Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't talled up what I brought home tonight, but I got a ton - three or four oversized bags full of books...and I left a bunch at the store to be thrown out.

Yet again, we didn't have a SINGLE customer coming to look for penny guides. I even kept the stack I pulled out behind the counter in case anyone came looking to score a few guides, but nobody did. So I just took home one or two of everything and left the rest.

Total bust for me. Every Gamestop was on top of it... even those that usually are good for grabbing penny guides had already tossed them/had a box taken by employees. I visited 5 Gamestops.

Went to 3 Gamestops today. The first one had someone already taking all the guides (drat!). The second store, the same thing happened but this time, I was able to take a look at the list. I then scoured the Guide section and picked up a few guides that they missed (Lost Odyssey was one of them!). I then went to a 3rd Gamestop where they were just getting started to get rid of them. However, I do know the managers and workers there and proceeded to help myself. Got Too Human, Madden 2009 (x2) and one of each Disgaea guide.

Overall, it was a fruitful trip. Wish I could've done this last week. Would've been much more beneficial.

--Michael

Lets see, I went to 7 GSs today,

1) One had SC4 LE, Warhammer 2pack thing, Spore LE and Madden LE. They said they cant give them out, they have to destroy them, but they can give me one. I choose Madden( which i regret cause i will find this later, but not the other 3)

2) Brang up maybe 15 guides confirmed to be pennied here and at other stores, the guy gave me about half, lied about the other halves prices.

3) Brought up a few, and the lady was real nice, telling how they took all the pennied guides away but must have forgot these ones. Then she showed me the pile behind the counter, me and my cousin probably took 30 from the pile, there was probably 45 total. Nothing great though, as she said all the workers took what they wanted already. So i didnt even feel bad!

[quote name='DarkRider23']Anyone know if BB pennied out any guides yet? I'm forced to check GS one day late because I had school til 9 PM the day of a great guide drop>_

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I haven't talled up what I brought home tonight, but I got a ton - three or four oversized bags full of books...and I left a bunch at the store to be thrown out.

Yet again, we didn't have a SINGLE customer coming to look for penny guides. I even kept the stack I pulled out behind the counter in case anyone came looking to score a few guides, but nobody did. So I just took home one or two of everything and left the rest.[/quote]

Why don't you take those extra copies and start a tradelist here? I have no doubt many people would be appreciative of one more person to have the option to trade with.

[quote name='shrike4242']BB normally only pennies guides out on the first Monday of the month.

Which is this coming Monday, in fact.[/quote]

It's gona be a great Monday then. Thanks for the info.

Anyone noticed that the Disgaea Compilation guide is almost the same as the Disgaea PSP guide plus like 2 lines on page 270 about the extra in the DS version?

[quote name='62t']Anyone noticed that the Disgaea Compilation guide is almost the same as the Disgaea PSP guide plus like 2 lines on page 270 about the extra in the DS version?[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the deal with the Bioshock PS3 guide, that it just covers the extra Plasmids and Tonics and that is it.
Must be a pretty sweet racket, that guide-rehasing. Well, except that tons of your merchandise gets pennied out when it doesn't sell, I guess.

I actually asked at gamestop yesterday and the lady started to give me a lecture on how selling penny guides was illegal and that everyone who was giving them out/selling them would eventually be prosecuted...I just walked out before she could finish her fucking monologue.

[quote name='guinaevere']I just hate 'em. :nottalking:[/quote]

Well, you're about to hate me right now. First off, let me say that:

A.) The guides at this store were all going to be destroyed after closing
B.) Walking around with 4 large bags of guides attracts a lot of security guards, as well as moochers...and various combinations of the two.
C.) "x0" means that I had it but either sold/gave it away before this post.

Here is everything I got at my local GS:

x0 Pokemon Emerald
x1 DMC 4 (sealed)
x2 Soul Calibur 4 (softcover)
x0 FF: Ring of Fates
x1 Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3
x0 Xbox 360 Achievement List/Guide
x0 Star Wars Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels
x0 Lego Indiana Jones
x2 Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (x2 sealed)
x2 LoZ: Phantom Hourglass (x2 sealed)
x1 Naruto: Path of the Ninja 2
x1 Head Coach 09
x1 Madden 09 LE (sealed)(giving to my teacher)
x1 Spectrobes: Beyond the Portals (sealed)
x1 Sims 2: Apartment Life
x1 Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
x1 Destroy all Humans! Path of the Furon
x1 Rise of the Argonauts (sealed)
x1 Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood
x1 Farcry 2 (sealed)
x1 Battlefield Bad Company
x2 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness
x2 007 Quantum of Solace
x3 Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Guide
x2 Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Atlas
x1 Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Bundle (Guide+Atlas)(sealed)
x4 Naruto: The Broken Bond
x2 Socom Confrontation
x2 Fracture
x3 Too Human (Wombat & shipwreck are the only people who would want these)
x1 Lost Odyssey
x2 Dragon Quest IV
x2 NCAA Football 09
x2 Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
x2 Disgaea: Triple Strategy Guide (PS2, DS, PSP)
x1 Disgaea: Absence of Justice
x1 Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (most likely the only guide I won't trade)
x4 Cheat Code Overload (Yellow and Orange covers)
x2 Gameshark 2008 Codebook
x6 Codes and Cheats 18,000+ Codes (x2 red, x2 yellow, x2 green)
x2 Codes and Cheats: Fall
x2 7 pack Sims 2 guide (x1 sealed)

Hope this helps the OP. No GoW2 or Fable 2 guides guys, the workers already grabbed those (who wouldn't?). If a publisher is needed, LMK and I'll check. A lot were Prima though.

Be sure to check dumpsters. Two stores I hit today had TONS of guides in their dumpsters. The first dumpster find had been destroyed (heartbreaking :(((((((), but the second find was a gold mine. The guides were piled neatly beside the dumpster so I was able to avoid going through THE NASTIES.

[quote name='Devil May Cry']Here is everything I got at my local GS:[/quote]

Some of you give new meaning to "detail-oriented."

Oh, to have this kind of time on my hands again...

Congrats on the haul. I don't think many will hate you; the image of someone hauling around four bags of guides is too funny to leave room for hate. And what guides. "Path of the Furon?" Really?

fuck! I had no way of checking this thread before going to GS last night (curse you damn iphone!). I "struck out" at the first 3 GS I checked. At the last GS, I found a FF:Crisis Core and a Blue Dragon. I knew for sure that BD was pennied but just guessed on FF:CC. The clerk began to type in alot of stuff after he scanned each guide so I asked him how much they were. He told me that they were pennied.

After reading the new drop list, I realized that I could have picked up LO, ME, Lego Indy, BF:Bad Company and FC2 (among others) at the last GS. :bomb: Hopefully, they will still be there later on today. I doubt it since I had no luck with any of the guides in the previuos drop. I guess I got lucky that they overlooked BD and FF:CC.

I know of only 1 GS in my area with 1 beat up copy of Disgaea 3. :pray: That's my first stop tomorrow.

This may be old news by now, but here's the list of guides that (at certain times) have gone missing from the GS website. 34 in all:

Assassin's Creed Official Strategy Guide
Battlefield Bad Company Official Strategy Guide
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway Official Strategy Guide
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Official Strategy Guide
Devil May Cry 4 Official Strategy Guide
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Official Strategy Guide
Disgaea Compilation Official Strategy Guide
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride Official Strategy Guide
Far Cry 2 Official Strategy Guide
Fracture Official Strategy Guide
God of War Official Strategy Guide
LEGO Indiana Jones Official Strategy Guide
Lost Odyssey Official Strategy Guide (Prima)
Madden NFL 2009 Official Strategy Guide Limited Edition Bundle
Mana Khemia: Alchemists Al-Revis Official Strategy Guide
Mass Effect Official Strategy Guide
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Official Strategy Guide
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Official Strategy Guide
Naruto: Path of Ninja 2 Official Strategy Guide
NCAA Football 2009 Official Strategy Guide
NFL Head Coach 09 Official Strategy Guide
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Official Strategy Guide
Pokemon Emerald Official Strategy Guide
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Official Strategy Guide
Rise of the Argonauts Official Strategy Guide
Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood Official Strategy Guide
Sonic Unleashed Official Strategy Guide
Spore Official Strategy Guide Limited Edition Bundle
Star Wars Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duel & Jedi Alliance Official Strategy Guide
The Sims 2 Apartment Life Official Strategy Guide
Too Human Official Strategy Guide
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise Official Strategy Guide
Warhammer Online Atlas Official Strategy Guide
Warhammer Online Official Strategy Guide
Wario Land: Shake It Official Strategy Guide

[quote name='hellmutt']This may be old news by now, but here's the list of guides that (at certain times) have gone missing from the GS website. 34 in all:

Assassin's Creed Official Strategy Guide
Battlefield Bad Company Official Strategy Guide
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway Official Strategy Guide
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Official Strategy Guide
Devil May Cry 4 Official Strategy Guide
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Official Strategy Guide
Disgaea Compilation Official Strategy Guide
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride Official Strategy Guide
Far Cry 2 Official Strategy Guide
Fracture Official Strategy Guide
God of War Official Strategy Guide
LEGO Indiana Jones Official Strategy Guide
Lost Odyssey Official Strategy Guide (Prima)
Madden NFL 2009 Official Strategy Guide Limited Edition Bundle
Mana Khemia: Alchemists Al-Revis Official Strategy Guide
Mass Effect Official Strategy Guide
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Official Strategy Guide
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Official Strategy Guide
Naruto: Path of Ninja 2 Official Strategy Guide
NCAA Football 2009 Official Strategy Guide
NFL Head Coach 09 Official Strategy Guide
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Official Strategy Guide
Pokemon Emerald Official Strategy Guide
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Official Strategy Guide
Rise of the Argonauts Official Strategy Guide
Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood Official Strategy Guide
Sonic Unleashed Official Strategy Guide
Spore Official Strategy Guide Limited Edition Bundle
Star Wars Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duel & Jedi Alliance Official Strategy Guide
The Sims 2 Apartment Life Official Strategy Guide
Too Human Official Strategy Guide
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise Official Strategy Guide
Warhammer Online Atlas Official Strategy Guide
Warhammer Online Official Strategy Guide
Wario Land: Shake It Official Strategy Guide[/quote]

You forgot Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Pokedex. Also, Dragon Quest V hasn't been released yet. I think everything else on that list has pennied, though, so that was a damned fine drop.

Damn not even 2 weeks ago I purchased the Disgaea 3 guide for $8.99 I wonder if they would price adjust that for me I want $8.98 back especially for a guide I never use...!!!

[quote name='Derrick1979']Damn not even 2 weeks ago I purchased the Disgaea 3 guide for $8.99 I wonder if they would price adjust that for me I want $8.98 back especially for a guide I never use...!!![/quote]

I bought the Mana Khemia guide 2 weeks ago for that price, too, since it was the only one I saw at any store around me. Finally one store yesterday pulled them from the back, though, so I found a couple more, but if it's something you really want, I'd say it's better safe than sorry. I know I'm buying a Persona 4 guide as soon as it drops to $9.99 because I wouldn't want to risk waiting for it to penny.

5^ You also missed:
Zelda Phantom Hourglass Softcover
Super Mario Galaxy Softcover
Spyro Dawn Of The Dragon

I hit about 7 gamestops but only had luck at 4. Let me just say that getting penny guides at a mall store sucks! Especially a large mall & the store is no where near an entrance. With that said, both stores in this mall had already pulled the guides & had them in a box near the cash register ready to go out to the trash. So I asked nicely if I could "rescue" some. lol They both said we're just throwing them out anyway so help your self. So I walked out with 2 large bags full of guides. A lot of stores were really on top of this drop, even stores that normally don't pull them right away. One store I went to, the employees were really cool & the girl working even pulled out a few duplicates for me from the pile she was taking. I still did not find a Lost Odyssey guide though :( Oh and by the way, the sealed Warhammer pack with the guide & atlas is NOT pennied. One store checked it for me & they said it was still full price so some stores may have pulled it by accident.

Hmm... Not really good.

Hit up 5 gamestops total and only got one guide (Spore LE Bundle). All of them had their guides pulled, but this Spore guide was left on the rack for some weird reason. Manager didn't mind selling it to me at all. More like gave it to me actually, but he said it's fair game. If they leave anything on the rack and I bring it up they'll sell it to me. I guess I know which Gamestop(More like Planet X) I'm hitting up all the time. Although, I'm sure that if I had had the time to go yesterday I could have scored a lot more guides.

Now... *Waits for the BB price drops* I'll actually be able to go to BB the day the drop happens.

[quote name='supaet']couple gs i went to havnt drop yet
i was happy thinking that im able to score a bunch

but all ring up regular price
200+dollars i just turn and left
[quote name='Rave Child']Try tomorrow. Some stores are a day or so behind in their pricing. I tried to buy 4 Gears 2 LE guides last Thursday and it came out to $130+. I went the next morning at opening and bought them for $0.04.[/quote][/quote]

So I was able to hit this same store up this morning shortly after opening, and sure enough they hadn't pulled any guides. I was able pick up a fair amount of ones I missed out on yesterday, plus a couple more Disgaeas (one of each). Historically, this store has never pulled their guides, but my going in the mornings after the past two drops has caused them to subsequently pull them. It makes me feel like I should have grabbed more, but I was hoping to leave them for other CAGs. Maybe I can stop back after work and see if they were actually pulled.

Hey guys, please post the store where you find the pennied guides. It looks like GS and BB are the places to go... Does Game Crazy ever have drops???

