Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']If BB were smart, they'd just allow a -.01 in the system. that way no guides would ever be sold.[/QUOTE]

Or it would just take a penny off the total when you buy a soda.

Most logical answer would be a new flag in database for "Can be sold?". When guides penny, change it to no and set up registers to not allow sales of items set to No. Would work for other things, like before street date stuff.

[quote name='Dahk']or $9999999999[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's what the Warhammer Online guide came up when the one clerk scanned one of those paper stickers with the guides price that was on the front cover. It was minus more than a few decimal points there($9,999.99), but still I just kind of laughed when the price came up as such. It also brought up a 'DO NOT USE' warning for that UPC.

That reminds me of the God Of War 2 normal edition guide that was coming up as a penny from day one in the system when it was on the shelf at BB. They put a UPC sticker over the barcode to make it ring up MSRP and I don't think that the restickered version ever actually pennied.

Was at my local Best Buy today (where I got most of this last drop) with my wife getting her a CD, so I figure I'd check to see what they had left for guides. Mostly a handful of FarCry 2, Prince of Persia and Warhammer Online, but then I saw one lone Final Fantasy Dissidia that I swear was not there during the drop week. Second time something like this has happened; found a lone TMNT Smash Up last week that was not there before. I guess they must have just been in the back, or maybe someone hid them/left them somewhere else in the store?

[quote name='JediJames2']Was at my local Best Buy today (where I got most of this last drop) with my wife getting her a CD, so I figure I'd check to see what they had left for guides. Mostly a handful of FarCry 2, Prince of Persia and Warhammer Online, but then I saw one lone Final Fantasy Dissidia that I swear was not there during the drop week. Second time something like this has happened; found a lone TMNT Smash Up last week that was not there before. I guess they must have just been in the back, or maybe someone hid them/left them somewhere else in the store?[/QUOTE]

I think what happens is they leave overstock or maybe even a return in the back stockroom. Someone probably was just clearing up the back and found it and put in on the floor.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I looked at the OP and I didnt see anywhere the time of the week/month the gudies get a price drop ?[/QUOTE]

Typically for Gamestop it's somewhere around Weds/Thurs and they've done publisher specific drops before(Prima, Brady), where one publisher's guides will drop one day and the other drops the next.

[quote name='microchip2378']The Halo 3 guide pennied at Gamestop yesterday. My local Gamestop had like 50 of them.......[/QUOTE]

Any other known drops, or was that the only one?

Now I've seen it all. People in the reduced guide thread theorizing ways for BB to enhance their efficiency at getting guides pulled. :wall:

[quote name='neocisco']Now I've seen it all. People in the reduced guide thread theorizing ways for BB to enhance their efficiency at getting guides pulled. :wall:[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you, is it really that surprising with some of the people in this thread? I would like to have a strategy guide for a penny as much as the next guy, but there are a lot of people who genuinely obsess over it to a really weird level. There are people in here who said they have stayed up all night refreshing the guide page at bestbuy.com to see which guides have disappeared, those who wait outside of a Best Buy before they open, those that dig around in dumpsters..........I mean, that's really, really weird. All for something that most of us probably don't really need, anyway. If I'm in a store and they happen to have them and are willing to sell them for a penny, I'll get one, but I have other things to do than map out a whole plan of attack to get a penny guide.

So it shouldn't be surprising that some people are practically writing college dissertations on how Best Buy can keep penny guides from being sold.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']
So it shouldn't be surprising that some people are practically writing college dissertations on how Best Buy can keep penny guides from being sold.[/QUOTE]

Most college dissertations are longer than a paragraph. :booty:

Kidding aside, I hear where you're coming from. But this is the internet. And every successful website, such as CAG, is built on obsession. Folks who claim to be "casual", such as yourself, are rarely ever responsible for their success. So acting surprised or wagging a finger is disingenuous at best. :)

Plus, considering that this whole site is about saving a few bucks, I daresay the penny guides are the largest consistent "profit margin" on the entire CAG spectrum. Yeah, we don't necessarily need them, but the same can be said for tons of games we all buy and never play. Or multiples we pick up. If you look just at purchase vs retail cost, we make a killing on these. The typical $20 guide is being purchased at 99.95% off. And the regulars here have gotten that deal dozens, if not hundreds, of times. :D

