Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven and a Half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I've been wondering something since I saw a GoW II guide unsealed. It had what appeared to be a sticker barcode over the guide barcode, and the sealed one had the same thing. From what this thread was saying I thought the sticker was on the wrapper itself; is it actually under the wrapper, on the guide, and then had to be removed? Is that why this guide is so controversial? I want it but just coudln't bring myself to remove the sticker.[/quote]

Yep, that's why this guide is usually not allowed to be talked about, because you have to change the UPC from the stickered one back to the original to get it, unless you get lucky like I finally did and find one that someone had already taken the time to do it FOR you. :lol: And, it only took me going out of state for work to find a BB with one without the sticker, FINALLY.

And, there are actually 2 versions of the seal/sticker combo on this guide. One is right on the plastic wrap itself and the other is UNDER the plastic wrap on the guide itself.

[quote name='jgamezcua']Also, looks like Lynch's article dried up all the EB/GSs in my area. Even the one I go to with the cool manager denied me. The manager there told me that they have been getting 3-5 people a day asking about the penny guides in their backroom, all referencing lynch's article. So I was told no more penny guides for awhile, if ever, again due to the article and some sort of crack down EB/GS is doing at least in my area in response to the article.

I was #6 for the day asking about penny guides at one store and #3 for the day at the other two I went to. I thought it was weird that each of the the clerks at diff stores told me that and then one of them even interrogated me on how I knew about them at which point he called his manager to tell on me. What a tool.

Anyway, Sux, may Lynch be lynched for drying up my penny guide supply.....[/QUOTE]

So, is it too early to nominate Casey Lynch for CAG Villain of the Year?

When you go to get one of these guides that are a penny are they usually marked or do you have to just know from looking on the wiki list and whatnot which ones are a penny?

Also, are the penny guides posted here always a penny at all the stores?

Thanks.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']When you go to get one of these guides that are a penny are they usually marked or do you have to just know from looking on the wiki list and whatnot which ones are a penny?

Also, are the penny guides posted here always a penny at all the stores?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
You just have to know it. They might get marked but that rarely happens.

Most of the time they will be penny. Sometimes people might grab the wrong version or a guide might get a reprint.

62t answered your first question. I just wanted to add some information on your second.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Also, are the penny guides posted here always a penny at all the stores?[/quote]When it's Best Buy and GameStop yes. BUT...
Say Polkamon X Guide is pennied out at Gamestop. It will scan as 1¢ in every GameStop store there is. However, the person scanning the guide may tell you full price or something other than a penny.

There's a reason for this. It's because they aren't supposed to sell those guides. For more information, you can read the OP where I explain what a penny guide is, and why it's marked as 1¢ in stores' inventory.

Fable $7.99 @ Game Crazy (I know, not really worth mentioning)

...could be lower, new manager (I think), he could've just said $8 instead of 1 penny ;)

I don't think so but I hope so, cause they had like 10 of 'em so I'll just hoard them out (I'm the only person that ever takes their guides...they STILL have CV Dawn of Sorrow guides ;))

I wish they'd build a GC or a GR around here, since all we have in my area are Blockbuster and HollyWood Video stores(and a couple Movie Gallery stores too).

Closest GC to me is like 30-35 miles away and I'm not about to go that far away unless it's for work or my family wants to hit up that area for a bit.

All the GR and Rhino stores around here closed years ago....so we're almost even. Plus GC stopped taking classic games so they don't have the same level of awesomeness as before.

i was just thinking about gamecrazy. while i was there they had tons of guides. most of them are actually in great condition. and in the back where you can see they have at least 100's more. don't they ever penny guides? or at least lower its price?

there are like 4 game crazy around where i live. One of them is the closet gaming store from my house. However I have yet to score any pennied guide from any GC

Yeah Game Crazy does penny guides. You can get the full list in the strategy guide wiki page. They also have some marked down, like Zelda Wind Waker for $3.99.

The stores by my house are lazy about guides, all 3 of 'em. I've been to other stores across town by they all seem to be more regulated with guides.

I once went into a Game Crazy with the full list of penny guides and the girl that was working was pretty bored so she just took my list and started pulling them from the back :) If I request a specific one they'll usually pull it from the back for me, penny or not. Still haven't got my Tales of Symphonia guide though >_

I'd like to know as well. It's been a while since BB's had a drop. I wonder if that psm article had an effect on BB as well as EB/GS?

[quote name='erehwon']I'd like to know as well. It's been a while since BB's had a drop. I wonder if that psm article had an effect on BB as well as EB/GS?[/quote]
How could it? They haven't even pennied anything since that article came out.

Hasn't it been like a month and a half since there was a BB drop? What the heck is going on?

Looks like Supreme Commander just disappeared from the site.

Also, though they aren't on the site, I've seen guides for Flight Simulator X, Command and Conquer 3, Battlefield 2042, and some Sims 2 expansion pack in the store. Could anyone check on the status of those guides?

Ahhhh, it must be Sunday. Here come all of the "any word on BB tomorrow" posts.

