Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Some guides end up being worth far more than their MSRP for some random reason, usually a short production run.

Ones that come to mind are:
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Dragon Age: Origins CE
Fallout 3 GOTY CE
Assassin's Creed "LE" with art book
Bayonetta LE (UK import)

It all depends on the availability of the guide and finding someone to buy them.[/QUOTE]

I have all those except the last one. Someone had agreed to trade one to me but backed out; in hindsight I think they were lying to me about having one in the first place.

[quote name='shrike4242']Some guides end up being worth far more than their MSRP for some random reason, usually a short production run.

Ones that come to mind are:
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Dragon Age: Origins CE
Fallout 3 GOTY CE
Assassin's Creed "LE" with art book
Bayonetta LE (UK import)

It all depends on the availability of the guide and finding someone to buy them.[/QUOTE]

Add Dragon Quest V to the list because I sold mine for $85 shipped not too long ago.

[quote name='hellmutt']I have all those except the last one. Someone had agreed to trade one to me but backed out; in hindsight I think they were lying to me about having one in the first place.[/QUOTE]I paid a pretty penny for it and it was on the one of the last days Amazon.co.uk had it, and it's probably the best looking guide I own. Well worth importing it.

[quote name='postaboy']Add Dragon Quest V to the list because I sold mine for $85 shipped not too long ago.[/QUOTE]Forgot about that one. That's still worth some money as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't forget about the original Uncharted guide too. That was worth some bank at one point.[/QUOTE]It's leveled off a bit, though it's not at >MSRP pricing any longer.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's leveled off a bit, though it's not at >MSRP pricing any longer.[/QUOTE]
Interesting.

One guide that I'm shocked is supposedly hard to find now is the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 guide. It was originally a $15 guide, I believe, but I've seen copies going for $50-80 recently.:whistle2:#

EDIT: Apparently not on eBay but Amazon has a bunch of listings for pretty high prices.

Yeah on Borderlands GOTY I figured it would have good value down the line so I bought 3 copies for $13 or so at Gamestop when they had a 50% off guides sale. This guy may have done the same.

i know this is one reason i miss penny guide drops. i had a harvest moon animal parade guide i got from gamestop when it pennied out back in 2008 i believe it was. sat on it boxed away and just sold it few weeks ago on amazon for 100$ to a girl in hawaii.

heck i have a box of persona 4 guides(5 total 2 are my collection though) that as of now they are averaging 25$ im waiting for them to go up to the off the market rate then ill unload. guides are like stocks some stay same,some go way down in value,and then you have the odditities(mostly rpg ones due to the nicheness of the market) that will just go insanely up in price.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Interesting.

One guide that I'm shocked is supposedly hard to find now is the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 guide. It was originally a $15 guide, I believe, but I've seen copies going for $50-80 recently.:whistle2:#

EDIT: Apparently not on eBay but Amazon has a bunch of listings for pretty high prices.[/QUOTE]

BC2 eh? I have one of those I picked up for weapon information. Opened, of course, but that's really surprising.

nah drawing people are just keeping the board alive with chatter is all. that and many are hoping best buy doesnt end the penny guides. as it is gamestop is a dried up well for a good portion of the cag community due to either refusals or just lack of inventory.

[quote name='bgame2']Reporting from phone. Borderlands goty hard cover is 29.99. Had it scanned.[/QUOTE]

Actually found it? That would be more surprising.

I checked the other local BB tonight and all of the guides mentioned as a possible pre-pull were MIA.:cry:

Actually no, I stand corrected. They still had the GT5 spiral bound guide and copies of the DC Universe Online guide out.

Scored a copy of KZ3 and Mafia II from the GS on Veterans in Metaire, LA today. I mentioned the location because there was 1 of each left.

I had read this thread and was in there with my brother trading some stuff in, and saw them. I asked the guy to scan them and he said oh, you can have these. They're not worth the transaction. I tried to give my best puzzled look and he explained the process of pennying out something.

What's ironic is they were talking about how much they did wrong when the regional manager was there this morning. So he didn't catch the guides I suppose.

Just a head's up, I guess all hope isn't dead.

