Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven and a Half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Brian9824']Question though, even if they are being instructed to remove the items if they miss them will they ring up at a penny later? Odd because Shadowrun WAS a penny.

Not sure i'm understanding the logic in this. Do they pull the guides and never change the price or do they pull the guides and change the price?[/quote]

Best Buy has done this method before, but its usually with only PC game guides. Instead of dropping them to a penny, they actually take the time to send them back, so if one were to be left behind, it would still ring up full price. They are pretty much doing the same thing now, except they are actually destroying them, which like many will say, I'm suprised they havn't done this method earlier.

As for shadowrun still pennying out, I wouldn't be suprised if a few leak through at the penny price tag, but it seems like the majority from this drop is still retail. Maybe it will change, today is the day it takes effect, so maybe theres a delay, and we'll see the penny price tag tomorow?

Damn. Might order a Shadowrun for a penny for in store pickup. Luckily there's nothing I need, but it saddens me that penny guides might be done at BB.

My Shadowrun order at the first BB was canceled...apparently they were not in stock (um, right). I didn't receive any emails or anything, but it was noted on the order when I checked the website. Since I was going there to look for other guides anyway, I decided to try and pick up my canceled order. Maybe I'd get lucky and someone would pull them out from the back, eh?

Eugaet: Hello, I'm here to pick up my online order.

CSR Wench: OK. (takes printout) Do you know what it is for?

Eugaet: (Are you asking me if I know what I ordered?) Um...it's for a few guides.

CSR Wench: OK. (runs to the back)

Eugaet: (feigns interest in a credit card application, watches some BestBuy TV...)

CSR Wench: (comes back) I didn't see it in the back. Let me check the computer...

Eugaet: OK. (comtemplates what I'm going to pick up for lunch on the way back)

CSR Wench: Oh, you received an email stating the order was canceled because we didn't have it in stock.

Eugaet: I never received an email.

CSR Wench:
You received an email.

Eugaet: Oh...OK, thanks.

I'm still waiting for my cancelation email. :)

I didn't see any of the other not-pennied pennied guides except one Rogue Galaxy. That guide is currently on vacation visiting his newfound friends in another location in the store. I'll go back some day and see what it scans if it's still there.

[quote name='vahn401']Dropped Today

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter 2 (8288729)
Shadowrun (8380815)
Shadowrun (8367787)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (8030043)
Rogue Galaxy (8258477)
Codes & Cheats 2007 (8246962)
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl (8297489)

Then a few guides dropped down to 10 bucks

Pokemon Ranger:Road to diamond & pearl (8144821)
Elder Scrolls IV: Shimmering Isles (8313684)
Viva Pinata (8313728)
Super Paper Mario (8327385)

Sorry on the delay, had a crappy weekend.[/quote]Thanks for the update, Vahn. Sorry to hear about the weekend.

I guess I'll make a run to pick up Shivering Isles, VP and SPM at $9.99, especially if that price point seems to be last point before doom.

Guess I'll have to do some :pray: to find/trade for GRAW 2 & STALKER.

[quote name='guinaevere']best typo oftheday :cool:[/quote]Weird, I always thought it was Shivering Isles. I was trying to figure out where the typo was.

Unless you were talking about Vahn, cause it is Shivering. ;)

[quote name='guinaevere']best typo oftheday :cool:[/quote]It's not a typo. :roll:

[quote name='botticus']Weird, I always thought it was Shivering Isles. I was trying to figure out where the typo was.[/quote]It's not Shimmering Isles, it's Shivering Isles. No typo here, move along, nothing to see.

This sounds like Blockbuster's current methos of pulling guides, then months later (after all stores have confirmed not having any in stock), they penny it out in the system (why bother putting a penny pricetag at this point, I'll never know).

Hopefully this is only temporary. Given how unorganized Best Buy is, I don't expect this to continue indefinitely.

[quote name='shieryda']I wasn't able to find an August $5 off coupon for guides. Do we have one yet?[/quote]GamePro coupons are dead, it appears. People have just been using the expired ones. I had a hard time with those even when they were valid, so I haven't bothered.

