Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sk8punkandy']Hi, don’t know if this is old news or not, but last week Friday I stopped in at best buy and was chatting it up for a while with a cool best buy employee. I eventually asked if they had any penny guides and he said that he pennied some guides last month (June). Don’t know if any of you guys care, but I am just letting you know there was a drop last month at best buy. I didn’t ask for the name of the guides since they are probably all gone.[/QUOTE]

This would seem to come as a surprise to Frosty and Lox, not to mention the rest of the CAGs who seem to diligently check these things.

Since you say you went so far as to ask an employee about penny guides (not something I would do), I'd suggest you get the specifics: people have been known to find them days, weeks and months after they pennied.

[quote name='sk8punkandy']Hey gantt, I can try to talk to the same employee and ask him what guides he pennied.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the community would appreciate it. Once you put the idea of a missed drop out there, though, I suspect Sonic is right - if there was a drop, people here will ferret out the details pretty quickly.

IDK about no drops, the racks have remained steady for the past few weeks, just a few new additions, nothing I noticed missing. I'm thinking the oldest guides out now are Halo Reach, Fallout NV, SWFU 2, and the GT5 mini-book. Still see those quite regularly..

[quote name='token2k6']IDK about no drops, the racks have remained steady for the past few weeks, just a few new additions, nothing I noticed missing. I'm thinking the oldest guides out now are Halo Reach, Fallout NV, SWFU 2, and the GT5 mini-book. Still see those quite regularly..[/QUOTE]

I still see a few DA:O, NSMB, and HR legendary around, hope a drop is real

You know, with all of the running around for work I've been doing out of town, it never crossed my mind to check the in-store customer kiosks for pennied guides.

Sometimes the in-store kiosks will show stuff that's been pennied(aka those Spongebob/Patrick backpack clips from last week) that the normal website won't show as a penny.

I've seen listings for guides that were long since pennied out at BB on the in-store kiosks that don't even exist anymore on the main website and on the in-store one they still showed up $.01 .

So if someone would be ever so kind as to check their local BB and get on a customer kiosk there you may just find something.;)

I'd do it myself, but I'm hibernating in the A/C today and tomorrow cuz it's supposed to be 90* n humid today and tomorrow.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know, with all of the running around for work I've been doing out of town, it never crossed my mind to check the in-store customer kiosks for pennied guides.

Sometimes the in-store kiosks will show stuff that's been pennied(aka those Spongebob/Patrick backpack clips from last week) that the normal website won't show as a penny.

I've seen listings for guides that were long since pennied out at BB on the in-store kiosks that don't even exist anymore on the main website and on the in-store one they still showed up $.01 .

So if someone would be ever so kind as to check their local BB and get on a customer kiosk there you may just find something.;)

I'd do it myself, but I'm hibernating in the A/C today and tomorrow cuz it's supposed to be 90* n humid today and tomorrow.:razz:[/QUOTE]

I have to go pick-up :360:FO:NV and a blu-ray at a couple of stores, i'll let y'all know if I find anything on the in-store kiosk. I'll just try different characters and see what results appear.

:lol: That's the average around here; we have temps in the mid-90's with 50% humidity and feel-like temps around 105° :hot: Just slather some sunblock on, you'll be okay :D

[quote name='htown01']I have to go pick-up :360:FO:NV and a blu-ray at a couple of stores, i'll let y'all know if I find anything on the in-store kiosk. I'll just try different characters and see what results appear.

:lol: That's the average around here; we have temps in the mid-90's with 50% humidity and feel-like temps around 105° :hot: Just slather some sunblock on, you'll be okay :D[/QUOTE]
You know the weird part is I never used sunblock as a kid and I got a deep tan when I was younger and actually felt healthier with the amount of sun I used to get.

Now I'm like a frickin' albino practically. Only thing I have now is a driver's tan from sticking my arm out the window as I drive.:lol:

For anyone willing to pay as much, GS has a few guides discounted down to $10, $15 and $20.