Sorry to bump, but I saw a KZ3 yesterday at the GS uptown in new orleans if anyone wants to make the trip. I already have it so I left it.

Just noticed Best Buy is doing a $10 off $19.99 and up guides. Maybe the guides we're looking for got pulled for this sale? Anybody check out Best Buy today or planning to during the week? I noticed one person mentioning Borderlands GOTY, for example.

[quote name='imacgod']Just noticed Best Buy is doing a $10 off $19.99 and up guides. Maybe the guides we're looking for got pulled for this sale? Anybody check out Best Buy today or planning to during the week? I noticed one person mentioning Borderlands GOTY, for example.[/QUOTE]

I just checked today. All guides are full price.
I checked Borderlands GOTY Hardcover and it was $29.99 - $10 = $19.99.

Bought a Super Scribblenauts guide at s GS while on a day to trip to Indiana. I was sort of shocked it was still there because it actually had the the price tag on it from 6/29/11 stating it was new for $.01. I have seen something like that before at BB but never a GS.

$10 off $19.99+ guides still requires a manager override. At least it did for my Borderlands GOTY guide today.

EDIT: BestBuy

[quote name='PapaSmerf']$10 off $19.99+ guides still requires a manager override. At least it did for my Borderlands GOTY guide today.[/QUOTE]

Requires override because it would not take 10 off or did it ring up a penny and the manager brought it back up to MSRP?

[quote name='PapaSmerf']$10 off $19.99+ guides still requires a manager override. At least it did for my Borderlands GOTY guide today.

EDIT: BestBuy[/QUOTE]

I bought 2 guides yesterday and they both had to be changed by a manager. They did not ring up a penney, just regular price. Tried to stack the gamer coupon with it and it did'nt take.

I thought maybe they would have fixed it on the system since they apparently did make some changes on the website. My guide had a YYMV yellow (25% off) sticker on it so I was hoping it was all automatic by today so I would get the additional % off with no hassle, but manager gave me both discounts. I can't imagine getting the $5 off coupon as well even if I had one.

[quote name='nixmahn']oh crap, just a thought, what if they planned the coupon thing and no penny drops until the coupon expires.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='neocisco']Uh...a good business decision? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

I know scary. Someone might have thought,"we were gonna penny these anyways, lets hold that off for a month and see what we can do with this coupon thing."

BB is getting there act together with their tradein program, this could mean bad news for the penny out guides and the rest of the their gaming loopholes.

[quote name='APreciousDragon']If you have the @gamer magazine, you can get a 20$ guide for 5$ this week. :)[/QUOTE]

It rings up properly now. Got a $9.99 guide (which rang up at that price) and the $5 off coupon worked seamlessly.

I'm a bit surprised more people aren't all over the $5 guides at BB this week. It pretty much costs me a minimum of $4 to ship a guide via Media Mail in a trade anyways... I have picked up:

Lego Star Wars III Clone Wars
Bulletstorm
LA Noire
Infamous 2

For $5 each.

Edit: For some reason Dead Space 2 didn't ring up on the $10 off guide promo for me today.

[quote name='hellmutt']I'm a bit surprised more people aren't all over the $5 guides at BB this week. It pretty much costs me a minimum of $4 to ship a guide via Media Mail in a trade anyways... I have picked up:

Bulletstorm
LA Noire
Infamous 2

For $5 each.

Edit: For some reason Dead Space 2 didn't ring up on the $10 off guide promo for me today.[/QUOTE]

Did you use the gamer mag coupon multiple times or keep buying the magazine? I'd do it but the mag costs $5, and if I can only use the coupon once doesn't really benefit me, if there's another way though please do tell.

[quote name='hellmutt']I'm a bit surprised more people aren't all over the $5 guides at BB this week. It pretty much costs me a minimum of $4 to ship a guide via Media Mail in a trade anyways... I have picked up:

Bulletstorm
LA Noire
Infamous 2

For $5 each.

Edit: For some reason Dead Space 2 didn't ring up on the $10 off guide promo for me today.[/QUOTE]

I am planning on getting a few guides tonight. How did you use the $5 coupon multiple times? Did they let you buy multiple guides at the same time and apply the coupon to each guide or did you just keep the coupon and use it multiple times?

