Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven and a Half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure if EB/GS handled old/used guides again they would just handle them the same as games anyways. By which I mean premium prices for the guides that warrant it.

Of course, since unlike EB, Gamestop seems to be stricter about their policies and pricing. Only if people completely stopped shopping at Gamestop would they get the message, once their inventory didn't move for MONTHS.

[quote name='fairtrade']I'm sure if EB/GS handled old/used guides again they would just handle them the same as games anyways. By which I mean premium prices for the guides that warrant it.[/quote]

Actually, not really. There used to be a Gamestop around here that dealed in used guides. They'd only buy ones they knew would sell (I traded in Pokemon Stadium and the clerk told me the only reason he's accepting it is because Pokemon is so popular and it was in good shape). And all the used ones would be sold a $2 regardless. I got the ultimate Metal Gear Solid guide(popular with MGS/Kojima collectors) and Medieval 2 for both $2.

I remember a GS at a mall far away sold used guides, and not only that, but also sold used manga. Of course, they were all bent and worn.

[quote name='Link927']also sold used manga. Of course, they were all bent and worn.[/quote]

That's cuz all the fangirls needed to keep them open while they drew their bishie on bishie fanarts. >___>

Speaking of manga though, I remember I was at this out of the way dollar store and they had rack STUFFED with manga for $1 each. I was in a rush at the time and really didn't look but I remember they had some that I've actually heard of. And all were in good condition. I need to find that place again. Definitelty is the cheapest way to get this girl I know manga. There are like 5 of us in a competition for her, even though i'm just in it for the attention. :roll:

So I was making a killing on trade-in values on the DS bonus over the weekend, and I figured I might as well slip in the Gameshark Ultimate Codes 2007 penny book...it had a $9.99 label over the original UPC and it scanned in the system as $9.99. :cry:

I returned it after a second scan and just departed with my PS1 titles. The clerk didn't flinch as he looked onscreen, he scanned it as he would've scanned in any new/used game.

[quote name='Caliburn']So I was making a killing on trade-in values on the DS bonus over the weekend, and I figured I might as well slip in the Gameshark Ultimate Codes 2007 penny book...it had a $9.99 label over the original UPC and it scanned in the system as $9.99. :cry:

I returned it after a second scan and just departed with my PS1 titles. The clerk didn't flinch as he looked onscreen, he scanned it as he would've scanned in any new/used game.[/quote]

This makes at least two guides to have stickers over the original UPC, the God Of War II guide being the other one.

And, which store in Philly area still has PS1 titles? I'm just curious, as unfortunately the dump store here got hit by 'some lady who bought 177 titles for $60', according to the one clerk at the store.

It was probably the SAME woman who wanted both Alundras which I had my hands on 2 weeks ago, since she seemed to be picking mostly harder to get titles from the bin. Damned resellers/hoarders. :cry: All of the Mega Man titles, any remaining copies of Nuclear Strike and the 1-2 copies of Norse By Norsewest went poof with her, I'm sure.

Looks like the last BB drop was 5/21 according to the Wiki, although I could've sworn there was one after that. That was the third Monday of the month, and the third Monday of August will be tomorrow, for what it's worth. Anyone near a BB might do well to check those guides that recently dropped off of the site.

Definitive Best Buy drop tommorrow. Notice went out Friday. I'm sorry I don't have the list but I know it included Rogue Galaxy, Pokemon Ranger (Not sure which) and I believe GRAW 2 and Shadowrun.

Sorry if this has been posted

Wait, notice went out Friday? Is Vahn sleeping at the wheel? ;)

In any event, I should be able to find them at my Magical Best Buy of Mystical Wonderment. They never pull guides early.