My order for instore pickup is ready and i noticed this policy

Store Pickup Guarantee
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ready at the counter, or $10 off your order! When you reach the pickup counter, we guarantee you’ll have the product in your hands within 2 minutes 1 minute (and within 5 minutes for larger items such as Major Appliances or TVs over 20").**[/FONT]

so possibly $10 off a $.02 order would be fun

[quote name='Brian9824']My order for instore pickup is ready and i noticed this policy

Store Pickup Guarantee
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ready at the counter, or $10 off your order! When you reach the pickup counter, we guarantee you’ll have the product in your hands within 2 minutes 1 minute (and within 5 minutes for larger items such as Major Appliances or TVs over 20").**[/FONT]

so possibly $10 off a $.02 order would be fun[/quote]I'm pretty sure that would make it a $0.00 order, rather than a $9.98 refund. ;)

Just returned from two stores.
Found a few Ghost Recon 2 at the first store and some Shadowrun at the second.
At the first store, I actually read the e-mail list on the screen.
Media gal could not figure out why Ghost scanned full price, so she went with me to the register and had them change it to $.01.She said her instructions were to destroy them, not ship back....that store's inventory showed a few Shadowruns which we could not locate...she took my number and called and left a message they were waiting for me a lil bit ago but not sure If I will drive back...
At the second store, found Shadowruns on the Media cart, guy working in the dept. also volunteered he was to destroy them. I asked if I could have them and he said sure. He then walked me to the register to make sure they rang up correctly, only one Shadowrun's UPC did, so they just scanned that one for all copies.
Another staff member came to the register and I gave him one each of the Shadowrun and GRAW2 for his use.
Karma! but alas the process has changed....!Glad I went within the first hour of each store opening! otherwise...
Now to decide whether or not to drive back for the extra Shadowruns....

Tis indeed a sad day. However, I have found a slight silver lining. In my wanderings of the internets, I have stumbled accross a site that has people working on scanning guides (and cracking pdf versions). Now, sinice it is not right to discuss such things on CAG, I'll leave it at that, but searching for guides on torrent sites may lead some to the site I mention.

LOL I have found out that I have been talked about at length and BY NAME by various local EB/GS employees and their DM as 'the guide guy'. I feel so honored. hahahahahahaha

It strikes me as funny that I'm that 'notorious' or 'well known' as a devil customer.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Now, sinice it is not right to discuss such things on CAG...[/quote]Here, use these semaphore flags...

Picked up the Shadowrun guides I ordered online on the way home from work...grabbed a couple unwrapped GoWII guides for good measure. Not bad, but not great...great would have been if the other guides were ringing up a penny each as well. :)

Short little story today. I went to a far away Gamestop to return a game, and when I did, I looked at the strategy guides, where an Okami sat out in the front of the rack. I don't really read this thread much, but I'd thought I had seen it in before, so I called my sister to confirm it. Sure enough, it was, and I asked them to price check it. He told me it was marked down, and then I asked if there was some way I could obtain it; this was with me remembering some of this thread's horror stories of people ripping off covers and being denied. Ready to drop a pre-order on him, he reached for a little jar with a marker in it, and I was thinking it was about to get defaced or something - rather, he pulled up the marker, took a penny out, paid for the guide, gave it to me, and said to have a nice day. Long, pointless story, and yet my first pennied guide.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
It strikes me as funny that I'm that 'notorious' or 'well known' as a devil customer.[/quote]

It might be the black T-shirt you wear with that Thrill Kill logo on it. :D

I've only got penny guides at a particular Gamestop once, but I went back today and the guy who sold 'em to me last time said "So, we pulled the rest of the guides after you came. Guess you get the info faster than us."

:lol:

[quote name='Moses144']Short little story today. I went to a far away Gamestop to return a game, and when I did, I looked at the strategy guides, where an Okami sat out in the front of the rack. I don't really read this thread much, but I'd thought I had seen it in before, so I called my sister to confirm it. Sure enough, it was, and I asked them to price check it. He told me it was marked down, and then I asked if there was some way I could obtain it; this was with me remembering some of this thread's horror stories of people ripping off covers and being denied. Ready to drop a pre-order on him, he reached for a little jar with a marker in it, and I was thinking it was about to get defaced or something - rather, he pulled up the marker, took a penny out, paid for the guide, gave it to me, and said to have a nice day. Long, pointless story, and yet my first pennied guide.[/quote]

Congrats on an awesome first pennied guide. Hopefully this isn't the end of days for them.

So Rocko and Mr Thriller Killer are infamous around their GSs, huh? :p Soon they are gonna put up wanted posters with yous guys's faces on them.

Managed to pick up a few more guides today: **omitted to prevent further PMs**. Also picked up **omitted to prevent further PMs** at TRU.

