Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dark Rider']That sucks. I am currently 5/5 around here in the last year.

Also, I am expecting a drop from BB this week. How about you guys?[/QUOTE]I hope so--they've had the AC:B and New Vegas CEs at full price for so long...:drool:

Found a Disgaea 4 guide today at GS, take it to the register and got denied saying they gonna have to send it back. All the other GS I went to pulled everything.

[quote name='Wrong']Hey IATCG,

I think you are missing the heartgold soulsilver pokemon guide on your gamestop drop. I think one of the earlier posts showed a bunch of the CE black/white and gold/silver guides in it.[/QUOTE]
This is why I always wait till we have a full confirmed list from someone before updating. Cuz it's always a pita going back in and re-editing 90x.:razz: But uhhhh....you do know that the OP is now a WIKI, meaning anyone can update/edit it, right?;) You see something missing on the list there, feel free to add it(as long as ya stick to the formatting in the OP). This is why I'm hoping whenever CAG switches over to the new software that we can make multiple posts WIKI type ones, so it can be more of a community effort.
[quote name='Tsel']I just realized that. No wonder he said he marked it down TODAY. It even had the .01 price tag and was in the back. Add Sims 3: Pets to the list. I saw Sims 3 in the first post so I didn't think anything of it.[/QUOTE]
See above. But I'll add in both Pokemon: HeartGold/SoulSilver and Sims 3: Pets right now to the appropriate posts. If anyone gets the SKU's for both, please post them. Thanks.

EDIT: Can I get confirmation that it's the actual guide for Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver FIRST before I add it in, since we already had the following PM: HG&SS ones drop in August and October:

Pokemon Heartgold & Soulsilver Versions Volume 2 Pokedex
Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver Sticker Collection

yesterday i saw a gran turismo 5 guide at gamestop but i didnt know if it had pennied so i didnt pick it up yesterday. so i decided to go today again and see if it was still there or if they had pulled. but nope, everything was there. i walked out with 8 guides this time. same cashier. all she did was ask what i did with these guides so i told her that i trade them to my friends. looks like this gamestop has no other cags. and they apparently dont pull. cant wait for ff13 reg and dark souls ce to drop as they got 1 of each...

found 3 black/white CE guides after a trip to three gamestops about 2 mins away from eachother, door to door, two of them were still shrink wrapped, one was just the plain book with no back or front cover, also a brink and a sealed dead rising 2 guide...

one manager had a pile of about 15 different guides and just told me to take them all if i wanted to... I had a laugh and just took the brink, opened black/white CE, and sealed dead rising 2 guides no disgaea 4 anywhere though

Story time!

My gf was talking to her mom (who lives in another state, hates games) about gamestop pennying out guides. And her mom actually offered to go look at the gamestops around her. So we sent her a list of Mortal Kombat, Dissidia 012, and Disgaea 4.

She called back today and said she found a guide with the number 4 in it (Disgaea).

[quote name='AionTelos']Story time!

My gf was talking to her mom (who lives in another state, hates games) about gamestop pennying out guides. And her mom actually offered to go look at the gamestops around her. So we sent her a list of Mortal Kombat, Dissidia 012, and Disgaea 4.

She called back today and said she found a guide with the number 4 in it (Disgaea).[/QUOTE]

I put my parents to work all the time. A few years ago they went to Florida on vacation and came back with suitcase full of penny guides. (They had to redistribute them so the bags were not overweight.) :D

[quote name='slowdive21']I put my parents to work all the time. A few years ago they went to Florida on vacation and came back with suitcase full of penny guides. (They had to redistribute them so the bags were not overweight.) :D[/QUOTE]
I've actually thought about doing that while on vacation myself, but sending any I find back home to myself in a flat rate box or something, assuming I find that many.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've actually thought about doing that while on vacation myself, but sending any I find back home to myself in a flat rate box or something, assuming I find that many.[/QUOTE]

I did find a case of superman statues when traveling that I shipped back to myself. It was $12 or so to ship, but to me it was worth it. ;)

[quote name='slowdive21']I did find a case of superman statues when traveling that I shipped back to myself. It was $12 or so to ship, but to me it was worth it. ;)[/QUOTE]
You mean those Superman Returns busts that BB pennied a few years ago?;) I was only ever able to find ONE(Clark Kent opening his shirt to reveal the Superman logo).