Edit:
Shadowrun is still 19.99 on the website, but GRAW 2 is MIA. Here's the possible list according to what has dropped off the site:

Rogue Galaxy
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario (Prima)
Viva Pinata
You & Wii
Zelda: Twilight Princess GC (Prima)
Nintendogs Pups
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Prima)
Pokemon Ranger (Prima)
Supreme Commander
GRAW 2
Pokemon Pocket Pokedex
Pokemon D/P (NP)
Pokemon D/P Pokedex (NP)

Shadowrun hasn't dropped yet, but that might not mean anything. Frankly, I'm starting to wonder if BB is just toying with its devil customers...

[quote name='Brainwave0']I'm showing Shadowrun online at BB $0.01 right now![/quote]
Thx, ordered for store pickup. We'll see if I can snag one. It figures that they finally penny guides the first Monday I go back to work after the whole summer off. Bastids. Oh well, the only two I'd really want are Viva Pinata and Super Paper Mario anyway.

[quote name='ozzymandd']Edit:
Shadowrun is still 19.99 on the website, but GRAW 2 is MIA. Here's the possible list according to what has dropped off the site:

[/quote]

Looks to be still on the site for $14.99

[quote name='Pookymeister']Looks to be still on the site for $14.99[/quote]

That's the Nintendo Power one, the Prima one was dropped from the site, it looks like This.

[quote name='Brainwave0']I'm showing Shadowrun online at BB $0.01 right now![/quote]

thanks for the heads up man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put in two in-store pickup orders for two different bestbuy's in my area...not expecting them to fulfill my orders but worth a shot....put in one order for one guide which is alls i really need and with 2.99 for shipping it's not bad to get a guide i wanted for a total of $3.26 including tax and shipping since the guide is only one penny!

Thanks, Brainwave01. Nailed down a copy for in-store pickup, so if they don't have it, free shipping on it.

Hopefully, the other guides ozzymandd listed will be dropped today or shortly. I know there's a few there that I'd like to get.

If we're lucky, someone will make a run by BB and do some price checks. If they do drop today, if someone could try to find me the following (as I'll be on the way back from being out of town), I'd really appreciate it:

Mario Party 8
Viva Pinata
You & Wii
Supreme Commander
GRAW 2

Thanks Yeahman! It's good to have another BB insider. The more the merrier, I say.

I wrote down a list of the guides that did not drop and will compare it to what my BB has. There might be one or two we missed. BTW, did BB ever carry the Gears of War LE?

[quote name='ozzymandd']Thanks Yeahman! It's good to have another BB insider. The more the merrier, I say.

I wrote down a list of the guides that did not drop and will compare it to what my BB has. There might be one or two we missed. BTW, did BB ever carry the Gears of War LE?[/quote]

Yep, it was 19.99 when I checked last week. Maybe dropping today?

Picked Shadowrun for in-store pickup, will probably need it as trade fodder for SPM. At the least it gives me an excuse to go over there after work and check for anything on the shelf.

And it's ready for pick-up, that was quick.

Dropped Today

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter 2 (8288729)
Shadowrun (8380815)
Shadowrun (8367787)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (8030043)
Rogue Galaxy (8258477)
Codes & Cheats 2007 (8246962)
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl (8297489)

Then a few guides dropped down to 10 bucks

Pokemon Ranger:Road to diamond & pearl (8144821)
Elder Scrolls IV: Shimmering Isles (8313684)
Viva Pinata (8313728)
Super Paper Mario (8327385)

Sorry on the delay, had a crappy weekend.

In for a couple of Shadowruns for in-store pick-up at each BB location near me. Hopefully there are some of the other guides left when I get there.

[quote name='vahn401']Dropped Today

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter 2 (8288729)
Shadowrun (8380815)
Shadowrun (8367787)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (8030043)
Rogue Galaxy (8258477)
Codes & Cheats 2007 (8246962)
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl (8297489)

Then a few guides dropped down to 10 bucks

Pokemon Ranger:Road to diamond & pearl (8144821)
Elder Scrolls IV: Shimmering Isles (8313684)
Viva Pinata (8313728)
Super Paper Mario (8327385)

Sorry on the delay, had a crappy weekend.[/quote]

Rats, that means I'll never find Rogue Galaxy. I was hoping they'd go to $5 before pennying.