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']While I agree with you, is it really that surprising with some of the people in this thread? I would like to have a strategy guide for a penny as much as the next guy, but there are a lot of people who genuinely obsess over it to a really weird level. There are people in here who said they have stayed up all night refreshing the guide page at bestbuy.com to see which guides have disappeared, those who wait outside of a Best Buy before they open, those that dig around in dumpsters..........I mean, that's really, really weird. All for something that most of us probably don't really need, anyway. If I'm in a store and they happen to have them and are willing to sell them for a penny, I'll get one, but I have other things to do than map out a whole plan of attack to get a penny guide.

So it shouldn't be surprising that some people are practically writing college dissertations on how Best Buy can keep penny guides from being sold.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have waited outside of Best Buy on a presumed drop day(like many others)to try and grab some guides when they first open for the day. I know that if I don't, chances are they will be GONE by the time I get there in the afternoon.

As for dumpster diving them, I have never done that, but I would consider it for the 'better' guides(hardcovers, RPG guides, etc). Though if it were for 20 copies of the latest Madden guide, HELL NO. Moreover, two of the GS stores around here are in shopping centers with not-so-dd'ing friendly neighboring businesses(one is near a tattoo shop, the other near a Subway and another restaurant).

Also, as for dd'ing being 'weird', there is a whole site dedicated to people who use it like many people use Ebay to make their livings(dumpsterworld). Some of what businesses throw away as 'trash' is just sickening due to the sheer volume of thoughtless waste(whole bagloads of bagels/bread that could feed the homeless for weeks, for one).:roll:

[quote name='neocisco']Now I've seen it all. People in the reduced guide thread theorizing ways for BB to enhance their efficiency at getting guides pulled. :wall:[/QUOTE]

If we're going to beat the enemy, we must think like the enemy.

Speaking of bagels, I gave a "homeless" guy one while waiting in the car @ a stoplight today. I use the word homeless like that because hell if I know he isn't some crackhead or drunk. Much less chance of him selling a bagel for alcohol, crack, or w/e other drugs than just simply using money people give him to throw it away. I always take guys like that w/ a grain of salt. It's always difficult to know if they are telling the truth or not. I usually go by my gut instinct.

As to dumpster diving...my wife is from MI & had/has some hippie friends (my wife isn't thankfully...@ least not like her friends are) that would, and still might, dumpster dive for pizzas & groceries. A lot of them did it until some of them got really sick off of shitty Little Ceasar's Pizza & Hostess Twinkies. Little Caesar's will rip your stomach apart as it is sometimes. One of her friends is even so damn frugal that she'll have money to buy herself groceries, but for some odd reason will still go w/ out food or dumpster dive it to save money. That makes no damn sense @ all! But hey w/e ....

/end dirty hippy rant

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Also, as for dd'ing being 'weird', there is a whole site dedicated to people who use it like many people use Ebay to make their livings(dumpsterworld). Some of what businesses throw away as 'trash' is just sickening due to the sheer volume of thoughtless waste(whole bagloads of bagels/bread that could feed the homeless for weeks, for one).:roll:[/QUOTE]Restaurants throw food away instead of giving to homeless due to legal reasons, unfortunately.

If anyone's interested, the Bakugan guide is $5 this week at Best Buy. A decent deal for a guide that will probably flood the tradelists when it drops.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Restaurants throw food away instead of giving to homeless due to legal reasons, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more alongthe lines of grocery stores tossing out day old stuff like bagels and the like instead of selling it for a reduced price. It still makes NO sense to me to toss out perfectly good food instead of giving it to people who could use it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was thinking more alongthe lines of grocery stores tossing out day old stuff like bagels and the like instead of selling it for a reduced price. It still makes NO sense to me to toss out perfectly good food instead of giving it to people who could use it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had a friend who worked at Panera Bread, and one day, he brought a couple of HUGE trashbags loaded with bagels, bread loafs, muffins, and other baked goods (they filled his trunk and back seat), and they were all going to be disposed of that night (perfectly good stuff), because they were more than x days old. We all enjoyed it, and they were still fresh (not even stale like you find with grocery stores).

CRAZY!

