Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, thanks to all those who checked on guide prices.

If anyone is having trouble finding the Spore:GA guide, it is mini-sized like the Pikmin guide. I almost missed one blending in with the PC games.

Also, I echo Azarius' comments: Double check every guide in a stack (you should be doing this anyway). I got 1 FO3 regular guide hidden in a stack of GOTYs. Later found the CE hidden in a stack of GOTYCEs.

I got all the guides from my stores before they strike.

Didn't get any problems from the cashiers, and one guy behind me waiting in line was shocked at the prices and ran out to grab some guides.

lol

I love that the motto of this thread is "grab dem shitz," and then we criticize hoarders. This is a contradiction, is it not? Ever since March when BB started cracking down on penny guides it seems like when any one person went in and bought 5 guides BB would just go and pull all of the rest so no one got them, hence "grab dem shitz." I'd rather a CAG hoarder make a couple bucks off these guides and someone actually use them than have them thrown away.

[quote name='ackbar7']I love that the motto of this thread is "grab dem shitz," and then we criticize hoarders. This is a contradiction, is it not? Ever since March when BB started cracking down on penny guides it seems like when any one person went in and bought 5 guides BB would just go and pull all of the rest so no one got them, hence "grab dem shitz." I'd rather a CAG hoarder make a couple bucks off these guides and someone actually use them than have them thrown away.[/QUOTE]

the problem with that idea is that some stores don't pull the guides and you just end up screwing the next CAG walking into the stores. I'd rather risk Best Buy pulling them then to buy up the whole store. Different mentalities I guess.

Dammit why in the hell did someone post this on SD??

Perhaps it was all the bragging posts?

Why not just keep it simple in the future? (Ok now future drops are a bit more iffy .... be prepared for another BB crackdown (at least) thanks to the SD post)

After confirmation, only post new info...and thank the Ops via pms...keep trade requests/offers in the trading thread....

IMO all the bragging posts got a new SDer all excited so he/she stupidly posted (YES it was Stupid not ignorant)

[quote name='donut']Dammit why in the hell did someone post this on SD??

Perhaps it was all the bragging posts?

Why not just keep it simple in the future? (Ok now future drops are a bit more iffy .... be prepared for another BB crackdown (at least) thanks to the SD post)

After confirmation, only post new info...and thank the Ops via pms...keep trade requests/offers in the trading thread....

IMO all the bragging posts got a new SDer all excited so he/she stupidly posted (YES it was Stupid not ignorant)[/QUOTE]
This is a little off base I think. I got no love for SD but most of this info was available on BB's site for hours and hours yesterday. If this is anyone's fault it is BB and it is their own mistake that will probably lead to a crack down in the future.

[quote name='ackbar7']This is a little off base I think. I got no love for SD but most of this info was available on BB's site for hours and hours yesterday. If this is anyone's fault it is BB and it is their own mistake that will probably lead to a crack down in the future.[/QUOTE]

My money's on the Ops info came from here.... but I respect your optimism on this idea ...

Tried to save 47 guides from the trash today.

Walked in and picked up 23 Fallout 3's, 12 Street Fighter 4's, and 12 COD: WaW but the cashier stopped me and called the manager over. He said I could only take 3 of each game so sorry guys these ones are going to my brother, his friend, and I, otherwise I would of shipped them to you guys for only shipping.

At GS Bioshock didn't ring up for a penny and my friend who is the manager said it was like the 360 copy only or some weird shit. Thought I would give a heads up.

[quote name='polishpride212']The website says my BBY has the manuals in stock. Does that mean the missing guides were pulled or bought out?[/QUOTE]

I don't see where you're looking. Bestbuy.com seems to have all the most recent drops pulled from their website. If someone it's orderable, then try to do it for instore pickup. If they have them great, if not, then Bestbuy.com will ship them to you for free.

[quote name='hellmutt']I don't see where you're looking. Bestbuy.com seems to have all the most recent drops pulled from their website. If someone it's orderable, then try to do it for instore pickup. If they have them great, if not, then Bestbuy.com will ship them to you for free.[/QUOTE]
Never mind. The Fallout 3 guide I was looking at was the GotY CE not the regular edition CE.