It's still sitting here in the box that I found it in. I found it at the same store that I just found 2 Duke Nukem Forever CE's and a Crysis 2 guide about a month ago.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean those Superman Returns busts that BB pennied a few years ago?;) I was only ever able to find ONE(Clark Kent opening his shirt to reveal the Superman logo).

It's still sitting here in the box that I found it in. I found it at the same store that I just found 2 Duke Nukem Forever CE's and a Crysis 2 guide about a month ago.;)[/QUOTE]

I had one of each. Just last month or so I found them and said to myself "WTF do I have these for?" So I gave them to my kids. It was Superman, Clark Kent, and Lex Luther.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean those Superman Returns busts that BB pennied a few years ago?;) I was only ever able to find ONE(Clark Kent opening his shirt to reveal the Superman logo).

It's still sitting here in the box that I found it in. I found it at the same store that I just found 2 Duke Nukem Forever CE's and a Crysis 2 guide about a month ago.;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had 6 of the clark kent and 6 of the superman, never did find any Lex ones (I hit 14 or so BB across the country at that time). I had to pay anywhere from .25 each to $1 since the price seemed to vary by region. They were the only penny item that I remember varying in price.

dont think i ever seen the disgaea 4 guide at the gamestop around me. it was unfortunately the only penny guide i wanted (other than when ff13 gets pennied out). found the brink / hunted /wwe / dead rising guide at the nearby gamestops but left them since i wasnt interested in those.

[quote name='spiderman8576']dont think i ever seen the disgaea 4 guide at the gamestop around me. it was unfortunately the only penny guide i wanted (other than when ff13 gets pennied out). found the brink / hunted /wwe / dead rising guide at the nearby gamestops but left them since i wasnt interested in those.[/QUOTE]
I probably would've been interested in one of the Hunted ones actually(and probably one of the Assassin's Creed DVD's/Blu-Rays). But since I'm perma-banned from all GS stores I don't dare try going into any of my local GS stores to check for one myself. Otherwise I'd likely just hit up the one I used to pre-order crap at, since they almost always gave me stuff when they dropped.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I probably would've been interested in one of the Hunted ones actually(and probably one of the Assassin's Creed DVD's/Blu-Rays). But since I'm perma-banned from all GS stores I don't dare try going into any of my local GS stores to check for one myself. Otherwise I'd likely just hit up the one I used to pre-order crap at, since they almost always gave me stuff when they dropped.;)[/QUOTE]
how r u perma-banned? do they have like a picture of u or something? or r u just saying ur local ones all know u and just reject u immediately?

[quote name='postaboy']WTF! I was looking for my superman bust (still new in its box) this afternoon and I found out I still have my 7 wow azeroth maps (sealed) which were all purchased from Bestbuy for a penny each 5-6 years ago. I then search on amazon and saw how much they were selling for.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraf...44UE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327801054&sr=8-7[/QUOTE]

Just because they're priced there doesnt mean they'll necessarily sell. Especially if its something older. I dont know much about WOW, but I'm assuming that since their expansion packs, the maps havechanged?

yes today was the best day anniversary ever.. its me and my gfs 5th anniversary and decided after we went to see the grey to stop by the mall gamestop. low and behold the one guide i wanted they had and guy was nice to let me have it........
DISGAEA 4!!!!
sorry for caps just really stoked.

[quote name='Link927']Just because they're priced there doesnt mean they'll necessarily sell. Especially if its something older. I dont know much about WOW, but I'm assuming that since their expansion packs, the maps havechanged?[/QUOTE]

True.

I'm thinking of listing mine @ $40 for the heck of it.

[quote name='postaboy']True.

I'm thinking of listing mine @ $40 for the heck of it.[/QUOTE]

Dont do that. At least list it at $75 and move down slowly.

Sexy, found an epic mickey CE guide. And quite a bit of other stuff. They looked in there stock (from there computers) and told me a place near me had Dissidia 2, went there and sure enough the penny'ed out guide was there.