Man I wish I would have tried to be greedier, though. They had almost every guide from the last 2 or 3 drops sitting out at that EBGS. Must have accidentally reshelved them.

EDIT: and as a special bonus I found a new copy of Shining Force for GBA. Only $14.99 if you can find it btw.

EDIT2: I hadn't meant to illicit responses on a trade for any of the above, but in any event the only guide I wanted to trade out is now gone.

[quote name='fairtrade']Managed to pick up a few more guides today...TotA.[/quote]Prepare to be very popular, very quickly...unless you plan to keep that for yourself. ;)

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']It might be the black T-shirt you wear with that Thrill Kill logo on it. :D[/quote]

LOL I've only thought of doing that, but I've thought even more about putting a slogan like 'Gamestop Sucks' and going into their stores with it on. :whistle2:X That would go over well, no? lol

[quote name='Moses144']Short little story today. I went to a far away Gamestop to return a game, and when I did, I looked at the strategy guides, where an Okami sat out in the front of the rack. I don't really read this thread much, but I'd thought I had seen it in before, so I called my sister to confirm it. Sure enough, it was, and I asked them to price check it. He told me it was marked down, and then I asked if there was some way I could obtain it; this was with me remembering some of this thread's horror stories of people ripping off covers and being denied. Ready to drop a pre-order on him, he reached for a little jar with a marker in it, and I was thinking it was about to get defaced or something - rather, he pulled up the marker, took a penny out, paid for the guide, gave it to me, and said to have a nice day. Long, pointless story, and yet my first pennied guide.[/QUOTE]

That would have been a good first penny guide score if the guide was for Pokemon Ranger. That it was Okami instead is enough inspiration to keep on trying for those of us who've never/rarely scored at GS.

This day was so full of the highest highs and the lowest lows (penny guide-wise) that I feel like quoting Vince Lombardi... But I'm too tired. Fatigue makes cowards of us all.

Interesting pick up today myself...

Went into a GS on my way home, and saw the three guides that they were selling for $4.99 starting this weekend (Gears of War, WWE Smackdown vs Raw, and Spider-Man 3.)

Then, to what did my wandering eye did appear?

It was two sealed copies of the Limited Edition of Gears of War with the same $4.99 price tag on them.

I'm willing to bet that it shouldn't have been priced at $4.99 - who knows.

But I scooped those suckers up with a smile on my face, and now regret picking up the regular version of the GOW guide on Saturday.

Peace,
Orri~

[quote name='Orrimarrko']Interesting pick up today myself...

Went into a GS on my way home, and saw the three guides that they were selling for $4.99 starting this weekend (Gears of War, WWE Smackdown vs Raw, and Spider-Man 3.)

Then, to what did my wandering eye did appear?

It was two sealed copies of the Limited Edition of Gears of War with the same $4.99 price tag on them.

I'm willing to bet that it shouldn't have been priced at $4.99 - who knows.

But I scooped those suckers up with a smile on my face, and now regret picking up the regular version of the GOW guide on Saturday.

One copy of the LE GOW guide is for me. The other (and possibly the regular GOW guide) are for trade. CML if interested.

Peace,
Orri~[/QUOTE]

Very nice. I didn't even think to look at the LE guides to see if someone screwed up (might have to stop in one or two on the way home to see what's up).

[quote name='ozzymandd']I checked while picking up Bioshock. Gears LE is still 19.99.[/quote]

Ditto, looks like it was an error....

Had Viva Pinata and SPM (Prima) scanned at my local BB. Both came up full price ($16.99) Has anyone found these for $9.99?

I am certainly well known at my Gamestop. I've been there since the store opened and have survived past at least ten different managers. Many of them have been jerks, a few of them have been great (including the current one). They actually put guides on the side for me when they remember, they ask me about deals (since I almost always know before them), and they're just genuinely friendly, nice people.

I just paid full price for persona 3 with guide at GAmeStop (had credit from the extra 10 deal)-- worth while, since gthe P3 guide is already a rarity? went to 3 GS'es before i found one that had one left

In an exciting twist:

I went to pick up my Bioshock Pre-Order and there was a box on the counter, with a "Free with Pre-Order" sign on it. And in that box were a bunch of penny guides along with other stuff like a Jeanne D'Arc demo.

This is probably a HUGE YMMV, but besides the drop to $4.99 before $.01, this might be a way to score a few guides if more Gamestops start doing this.

