians, no triggered cut scene.

well...it's not really $30, it's only $30 if you bought the retail disc that came bundled with 2 of the Multiplayer DLC packs, and being a CAG you could/should have gotten it when it was $19.99 retail or the even lower holiday DLC price of 1200 ms points. or 600 when it was onsale for just the DLC. (I think that was the sale price)

Finally picked this one up after being at the top of my want list for ages. Really enjoying the single player. I don't multiplayer often; I tried it just now but I can't seem to find the "Instantly Slay People 23 Levels Under You Who Present No Challenge Mode." That one seems to be the most popular.

Jumped on yesterday after a long hiatus. I joined a "Friendly Free Roam." Immediately after I spawn a guy runs up and starts shooting me. He must not have realized what "Friendly Free Roam" is. So I get on my horse and just ride away. I get out of town and some idiot shoots my horse. Call for another one and he shoots that one. I just walk away and he follows me until I joined another session. Where is the fun in that? At least in normal free roam I could have schooled him with head shots until he quit, but I didn't want to worry about getting griefed by players while trying to grind Pike's Basin.

[quote name='Renegade Moose']Jumped on yesterday after a long hiatus. I joined a "Friendly Free Roam." Immediately after I spawn a guy runs up and starts shooting me. He must not have realized what "Friendly Free Roam" is. So I get on my horse and just ride away. I get out of town and some idiot shoots my horse. Call for another one and he shoots that one. I just walk away and he follows me until I joined another session. Where is the fun in that? At least in normal free roam I could have schooled him with head shots until he quit, but I didn't want to worry about getting griefed by players while trying to grind Pike's Basin.[/QUOTE]

This was my experience last time I played in a "Friendly Free Roam". I kept getting killed by this guy who had explosive tomahawks or dynamite (I can't remember/just know it was really annoying so I left).

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I hate the mother fucking online code for this damn game. I've been trying all damn day to get into an online game. It's a shitty dice roll at this point. My xbox tends to freeze when I get into a game or sometimes when it's trying to connect. I have a fucking open NAT and never have any problem with any other games. This game makes me so fucking mad! I want my fucking double XP. It's an otherwise great game but this online shit is driving me up a tree.[/QUOTE]2x XP? Why didn't anyone say so? Now, what to play: RDR, GoW2 event or Uncharted 2 event? Decisions. BTW, I had a crappy connection and never had that problem. Weird.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah, whats stupid is i fast traveled after seeing all the towns were fine. Then after i traveled and it loaded it said blackwater was lost forever. I was still able to go back there and save it, but no one was there to help out.[/QUOTE]Last time you protected the town did everyone survive? It may be a glitch that everyone is dead or it may be that people die off if you take a long time to go help. I had the same problem at Bonnie's ranch. Seems like a bunch of attacks occurred when I go to Mexico and then they really slowed down. Dunno if it's random or whatever.

[quote name='The 7th Number']The ending was kind of dumb. First of all he kept saying he noticed that girl, i never noticed her till he said that.[/QUOTE]Really, you didn't notie it was the same girl who kept popping up? Didn't think the end was so bad. You returned things to there proper place to return order. It was getting there that was the "hard part". Not really hard though. The part that happens with the item at the end was funny.

[quote name='Renegade Moose']Jumped on yesterday after a long hiatus. I joined a "Friendly Free Roam." Immediately after I spawn a guy runs up and starts shooting me. He must not have realized what "Friendly Free Roam" is. So I get on my horse and just ride away. I get out of town and some idiot shoots my horse. Call for another one and he shoots that one. I just walk away and he follows me until I joined another session. Where is the fun in that? At least in normal free roam I could have schooled him with head shots until he quit, but I didn't want to worry about getting griefed by players while trying to grind Pike's Basin.[/QUOTE]Once had a guy keep following me and stabbing me I guess just cause. When he finally got bored I repeatedly shot his horse. Just cause ;). Mounts should really be protected too.

OK... Gotta ask before I open it up. I just bought the Undead Nightmare Collection, the one on disk. Do I need to have the original RDR disk to play this? The box doesn't say anything about needing it but figured I'd ask before opening it up.

