Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

if this were true, then it'd be a total mindf*ck! Are they playing with us? did they roll out a price change after opening b/c they knew someone would be there right at opening and then the flood would be unleashed?? I doubt it..but mid-day price changes and/or 'glitch-fixers' have happened before..

maybe it is the end of the train for penny guides at BB..but w/ years of you guys being successful, why stop now? why so serious?? why!?!

[quote name='lawdood']By that same token, in the first thread there's also a link to the GUIDE DISCUSSION THREAD.

While I give him kudos for his OP, often times if there is a drop, one needs the info ASAP the morning of.

Also, in the past, often employees of BB get heads up the weekend prior to a Monday drop to actually confirm there'll be one and a couple of times I believe, vahn even posted the guides that were dropping well ahead of that Monday.

These are the posts some of us come into this thread to look for prior to Monday as well as first thing Monday morning.

Instead of people jumping on people like me who are complaining about the clutter and discussion taking place here which shouldn't be, why don't those people simply shut up themselves, pull their heads out of their behinds, and post in the guide discussion thread that's been created for those very posts. Why so much hostility against people who are actually trying to get people to follow the rules?[/QUOTE]

Because your post are hypocritical. You tell us not to clutter the thread but you yourself post just as much clutter. If you were truly genuine about lessening clutter you wouldn't presume to tell people off. You'd just PM the mod and them to delete posts which have nothing to do with pennied guides instead of going on and on about the problem which you can't fix because you're not a mod.

Take glockglock's post for example. A perfect example of clutter. You have someone telling people off for getting their hopes up and creating clutter, and then makes two posts about that one issue all the while not having any worthwhile information about the drops. Doesn't that scream hypocrite to you?

if this were true, then it'd be a total mindf*ck! Are they playing with us? did they roll out a price change after opening b/c they knew someone would be there right at opening and then the flood would be unleashed?? I doubt it..but mid-day price changes and/or 'glitch-fixers' have happened before..

maybe it is the end of the train for penny guides at BB..but w/ years of you guys being successful, why stop now? why so serious?? why!?!
Wasn't there a corporate email last year about ending the penny guides? After that fiasco with bestbuy.com in which everyone in CAG and SD ordered a few thousands penny guides I think BB is tightening up. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the end of pennied guides from best buy.

[quote name='judgedee']Because your post are hypocritical. You tell us not to clutter the thread but you yourself post just as much clutter. If you were truly genuine about lessening clutter you wouldn't presume to tell people off. You'd just PM the mod and them to delete posts which have nothing to do with pennied guides instead of going on and on about the problem which you can't fix because you're not a mod.

Take glockglock's post for example. A perfect example of clutter. You have someone telling people off for getting their hopes up and creating clutter, and then makes two posts about that one issue all the while not having any worthwhile information about the drops. Doesn't that scream hypocrite to you?

[/QUOTE]

Whatever man, I'm just trying to keep the thread on-topic, but apparently you like to read through pages and pages of people talking about a phantom "epic" guide drop so I'm guessing a few more posts from me shouldn't bother you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='token2k6']if this were true, then it'd be a total mindf*ck! Are they playing with us? did they roll out a price change after opening b/c they knew someone would be there right at opening and then the flood would be unleashed?? I doubt it..but mid-day price changes and/or 'glitch-fixers' have happened before..

maybe it is the end of the train for penny guides at BB..but w/ years of you guys being successful, why stop now? why so serious?? why!?![/QUOTE]

I guess the only way we could find out is take some of those guides mentioned and scan them again. Or hide one and check a couple days later... Hopefully not the end of penny guides

[quote name='judgedee']Because your post are hypocritical. You tell us not to clutter the thread but you yourself post just as much clutter. If you were truly genuine about lessening clutter you wouldn't presume to tell people off. You'd just PM the mod and them to delete posts which have nothing to do with pennied guides instead of going on and on about the problem which you can't fix because you're not a mod.

Take glockglock's post for example. A perfect example of clutter. You have someone telling people off for getting their hopes up and creating clutter, and then makes two posts about that one issue all the while not having any worthwhile information about the drops. Doesn't that scream hypocrite to you?[/QUOTE]

Leave him be. Your words are wasted.
:D

[quote name='judgedee']

Wasn't there a corporate email last year about ending the penny guides? After that fiasco with bestbuy.com in which everyone in CAG and SD ordered a few thousands penny guides I think BB is tightening up. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the end of pennied guides from best buy.[/QUOTE]

Just like every month that they give away free games it's the end of it... Or every time they screw up a B2G1 sale, it's the end of it... Or every time anyone orders a penny guide, it's the end of it. And yet, all of those things still happen month after month after month...