Anytime there is a drop at BB, nobody on here holds it as a secret, so we don't have to keep posting with the same weekly questions. If there has been a drop, then someone will post. Or better still, just go in and do a price check on any guide that isn't on the Best Buy site anymore.

Alright, i m new to the whole penny guide thing. I m 14 so i ride my bike everywhere, tomarrow i plan on riding to my local Best Buy, Game Stop, and Game Crazy.(all in the same parking lot 5 minutes from my house). the question is when i get there what do i say, should i bring the list from the wiki or ask one or 2 of them. wouldnt it be easier to ask for a more recent drop.

Thanks in advance you guys are amazing

...Walking up and saying "Here is a list of guides you should be selling for a penny, courtesy of the internet. May I have them?" will probably do you no good. Find the guides (if you can, which is doubtful) that should be a penny, try to buy them. If they're a penny and they sell them to you, alright. If they aren't a penny for whatever reason, make some kind of excuse. ;)

[quote name='Rocko']...Walking up and saying "Here is a list of guides you should be selling for a penny, courtesy of the internet. May I have them?" will probably do you no good. Find the guides (if you can, which is doubtful) that should be a penny, try to buy them. If they're a penny and they sell them to you, alright. If they aren't a penny for whatever reason, make some kind of excuse. ;)[/quote]

Heres My List:i tryed to pick more recent ones:
Tony Hawk Project 8
Mario Party 8
Shadow Hearts
Guitar Hero 2
Madden 07
Red Steel
Mario + Luigi Partners In Time
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Halo 2
Gears Of War
Final Fantasy 3

i m going to walk into gamestop and say "do you have "list those games(notice i threw in some non 1c ones)" i need to complete my collection, the employees at gs know me from always ridfing there and buying wii games. i m pretty sure i saw red steel there not too long ago(i hope its cheap), if they dont have any but the non 1c ones, i will just say "ok thanks, ill check over at best buy"

Regardless of what you get just be nice about it. Trust me, it helps. If youre looking for guides that can't be found on the sales floor I would recommend only asking for 1 or 2 different guides. Anything more than that sends up a .01 guide red flag. Happy hunting!

[quote name='LilPaintballer']Heres My List:i tryed to pick more recent ones:
Tony Hawk Project 8
Mario Party 8
Shadow Hearts
Guitar Hero 2
Madden 07
Red Steel
Mario + Luigi Partners In Time
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Halo 2
Gears Of War
Final Fantasy 3

i m going to walk into gamestop and say "do you have "list those games(notice i threw in some non 1c ones)" i need to complete my collection, the employees at gs know me from always ridfing there and buying wii games. i m pretty sure i saw red steel there not too long ago(i hope its cheap), if they dont have any but the non 1c ones, i will just say "ok thanks, ill check over at best buy"[/QUOTE]

Also, keep in mind that different guides are pennied out at different stores. For example New Super Mario Bros is pennied out at Gamestop but not at Best Buy. Red Steel is pennied out at Best Buy but not at Gamestop.

[quote name='Josef']Also, keep in mind that different guides are pennied out at different stores. For example New Super Mario Bros is pennied out at Gamestop but not at Best Buy. Red Steel is pennied out at Best Buy but not at Gamestop.[/quote]
thanks ill have to redo my list then
Gamestop:
Graw
GH 2
THP8

Game Crazy:
Advance Wars DS
Halo 2

Best Buy:
God Of War
Red Steel( do i have to unwrap this or something, because it has an sku in the wiki)
Mario + Luigi

[quote name='neocisco']Regardless of what you get just be nice about it. Trust me, it helps. If youre looking for guides that can't be found on the sales floor I would recommend only asking for 1 or 2 different guides. Anything more than that sends up a .01 guide red flag. Happy hunting![/QUOTE]

That's what I have done before at EBgames if I don't see anything that was just dropped on the floor. I know a few times when I went into EBgames shortly after a drop I'll usually ask for my most wanted guide (or most wanted that I remembered seeing recently) and ask them if they have it. If your lucky they will bring you one out of the back, if your not so lucky (like me!) then they will just say that they don't carry it anymore :(

LilPaintballer - it should be noted that most (if not all) of those guides have been pennied out for awhile. If your new to penny guides it should be noted that you'll probably be lucky to find any. I especially remember even when God of War first got pennied out at Best Buy that people were having a hard time finding it.

I saw a somewhat worn Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner guide at my GS for 4.99. Not exactly a penny, but I thought It might be worth mentioning since its Atlus related ;)

Hmm...you dont say. Well, I thought I'd just mention it since this is the first time I've seen a guide that wasnt priced below 9.99.

[quote name='Link927']I saw a somewhat worn Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner guide at my GS for 4.99. Not exactly a penny, but I thought It might be worth mentioning since its Atlus related ;)[/quote]

I think I was the one who mentioned it being $4.99 originally. Of course, I got mine for FREE when I put down a $5 pre-order on God Of War II in a far off GS store at a mall I'd been lucky at before for guides.

[quote name='guinaevere']That would be one ultra fast drop![/quote]

It happened with Mage Knight Apocalypse and some other PC guides, where the game was barely out a month and the guide dropped to .01 . Never know till you check it, Gwen.