$10
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Epic Mickey
Homefront
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

$15
Final Fantasy XIII

$20
Epic Mickey CE
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II CE

[quote name='HeSaveDave']do the clerks at gamestop horde the pennied guides or are they available often?[/QUOTE]

They usually throw them out. I just got lucky and found a store in nowhere, OH that had 8 on the rack.

Usually, at least around here, they are really good at pulling them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know the weird part is I never used sunblock as a kid and I got a deep tan when I was younger and actually felt healthier with the amount of sun I used to get.

Now I'm like a frickin' albino practically. Only thing I have now is a driver's tan from sticking my arm out the window as I drive.:lol:[/QUOTE]

If you're lacking Vitamin D, then going out to get some sun is a great idea. But of course you can't be out there too long.

:lol:

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I checked the kiosk last week, no guides were listed for a penny.[/QUOTE]

Well, they only remain on the site for a limited amount of time after they drop. I'm only going to check the in-store kiosk because i'm going to be in the store, I honestly don't think we'll know which ones dropped until someone like Frosty or Lox verifies.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']do the clerks at gamestop horde the pennied guides or are they available often?[/QUOTE]

The former, generally. After learning about these from this topic, I spoke with a couple employees I know at two stores and they all collect them. One of'em even said that he puts older guides in the back ahead of time just to ensure that they don't sell before it's reduced.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know the weird part is I never used sunblock as a kid and I got a deep tan when I was younger and actually felt healthier with the amount of sun I used to get.

Now I'm like a frickin' albino practically. Only thing I have now is a driver's tan from sticking my arm out the window as I drive.:lol:[/QUOTE]

fucking John Marston The Cheapest Gamer is back. Bout damn time. :lol:

For checking in store kiosks, what did you say the key was for searching for the .01 items? I'm thinking it was the "&" key or "3" key right? (and possibly all of them except "%")

[quote name='mvp828']fucking John Marston The Cheapest Gamer is back. Bout damn time. :lol:

For checking in store kiosks, what did you say the key was for searching for the .01 items? I'm thinking it was the "&" key or "3" key right? (and possibly all of them except "%")[/QUOTE]
I think most of the number key characters(like #$*(^#%) bring up something or other on the BB site.

I just tried the % symbol and that takes you to a blank page once it loads. Then I tried the ^ symbol and that brings up all of the $.00 phones that're 'free' after a 2 year contract is signed. After the 2-3 pages(at 50 per page) of those phones should be anything that's pennied.

It brings up all of the clearance priced music CD's/DVD's starting at $.49 as well, but unfortunately it's looking like it goes straight from the $.00 phones to the $.49 CD/DVD clearance items with NO pennied items in between.

As for Mr. Marston being back, it was either that or receive complaints about my choice of avatar from 2 this morning(Hitler) till I'm forced to change it. But that avatar change was me trying to make a statement and changing my mind.;)

[quote name='neocisco']For anyone willing to pay as much, GS has a few guides discounted down to $10, $15 and $20.

$10
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Epic Mickey
Homefront
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

$15
Final Fantasy XIII

$20
Epic Mickey CE
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II CE[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I might have to go for the Lego Star Wars. Although I might PM at BB in order to use a $5 reward certificate. Anyone know if you still get discounts on guides at GS for the Power Up Rewards (Free edition)?

I think "hoard" isn't exactly right. Very few of the employees I've met track guides at all. But if one gets listed as a pull, and their manager allows it, they'll grab it. I've never heard one brag about getting everything from a drop, like so many of us CAGs do.

