Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='haize']i havent bought a guide for a game since Super Mario 64, the internet is win. www.gamefaqs.com

Besides, its fun to figure out games like FO3, Oblivion, Fable 2 on your own, right!?[/QUOTE]

Hey. Get the fuck out.

[quote name='Japakneez']:lol: im pretty much refusing to start Fable 2 until i get a penny guide for it. Bestbuy is taunting me with their stock of these guides.[/QUOTE]

Dude, take it from everyone else here and play Fable without the guide. Sure there might be things here or there that would have been nice to know, but the game is really fun and you'll have a better experience by exploring the whole map. I think I sank 50 hours into it and only had to look up a few things.

idk if it should be here or discussion, buuut:

Stopped by BB yesterday to waste some time, and they had restocked the Madworld guides. When it first dropped, there were none to be found. Yesterday there were like 15, all tagged 17.99 in shrinkwrap. It still rang up for a penny, so it's not like they got a new version or something... Seemed odd.

[quote name='Zmonkay']idk if it should be here or discussion, buuut:

Stopped by BB yesterday to waste some time, and they had restocked the Madworld guides. When it first dropped, there were none to be found. Yesterday there were like 15, all tagged 17.99 in shrinkwrap. It still rang up for a penny, so it's not like they got a new version or something... Seemed odd.[/QUOTE]

New employees in electronics probably didn't know why they were in the back and put them back out on the sales floor. These were pennied out a couple months ago, well within the realm of employee turnover at BB.

I know TRU is more of a stickler for not selling pennied items so this is probably YMMV. I found some copies of Ultimate Spiderman guide and a bunch of feb-july 2007 issues of Nintendo Power for 1.90 each. They had big red clearance stickers so I'm guessing YMMV.

[quote name='outofthepark44']This might be a dumb question but why is the list of drops not being updated?[/QUOTE]

Because I'm a lazy ass and haven't managed to get to the local flea market to pick up the combination modem/router that'll work with my DSL and allow me to hook up BOTH my PC and my PS3?

As of now I only have my PS3 hooked up to my DSL and the PS3 has a character limit for messages, which would require me to delete somewhere around 4/5's of the second post JUST to post the 2-3 one guide drops that we've had recently.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because I'm a lazy ass and haven't managed to get to the local flea market to pick up the combination modem/router that'll work with my DSL and allow me to hook up BOTH my PC and my PS3?

As of now I only have my PS3 hooked up to my DSL and the PS3 has a character limit for messages, which would require me to delete somewhere around 4/5's of the second post JUST to post the 2-3 one guide drops that we've had recently.[/QUOTE]

Maybe an awesome mod who checks the thread regularly might be interested in editing it for you?

That's what I was going to suggest, but I haven't seen Shrike, Pooky or Gwen pop into the thread in a while. Well, I think Shrike popped in to delete a ton of off-topic posts, even though I have pretty much given up on people yapping about alot of off topic stuff in here. It happens in all of the deal threads and I even contribute to it in some of them, so why should I harp about the same thing happening here?

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Maybe an awesome mod who checks the thread regularly might be interested in editing it for you?[/QUOTE]Sorry, we don't have any of those.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's what I was going to suggest, but I haven't seen Shrike, Pooky or Gwen pop into the thread in a while. Well, I think Shrike popped in to delete a ton of off-topic posts, even though I have pretty much given up on people yapping about alot of off topic stuff in here. It happens in all of the deal threads and I even contribute to it in some of them, so why should I harp about the same thing happening here?[/QUOTE]PM's always work, you know. ;)

Shoot me a PM with the info and I'll get it added into the OP.

[quote name='shrike4242']Sorry, we don't have any of those.

PM's always work, you know. ;)

Shoot me a PM with the info and I'll get it added into the OP.[/QUOTE]

PM's work weird on the PS3. I basically have to go into someone's CAG profile and then send a PM from there versus just getting the dropdown list from clicking on their CAG name.

Hopefully though someone has what dropped at Best Buy, Gamestop and I think Gamecrazy, since I'm unsure of the date(s) and actually the MGS 4 softcover guide must've been a 'stealth' drop @ BB so I doubt anyone has a concrete date on that.

Speaking of MGS4, I haven't even seen the hardcover @ BB as of late and I don't think IT dropped either, but it's been MIA from all three BB stores I hit on occasion. Another stealth drop perhaps?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']PM's work weird on the PS3. I basically have to go into someone's CAG profile and then send a PM from there versus just getting the dropdown list from clicking on their CAG name.