For you south SF BA people, when to Milpitas and Santana Row yesterday. Picked up two of each between the two stores. Left lots except for Metroid Trilogy which there was only two of at the Santana Row location. There were tons of FO3 there.

Went to Sunnyvale at lunch today, but didn't have much left. As I recall, they had Fossil Fighters, Transformers, NCAA 09, a leftover Godfather 2 and one Indiana Jones which I picked up one of each.

So no problems at any of the stores so far. One chick even said, whatta deal.

EDIT: Just got back from Milpitas. It got cleaned out. Had to assume they pulled them. So don't bother going.

[quote name='freshzen']Thanks for being incorrect![/QUOTE]

You can thank dfriday, who posted "They did have a copy of Fallout 3 CE but it rang up full price $34.99."

My summary of what I read (not statement of fact) was correct at the time. Information has a time value. But why bother, it's like trying to educate a dining room table (gotta love Barney Frank; even a broken clock is right sometimes).

I got lucky today and I stopped a manager type in the media department after drooling over the guide rack, on which they still had about 20+ copies of the softcover Fallout 3 guide.

I asked him if something rings up on clearance, will they allow the sale? I repeatedly asked him, including 'even if it's a stupidly low price?' and he agreed.

So with that out of the way, I went up to the register and said 'so n so said it was ok, these are going to ring up on clearance'.

The clerk didn't even have to call for the manager I spoke with since he must've told everyone of them that it was ok, but the one other cashier said they were 'allowing me to get those but it was a price error'.:roll:

Anyway, I walked out with 11 guides but left behind about 5-7 copies of the Street Fighter IV guide and approximately 12-20 copies of the softcover Fallout 3 guide. They had a lone copy of the Indiana Jones guide, as well as Fossil Fighters and the Transformers game guide, but I didn't pick those up.

I grabbed:

Call Of Duty: World At War x1
Fallout 3(softcover) x2
Gears Of War 2(calendar edition, softcover) x1
Ghostbusters x1(covers are creased here n there)
Infamous x1
Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess($14.99 sticker, white cover version)
Star Ocean: Last Hope x1
Street Fighter IV x3

Not a bad haul and I was shocked to see ANY left in stock a whole day after the drop happened. Here's to hoping they're as lenient like this next time too.

Two stores I went to today had 150+ Fallout 3 guides each. Kinda makes me wonder what they would say if I tried to buy them all.

IATCG, when you say "Star Oean Last Hope" do you mean "The Last hope"? I just want to make sure I get the right one because all of those Star Ocean games on 360 have so many different subtitles. XD

[quote name='stoned99']I certainly read the part where he takes a shopping cart and clears out the store. And what do you think is happening, do you think he's having a CAG open house where you show up to grab a guide or two. I doubt it, he's just a greedy SOB who's justifying his actions by pretending to be CAG friendly.

CAG friendly folk take what they need, not everything they can grab.[/QUOTE]

Listen bud, you can read this any way you want. I dont want a big thanks or anyone to think Im a saint. Im just using the best judgement. Like I said Ive doing this for years and I know that 3/4 of my BB pull them the same time of day each month. So Im using that knowledge and decided I should buy them all. You can think Im a jerk, I dont care. But I know my intention is to make sure they dont get pulled by employees and thrown out. Whether I can help out locals or not, Id rather them be in my hands than in the trash. I guess we agree to disagree here.

I think youre just a jealous trolling prick. Im good guy and I justify my actions and I think its nice that others at least agree with me here.

If I was so greedy I wouldnt have given all the Fallout 3s, all the Little Big Planets and all the Star Oceans to local Cags today that PMed.

Id rip into you more but its not worth the time.

I hit the motherload today all at one Best Buy.
I got:

Call Of Duty: World At War

Cheat Code Overload 2009
Fallout 3 (softcover) (Regular NOT Game of The Year Edition)
Fossil Fighters
Gears of War 2
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Little Big Planet
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
NCAA Football 10
Spore(softcover)
Star Ocean: Last Hope
Street Fighter IV
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
UFC 2009 Undisputed
Wolfenstein

Resident Evil 5 - Hardcover

[quote name='Bezerker']Two stores I went to today had 150+ Fallout 3 guides each. Kinda makes me wonder what they would say if I tried to buy them all.