They do sometimes stack the guides in the storeroom and make them available to any regular customer who specifically asks for them. This is against the rules, so it depends again on the manager. Those guides are supposed to be destroyed. I've had a couple of good honey holes get ruined because a visiting district manager noticed the guide stacks in the back and oversaw their immediate destruction. But that's the nature of this game. Every penny guide we get is a happy accident. :D

[quote name='hellmutt']Interesting, I might have to go for the Lego Star Wars. Although I might PM at BB in order to use a $5 reward certificate. Anyone know if you still get discounts on guides at GS for the Power Up Rewards (Free edition)?[/QUOTE]

I believe you still get the 10% off.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think most of the number key characters(like #$*(^#%) bring up something or other on the BB site.

I just tried the % symbol and that takes you to a blank page once it loads. Then I tried the ^ symbol and that brings up all of the $.00 phones that're 'free' after a 2 year contract is signed. After the 2-3 pages(at 50 per page) of those phones should be anything that's pennied.

It brings up all of the clearance priced music CD's/DVD's starting at $.49 as well, but unfortunately it's looking like it goes straight from the $.00 phones to the $.49 CD/DVD clearance items with NO pennied items in between.

As for Mr. Marston being back, it was either that or receive complaints about my choice of avatar from 2 this morning(Hitler) till I'm forced to change it. But that avatar change was me trying to make a statement and changing my mind.;)[/QUOTE]

Your avatar is one of my favorite game characters ever :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']Your avatar is one of my favorite game characters ever :)[/QUOTE]
He's one of my favorites too, right alongside Tommy Vercetti from Vice City.;)

Rockstar has a whole bunch of free avatars and what not you can link to if you wanted to change yours to something from one of their games. That's what I did.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']He's one of my favorites too, right alongside Tommy Vercetti from Vice City.;)

Rockstar has a whole bunch of free avatars and what not you can link to if you wanted to change yours to something from one of their games. That's what I did.;)[/QUOTE]

As good of an idea that is I can't do it because I would have to put auron from final fantasy 10 as my avatar before any other character. He's my number one favorite !

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know, with all of the running around for work I've been doing out of town, it never crossed my mind to check the in-store customer kiosks for pennied guides.

I'd do it myself, but I'm hibernating in the A/C today and tomorrow cuz it's supposed to be 90* n humid today and tomorrow.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the big touch screen LCD's? I am unaware of any other customer kiosks at Best Buy.

[quote name='imacgod']Are you talking about the big touch screen LCD's? I am unaware of any other customer kiosks at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]
No. I'm talking about the standard computers that they've had at BB for years in most stores that're usually placed on an endcap by the music section most times.

Another kiosk check here using a wildcard character: like the others, nothing (guides or otherwise) listed for a penny.

Also looked up a couple of aging guides that I'm interested in and they're still on the site at full price.

Looks like we need the instigator to get more details from his BB contact, or some confirmation/denial from Frosty/Lox. So far I'm skeptical.

[quote name='sk8punkandy']Hi, don’t know if this is old news or not, but last week Friday I stopped in at best buy and was chatting it up for a while with a cool best buy employee. I eventually asked if they had any penny guides and he said that he pennied some guides last month (June). Don’t know if any of you guys care, but I am just letting you know there was a drop last month at best buy. I didn’t ask for the name of the guides since they are probably all gone.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a drop last month as it would be extremely rare for that to slip by us completely. I'm thinking the employees may have had some old guides on the shelves still from the prior drop, with those being the ones they got rid of. I just recently (last week) saw several older pennied out guides still sitting on the Best Buy shelves, so it's definitely a possibility.

[quote name='Josef']I'm pretty sure there wasn't a drop last month as it would be extremely rare for that to slip by us completely. I'm thinking the employees may have had some old guides on the shelves still from the prior drop, with those being the ones they got rid of. I just recently (last week) saw several older pennied out guides still sitting on the Best Buy shelves, so it's definitely a possibility.[/QUOTE]

Sounds more like it - I just picked up a Metal Gear Peace Walker guide this week.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Sounds more like it - I just picked up a Metal Gear Peace Walker guide this week.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I just picked up a Brutal Legend at GS about a month ago. And there was an Army of Two 40th day guide sitting at the one BB near me for ages until I got it about a month ago.