Back to guides: I enjoy penny guides, and have been lucky to have never been denied yet! :) But, I always get young cashiers and talk to them while checking out. I've had a couple of managers called, but they've always just let it pass. In fact, even at the ones where the managers were called, they never went and pulled the excess guides! :eek: I normally don't go out the day of drop, very often, though. I will normally hit up stores much later in the week! Although, when DA:O or Fallout 3 GOTY CE's drop, I may be there on day one! :D

[quote name='Shan82']Although, when DA:O or Fallout 3 GOTY CE's drop, I may be there on day one! :D[/QUOTE]

Me too. Especially since I have this perfectly sealed copy of FO3 GOTY for PS3 sitting here and I want the guide for it. I don't even care if I get the CE or just the normal softcover one, but so long as I get one I'll be happy.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was thinking more alongthe lines of grocery stores tossing out day old stuff like bagels and the like instead of selling it for a reduced price. It still makes NO sense to me to toss out perfectly good food instead of giving it to people who could use it.[/QUOTE]

I used to manage a restaurant, and the reason they avoid this is largely due to abuse. If people know they can wait a day and get it cheaper, they will. The market for new stuff drops when stores have tried this.

Plus it adds a whole new layer of complexity and hassle to your operation, what with repricing everything, people trying to switch the prices (cheaters), keeping track of TWO layers of inventory (new and discounted), etc, etc. Just not worth it.

If there was some rock-solid way of making sure waste food went to those that truly needed it, I think stores would jump on it. But you know that people who can pay for it but choose not to would be all over it. So it nixes the possibility for everyone.

I remember trying to donate day-old bagels to the food bank. I told them I would deliver them, and I could promise at least several dozen a day. They refused. They said because they weren't in sealed retail packaging (our store baked them ourselves and sold direct), they wouldn't take them. So it's not all to blame on the stores. :wall:

Sorry for the OT chatter!

Here on the plains, there is often deer meat donated. My understanding is it must be processed through specific vendors however. OT, in the homeland (district), few Best Buy penny guides are found this time. The DM must have been effective.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Here on the plains, there is often deer meat donated. My understanding is it must be processed through specific vendors however.[/QUOTE]

Vendors, or fenders? Would a F150 at legal highway speeds provide adequate processing?

[quote name='gantt']Vendors, or fenders? Would a F150 at legal highway speeds provide adequate processing?[/QUOTE]
For some of my relatives yes, food shelves, no :lol:

[quote name='Zippon']I used to manage a restaurant, and the reason they avoid this is largely due to abuse. If people know they can wait a day and get it cheaper, they will. The market for new stuff drops when stores have tried this.

Plus it adds a whole new layer of complexity and hassle to your operation, what with repricing everything, people trying to switch the prices (cheaters), keeping track of TWO layers of inventory (new and discounted), etc, etc. Just not worth it.
[/QUOTE]

you mean, kinda like penny guides?

Some of you are just dense. Shrike and Gwen did some heavy cleaning very recently and then the guilty parties immediately clutter this thread with posts that have nothing to do with the topic. It's definitely time for some bans and silences.

It's real simple. Stay on topic or get out.

[quote name='neocisco']Some of you are just dense. Shrike and Gwen did some heavy cleaning very recently and then the guilty parties immediately clutter this thread with posts that have nothing to do with the topic. It's definitely time for some bans and silences.

It's real simple. Stay on topic or get out.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

i hear they're taking mod applications in the summer.

[quote name='confoosious']:roll:

i hear they're taking mod applications in the summer.[/QUOTE]

I know, it's outrageous that I want to go into the guide topic and read about guides. If people have such a strong desire to talk about bread, go start a reduced bread topic.

[quote name='neocisco']I know, it's outrageous that I want to go into the guide topic and read about guides. If people have such a strong desire to talk about bread, go start a reduced bread topic.[/QUOTE]

jesus, cry me a fucking river. IATTCG keeps the OP constantly updated. This and the GS threads are the two threads with the best updates. So what if people wander off topic once in a while.

What is there to discuss once the mad rush to check price drops happens?