Crap. My Best Buy pulled more than half of their guides off the shelf today.
I went in this Sunday to scope things out and shelves were stuffed and overflowing.
Here is what used to be in the giant gaping holes that are there now.

Prince of Persia
Farcry 2
Halo Wars
Resident Evil 5
GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City
Star Wars: Clone Wars
plus a whole bunch more.

It must of been more than a hundred guides they took away.
I noticed AC2 CE, DA:O CE, L4D2 are still on the shelf, but not much else.

I thought I'd add my two bits into this. (Mods if there is a guide discussion thread, please move this there. I just didn't find one when I looked.)

Around one thirty pacific time (for those who thought the drop would happen later in the day), I went to BB and noticed its guide section had completely changed from the way it was before. A number of guides had been moved/removed, but the same time, a number of them that were supposedly going to be pennied were still there. They still had LoZ, Batman, AC2 LE, but just in fewer number, and without any price tags. So I go and grab AC2 and Bioshock 2 and have them price checked, they ring up full price. So I decide to do something different and noticed the TMNT Smash Up guide had been pulled. I ask about it, and they didn't say it was no longer in the system, but that they are waiting for new orders for it, but they should get more in due time according to the head of the deartmen. Not sure what that means.

Other than that (and on actual reduced guide news), I went to target and noticed the guides there on clearance had gone down in price from 13.xx to 9.xx. Halo Wars, Scribblenauts, Madden 10 and a few others which escape my memory. Its not pennied guides, but its something.

[quote name='DjHero_X']What do they usually do with pennied out guide send them back to the mfg?[/QUOTE]

they are supposed to be destroy so the store could get credit from the publisher

Don't read too much into my previous post. I should have added that this one store I referred to rarely has any penny guides (don't even recall getting one from them ever). I actually hit up three BB's at opening (lol) and three more afterwards. One opens at 8am, one at 9am, and the rest at 10. Nobody was packing up guides in the other stores I went to and I managed to score a bunch of oldies including 3 sealed HC Mirror's Edge.

[quote name='ndjn3979'][/QUOTE]

[quote name='ndjn3979']He's just bitter.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ndjn3979']Guide beggar or Forum nazi?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ndjn3979']Leave him be. Your words are wasted.
:D[/QUOTE]

Great posts! Thanks for trolling, I mean, participating in the thread! :bomb:

I'm going to admit, there is a lot less whining going on here today than I anticipated. And it seems really unlikely that this is the end of the penny guides. If this was a problem they were going to fix it would seem like it would have been done years ago.

It's not so much the clutter that concerns me about the useless discussion, its the constant bumping of the thread (of which I'm guilty of for making this post). The more you bump the thread, the more people you'll get in here and the harder it will get to obtain guides (more CAGs in my area start penny guide hunting with each drop). Creating a hype train before anticipated drops causes your chances of getting guides to fall significantly because:

A. You're tipping off more CAGs and lurkers to be prepared to roll out early on Monday
B. You're giving other CAGs and lurkers an opportunity to hide potential drops
C. You're tipping off other sites to potential drops (SD, FW, DP, etc.)
AND
C. You're getting more people into the thread in general and creating new competition for yourself and others

Unless there is a confirmation of a drop, for the benefit of yourself and others, you should keep discussion to the discussion thread. Hyping up a potential drop and spending pages upon pages discussing it, does not help anyone. I'm actually glad a drop didn't happen today so this hype train could get de-railed.

Yes, the discussions/whining/complaining/ego self-masturabation/etc. posts from this morning onwards were moved in here. You're not seeing things.

Back on Topic.
So I went to Best Buy today and noticed the AC2 LE guide was still there. Some stuff from the old drops were also still there like MKvsDC etc etc. They're still a penny apparently so I guess we continue to play the waiting game.

Frosty or lox, can either of you offer any insight on some of the stories about guides being pulled later during the day?

Stay strong, GLOCKGLOCK. Some people are just beyond hope.

I spoke too soon. They did pull the guides at work. They were all packed up ready to go where ever. I did take a Brutal Legend guide out and put it back on the shelves behind the other guides.

I really think there will be a drop on Monday. The success rate doesn't seem like it's going to be so high this time. My store has only pulled the guides once and I went out back took what I wanted and bought them sans employee number. It was the Mirrors Edge / Resident Evil 5 LE drop. Looks like I'll have to do the same with this one.

I try not to take to many. Just what I need/want. If there's a guide in demand on here I'll try for extras. If it's any CE/LE I'll be all over them. Store near me has 8 Dragon Age CEs.