I plan on getting up to the 3rd level prestige, er, "Legend" this weekend...at level 2, rank 41 right now. Just got my regular buffalo unlocked again :) Should get a good start towards level 4 before the Double XP event is over. Very very few legit high level prestige people out there I've found. Run into level 5 prestige guys all the time that suck like crazy, as they shoot me in the chest once or twice I've pulled off a headshot.

What rank are you guys at online?

[quote name='KingNothing09']What rank are you guys at online?[/QUOTE]
4th Legendary, Level 30. I don't play as much anymore because it is hard to find anyone I know online now. Just isn't the same. Plus there are so many griefers, even in Friendly. I swear it has gotten worse.

OK...is the Undead game version really that good? Asking because I picked it up for $20 on sale at k-mart the other day and haven't opened it up yet. I had the original game for a couple of weeks, and wasn't really into it all that much. So traded it in towards something else.

How long is this Undead solo version? I don't really play co-op or multi at all, so that portion has no appeal, but I do like zombies. So....not sure I'm going to be keeping it or returning it for some other $20 game.

Well I bought a copy of Undead Nightmare since it said it had 2-4 player co-op on the back of the box and there is no split screen co-op. They really need to be more careful with what they print on the back covers.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Well, you know. 5.[/QUOTE]Actually I was 14 and after a few hours today I moved up to 22. Some of it there were little ones around so I just picked herbs and ground out those challenges. Later I mostly did hideouts and some hunting stuff if the opportunity arose. Was getting about 2300 for Tesero Azul. Guess that's good.

[quote name='Renegade Moose']4th Legendary, Level 30. I don't play as much anymore because it is hard to find anyone I know online now. Just isn't the same. Plus there are so many griefers, even in Friendly. I swear it has gotten worse.[/QUOTE]Damn, 4th Leg. I have too many games and not enough time for that level of dedication. I played Cod4 for nearly eight months straight and only got to around 6th prestige. Course at best it was only a couple hours a day for the most part.

Since my time with RDR online is limited, I found my new favorite griefer. Got dumped from a friendly FR to a regular one and while doing Pike's Basin I got sniped and kept spawning nearby and got into a snipe war with the guy. Turns out he's the leader of my gang.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Damn, 4th Leg. I have too many games and not enough time for that level of dedication. I played Cod4 for nearly eight months straight and only got to around 6th prestige. Course at best it was only a couple hours a day for the most part.

Since my time with RDR online is limited, I found my new favorite griefer. Got dumped from a friendly FR to a regular one and while doing Pike's Basin I got sniped and kept spawning nearby and got into a snipe war with the guy. Turns out he's the leader of my gang.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, most of that is from Double XP weekends, but it still is one of my favorite games to play online.

I don't know why some people do that, but I have had a few times where they invite you to a posse and then as soon as you warp to them they start killing you. Yay, 1 xp! :p

How often are 2xp events for rdr? I think I have only seen it one other time around the undead release. Wish I knew it went on more often. I usually try to get in on xp events for games I like to play mp, but don't necessarily play all the time like this, Gears 2, Uncharted 2, etc. Unfortunately I was only able to play each game once during these holiday events. I'll have to pay closer attention.

[quote name='jdawgg76']How often are 2xp events for rdr? I think I have only seen it one other time around the undead release. Wish I knew it went on more often. I usually try to get in on xp events for games I like to play mp, but don't necessarily play all the time like this, Gears 2, Uncharted 2, etc. Unfortunately I was only able to play each game once during these holiday events. I'll have to pay closer attention.[/QUOTE]

In the past it was usually the weekend after new DLC launched, so about once a month. Not sure how they will plan it going forward.

I really want to get back into this game but I just can't get into it. Absolutely loved playing through single player (which is odd for me, I normally leave R* games unfinished) and multiplayer is fun, but it gets so damn repetitive. I've had the game since launch and there's no fucking possible way that I'm going to get near Legendary 1, let alone 5. Too much grinding in a MP setup that's just too damn boring.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Well I bought a copy of Undead Nightmare since it said it had 2-4 player co-op on the back of the box and there is no split screen co-op. They really need to be more careful with what they print on the back covers.[/QUOTE]

If you'll notice, certain features are outlined in green and other features are outlined in orange on the back of Xbox game cases. Off the top of my head, I can't recall which is which, but one color is for online play and the other is for offline play. If it doesn't say Co-op 2-4 players in both areas, don't expect to find local co-op in the game.