[quote name='radman99']Hey guys, please post the store where you find the pennied guides.[/quote]Yes, it isn't always obvious where the guides are found.

Does Game Crazy ever have drops???
If you read the second post of this thread, you'd see that the second listed drop is from GameCrazy.

I should mention i like this newer gamestop I pass by on Thursdays.

The employee's grab penny guides from themselves but only for personal use and they don't take all of them. He knew several of the guides were pennied because he snagged some for himself and gave me the ones I found for free since he said they cant sell em.

I stopped at Game Crazy last night for some of those real triggers (and coincidentally picked up a complete Gripshift and brand new DMC4:LE for the PS3 for $30!) when I asked the guy working if I had missed any penny guide drops. He said they hadn't had any in a while (and this store has a TON of guides) so hopefully we'll be seeing something soon. I don't know if we have any more connections through CAG to Game Crazy so more than likely we're going to have to be proactive when we go.

i dont think he is asking for specific locations.
If it has been hoarded out by a Cag, dont we need to inform others?

i went dumpster raiding 3 GS, no guides. I guess i was either late, or employee hoards. But I did find thrown out accessories, a Mad Catz PS3 Hdmi port switcher, a cutted off microphone cord (no mic but the Logitech device + usb head is still on) I managed to electric tape them together with a old old old PC mic, and it bloody works on my Wii.

I saw Spore guide on the rack, is that pennied or just the LE?

[quote name='anch']i dont think he is asking for specific locations.
If it has been hoarded out by a Cag, dont we need to inform others?

i went dumpster raiding 3 GS, no guides. I guess i was either late, or employee hoards. But I did find thrown out accessories, a Mad Catz PS3 Hdmi port switcher, a cutted off microphone cord (no mic but the Logitech device + usb head is still on) I managed to electric tape them together with a old old old PC mic, and it bloody works on my Wii.

I saw Spore guide on the rack, is that pennied or just the LE?[/QUOTE]

I think just the LE

[quote name='Rave Child']You forgot Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Pokedex. Also, Dragon Quest V hasn't been released yet. I think everything else on that list has pennied, though, so that was a damned fine drop.[/quote]

Correct. I can confirm all of those from the one store I visited yesterday, with the exception of Dragon Quest V.

Damn fine drop, indeed.

I have 3 boxes full of guides from 1 store. The manager told me to take all of them instead of picking so I did.

It contains pretty much multiples of the recent drops. I'll start my trade list (free if you want to pickup) later on this evening.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm at work and don't have time to search. Is this a YMMV thing? I went to a local GS, found a few guides pennied out. The guy at the register said he had to call his manager, got on his cell, then said he couldnt sell them.

[quote name='hORRIDO2']I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm at work and don't have time to search. Is this a YMMV thing? I went to a local GS, found a few guides pennied out. The guy at the register said he had to call his manager, got on his cell, then said he couldnt sell them.[/QUOTE]

No stores are really SUPPOSED to sell them, but many stores just don't seem to care.
It is generally much harder to get guides from EB/GS, though, because this is one of the two-or-three areas that they actually do business in. It is much easier to get guides at Best Buy, because they have a lot more to worry about so they aren't as invested in the guides.

[quote name='gi60']I have 3 boxes full of guides from 1 store. The manager told me to take all of them instead of picking so I did.

It contains pretty much multiples of the recent drops. I'll start my trade list (free if you want to pickup) later on this evening.[/quote]

I had this experience just one time a few years ago. Now I can't find anything. Seems like the DM's in my area are playing hardball.

Alright so I had a thought cross my mind a little bit ago...

Would it be possible to buy guides at Best Buy that I think may get cut on Monday and then get them Price Adjusted if they do get cut or return them if they don't?

[quote name='mvp828']Alright so I had a thought cross my mind a little bit ago...

Would it be possible to buy guides at Best Buy that I think may get cut on Monday and then get them Price Adjusted if they do get cut or return them if they don't?[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling it would be far harder to get a price adjust on them as opposed to just buying them on the day they drop.

[quote name='mvp828']Alright so I had a thought cross my mind a little bit ago...

Would it be possible to buy guides at Best Buy that I think may get cut on Monday and then get them Price Adjusted if they do get cut or return them if they don't?[/quote]Nope. I've tried this personally, and they won't do it. You can return them, though when they'd go to re-ring them, the penny status would get them flagged to be pulled. So, they won't sell it, though you're wondering how people manage to buy them at the register?