Oh and I'll be there at open on Monday both on my way to school and cause I think there will be a drop. If not oh well already on my way by. I'll see who's a friend that's opening and have them check a sku or 2 for me and have them text me. Either inventory between 7am-930am or AP 930am-10am. Then I will of course post results.

I find it funny how there is no guide drop discussion going on in this, the discussion thread; while the regular thread has all the discussion in it.

[quote name='Josef']I find it funny how there is no guide drop discussion going on in this, the discussion thread; while the regular thread has all the discussion in it.[/QUOTE]

I sort of wish we would hold the conversations in here. I mean look at the view count. Near 725 viewing in the deal forum, and only 42 in here (SD&BR forum). No wonder BB and GS is cracking down, all those lurkers and new members joining the penny guide hunt fray.

As for today, I didn't bother. No guides worth trying to pick up IMO. I fear they'll do with Dao:CE what they did with the FO3:CE...

Busted my penny guide cherry today!

Picked up:
Codes & Cheats Summer 2009
Godfather 2
NCAA Football 10

Also got Left For Dead 2 for $9.99. I picked out the most bored looking cashier and had L4D2 on top. She barely even registered the fact that 3 of the items were a penny.

UPDATE: Went to another BB near me and picked up:
NGS2
another NCAA Football 10

Got briefly double-teamed by two cashiers, but I smoothed talked the girl cashier who was checking me out into helping me. The other cashier just said something like, "Yea, the old ones are like that." Win!

Meh, second time in my hunt that the store was cleaned out well before the drop. I hope it's their usual "Let's clean the penny guides once a year" routine. Otherwise, it's looking grim for me with no action at ToysRus or Gamestop.

It's not an error. One can list an item for any price they want. That guide is not moving for $12 shipped on ebay. Manhunt looks like it does a little worse. The trade is good if each of you want to pay shipping for the respective guides (especially if they were acquired for a penny). Where the heck did you dig this thread up from. It must have been in a coma.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']It's not an error. One can list an item for any price they want. That guide is not moving for $12 shipped on ebay. Manhunt looks like it does a little worse. The trade is good if each of you want to pay shipping for the respective guides (especially if they were acquired for a penny). Where the heck did you dig this thread up from. It must have been in a coma.[/QUOTE]

I know you can put any price, I just wanted to make sure there isn't a variant or something that is worth $$$$. I just get nervous when I see a listing like that!

I am going to trade at a CAG meetup. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something about the Burnout guide that made it "special".

I thought I would bring this thread back since the reduced guide thread has become the new discussion thread. ;)

Hopefully the discussions will move back here.

Wow. I even forgot this existed, since I figured the bulk of CAG's just chose to use the main guide thread for discussions.

I thought a mod would've locked this one up by now since it wasn't being used and only taking up space on the servers.

Does anyone know if the normal mass effect 2,left 4 dead 2, splinter cell conviction, final fantasy 13 normal or collectors, or medal of honor normal or collectors has hit a lower price at gamestop? ie $1

[quote name='shrike4242']Since there's no drop on-going, how about we let the conversation die down until we have something?

Regardless, there's a discussion thread that is the place to discuss other items related to guides that aren't drop-related.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many more CAGs will be posting after Shrike's post :lol:

Nobody used this thread because IATCG himself declared it dead, and honestly, for the most part nobody seemed to care much about posts in the main thread even without an actual drop. Most posts were still about guide drops. Not sure where all the sudden mod attention came from, but whatever. Guess the Blockbuster thread can go on talking about nonsense all it wants, though.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Nobody used this thread because IATCG himself declared it dead, and honestly, for the most part nobody seemed to care much about posts in the main thread even without an actual drop. Most posts were still about guide drops. Not sure where all the sudden mod attention came from, but whatever. Guess the Blockbuster thread can go on talking about nonsense all it wants, though.[/QUOTE]
It was likely the discussion of flipping spare copies of guides to stores for cash that got it nuked, since there seems to be a disdain for flipping discussion of any kind on CAG. Although I emailed Cheapy himself a while ago and he said that he has instituted no such policy, but guessed that some mods are afraid that flipping discussion would dominate every deal thread if it was allowed.

He also said he would look into it. This was back in early November of 2010 that I received the reply. I haven't heard anything back since then, so he must have decided to leave it up to the discretion of the mods.

Either way, hopefully there won't be too much clutter happening in the newly relaunched thread and people will actually read the OP. But that's like wishing for a million dollars on a shooting star. You've got a snowball's chance in hell of it actually happening.:lol:

I actually like it; can shoot the shit in this thread and leave actual drop info in the other... hopefully they delete the dumb questions that are answered in the OP as well when they pop up.