I picked up Fallout 3 (softcover) and CoD: Modern Warfare Reflex for a penny each at Best Buy today. I think someone must have pulled them, then put them back out. :bouncy:

I also got Scribblenaughts for $4.xx @ Target. Not as good as a penny, but acceptable none the less.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I picked up Fallout 3 (softcover) and CoD: Modern Warfare Reflex for a penny each at Best Buy today. I think someone must have pulled them, then put them back out. :bouncy:

I also got Scribblenaughts for $4.xx @ Target. Not as good as a penny, but acceptable none the less.[/QUOTE]

Was FO3 the regular or GOTY edition? I'm guessing regular but hoping GOTY.

[quote name='neocisco']Some of you are just dense. Shrike and Gwen did some heavy cleaning very recently and then the guilty parties immediately clutter this thread with posts that have nothing to do with the topic. It's definitely time for some bans and silences.

It's real simple. Stay on topic or get out.[/QUOTE]

Even though I used to bitch about all of the off topic stuff and even created the discussion topic specifically for the purpose of chit chat, I've given up on the hope of trying to keep this topic ON TOPIC.

So if someone wants to go back and forth about whatever topic, as long as people aren't fighting and bickering with each other, I really don't care anymore if the topic gets bloated quickly.

I do thank Shrike and Gwen for cleaning house the last couple of times, but it really isn't necessary anymore.

This isn't really related to the thread but I was hopin to get an answer to this question and I figure you guys are the guide experts.

Anyone know what the differences are between the collector's edition and the regular edition of the Fallout 3: GOTY guide? Is it just the hardcover?

[quote name='neocisco']Thanks for making my point. BTW, your avatar is wildly appropriate for you.[/quote]

Stupid, fat and lazy is no way to go through life, son.

You're the guy whining like a little bitch in a thread when even the OP of the thread doesn't care about OT discussions.

Haha ... this thread is actually pretty entertaining! ;)

On topic: Maybe we could put a section (WAY below the Penny guide section since there's not a 'third post' option), to include guides that are reduced (like 5$ Target guides, or 10$ BB guides) so other ... people ... won't complain about missing a 10$ guide they don't really want/keeping on topic/etc? (jk/jk). It would mean more work for IATCG (who keeps everything so up-to-date, thank goodness!), but as long as deals are still posted in bright red, (or that's the other option), no one really needs to sift through the other posts to find stuff easily! :) ... just a thought ...

Whoa! What happened to this thread in the last 2 days! While it is entertaining- I was hoping to find out info on the possible Halo 3 guide drop @ GS!

[quote name='Shan82']
On topic: Maybe we could put a section (WAY below the Penny guide section since there's not a 'third post' option), to include guides that are reduced (like 5$ Target guides, or 10$ BB guides) so other ... people ... won't complain about missing a 10$ guide they don't really want/keeping on topic/etc? (jk/jk). It would mean more work for IATCG (who keeps everything so up-to-date, thank goodness!), but as long as deals are still posted in bright red, (or that's the other option), no one really needs to sift through the other posts to find stuff easily! :) ... just a thought ...
[/QUOTE]

I'm actually quite interested in the once-every-couple-months Toys R US half price guide sale. I also notice that Gamestop is doing select guides for half price every couple of weeks as well.

confoosious, why does it always seem like you're involved in some sort of fighting/flaming? Stop.

Everyone, chill out and give it a rest.

Ive been following this thread for years, never heard many mention FYE penny guides. Unless im mistaken..

However I walked into what Im calling Bizarro FYE Saturday (found some insane old rare stuff)

I went through their guide rack and had them scan anything I thought was oldish.

Lots came up as a penny and I was sold them with ease. Been going to fYE for years and never knew they pennied. If you still even have an FYE near by, Id say check out the guides.

I found for penny:
Bioshock 1
Resistance 1
Fable Xbox
Lego Star Wars Tril 2
Pokemon Gale of Darkness
Ghost Recon Jungle Xbox
Sims 2
Dragonball Z assorted guides
Lost Odyssey 360
Forza XBOX
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Final Fantasy XII

I know some of them are wickedly old but some guides arent too ancient. I guess the manager told me they do penny pulls on guides every so often but sometimes they miss some and had no problem selling them.

[quote name='xDerekRx']Ive been following this thread for years, never heard many mention FYE penny guides. Unless im mistaken..

However I walked into what Im calling Bizarro FYE Saturday (found some insane old rare stuff)

I went through their guide rack and had them scan anything I thought was oldish.