Just curious to hear if the guys that are 'in the know' have heard anything? I was getting a game at Best Buy today and they had a stack of guides they'd pulled from the shelves sitting on a desk behind the gaming register. There were 3 Dragonquest IX guides, a Borderlands GOTY, and a guide with DC in the title (can't remember it, sorry!).

It's probably nothing, but those guides seem likely to be on the next drop list ... ?

It was probably DC Universe Online's guide, Shan. That's the only one I can think of with DC in the title. Although I think some BB stores also have a small graphic novel from DC on the guide shelves, so that might be pennying.

[quote name='Shan82']Just curious to hear if the guys that are 'in the know' have heard anything? I was getting a game at Best Buy today and they had a stack of guides they'd pulled from the shelves sitting on a desk behind the gaming register. There were 3 Dragonquest IX guides, a Borderlands GOTY, and a guide with DC in the title (can't remember it, sorry!).

It's probably nothing, but those guides seem likely to be on the next drop list ... ?[/QUOTE]

They pre-pulled about 9 or 10 different guides from my local store (Dragon Age, Dragon Age Awakening, the three you mentioned, Fallout GOTY, and a few others). I'd be willing to bet that a drop is happening tomorrow - my store usually won't prepull unless a drop is imminent.

I didn't see anything pulled off the shelves at the location near me earlier today, seems odd to have a drop in the middle of the month. Maybe they are starting to pull for a drop in the last week? I won't get too excited until either frosty or lox confirms or denies. Really hoping for next week and not tomorrow since I work tomorrow.

[quote name='Ultragamer']I didn't see anything pulled off the shelves at the location near me earlier today, seems odd to have a drop in the middle of the month. Maybe they are starting to pull for a drop in the last week? I won't get too excited until either frosty or lox confirms or denies. Really hoping for next week and not tomorrow since I work tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Drops always happen on the third or first Monday of the month (tomorrow is the third). It's very rare for them to happen on any other Monday.

The prepull could have been a product of my store's ever changing guide rack location - it seriously moves every other week. In any case, guides definitely disappeared, so I'd expect a drop soon either tomorrow or if not, next month (on the 1st or 15th).

Interesting. Hopefully we have some sort of confirmation from our usual sources before tomorrow morning OR they make a mistake and put them for $.01 on the site like they have in the past.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Interesting. Hopefully we have some sort of confirmation from our usual sources before tomorrow morning OR they make a mistake and put them for $.01 on the site like they have in the past.[/QUOTE]

All the guides I've seen pulled have already been removed from the site. :cry:

[quote name='Doomstink']All the guides I've seen pulled have already been removed from the site. :cry:[/QUOTE]

EDIT: dammit, I could have sworn someone mentioned Mafia II...

[quote name='Doomstink']The prepull could have been a product of my store's ever changing guide rack location - it seriously moves every other week.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the locations I frequent have changed the guides location more than twice on us, that could be it.

I hope someone east coast checks, but I'll probably be going back there to trade Brink for 30$ and preorder something, so I'll check by afternoon myself. But they looked to have already pulled them. I wish I'd thought to grab one of the Dragonquests since I'd like that one! :)

(oh, at my store, it should be noted that the guide shelf was just next to the game register ... Where they had recently moved the guides to, and they'd pulled these out from those).

My suspicion is drop, but I'd figured we'd have heard from the Best Buy 'insiders' by now!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just hope that BB never goes TRU on us and stops dropping them completely.[/QUOTE]

yeah what the hell happen to TRU? My TRUs still have fire emblem path of radiance, fire emblem radiant dawn, Zelda:TP (gamecube version), Metroid Prime Trilogy guides in stock at full price. These guides should have been penny out a long time ago.

P.S. Dropped by my local BB, it seems like all the Dragon Ages Origins/Awaking guide have been pulled. There was like 10+ of each about 3 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back