I checked both ROgue Galaxy and GRAW 2 and BOTH rang up at $9.99 still. You sure the drops were in affect already?

Also 1/2 the shadowrun guides are sticked over ringing up at full price.

I did find an 2 shadowrun, an old Oblivion and $.01 GoW 2 guide so i'm happy. Didn't see any STALKER guides which makes me sad :whistle2:(

Thanks Vahn. Already picked up Rogue Galaxy at 5 bucks AC, but I might swing by in a week and see if any Stalker guides are still floating around (my BB is hit or miss, either they dissappear right away, or they'll be there for 2 months)

[quote name='Brian9824']I checked both ROgue Galaxy and GRAW 2 and BOTH rang up at $9.99 still. You sure the drops were in affect already? Also 1/2 the shadowrun guides are sticked over ringing up at full price.[/quote] Hmmm...anyone else have any luck?

I may go ahead and try to pick up a Super Paper Mario if I can swing the expired GPBB coupon.

It's been a while (OK, 30 minutes, but still) since I placed the orders online for Shadowrun and I don't even have an email confirmation yet...

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw a pick-up confirmation roll into the inbox...

What the fuck? Rogue Galaxy and an un-restickered Shadowrun rang up as full price (9.99 for RG and 16 or 19 for Shadowrun). Viva Pinata also rang up as full price.

so none of these scans a penny?

Rogue Galaxy
Mario Party 8
Viva Pinata
You & Wii
Nintendogs Pups
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Prima)
Pokemon Ranger (Prima)
Supreme Commander
GRAW 2
Pokemon Pocket Pokedex
Pokemon D/P (NP)
Pokemon D/P Pokedex (NP)

[quote name='ozzymandd']What the fuck? Rogue Galaxy and an un-restickered Shadowrun rang up as full price (9.99 for RG and 16 or 19 for Shadowrun). Viva Pinata also rang up as full price.[/quote]Oooooo...BB be messing w/ the devils!

I'll see what it looks like at mine in a couple hours when I get a chance.

Any word on:
Mario Party 8
Nintendogs Pups
Supreme Commander
Pokemon Pocket Pokedex
Pokemon D/P (NP)
Pokemon D/P Pokedex (NP)

[quote name='Brian9824']See my post #472 where I said that ozzy[/QUOTE]

Yea, I saw it. I was seconding the motion :D

I scanned Pokemon D/P guide and Pokedex (Nintendo Power versions). They were full price as well, which isn't a surprise since they weren't on Vahn's list. I just don't get why Rogue Galaxy didn't scan as .01.

I tried all non-pokemon stuff and it all rang up full price. However, I did find a few Shadowrun for a a penny. Others had stivkers over the UPCs that changed them to full price.BB, why do you mock us so?

***Correction***Correction***Correction***

"On Aug 20, the media team will receive an action center item to pull the skus listed below from the shelves and process as junkout, and will not be lowered to a penny"

This was just released a few minutes ago, people of a CAG, this be a sad day, this just might mark the day of death of the penny guide...

[quote name='vahn401']"On Aug 20, the media team will receive an action center item to pull the skus listed below from the shelves and process as junkout, and will not be lowered to a penny"[/quote]Jeez, if only they just lower them to $5, they'll sell like crazy. I guess they get more than $5 credit back from the publisher for each guide they destroy.

I still need to go pick up my online order, though, so...

Question though, even if they are being instructed to remove the items if they miss them will they ring up at a penny later? Odd because Shadowrun WAS a penny.

Not sure i'm understanding the logic in this. Do they pull the guides and never change the price or do they pull the guides and change the price?

[quote name='Brian9824']...if they miss them will they ring up at a penny later? [/quote]So, say if they forgot to check the appliance section? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back