I was just in Best Buy trading in a couple games and went over to the guides to see an employee with a list in her hand and watched her pull a Civ-something guide. I didn't see some of the CE's that everyone keeps asking about.

Didn't want the hounds comin after me, since that's all the info I have atm, so figured I'd post here and not get everyones hopes up just yet. Maybe someone else can get more intel before I can, since I'm stuck back at work for a few hours

I was just in Best Buy trading in a couple games and went over to the guides to see an employee with a list in her hand and watched her pull a Civ-something guide. I didn't see some of the CE's that everyone keeps asking about.

Didn't want the hounds comin after me, since that's all the info I have atm, so figured I'd post here and not get everyones hopes up just yet. Maybe someone else can get more intel before I can, since I'm stuck back at work for a few hours

[quote name='godsmack13']I was just in Best Buy trading in a couple games and went over to the guides to see an employee with a list in her hand and watched her pull a Civ-something guide. I didn't see some of the CE's that everyone keeps asking about.

Didn't want the hounds comin after me, since that's all the info I have atm, so figured I'd post here and not get everyones hopes up just yet. Maybe someone else can get more intel before I can, since I'm stuck back at work for a few hours[/QUOTE]

Was it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-...r_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1297797477&sr=8-11

[quote name='godsmack13']I was just in Best Buy trading in a couple games and went over to the guides to see an employee with a list in her hand and watched her pull a Civ-something guide. I didn't see some of the CE's that everyone keeps asking about.

Didn't want the hounds comin after me, since that's all the info I have atm, so figured I'd post here and not get everyones hopes up just yet. Maybe someone else can get more intel before I can, since I'm stuck back at work for a few hours[/QUOTE]

One possibility is she was grabbing a .com order, if it was only one guide and one copy.

No, I don't think that was the guide I saw her grab slowdive. Lemme see if I can find it while I'm stuck in traffic hehe.

I was wondering that too Pooky, but I couldn't remember if BB did that or not. And the glance I had at the list in her hand gave me more the impression of an inventory list.

I did find it odd for a Tuesday, but wanted to throw it out there in case anyone else happened to be goin to BB anyway.

Edit:
I'm guessing it was a .com order, cuz I'm pretty sure it was the Civ 5 guide, and that's still on the site.

Sorry gang, guess I got a little jumpy when I saw her grabbing it. And they seem to have been on the same schedule for quite a while now, didn't want us to be caught unaware cuz it was a different day. I keep waiting for them to screw with us and change it up :)

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Nobody used this thread because IATCG himself declared it dead, and honestly, for the most part nobody seemed to care much about posts in the main thread even without an actual drop. Most posts were still about guide drops. Not sure where all the sudden mod attention came from, but whatever. Guess the Blockbuster thread can go on talking about nonsense all it wants, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's probably my fault since I brought up my blog and started talking about a No Homers fort of guides.

Sorry folks.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Yeah, that's probably my fault since I brought up my blog and started talking about a No Homers fort of guides.

Sorry folks.[/QUOTE]
Whatever it was, I still don't understand why the 'offending' posts couldn't have just been nuked and the old thread left in place, since it was just rebooted on New Years and only had around 600 or so posts.:roll:

Is it not CAG policy to start new threads @ ~ 500 posts? That's how the RPG thread has run for a while now at least. I swear I saw that was a new thing about 6 months or so ago, could be wrong.

Edit: looks at post count for this thread... clearly not...

If that's the case, then the Kmart and the other major deal threads would have to be rebooted every two weeks.:roll: I'm getting the sneaking suspicion more and more that the closure was due to the personal distaste of the mods with the topic(s) of discussion in the 'old' guide thread.

If that's the case, then whichever ones are showing bias and locking threads due to such issues need to step down since they cannot moderate the forum evenly. Case in point, all of the ninja editing/deletions of posts that in no way, shape or form go against the TOS of CAG.

I went into a local best buy today and there guides section was MIA i asked one of the employees what was up and he said that they will no longer be carrying guides :( ... whats up with that

[quote name='bredbu']I went into a local best buy today and there guides section was MIA i asked one of the employees what was up and he said that they will no longer be carrying guides :( ... whats up with that[/QUOTE]

... Oh, fuck.

Although I'm not particularly surprised why a Best Buy store wouldn't want to carry them.

[quote name='bredbu']I went into a local best buy today and there guides section was MIA i asked one of the employees what was up and he said that they will no longer be carrying guides :( ... whats up with that[/QUOTE]

Ah fuck. Well, let's not jump to conclusions until we have an explanation from Frosty and 'em.

bread's done
Back