IATCG, when you say "Star Oean Last Hope" do you mean "The Last hope"? I just want to make sure I get the right one because all of those Star Ocean games on 360 have so many different subtitles. XD[/QUOTE]

OK. I gotta admit that I deserved that ribbing for wanting people to clarify which SO guide dropped, but since I don't follow the series I didn't know what the subtitle of the 'one for 360'(as some reported it) was.

As for buying 150+ Fallout 3 guides, if they let you get away with other guides from your BB stores then why not try for all of them if they're just going to be dumpstered anyway? Although, if you have a car with poor shocks already, it would be dragging on the ground from trying to grab 150.:D

BTW, take this for what it might be, but I didn't see any WOW: Wrath Of Lich King guides on the shelves at the BB I went to earlier tonight. So, maybe that one dropped too?

I'm not going to go into the full details of what I got, but I'll summmarize:
- I didn't get any Transfomers guides (didn't see any, didn't really care).
- I didn't realize WaW dropped or I'd have gotten a few of those.
- Not counting the soda and tax, I spent 61 cents.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

BTW, take this for what it might be, but I didn't see any WOW: Wrath Of Lich King guides on the shelves at the BB I went to earlier tonight. So, maybe that one dropped too?[/QUOTE]

You know what? I noticed the same thing at 3 stores. They used to have 30-40 of them at each store.

[quote name='oakafanforlife']Does anyone have any extra FO3 or Star Ocean guides I can trade with? I have
SFIV
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Infamous
that I can trade you for. PM me[/QUOTE]

Check the first page for the link to the trade thread. I have been able to trade here several times to get what I've needed.

Thanks to everyone for keeping up on this thread. My wife was able to score me some cool guides while I was working. This was the first time in several drops that my one and only local BB did not pull the guides. There was not much to be had so my wife pretty much cleaned them out with $.33.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
BTW, take this for what it might be, but I didn't see any WOW: Wrath Of Lich King guides on the shelves at the BB I went to earlier tonight. So, maybe that one dropped too?[/QUOTE]

They moved those to sit with the PC games at my store.

I got email confirmation, went to the store & they didn't have the Wolfenstein guides. I've re-read my email & don't see any mention of compensation for this type of thing. Do I just call the general 800/888 phone number for Customer Service? Now that the guides are no longer listed online I'm not sure what to do here.

I did get lucky at a different store though. Lucked into quite a few copies of Fallout 3 & Star Ocean The Last Hope :)

[quote name='Matsuura-kun']They moved those to sit with the PC games at my store.[/QUOTE]

You know it was really weird, we had litch king guides in the console area, and fossil fighters and little big planet guides in the pc area.

[quote name='zcg']i got email confirmation, went to the store & they didn't have the wolfenstein guides. I've re-read my email & don't see any mention of compensation for this type of thing. Do i just call the general 800/888 phone number for customer service? Now that the guides are no longer listed online i'm not sure what to do here.

[/quote]

let it go. is it a bit of a bummer? sure. but call Customer Service and bring more attention to an item that was to be discarded?...

[quote name='ZCG']I got email confirmation, went to the store & they didn't have the Wolfenstein guides. I've re-read my email & don't see any mention of compensation for this type of thing. Do I just call the general 800/888 phone number for Customer Service? Now that the guides are no longer listed online I'm not sure what to do here.

I did get lucky at a different store though. Lucked into quite a few copies of Fallout 3 & Star Ocean The Last Hope :)[/QUOTE]

Actually, you should be able to call bestbuy.com customer service and have them ship it to you for free. I just did that today, although the circumstance was slightly different; in my case the store reported 'item not found' back instead of 'order is ready for pickup'. However, I'd guess the same policy still applies.

[quote name='Zeldafanatic15']I haven't seen anything about them dropping. My BB still has them, along with the Atlus, which I have been eyeing up for awhile, waiting for it to drop.[/QUOTE]

I did check the atlus (HC) and those did not drop at BB. I wasn't sure if it had a specificname, so I did not post it in my non pennied items.