Hopefully though someone has what dropped at Best Buy, Gamestop and I think Gamecrazy, since I'm unsure of the date(s) and actually the MGS 4 softcover guide must've been a 'stealth' drop @ BB so I doubt anyone has a concrete date on that.

Speaking of MGS4, I haven't even seen the hardcover @ BB as of late and I don't think IT dropped either, but it's been MIA from all three BB stores I hit on occasion. Another stealth drop perhaps?[/QUOTE]

MGS4 CE is already on the first post - 6/1 BB drop

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Speaking of MGS4, I haven't even seen the hardcover @ BB as of late and I don't think IT dropped either, but it's been MIA from all three BB stores I hit on occasion. Another stealth drop perhaps?[/QUOTE]

It dropped in June.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sorry bout that. I thought it dropped but I wasn't 100% sure.[/QUOTE]

Gah, c'mon guy! There's this awesome dude that (for a while at least) updated the second post with all the drop info. Just READ, for shit's sake. People like you who are too fucking lazy to read the first couple posts just piss me off:bomb:... :lol::D

LOL ZMonkay. Hopefully that same guy will be updating the second post again sometime soon and while he's updating that he won't forget to keep updating the Wiki post in the THIRD post as well.

This is the first time I've ever posted information, but here we go.

Most Blockbusters have been given a list of Guides to destroy. By destroy, it means pull off the floor and throw out. Go to your local blockbusters and ask if you can have any of the guides. Most Blockbusters are nice about it.

The only ones I remember off the top of my head are (and these are all the clearanced $10 ones);

Street Fighter IV
MGS4 (regular edition)
Star Wars The force Unleashed
Madden 09
MK vs DC Universe

I'm not sure if they are pennied in their system so don't go grab them and try buying them. I'll try to get more info tomorrow night, when I work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if I hit up the one store where I know the manager, if she'll give me a MGS 4 guide. I doubt it, since she's the manager there, but you never know.

Thanks for the heads up, DarkRider23.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wonder if I hit up the one store where I know the manager, if she'll give me a MGS 4 guide. I doubt it, since she's the manager there, but you never know.

Thanks for the heads up, DarkRider23.[/QUOTE]

If you're a "big" spender at that store. They'll more than likly give you the guide. Or if you still see the guides, rent a several movies along with them, then ask.

But, are these stores franchise or the other?

[quote name='Dhuk']If you're a "big" spender at that store. They'll more than likly give you the guide. Or if you still see the guides, rent a several movies along with them, then ask.

But, are these stores franchise or the other?[/QUOTE]

I have no clue if they're franchise or corporate owned. As for me being a 'big spender', the only time I've ever done that is when I was still flipping games to Blockbuster and using the cheap credit from doing so to buy stuff I wanted.

If I gotta use real cash, I'll buy a Kit Kat and hope they gimme a guide for the hell of it. If not, I can always trade for one on here, since I have only the real trade fodder guides left now(RPG, hardcover ones).

went by a non franchise store earlier today and spoke to the manager...they looked through all corp e-mails and found no instruction to destroy the mentioned titles, still show a status of $10 each...but I am tempted to grab Fallout 3 guide for $12.50...

[quote name='MootPoon817']Does anyone know if Elder Scrolls IV GOTY Guide is still a penny at best buy?[/QUOTE]

Once a guide pennies, it usually never goes up in price, unless they release another new version(Oblivion has had 5-6 I think)with more content in it.

I've got:

2x Prince of Persia
2x The Force Unleashed
2x Resistance 2
1x Gears 2
1x Dead Space
1x Far Cry 2
1x Pokemon Ranger

I'm looking for Fallout 3, Fable 2, Mass Effect and Oblivion GOTY

P.S. The guides still have the front covers, but the backs are ripped off.

[quote name='dallascowboys']I've got:

2x Prince of Persia
2x The Force Unleashed
2x Resistance 2
1x Gears 2
1x Dead Space
1x Far Cry 2
1x Pokemon Ranger

P.S. The guides still have the front covers, but the backs are ripped off.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get these guides from?