Oh and Lilpaintballer, if you're looking for those guides and not finding any at the local GS/BB stores, you can always try the Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse thread in the CAG Game Trading page. Here's a link:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Many people have their trade lists of guides posted there and many may have the guides you're looking for. Either way, good luck.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']thanks ill have to redo my list then
Gamestop:
Graw
GH 2
THP8

Game Crazy:
Advance Wars DS
Halo 2

Best Buy:
God Of War
Red Steel( do i have to unwrap this or something, because it has an sku in the wiki)
Mario + Luigi[/quote]

FYI for any penny guide drop unless you get there on day 1 don't expect to find anything. You might be surprised but for the most part after the first day they get disposed or bought up.

[quote name='Brian9824']FYI for any penny guide drop unless you get there on day 1 don't expect to find anything. You might be surprised but for the most part after the first day they get disposed or bought up.[/quote]

Actually, I've found copies of guides in stores for months after a drop before, but of course that was prior to the Best Buy and GS crackdowns locally. Now, I'm lucky if I find ONE guide that dropped in any of those stores and don't get told that either 'I can't buy it' or 'they can give it to me, but they have to rip off the cover FIRST'. To both of those, I just say 'KEEP IT' and walk back out after looking around a bit more.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']I didn't think that they allowed you to get the penny guides @ best buy, circuit city, and toys rus?[/quote]

Well if they never allowed it, there wouldn't be a need for a whole thread about it, now would there?

They aren't supposed to, but some slip by. My Best Buy, for example, has had penny guides sitting there months after they were pennied, some even marked $0.01, and I've only had one time where they didn't allow me to buy them.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']I didn't think that they allowed you to get the penny guides @ best buy, circuit city, and toys rus?[/QUOTE]
I dont think anyone got the recent pennied guide at circuit city as it is not in the system.

As for other store it will depends. The local TRU wont sell them to me.

Didnt see anything. Checked about 20 guides and nothing at all.

They didnt have Battlefield 2142 so i couldnt check that but all the other guides rang up normally.

I did find an old $.01 copy of Dirge of Cerberus which surprised me as i know it wasnt there the 4-5 times since i checked and cleaned em out since then.

Circuit City: even if you find a guide for a penny they'll almost definitely have no clue what is going on and decline the sale.

Toys R Us: they always find out in advance about penny guides but older ladies that have been there for years & years usually don't care anymore and they let people take 'em. It also depends on how strict management is.

Best Buy: the king of guides, but its hard to get them at a lot of stores these days. Lots of people will stash guides on saturday/sunday and come back the next week to get them when they know the guides are dropping. You'll also find weird oddball guides that dropped months & months ago at random...like Brian9824's Dirge guide :)

Game Crazy: hit or miss depending on store & regional management from what I can tell. Sometimes the employees will "miss" finding a guide when they're told to pull them from the floor. Most stores don't destroy the guides either and just have a mound of guides in the back...its nice to get on the good side of Game Crazy employees ;)

Game Stop/Electronics Boutique: hit and miss, but extremely hard to find a store that'll actually let customers take penny guides. Best bet in getting anything from GS/EB is showing up the day of the penny drop. Usually if you get in early enough they won't have checked the e-mail and removed everything.

I don't think I've tried getting penny guides from any where else.

[quote name='freshzen']Circuit City: even if you find a guide for a penny they'll almost definitely have no clue what is going on and decline the sale.

Toys R Us: they always find out in advance about penny guides but older ladies that have been there for years & years usually don't care anymore and they let people take 'em. It also depends on how strict management is.

Best Buy: the king of guides, but its hard to get them at a lot of stores these days. Lots of people will stash guides on saturday/sunday and come back the next week to get them when they know the guides are dropping. You'll also find weird oddball guides that dropped months & months ago at random...like Brian9824's Dirge guide :)

Game Crazy: hit or miss depending on store & regional management from what I can tell. Sometimes the employees will "miss" finding a guide when they're told to pull them from the floor. Most stores don't destroy the guides either and just have a mound of guides in the back...its nice to get on the good side of Game Crazy employees ;)

Game Stop/Electronics Boutique: hit and miss, but extremely hard to find a store that'll actually let customers take penny guides. Best bet in getting anything from GS/EB is showing up the day of the penny drop. Usually if you get in early enough they won't have checked the e-mail and removed everything.

I don't think I've tried getting penny guides from any where else.[/quote]

How do you know when the guides drop?

You check here. We have people who work at bestbuy etc that will tell us but typically its the first monday of the month if there is a drop.

is there some kind of law that says if a store has that item in their computer listed at one penny then they HAVE TO sell it? any ideas?

Well, I know when I found a Dual Shock 2 listed as $7 or so, when the rest of them were marked $19.99(a whole $5 off regular retail, boy what a deal), they let me have the controller for the price it was marked. And, this was at a GS brand store no less. :whistle2:X

However, unless you live in a state with strict pricing error rules, where they could get in serious trouble for denying a sale because 'it's not supposed to be on the floor already', there is nothing to stop a store from saying 'you can't have that'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back