One of my BB.com orders shipped, but it was only one guide. My other order of 5 is still processing. Hope it makes it through because I couldn't find a SF4 to save my life.

Man I love this thread. Thanks as always guys. Shoot...I would have picked up a couple of Street Fighter IV guides, for a penny, I'd say it would have been worth it.

I hit up the new Best Buy at the ghetto Fox Hills Mall in Culver City - don't waste your time; since it's a brand new store they don't have anything over a month old. None of the guides were there. I left plenty of just about everything at the other Culver City store on Washington.

Only could find Fossil fighters in North Haven CT. Looks like all other guides may have been pulled this guide was in the isle with the games and not the end cap the guides were on.

[quote name='iluvmywife']Check the first page for the link to the trade thread. I have been able to trade here several times to get what I've needed[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, I'll head there now.

Got Fallout (one w/out extra DLC) guide and GOW2 guides today, saw fossil fighters, UFC, and Metroid, passed on others. Less than a red nickel bickle.

Make sure you check your PC sections for the Fallout guide. That's where I found it! Some newbies don't think of checking there as well.

My first order shipped (I placed 2 orders since when I placed the first order, only some of the guides were coming up as a penny and ordered the others when they finally showed as being a penny).

[quote name='bob330i']For you south SF BA people, when to Milpitas and Santana Row yesterday. Picked up two of each between the two stores. Left lots except for Metroid Trilogy which there was only two of at the Santana Row location. There were tons of FO3 there.

Went to Sunnyvale at lunch today, but didn't have much left. As I recall, they had Fossil Fighters, Transformers, NCAA 09, a leftover Godfather 2 and one Indiana Jones which I picked up one of each.

So no problems at any of the stores so far. One chick even said, whatta deal.

EDIT: Just got back from Milpitas. It got cleaned out. Had to assume they pulled them. So don't bother going.[/QUOTE]

I went to the one in Mountain View, and not much at that store either...however East Palo Alto had tons of guides, including at least 10 Fallout 3 guides, and a few older drops. Milpitas usually has the guides for weeks, but not this time I guess. The San Jose location (not Santana Row) looked like everything was pulled.

[quote name='Matsuura-kun']They moved those to sit with the PC games at my store.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here both of my local stores have moved those to the PC section as well.

Woo hoo, my order just shipped. Except it said TR:Underworld was back ordered and expected to ship in 2 weeks. Really? I don't think I expect that to happen.

[quote name='tumbenhaur']including at least 10 Fallout 3 guides[/QUOTE]

But were they pre-GOTY guides? I haven't seen quantities like that of any of the FO3 non-GOTY guides in any of the stores I visited in the last 2 days. With one or two exceptions, they've all been replaced by the GOTY versions (which are full price AFAIK) that look very similar if you don't read the text.

to anyone that works or has previously worked at best buy, what does code 1 mean? I brought 3 fear 2 guides upfront and the lady whispered code 1 on the radio.

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']to anyone that works or has previously worked at best buy, what does code 1 mean? I brought 3 fear 2 guides upfront and the lady whispered code 1 on the radio.[/QUOTE]It's the secret code to tell the manager-on-duty to come up and penny guide block you. :shock:

Actually, I have no idea. I'll have to ask at my local BB the next time I go in there.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's the secret code to tell the manager-on-duty to come up and penny guide block you. :shock:

Actually, I have no idea. I'll have to ask at my local BB the next time I go in there.[/QUOTE]
Most likely the code to pull pennied out items. At Kmart the code we used was "605 to (whatever department items were from and register number)."

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']to anyone that works or has previously worked at best buy, what does code 1 mean? I brought 3 fear 2 guides upfront and the lady whispered code 1 on the radio.[/QUOTE]

They thought you were cute and calling up their friends to check you out. :)

[quote name='180husher']One of my BB.com orders shipped, but it was only one guide. My other order of 5 is still processing. Hope it makes it through because I couldn't find a SF4 to save my life.[/QUOTE]

My order shipped yesterday too Hustler but UPS still doesn't recognize the tracking info. Are you having this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back