[quote name='BingoBrown']If you'll notice, certain features are outlined in green and other features are outlined in orange on the back of Xbox game cases. Off the top of my head, I can't recall which is which, but one color is for online play and the other is for offline play. If it doesn't say Co-op 2-4 players in both areas, don't expect to find local co-op in the game.[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head I think green is local, orange is online.

Split-screen co-op is a thing of the past, unfortunately. Very few games actually support it anymore, as everything is going towards an online multiplayer direction (if you haven't noticed).

I just got this game, and am really enjoying it so far. Just need some opinions:

I have 1600 pts to spend. Should I get the DLC pack where you get all three DLC packs for 1600 pts, or just get the Undead DLC, and save my other 800 pts for something else?

Bottom line: Are any other DLC packs besides Undead Nightmare worth it?

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']I just got this game, and am really enjoying it so far. Just need some opinions:

I have 1600 pts to spend. Should I get the DLC pack where you get all three DLC packs for 1600 pts, or just get the Undead DLC, and save my other 800 pts for something else?

Bottom line: Are any other DLC packs besides Undead Nightmare worth it?[/QUOTE]

If you're going to play online I'd recommend getting the Combo Pack for 1600 pts.

If you only plan on playing single player, just get the 800 point Undead DLC.

the add on multiplayer DLC does include the tomohawk and explosive rifle, so if that's something that you feel you need to have for the single player campaign then consider that before making your purchase. otherwise the Undead Nightmare dlc is sufficient to keep you entertained for many many more hours without the added multiplayer packs.

Wow, these are the best, most thought out answers I've gotten on any of the boards I've asked on.

I do plan on playing online. I just have to wonder if I'm going to be playing online enough to justify more online modes. And I keep hearing about how great Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is, and I could use the 800 pts towards that instead. :/

Red Dead seems to good though, I'd kinda like to have the complete package. Now watch me get everything, and play it online once ;)

They've already hit the nail on the head. I like the mp, even though other games have kept me from playing it that much, so I got the collection. Also, I'm a big Red Dead Revolver fan so it's awesome to run around mp as Red or Buffalo Soldier. Wish you could use them in sp. Definitely get Undead, but try out the mp for a bit and look at what the mp packs bring to the table for you.

[quote name='jdawgg76']They've already hit the nail on the head. I like the mp, even though other games have kept me from playing it that much, so I got the collection. Also, I'm a big Red Dead Revolver fan so it's awesome to run around mp as Red or Buffalo Soldier. Wish you could use them in sp. Definitely get Undead, but try out the mp for a bit and look at what the mp packs bring to the table for you.[/QUOTE]

Played more MP last night. I sucked at first, but I started getting some kills in. I enjoyed it, but with limited playing time, I wonder if the extra MP maps will be lost on me, as I barely have time to play games as it is :(

Either way, Red Dead will be a game that will keep me busy for a good long time. Maybe I'll just get everything so I get the full experience.

Any tips for Gang Shootout?

Quick question about the disc version of the Undead Nightmare collection. Are there any codes that come with the game that I would need to enter to access this content, or is it all on the disc? I'm thinking of picking up a secondhand copy, and I want to make sure everything will work.

Hey, the game had a title update today that was supposed to fix a few glitches and I'm wondering, is anyone else having problems with the game skipping the cutscenes that happen at the beginning of missions? That's been happening to me ever since I updated it today.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Hey, the game had a title update today that was supposed to fix a few glitches and I'm wondering, is anyone else having problems with the game skipping the cutscenes that happen at the beginning of missions? That's been happening to me ever since I updated it today.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you try clearing your cache and then trying again for the update.

Thanks, I'll try that again now!

Edit: I tried clearing my cache and reupdating the game but it's still not working. Anyone have an idea about why?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back