EDIT - lol, ultragamer beat me by just seconds!

[quote name='Ultragamer']Did you use the gamer mag coupon multiple times or keep buying the magazine? I'd do it but the mag costs $5, and if I can only use the coupon once doesn't really benefit me, if there's another way though please do tell.[/QUOTE]

I have bought one guide at a time. I actually bought the subscription to the magazine for this, and of course you get your first issue right in the store. (Make sure yours has the coupons in it first!) What I have been doing is flipping to the coupon page, pointing at the coupon I want to use, and then holding the bar code out to them so that they can easily scan it. So far nobody has asked me to tear it out and hand it to them. I think it helps that I didn't pull the coupon page out of the magazine.

I picked up the LA Noire guide for $5 n change this afternoon at the one BB in my travels today.;) This was the first copy of the guide I've seen that actually wasn't all mangled to shit with bent covers and corners.

Oh and I spotted copies of the Borderpost hardcover at the same store I bought the LAN guide from. I had it price checked and it came up $29.99 still.:cry:

[quote name='hellmutt']I have bought one guide at a time. I actually bought the subscription to the magazine for this, and of course you get your first issue right in the store. (Make sure yours has the coupons in it first!) What I have been doing is flipping to the coupon page, pointing at the coupon I want to use, and then holding the bar code out to them so that they can easily scan it. So far nobody has asked me to tear it out and hand it to them. I think it helps that I didn't pull the coupon page out of the magazine.[/QUOTE]

So you bring in the magazine everytime you go to Bestbuy? Thinking of trying this tomorrow to grab some guides but want to make sure I understand before I do it.

[quote name='Ultragamer']So you bring in the magazine everytime you go to Bestbuy? Thinking of trying this tomorrow to grab some guides but want to make sure I understand before I do it.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully you don't have some hardasses working at your stores like there are at mine. The cashiers tell each other to 'make sure they rip out the coupon from the @Gamer magazine once it's used up'.:roll:

So no double/triple/quadruple dipping for me here.:cry:

[quote name='Ultragamer']So you bring in the magazine everytime you go to Bestbuy? Thinking of trying this tomorrow to grab some guides but want to make sure I understand before I do it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what I did. And Tonight, my luck ran out, and the coupon was confiscated out of the magazine. It was use number 5, I guess I shouldn't complain. BTW the first 4 times it worked it was all men cashiers, the 5th time was a woman. Not sure if that is relevant or not :)

This time round I scan the full page of the coupons and printed them out.
Double sided and with color.

Used it for around 7 times. No questions asked by the cashiers. They just scan and throw it away into the bin.

At best buy in rochester right now and they have any guide people could want. I see 3 halo reach le, a couple borderlands goty guides, and like 5 other hard cover guides. Are any of them real worth getting with this promotion?

It looks like there is a penny drop today, boys n girls.

Thanks to htown01 for pointing out that at least 5-7 guides are listed at $.01 on the Best Buy website right now.

Here's a link, but most(if not all) are out of stock for shipping or backordered.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-7821743854011199076&id=abcat0711000&type=category&usc=abcat0700000&cp=1&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&nrp=81&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031%7E%7Ecabcat0700000%23%230%23%2319r%7E%7Encabcat0711000%23%230%23%231q&add_to_pkg=false&pagetype=listing#storeInventoryLink

I put in an order for a few with store pickup, but only Metroid Prime: Other M is in stock for pickup.:roll:

Now to wait and see if Frosty or Lox can give us a list of any not on the site any more that dropped as well ::please Dragon Age Origins please:: lol

[quote name='JediJames2']Now to wait and see if Frosty or Lox can give us a list of any not on the site any more that dropped as well ::please Dragon Age Origins please:: lol[/QUOTE]
I was kinda hoping that we woulda had some sort of confirmation or list BEFORE this point. :cry: It kinda sucks having it be the day of a drop, since none of us have been able to really scout out our stores due to this being so spur of the moment.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back