You can always cancel the pre-order, and get them for less than $.01, but that would be unethical and I do not condone such actions.

[quote name='Number83']In an exciting twist:

I went to pick up my Bioshock Pre-Order and there was a box on the counter, with a "Free with Pre-Order" sign on it. And in that box were a bunch of penny guides along with other stuff like a Jeanne D'Arc demo.

This is probably a HUGE YMMV, but besides the drop to $4.99 before $.01, this might be a way to score a few guides if more Gamestops start doing this.

You can always cancel the pre-order, and get them for less than $.01, but that would be unethical and I do not condone such actions.[/QUOTE]

I'd preorder all my games there if they started doing that. Sadly, whoever made the decision to openly give away penny guides at this particular GS will probably be fired in short order.

[quote name='ozzymandd']I'd preorder all my games there if they started doing that. Sadly, whoever made the decision to openly give away penny guides at this particular GS will probably be fired in short order.[/quote]

Actually giving them away is less dangerous than selling them for .01. By giving them out, there are no records and the employee can claim they were destroyed. But those .01 sales on the receipts are a red flag.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I just paid full price for persona 3 with guide at GAmeStop (had credit from the extra 10 deal)-- worth while, since gthe P3 guide is already a rarity? went to 3 GS'es before i found one that had one left[/quote]

I don't think all GS's got the guide, for some reason. I was a GS and an EB inside a mall and noticed neither had the guide. Then I went to the GS outside the mall where I had P3 preordered and they had 2. So I got one but when I got home, i noticed there was a cut about 15 pages deep from the cover. So I tried to get it exchanged and the 2 GSs nearest to me didn't have any. And I went to ANOTHER Gs and finally got a good copy. I dunno, not having the guide at 4 out of 6 makes me think they all didn't get them. >_> Which pretty much means... yeah, they are getting rare.

[quote name='Chronis']I don't think all GS's got the guide, for some reason. I was a GS and an EB inside a mall and noticed neither had the guide. Then I went to the GS outside the mall where I had P3 preordered and they had 2. So I got one but when I got home, i noticed there was a cut about 15 pages deep from the cover. So I tried to get it exchanged and the 2 GSs nearest to me didn't have any. And I went to ANOTHER Gs and finally got a good copy. I dunno, not having the guide at 4 out of 6 makes me think they all didn't get them. >_> Which pretty much means... yeah, they are getting rare.[/quote]

Actually, it probably just means that the stores without them didn't get any preorders and probably based their guide purchasing for THOSE stores on the number(if any)of pre-orders they got for the game, since MANY stores won't bother stocking something unless they feel there's SOME market for it.

Either way, I wish the people at my local GS's would put penny guides up as a bonus for people making pre-orders, since the closest store to me that did that(for my Transformers preorder, which I later on cancelled) was about 50-60 miles away. I only just got back to that area for work about 2-3 weeks ago and cancelled the PO, even though the game had been out for a while.

I got the usual 'put it on some other pre order' shpeel, but unless there's a LE artbook or something else GOOD anymore, I'm not dropping another cent @ GS.

Well, unless you count the local dump store for PS1/N64/Genny titles, then maybe I'll drop a few bucks more.

[quote name='fairtrade']Managed to pick up a few more guides today: **omitted to prevent further PMs**. Also picked up **omitted to prevent further PMs** at TRU.

Man I wish I would have tried to be greedier, though. They had almost every guide from the last 2 or 3 drops sitting out at that EBGS. Must have accidentally reshelved them.

EDIT: and as a special bonus I found a new copy of Shining Force for GBA. Only $14.99 if you can find it btw.

EDIT2: I hadn't meant to illicit responses on a trade for any of the above, but in any event the only guide I wanted to trade out is now gone.[/quote]

LMFAO Fairtrade, welcome to the club. If you post sought after(RPG guides), people will lowball you all the live long day on here and get annoyed when you don't agree to trade for a common guide for 1-3 of your RPG ones.

Don't get me wrong though, if someone were to offer me the Silent Hill guide from Prima for 2 of my RPG guides, I'd take that deal in a second.

But, NO ONE on here who uses Ebay would EVER agree to that and if they would, I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them too.

Speaking of guides on trade lists, I've got plenty....anyone want some before I have a bonfire(empty threat, like me saying I was gonna chuck out 90-95% of my guides a while ago)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back