Blew some guys mind when I pulled it for a penny.

Still hoping for me first one someday. I have this vision in my mind of them refusing to sell it to me when they see its a penny. Does that ever happen to you guys?

[quote name='mrclutch']Still hoping for me first one someday. I have this vision in my mind of them refusing to sell it to me when they see its a penny. Does that ever happen to you guys?[/QUOTE]

"Cag in training" indeed..

[quote name='mrclutch']Still hoping for me first one someday. I have this vision in my mind of them refusing to sell it to me when they see its a penny. Does that ever happen to you guys?[/QUOTE]

yes, thats what was stopping me from checking (and laziness) but i finally went this past week and got a good amount of guides. so just push that vision aside and try to get some guides.

[quote name='IndelibleSin']yes, thats what was stopping me from checking (and laziness) but i finally went this past week and got a good amount of guides. so just push that vision aside and try to get some guides.[/QUOTE]

Yah, I hit up a few stores and if I found any it was a "I never saw this." Sort of deal.

I hit up the further off BB store that had tons of the November drop guides on the shelf the last time I was there. As expected, they musta pulled them once I left with my big haul of 3-4 penny guides and the Uncharted 3 CE one.:roll:

Oh well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I hit up the further off BB store that had tons of the November drop guides on the shelf the last time I was there. As expected, they musta pulled them once I left with my big haul of 3-4 penny guides and the Uncharted 3 CE one.:roll:

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 3 CE is pennied? :hot:

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']Uncharted 3 CE is pennied? :hot:[/QUOTE]
Uh no.

Re-read my post.:razz: I specifically said '3-4 penny guides' then mention the Uncharted 3 CE one, which was $17 n change with the 50% off any guide coupon from the Gamer's Club Unlocked welcome packet.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Uh no.

Re-read my post.:razz: I specifically said '3-4 penny guides' then mention the Uncharted 3 CE one, which was $17 n change with the 50% off any guide coupon from the Gamer's Club Unlocked welcome packet.[/QUOTE]

Now that I read it I see lol.

I literally almost ran out my front door to Bestbuy

Wow! This is the first time I read this thread. Might be a regular here now! Have to check my local game stop. They seem to have alot of old guides there.

SCORE!!!

so after reading the thread i drove to my nearest game stop and got these guides...

1. ASSASSIN'S CREED BROTHERHOOD
2. DISGAEA 4
3. DISSIDIA 012
4. RESISTANCE 3

DISGAEA and AC:B were actually pulled out from the shelves already. i just noticed them stack in the floor near the counter and asked if i can buy them. The employee was nice enough to explain to me that they actually can't sell them since they pennied out already and just handed them to me no charge...

RESISTANCE 3 and DISSIDIA were on their shelves, then when i tried to pay for them the employee smiled at me and said "hey, these are pennied out too" so i just got them no charge!!! and then the cashier looked at the other employee and said to the other guy "Did you even check the shelves?" and laughed and asked him to pulled out the rest of the remaining resistance.

I'm so happy right now!!! woohoo!! might try and visit the other GS near my office tomorrow to see what i can find there! i think i saw a BL GOTY in one of them last wednesday... hope its still there.

Thanks CAG!!

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Wow! This is the first time I read this thread. Might be a regular here now! Have to check my local game stop. They seem to have alot of old guides there.[/QUOTE]
Depending on how long your local Gamestop stores have been around and how big of a store they have you may wanna ask them to print up an inventoried list of all the guides they have in stock.

I know when I found a particularly large GS store inside a mall up in CT about 4-5 years ago they printed up an inventory for me and had something like 350 guides marked a penny.;)

Unfortunately after initially telling me I could take as many as I wanted they reduced it to TEN.:shock:

I still think of the haul that could have been.:cry:;)

Hehe! That seems like a lot to ask. Plus I don't think employees are allowed to give out inventory list. But yeah, the employees in that gs were really nice to hook me up. Once I buy something next time I'll probably do that survey thing in their receipt and give them good points.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Hehe! That seems like a lot to ask. Plus I don't think employees are allowed to give out inventory list. But yeah, the employees in that gs were really nice to hook me up. Once I buy something next time I'll probably do that survey thing in their receipt and give them good points.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday while buying some used games I finally got the Golden Sun guide from a GameStop I rarely frequent.

