Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Im was on the best buy forum and read cheapestgamer's post. I was pissed at first but now i think hes courageous. At the risk of sounding unpopular he did the right thing. Yeah, i miss gstting 1c guides too but the truth is that it was an oversight we all took advantage of.
I noticed with the previous wave of penny guides in December, all of the GameStop stores in my area are now required to ship back the guides to corporate, whereas before they used to destroy them. This January wave has been no different, I could see the stacks of guides piling up behind the counter, waiting to be shipped back.

I don't know if this policy shift can at all be attributed to IATCG's Best Buy post, but it's definitely costing GameStop a bunch of money and employee time having to rebox and ship these, all in the name of doing "the right thing".

Im was on the best buy forum and read cheapestgamer's post. I was pissed at first but now i think hes courageous. At the risk of sounding unpopular he did the right thing. Yeah, i miss gstting 1c guides too but the truth is that it was an oversight we all took advantage of.
lol, look at this dumb fuck.

IATCG, you're not fooling anyone. Go back to SD where you think you're king of the roost and people happily think you're all that and a bag of chips. You've been banned before, so I suggest you go before someone that can ban you does.

You're not that hard to track down with the mod tools, I speak from experience in this area. ;)

IATCG, you're not fooling anyone. Go back to SD where you think you're king of the roost and people happily think you're all that and a bag of chips. You've been banned before, so I suggest you go before someone that can ban you does.

You're not that hard to track down with the mod tools, I speak from experience in this area. ;)
i just realized you're not a mod anymore.

He could've did it in secret by sending an e-mail, but he wasn't afraid and posted publicly on a forum. He might have took advantage (like all of us dids at one point, me included) but I'm happy he called attention to the loophole which was against the publisher's policy - like it or not.
Ah, IATCG, the herpes of CAG. Just when you start to think there might be a chance that it's gone, another outbreak of sores appears.

...not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything.

......i knew that.

but i definitely remember IATCG (name just stands out). also, i remember the guy who collected dolls and how everyone ostracized him.
What was the name of the doll guy? Because I definitely remember that despite also being not around here for a while.

Do guides automatically drop nation wide? I was in store and they had multiple copies of Tales of zesitira and MGS V guides, but all rang up as FULL price!

Scanned both on the system in store and showed full price at little checkout screen. Do they need to hit a total button at checkout for it to be 1 penny or something?
Shouldnt have to. Very odd, my store just have them to me without ringing them up. But in the last the rang up for a penny. Other people here reported they rang up a penny as well, sorry not sure what to say.

Scanned both on the system in store and showed full price at little checkout screen. Do they need to hit a total button at checkout for it to be 1 penny or something?
I've encountered stores that put their own barcode on items to force it to ring up at their desired prices. Did you look at the label they scanned?

Looked just like any regular gamestop label with the price on the guide. In the past I had guides ring up 1 cent even though they were still labeled full price. Not sure about any other unique label Asgardian is talking about.

No luck this time around. The manager who normally hooks me up said the DM has gotten strict about destroying them in the last month or so. Not worth the risk for him even if he thinks it's a dumb policy.

Oh well, was good while it lasted.

FYI:

Metal Gear Solid PP guides both collector and regular pennied out at Gamestop .

I found some in the trash today
Guess that means the post that claimed they were shipping them back and blaming 1 guy for it was wrong.

Anyway, is there a guide for the ps4 version of GTA V? Not looking for last gen version of the guide.

Guess that means the post that claimed they were shipping them back and blaming 1 guy for it was wrong.

Anyway, is there a guide for the ps4 version of GTA V? Not looking for last gen version of the guide.
They're supposed to ship them back. They get pages of stickers to stick over the original that has a barcode and says "To be shipped back". Some stores must not. IATCG ruined Best Buys penny guides - which were far easier and more assured of being gotten for a penny than Gamestop (at least in prior drops. I made out like a bandit on this drop.).

Wet to another GS yesterday and saw a MGS CE guide in the rack. I tossed it on the counter and laid a penny beside it. The guy started laughing. He said "Are there others" and I told him COD CE and Tales and RotTR and he said "Let me check for those". He brought me another RotTR out of the back and said "Here. Give me another penny. It gets it out of my back room."

I wouldnt say "ruined", more like fixed a loophole. But i dont mind paying a few bucks to get a good guide on clearance like gta, though im looking for a ps4 version.

GzuK6MVgBTWSI.gif

I wouldnt say "ruined", more like fixed a loophole. But i dont mind paying a few bucks to get a good guide on clearance like gta, though im looking for a ps4 version.
90% of what we do is done by loophole. He (you) got mad because he (you) got cockblocked and wanted to ruin it for everyone else. I always liked him (you), but to pretend that the killing of penny guides was anything other than him (you) just being salty is bullshit and he (you) knows it.

So yesterday I went to pick up the CoD BLOPS 3 CE I had a hold confirmation on.  No dice.  They did give me a 20% off a used game coupon though, so not a total loss.

I went a store before that in the day that had one out.  As I was walking up to the counter with it and two Kindle cards, the cashier says in a low voice to his buddy that's at the counter checking out "want any guides for a penny? I have some in the back"

Strangely enough, he didn't deny me.

Had to go to Build a Bear with the kids and said let's take a peek at the GS next door. No guides on the floor. Talking to the lady working there. Asked about the guides. Turns out shes the manager and asked me to hold . Comes out from the back with this..[attachment=20056:20160130_181042.jpg]

Said I was doing her a favor taking them. Add this to all the star wars medals my kids got today was a great Freebie day !

Had to go to Build a Bear with the kids and said let's take a peek at the GS next door. No guides on the floor. Talking to the lady working there. Asked about the guides. Turns out shes the manager and asked me to hold . Comes out from the back with this.. 20160130_181042.jpg

Said I was doing her a favor taking them. Add this to all the star wars medals my kids got today was a great Freebie day !
Damn, she's a hoarder. A Series of Unfortunate Event pennied at least two years ago iirc.

I don't keep up with the thread as I haven't had much luck getting penny guides. Went into a store I don't normally visit to pickup an eBay gift card. Took a look around and found that the store had stickers the penny guides a penny. Picked up the following:
ToZ CE
Tomb Raider CE
Need for Speed standard
MGS V standard.

I had to work from a different office than normal today and got lucky at a nearby GS. When I walked in, I started looking at guides and a very friendly sales guy there said "Some of our guides are on sale for a penny. I know the Arkham Knight one is if it's still there." I picked up a few guides that I knew were pennies and he happily scanned a few others that I wasn't sure about. Picked up a MGS V CE, ToZ CE, Tomb Raider CE, and Arkham Knight softcover. This guy was awesome and may have won a permanent customer since the GS isn't too far from my regular office.

So the GS down the road from me still has around 4-5 of each of the guides, up on a shelf to the left of the register. Shouldn't they of already thrown them out? I really want to pick them up, but last week the manager said that she couldn't sell them since they were pennied out. What should I do?  

So the GS down the road from me still has around 4-5 of each of the guides, up on a shelf to the left of the register. Shouldn't they of already thrown them out? I really want to pick them up, but last week the manager said that she couldn't sell them since they were pennied out. What should I do?
Try buying them when someone else is working?

I rarely buy guides but whats the cheapest anyone has seen

Tales of Xillia 2: Prima Official Game Guide?

Going to buy it as a gift for my kid brother.

bread's done
Back