Lots came up as a penny and I was sold them with ease. Been going to fYE for years and never knew they pennied. If you still even have an FYE near by, Id say check out the guides.

I found for penny:
Bioshock 1
Resistance 1
Fable Xbox
Lego Star Wars Tril 2
Pokemon Gale of Darkness
Ghost Recon Jungle Xbox
Sims 2
Lost Odyssey 360
Forza XBOX
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Final Fantasy XII

I know some of them are wickedly old but some guides arent too ancient. I guess the manager told me they do penny pulls on guides every so often but sometimes they miss some and had no problem selling them.[/QUOTE]

I've nabbed a few penny guides from FYE before, including Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom's guide for the PS3. They also penny games at times, with the only example of such that I can think of being Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2.

[quote name='Trakan']confoosious, why does it always seem like you're involved in some sort of fighting/flaming? Stop.

Everyone, chill out and give it a rest.[/QUOTE]

Mostly because I'm very bad at taking bait. I always fall for it.

Also, outside of a few exceptions, I mostly flame people who talk about return fraud or inventive ways to rip off retailers. I figured that wasn't the type of ship you guys ran around here but since I hardly ever see a mod step in when such talk goes on, I like to point out shady people. Mostly because I'm naive enough to think that it might detract others from doing the same.

Oh well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've nabbed a few penny guides from FYE before, including Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom's guide for the PS3. They also penny games at times, with the only example of such that I can think of being Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2.[/QUOTE]

I forget to write it down but I also found Dark Kingdoms. Like I said it was a bizarro FYE . Had like 6 new boxed ff11 online hdd sets, boxed nes games, n64 games, an insane ps2/xbox/gc/gba sealed stock among many other things. Id say among the coolest things i found were sealed legend of zelda gba (black cover original nes version) for 2$, and multiple xy sealed copies of xenosaga 1/2/ and yes 3. It was somewhere in Illinois. Makes me wonder if this was the like the store where all the games are sent :) I dont live anywhere near there so I cant make it out there often but I will almost make sure I make it there again.

OMG if FYE does penny guides I am going to end it all. I was at one over the weekend and they had guides for old games, like C&C 3 (!) I laughed a little and thought 'surely that would be a penny elsewhere!' but stickered at $19.99 I didn't want to bother taking it to the register.

IATCG, maybe you should add a summary of what stores potentially have penny guides that are confirmed in the OP. If I had known, I would have definitely scanned some guides at FYE

[quote name='loxthefox']If anyone's interested, the Bakugan guide is $5 this week at Best Buy. A decent deal for a guide that will probably flood the tradelists when it drops.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info...I'll keep that in mind. Nephew recently clued me in on his love of Bakugan.
[quote name='xDerekRx']Lots came up as a penny and I was sold them with ease. Been going to fYE for years and never knew they pennied.[/QUOTE]
Wow, following that impulse really paid off in spades. Congrats on the find.

[quote name='confoosious']Mostly because I'm very bad at taking bait. I always fall for it.

Also, outside of a few exceptions, I mostly flame people who talk about return fraud or inventive ways to rip off retailers. I figured that wasn't the type of ship you guys ran around here but since I hardly ever see a mod step in when such talk goes on, I like to point out shady people. Mostly because I'm naive enough to think that it might detract others from doing the same.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

In the future perhaps you should look for this button
report.gif
and click it to report a post to a moderator, rather than trying to take on the task yourself :)

[quote name='xDerekRx']Ive been following this thread for years, never heard many mention FYE penny guides. Unless im mistaken..

I found for penny:
Bioshock 1
Resistance 1
Fable Xbox
Lego Star Wars Tril 2
Pokemon Gale of Darkness
Ghost Recon Jungle Xbox
Sims 2
Lost Odyssey 360
Forza XBOX
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Final Fantasy XII

I know some of them are wickedly old but some guides arent too ancient. I guess the manager told me they do penny pulls on guides every so often but sometimes they miss some and had no problem selling them.[/QUOTE]

Derek, did you use the self scanner for the guides? When I used the self scanner for an Untold Legends guide it came up as "out of the system" or something like that, but it scanned at the register for a penny and the clerk refused to sell it for that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back