The associate was nice but slyly tried to blackmail me into doing a favorable survey since he was "...just about giving me the guide for free".

Then he said "Just so you know, any score below an 8, they don't really count. To the higher-ups it might as well be a 0".

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this or was he just trying to milk me for a glowing survey?

[quote name='SKEETER']Yesterday while buying some used games I finally got the Golden Sun guide from a GameStop I rarely frequent.

The associate was nice but slyly tried to blackmail me into doing a favorable survey since he was "...just about giving me the guide for free".

Then he said "Just so you know, any score below an 8, they don't really count. To the higher-ups it might as well be a 0".

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this or was he just trying to milk me for a glowing survey?[/QUOTE]

Probably is true. Same works for game ratings now on most sites.

[quote name='SKEETER']Yesterday while buying some used games I finally got the Golden Sun guide from a GameStop I rarely frequent.

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this or was he just trying to milk me for a glowing survey?[/QUOTE]

Friend of mine who is a manager at a Walgreens told me the same thing. When you give them below an 8 the score isn't tracked. So it needs to be a 9 or 10 for it to even count. Granted if you give them an 8 it isn't as bad as a 0, but it just doesn't count. I am unsure if that is how GS does things though.

Can't wait for work to end so i can scout my local BB for old guides... they seem to just pile them in one area and i rarely see it being arranged. Hope to find something nice and not be turned down. I made my must have list handy already...

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Friend of mine who is a manager at a Walgreens told me the same thing. When you give them below an 8 the score isn't tracked. So it needs to be a 9 or 10 for it to even count. Granted if you give them an 8 it isn't as bad as a 0, but it just doesn't count. I am unsure if that is how GS does things though.[/QUOTE]

this is 100% correct. I am employeed at Walgreens.

[quote name='SKEETER']Then he said "Just so you know, any score below an 8, they don't really count. To the higher-ups it might as well be a 0".

True. This was a brilliant brainstorm by corporate America a few years ago, and naturally the stupidity spread to nearly every organization. No one outside of the company will understand the rating scale, meaning the associate has to beg the customer for a 9 or 10, utterly defeating the entire purpose of the customer satisfaction survey.

Got lucky (which is unusual these days). There's almost no place left to pick up guides now; BB and most GS locations here pull the guides to field destroy. It used to be so much better...oh well.

Scored:

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (sealed) x2
Warhammer: Space Marine
Homefront CE (hardcover; sealed)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (sealed)
WW All-Stars (sealed)
Brink

Keeping the Homefront, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and Brink guides, but the rest are available.

I was just glad to finally get something new. :applause:

I sort of scored yesterday. Picked up 2x Dragon Age CE, 2x Dead Rising 2 and 1x Homefront CE. Made it to the counter and got rung up, as I'm acting surprised and pulling a nickel out of my pocket the register phone rings and the guy says he can't sell them to me. I think the manager spotted me while I was in line and then guide-blocked me when he went to the back.

Anyway, I got sort of lucky cuase the two register guys were pretty cool, so one of them went back to talk to the manager, he came back out and was like "I can't sell these to you, but for your inconvenience I'm allowed to give you one of them."

Thanked him, took my one Dragon Age 2 hardcover and went home. :)

If anyone wants to try, there were a few more Dead Rising 2s and I think a Dragon Quest VI on the shelves still at the Glendale Galleria store in CA.

Surprised to get a Disgaea 4 guide today at GS. Only walked in b/c i was in the shopping center for something else. Rang up penny and the guy pondered for a second and then said it was my lucky day and to take it because it wasn't pulled.
Almost missed it since i was looking for a smaller guide style like the other Disgaea guides.

Went to BB and got these. I'm not going to keep them all but I wanted to get them before they were sent back. The lady was asking me where I found them and I told her they were on the floor. She was like, "Well I just pulled these and I don't know how they got back on the floor but that's fine." Thankfully she let me keep them.

100B6811.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back