Not every cashier rep knows about penny guides, so most of the time, they don't care about them and run the transaction, or they run it with some explanation by the customer of why they're pennied. Some stores will not do a purchase of penny guides, though it depends on the store.

CS reps tend to be more in the "know" about things like penny guides and the like, so they'll have more of a clue about them needing to be field-destroyed.

I've tried to do the buy-and-return or buy-and-price-adjust routines before and was shot down doing it more than once.

If you want them at a penny, you have to wait until they penny in the system and then buy them, if you're allowed to do so.

The problem I have is just that there is only one copy of a couple guides that I want and that are more than likely going to drop.

EDIT: Thanks Shrike... Makes sense, I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.

That being said, question for those of you that have been around for penny guides longer... How likely is it that BBs penny out a LE that has only been out a few months.

EDIT:EDIT: I kind of lol'd at this "Not every cashier rep knows about penny guides, so most of the time, they don't care about them and run the transaction, or they run it with some explanation by the customer of why they're pennied." My past to cashiers have been all excited about my 2 cent purchases. It made me think of the scene in Superbad where Jonah Hill buys liquor with an $80 bill and the clerk is estatic.

Got a few guides from a local GS. The clerk there is one of the best I've ever dealt with. He had a few set aside for himself, but pulled one of his stack for me: Sonic Chronicles. It was the only guide I truly needed for one of my sons. The clerk also gave me a few more from the back room. I think the GS guys are getting smart and keeping the good ones for themselves, but are sometimes willing to cough them up if you ask.

Went to a couple of GSs in my area, first one had a Disgaea 3 but when it rang up for a penny, he adjusted it to $9.99. Second one had the Disgaea compilation for a penny and gave me no problems with buying it.

[quote name='gi60']I have 3 boxes full of guides from 1 store. The manager told me to take all of them instead of picking so I did.

It contains pretty much multiples of the recent drops. I'll start my trade list (free if you want to pickup) later on this evening.[/quote]

Man thats lucky of you. My GS manager is an ass.

Today I walk in to my local gamestop to buy some GBC games. As soon as I walk in the manager says, "If your here for the penny guides don't bother. We aren't going to sell them to you, so don't even ask." What an ass. I wasn't even going to try and get them as I know he was going to turn me down.

He is the dumbest manager. He doesn't pull the guides off of the shelves at all. They have a whole store section full of guides. Then if you try to buy them he says no and puts them off to the side. THEN, (This pisses me off) he restocks them on the shelf?!?! The one time I tried to get the guides from him he took them and put them on the floor. The next day I had to go back to get a network adapter and I seen every guide I tried to buy right back on the shelf clumpted all together,(guess he didn't feel like seperating them)

Seriously I rather him pull the guides and do w/e with them rather then him leaving them on the shelf. The guides keep taunting me. They have at least 3 copies of every guide this and last weeks drops. Including 3 of each diseaga(sp?) guide that dropped.

Get a friend to go in and just buy one. Ususally if you come in to only get penny guides the clerks will almost certainly remember your face and unless you buy something else, it's almost an insult to their store.

The two stores I frequent for penny guides always give me no hassles and I make sure to try and preorder at least one thing/buy one thing to make them look good too. Karma goes a long way.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Get a friend to go in and just buy one. Ususally if you come in to only get penny guides the clerks will almost certainly remember your face and unless you buy something else, it's almost an insult to their store.

The two stores I frequent for penny guides always give me no hassles and I make sure to try and preorder at least one thing/buy one thing to make them look good too. Karma goes a long way.[/quote]

I never come in only to get penny guides. I always pick up a game with them. He remembers me because no one else around here touches the guides at all and it was only last week that I tried to buy them

Thanks to hellmutt and Rave Child for compiling the drop list. Even though this was a HUGE drop, I have to ask if anyone has any other additions to it before I add it to the second post.

I still can't believe that the Rise Of The Argonauts guide dropped already, since the game has only been out since December 16th. It figures too, since that guide and Mercenaries 2 are ones I'd really want, but they pennied at a place it's near impossible for me to get them from.

As for coming in only for penny guides, I used to try that 'little purchase' thing to mask the guides. But after having them yank the guides from my purchase and then tell me the total for the rest of it, I just say fuck it anymore and go in to have them price check 'guides I heard you guys clearanced'.

If they give them to me, fine. If not, fuck it either way, it's no big loss.

Here's the list, which will be added to the second post after verifying that we didn't miss anything from the drop:

Assassin's Creed
Battlefield Bad Company
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Devil May Cry 4
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Disgaea Compilation
Far Cry 2
Fracture
God of War
Legend Of Spyro: Dawn Of The Dragon
LEGO Indiana Jones