Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a relatively brand new Best Buy store right by me, so I'll see how they are about pulling their pennny guides. They'll probably be right on top of it, but I'll be sure to walk in the door as soon as they open & see what's what.

Bah! Took SWTFU, Alan CE, ModNation, and the DS book to the register. Cashier had never seen that, but he asked. Next guy didn't know, so they asked a manager. Denied, even after I offered to buy a Move bundle ;)

They had a bunch of GoW also, but I didn't see that was pennied before going. TONS of SWTFU still there, and at least one of each of the others still out, though they put them on bottom shelves around the area, so I had to hunt for most of them. This was at the Roseville, MN location.

picked up @ 1 store near work

2x Dead To Rights: Retribution
2x God of War III LE
1x Nintendo DS Pocket Guide
8x Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

thanks op

They had the nerve to charge me 1 cent tax, do you believe that? LOL

[quote name='ballbarfer']yeah this year has been very depressing....was hoping for a drop here soon cuz one of my local stores lets me trade them in and i then get games basically for free so this tread has helped me like you'd not believe![/QUOTE]

What store trades what for how much?

[quote name='nixmahn']What store trades what for how much?[/QUOTE]

I know I've seen a couple of kcal used game stores that will trade for gameguides. I've never done it, since they only offer a couple dollars max, and if prefer to trade for other guides or pass my extras to friends. :)

I managed to find most of the guides, except Bioshock 2 and SW:TFU (weird!) but I already have those two, anyways. Grabbed an extra on most of the guides (except LE abd K&L 2, which only had one of each).

I didn't look for every guide listed, but my BB had pretty much all of them still on the shelf, except one of the ones I really wanted, Modnation Racers.

I only picked up the guides I was interested in for me or my kids:
Codes And Cheats Spring 2010
Nintendo DS Pocket Guide
Pokemon Platinum
Star Wars: The Force Unleased (they had been 50% off - all were kind of beaten up)
God of War III LE
Crackdown II
Bioshock 2 LE
Bakugan

the clerk's eyes almost popped out of her head when she saw the price. She asked if there were any more Bioshock 2 guides. I said I'm not greedy, there were 2 and I took 1. So I think she was planning on getting the other one as soon as she could.

Friend of mine just got blocked from buying 8 Bioshock 2 LE's. Only allowed one of each. Was hoping he got them for me so I didn't have to take them from the warehouse at my store.

[quote name='nixmahn']picked up @ 1 store near work

2x Dead To Rights: Retribution
2x God of War III LE
1x Nintendo DS Pocket Guide
8x Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

thanks op

They had the nerve to charge me 1 cent tax, do you believe that? LOL[/QUOTE]

Hey, can you keep the bragging to yourself? I noticed that you love to brag about your hoarding....I too semi-hoard (buy 2 only -one to use and one for my collection), but man, you totally go overboard then you come here to brag. What are you going to do with 8 Star Wars? I see below that you very insterested in unload them already if given the opportunity.

And don't try to BS and say you left some other guides behind because there is no way you would pass on another Dead To Rights: Retribution and get 8 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

So please keep the bragging in the bragging forum and not here. Or you can just say thanks op instead.
Thank you for your cooperation.

PS-Thank God, you're not near my location.

[quote name='nixmahn']What store trades what for how much?[/QUOTE]

Very Lucky to get a Bioshock 2 LE and God of War III LE. So excited I forgot to check Lego Indy 2 which is probably overdue for a drop as well. anyone check that one? Thanks Lox and Frosty!

Went to 2 stores today, grabbed all guides except Battlefield BC2 and Pokemon Platinum..I got x2 for all the hardcover guides, so I was really happy. I left some behind at both locations. Will try to hit up another one this afternoon. I guess these stores didn't get the memo, and the cashiers gave me attitude which was nice!

Question:

Is GRABBIN DEM SHITZ frowned upon the community when it comes to penny guides? I mean, usually they're pulled, but if they didn't pull it then will they ever pull it or pull it right after the first guy grabs a penny one?

Hey, can you keep the bragging to yourself?
Can you keep your self righteous opinions to yourself?

I noticed that you love to brag about your hoarding....I too semi-hoard (buy 2 only -one to use and one for my collection), but man, you totally go overboard then you come here to brag.
There really is no such thing as semi-hoard, but if it makes you feel better to think of it that way please delud yourself how much you like.

What are you going to do with 8 Star Wars?
Anything I d@mn well want, they sold them, I paid for them.

I see below that you very insterested in unload them already if given the opportunity.
Yes. So? Its a capitalistic country, its a free country too.

And don't try to BS and say you left some other guides behind because there is no way you would pass on another Dead To Rights: Retribution and get 8 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
Why do you think I would do that. Oh you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a d@mn.

So please keep the bragging in the bragging forum and not here.
I did not brag, just told everyone what and how much I got. I see a lot of people just did that and not to mention, you did the same thing.

Or you can just say thanks op instead.
I did thank the op.

Thank you for your cooperation.
No problem.

PS-Thank God, your not near my location.
I am too, I hear there are tons of self righteous douche bags near your location.

well, went back a 2nd time to grab the God of War CE since they apparently missed it. Also picked up a Toy story 3 ironpack while there so wasn't a total waste =]

Hopefully the BB on the way home will have Alan Wake and Bioshock II

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Question:

Is GRABBIN DEM SHITZ frowned upon the community when it comes to penny guides? I mean, usually they're pulled, but if they didn't pull it then will they ever pull it or pull it right after the first guy grabs a penny one?[/QUOTE]

It's a matter of luck. I've gone back to locations where I've gotten a penny guide just to see all of them still on the racks. But I know a lot of hoarders like to use the excuse of "well, if I didn't get em, nobody would have!" :roll: douches.