2x Prince of Persia
2x The Force Unleashed
2x Resistance 2
1x Gears 2
1x Dead Space
1x Far Cry 2
1x Pokemon Ranger

P.S. The guides still have the front covers, but the backs are ripped off.[/QUOTE]

Please repost this in the GUIDE TRADE THREAD and DELETE THIS POST!!! Thanks.

2x Prince of Persia
2x The Force Unleashed
2x Resistance 2
1x Gears 2
1x Dead Space
1x Far Cry 2
1x Pokemon Ranger

I don't think anyone is going to trade a guide thats ripped/missing it's back cover. I found a BB that did the same thing. And I just passed.

[quote name='rywateska']Anyone have luck finding something at best buy today?[/QUOTE]

*looks for posts above mentioning any guide deals at Best Buy today*

Well, I guess not...

Went to the new BBY in West Covina, CA and picked up Super Mario Galaxy soft cover and Sims 2 Apartment Life guides with no hassle from employees. Pretty good.

Once a guide is pennied for more than a week or so is it essentially useless to try to find the guide at some of these stores? Ex. I would be interested in picking up a pennied Mass Effect guide but it pennied out months ago. Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a noob question.

[quote name='dude101589']Once a guide is pennied for more than a week or so is it essentially useless to try to find the guide at some of these stores? Ex. I would be interested in picking up a pennied Mass Effect guide but it pennied out months ago. Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a noob question.[/QUOTE]

From my experience:
Gamestop: very unlikely - they often pull guides the same day - but they do miss some, and if they do it could stay around for a week or more.

Best Buy: in the past, it wasn't unusual to see guides weeks after they had been pennied. That's changed. For one thing, reports here suggest many stores have become much more aggressive about pulling guides at the time they are pennied (although that hasn't been my experience).

However, since the last drop, every BB I visited has organized their guide section into a limited number of relatively recent guides, facing up. Before, many of them kept their guides with spines facing out, and there were a lot more guides and a lot more older titles. I'm waiting for the next drop - if there is one - to see how it will play out.

[quote name='perdition(troy']you'd have better luck getting gamestop to pricematch a grocery store.[/QUOTE]

I'd be very, very scared if Gamestop price matched a grocery store, just going by the condition of their used stuff, which they now call 'pre-owned'(they had clerks restickering EVERY fuckin' used game with a sticker that says 'pre-owned' on it yesterday at two GS stores I hit).

Then again, some people 'test play'(eat a couple) a bag of grapes before buying. I've seen it done at multiple stores over the years. :whistle2:X

Second post is FINALLY updated with the one guide drops from both Best Buy and Gamestop from the end of July.

Sorry bout the delay everyone, but as I said before in the thread, I was posting from my PS3 and that would've required me to delete quite a bit of the second post to update.

If I missed anything from either store that dropped, please don't hesitate to mention it in here(or a PM). Please post it in RED if at all possible, so it's hard to miss.

I was overjoyed when I saw 2 copies of Star Ocean: First Departure sitting on the rotating rack at the one GS last night. However, once the one clerk went to ring them up, he asked the one other employee, who said I could have them for free.....as soon as they rip the front covers off. :bomb:

Oh well....one immaculate copy out of three I have isn't bad, I suppose.

Of course, RPG guides don't trade too well when they're missing covers.

[quote name='dude101589']Once a guide is pennied for more than a week or so is it essentially useless to try to find the guide at some of these stores? Ex. I would be interested in picking up a pennied Mass Effect guide but it pennied out months ago. Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a noob question.[/QUOTE]

Its all luck of the draw. I found a pile of Disgaea 3 and Compilation guides at a GameStop in Georgia a month after they pennied while out on a road trip; another road trip in early July had me at a Best Buy with Mario Kart Wii and SSBB guides in stock, along with some other, older ones. You really never know unless you look.

But as always, never, ever, ever call ahead, or ask the employees, "Hurr what's a penny here?"

^^unless you fine low working, cool employees

at best buy, there are two guys that I always ask cause they arent high up in the store and don't care at all, so they just tell me and help me find them.
:D

[quote name='hotrocks']^^unless you fine low working, cool employees

at best buy, there are two guys that I always ask cause they arent high up in the store and don't care at all, so they just tell me and help me find them.
:D[/QUOTE]

That's the rare exception, hardly the rule.

At some point since the last time I updated my list (July 21) the following guide has disappeared from the Gamestop website. This usually means it has pennied out. I don't think I've seen one at any of the stores near me to check it though:

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 Official Strategy Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back