Sad day on the penny guide trail for me. 2 stores pulled, 1 store only had Bioshock 2 LE and DTR:R (which I left). Strange to see a store that DID NOT pull only have 2 freaking guides from the list... Oh well. I'll use the Bioshock 2 guide, since it's one of the 2 games I'm playing right now.

All pulled at the Southridge store in Greenfield, WI.

But at least I got the Ironman 2 Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital copy pack for $14.99 (free after RZ certificate and gift card) due to their website pricing error.

Caught the BB media employees in the middle of a remodel, so they hadn't had time to pull the guides. Got just about everything I wanted save for Red Steel 2 and Bad Company 2.

This was the Midlothian BB, BTW. They still had some left for those that are interested.

One of my local BB's has (or had) all three guides I want (Alpha Protocol, Alan Wake LE, Bioshock 2 LE), just sitting there collecting dust for months, and I knew the day would come where they'd get pennied. Figures I'd stuck at work! :bomb:

Oh well, at least I should be able to get them cheaper than normal once they hit the second-hand market. :cool:

Daminion, pm me if you want some guides. I left some at mayfield and strongsville, and I missed seeing the gow les
- from my iPad at panera

[quote name='Shan82']I must say, I've seen very few Halo REach LE guides and am wondering if they'll go the way of Fallout 3 GOTY (extremely scarce at drop!)[/QUOTE]

Has Fallout 3 GOTY penny dropped?

[quote name='JordanPlayer']Went to 4 BB's on North side of Houston and everything pulled, have 1 more to try.[/QUOTE]Holy balls, the last store I went to check had nearly every guide on the drop list!!

Picked up:
Alan Wake CE (2)
Bioshock 2 CE
Crackdown 2 (2)
Dead to Rights: Retribution
GoW III CE (2)
Iron Man 2
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Modnation Racers (2)
Pokemon Platinum
Red Steel 2 (2)
Star Wars: Force Unleashed

[quote name='slowdive21']I was just thinking the guide lists rarely make it to SD and that it is one of the few "deals" exclusive to CAG. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
I hate SD for that very reason. Too many hoarders buy up all the deals

[quote name='cheech794']I hate SD for that very reason. Too many hoarders buy up all the deals[/QUOTE]

lol... the hoarders from CAG won't have enough.

Confirmed at Oxford Valley, PA. They haven't pulled the guides and I got the following
Kane and Lynch 2
Crackdown II
BioShock II LE
God of War III CE
Pokemon Platinum (an load of them)
Sigularity

Only the regular edition of Alan Wake was there. Try to get the clerk with the curly red hair, she won't give you a problem.

[quote name='JordanPlayer']Holy balls, the last store I went to check had nearly every guide on the drop list!!

Picked up:
Alan Wake CE (2)
Bioshock 2 CE
Crackdown 2 (2)
GoW III CE (2)
Iron Man 2
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Modnation Racers (2)
Pokemon Platinum
Red Steel 2 (2)
Star Wars: Force Unleashed[/QUOTE]

You walked up with 16 guides that rang up 1 cent each, and they didn't care? Man. I'm poor but I feel like going to check these out...I'll go tomorrow when I pick up Castlevania.

Out of the six stores I went to today only two hadn't pulled guides. Was able to get pretty much all that I wanted except Force Unleashed (which disappeared from my closest store around two months ago). Still, all in all can't complain.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']You walked up with 16 guides that rang up 1 cent each, and they didn't care? Man. I'm poor but I feel like going to check these out...I'll go tomorrow when I pick up Castlevania.[/QUOTE]

I walked up with what turned out to be 40, and the one store I was at didn't even pull the ones I left! (I went back later when I found out that I missed the GoW III LE when I made my list this morning.

That store is awesome! (Mayfield Heights OH)

[quote name='radioactivez0r']You walked up with 16 guides that rang up 1 cent each, and they didn't care? Man. I'm poor but I feel like going to check these out...I'll go tomorrow when I pick up Castlevania.[/QUOTE]Well, I did pick up Demon's Souls for $30 just to have something else at checkout... I didn't even come close to cleaning the place out either; just got what I wanted and an extra. They still had a couple GoW 3 CE guides I left, and they had plenty leftovers of all of the regular guides on this drop. I don't like hoarding everything on the first time, just in case there are any other CAGers in the area looking for stuff. Will probably swing by the place again tomorrow and double-dip if the guides are still on the shelves:D At another BB I found a couple of Crackdown 2 guides and another Kane & Lynch 2 and checked out for 3 cents. I just chit-chat with the cashiers (both women if it really matters) and they just remarked at how cheap the guides were.

All guides around me pulled. I did manage to get an employee to go in the back and grab me an Alan Wake and Bioshock 2 collectors but that was it. All metro-detroit area bestbuys got a memo to pull. They only missed a couple battlefield ones.

I even saw the pull cart at one that had the stacks of Star Wars Force Unleashed and Pokemon Platinum guides. Would have been nice to get a platinum guide or even a double of the Alan Wake so i could open one keep the other sealed but I lucked out on getting just the few I did manage to snag.

Edit: I did manage to snag a modnation racers guide from a gamestop though which will go up for trade.

Picked up:

Crackdown 2
SWFU
Kane & Lynch 2
Alpha Protocol
Singularity
Mod Nation Racers
Iron Man 2

I found all of these guides mixed in with the games in the video game section. The guide section was small and 70% of it was Halo ODST.

I was looking for the LEs and BF:BC2 but I wasn't able to go until 1pm and I only went to one BB. This drop is far from epic but I shouldn't really complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back